Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I been watching Dave Fortress on Giant Bomb... Dave Snider FTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I haven't played in like 5 years now but it's freaking me out how many of the hotkeys I remember off the dome.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Post more stonesense screenshots. It is the only way a normal person could get excited to play this game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DebonaireD posted:

Post more stonesense screenshots. It is the only way a normal person could get excited to play this game.

Is that the program that renders the lil isometric views. I wish someone could make a realtime version of that.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Is that the program that renders the lil isometric views. I wish someone could make a realtime version of that.

It is realtime and .34 had a version you could play using but it was clunky. DF modders are nuts

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I still have my developer's Dwarf Fortress crayon drawing framed in my office. I always come back to this game, but man I wish I had like a week off to just dig into the game again.

My usual strategy is to expedition like 3 or 4 times to a location and dig out and construct as much as I can before winter, then let them die out and resettle it the following year. By the fourth time I usually have enough storage and workshop space to let my dwarves work so that we have food and alcohol for the winter, and so I can trade for everything I'm short on by the time the caravans come.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

It is realtime and .34 had a version you could play using but it was clunky. DF modders are nuts

Call me back when I can play DF through stonesense because I've been spoiled by Rimworld

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

CountingWizard posted:

I still have my developer's Dwarf Fortress crayon drawing framed in my office. I always come back to this game, but man I wish I had like a week off to just dig into the game again.

My usual strategy is to expedition like 3 or 4 times to a location and dig out and construct as much as I can before winter, then let them die out and resettle it the following year. By the fourth time I usually have enough storage and workshop space to let my dwarves work so that we have food and alcohol for the winter, and so I can trade for everything I'm short on by the time the caravans come.

why not just settle it once, and then, not let any dwarves die, instead.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

why not just settle it once, and then, not let any dwarves die, instead.

Because I am a death god that demands a steady stream of dwarven corpses. My favorite settlement ever involved a small unassuming fishing village that remained small and peaceful because the immigrants would get drowned in the basement aquifer when they inevitably registered for citizenship at the Immigration Office, where the floor would fall out from under them.

Also because gently caress pausing to micromanage every couple of minutes to make sure I'm using my dwarves the most efficiently.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

CountingWizard posted:

Because I am a death god that demands a steady stream of dwarven corpses. My favorite settlement ever involved a small unassuming fishing village that remained small and peaceful because the immigrants would get drowned in the basement aquifer when they inevitably registered for citizenship at the Immigration Office, where the floor would fall out from under them.

Also because gently caress pausing to micromanage every couple of minutes to make sure I'm using my dwarves the most efficiently.

b...badass....

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do not drown your dwarves

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Larry Parrish posted:

Call me back when I can play DF through stonesense because I've been spoiled by Rimworld

You can, there's even a version for the most recent release.

CountingWizard posted:

Okay, glad I'm not the only one who calls it that. I just use a floor lousy with spike traps. Then, I forbid the corpses, let my dwarves rifle through their clothes/possessions/poo poo, and pull a lever that sends water through the room and out down into the caverns. Squeaky clean.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

Just use fastdwarf 1 1.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Schnedwob posted:

You can, there's even a version for the most recent release.

Okay, glad I'm not the only one who calls it that. I just use a floor lousy with spike traps. Then, I forbid the corpses, let my dwarves rifle through their clothes/possessions/poo poo, and pull a lever that sends water through the room and out down into the caverns. Squeaky clean.

I like to watch the Dwarves I drop in the water panic in horror when they realize they are swimming in flesh soup from all the rotting corpses in the water.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

CountingWizard posted:

I like to watch the Dwarves I drop in the water panic in horror when they realize they are swimming in flesh soup from all the rotting corpses in the water.

Insanely hosed Up Dwarf Fortress Strategies ITT :black101:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Just use fastdwarf 1 1.

Lol at whatever that is. You people sound insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Just use fastdwarf 1 1.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played Dwarf Fortress in the MOMA once for 15 seconds before I went over to the Street Fighter II Super Turbo cabinet they had to whoop on 13 year old European girls who had probably never seen an arcade stick before.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Lol at whatever that is. You people sound insane

its like a console command to make your dwarves fast and teleport. But with an external memory editor in command prompt form.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*In the Club* its like a console command to make your dwarves fast and teleport. But with an external memory editor in command prompt form.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fastdwarf 1.1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like the changes they made past 0.9.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Average Bear posted:

*In the Club* its like a console command to make your dwarves fast and teleport. But with an external memory editor in command prompt form.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

Just use fastdwarf 1 1.

if youre going to doxx me i ask that you leave my grindr profile and measurements out of it

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

In Training posted:

I don't like the changes they made past 0.9.

To be honest I don't really find adventurer mode to be very fun. The game world is just too large and there isn't enough "AI do this for me" commands to speed things along. I just find there are too many options for combat actions.

I wish they would replace Adventure mode with a Classic DF mode where you dig into a mountain and do have a Z-axis. When he did away with that, I feel like it made my games hit or miss whether I would eventually find something interesting while digging.

I would also like for a Kingdom management layer to Dwarf Fortress given the state of the game right now, with the ability to move units across roads or underground cavern networks. I'm working with a pal on modifying the original whitebox/little brown book D&D system to meld seamlessly with the mass combat rules of Delta's book of war, and I think it could work for a system like DF too.

Basically:
  • A unit is composed of 10 of the same creatures.
  • There are no hp, instead a unit can be wounded up to its Hit-Die (HD).
  • A creature that is HD/level 8 or higher can stand on its own as a combat unit, and is able to take 1 wound for every 10 HD the creature possesses.
  • Every +3 in bonuses converts to +1 bonus in mass combat.
  • Every 3HD a unit of creatures (not individual) possesses, provides +1 to attack.
  • Every 1d6 of damage a creature causes equals 1 wound it causes if it hits.
  • Instead of rolling a 1d20 to hit, in mass combat you roll a d6 and add your attack bonus.
  • To hit a unit with No Armor = 3, Leather = 4, Chain = 5, Plate = 6, Negative AC = 7; with negative AC being invincible vs. attacks that have no bonuses.
  • All Units attack and wound simultaneously.
  • At the end of each turn of mass combat, there are 3 rounds of D&D combat if two or more characters are engaged in combat against each other, or if players just want to engage a dangerous monster as a D&D group rather than with their army units.
  • Characters can embed with a unit and lead it, granting an extra attack if they are large enough to stand alone, or granting an attack bonus of +1 or +2 to the unit depending on level. (Also +1 to morale).

There is a bit more than that, but we are playtesting right now to work out the kinks and speed gameplay. I'm sure you could scale this system up to proper army sizes of 100 creatures in a unit, and disallow stand-alone units.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 4, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh for sure man

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

if youre going to doxx me i ask that you leave my grindr profile and measurements out of it

Haha.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

CountingWizard posted:

To be honest I don't really find adventurer mode to be very fun. The game world is just too large and there isn't enough "AI do this for me" commands to speed things along. I just find there are too many options for combat actions.

I wish they would replace Adventure mode with a Classic DF mode where you dig into a mountain and do have a Z-axis. When he did away with that, I feel like it made my games hit or miss whether I would eventually find something interesting while digging.

I would also like for a Kingdom management layer to Dwarf Fortress given the state of the game right now, with the ability to move units across roads or underground cavern networks. I'm working with a pal on modifying the original whitebox/little brown book D&D system to meld seamlessly with the mass combat rules of Delta's book of war, and I think it could work for a system like DF too.

Basically:
  • A unit is composed of 10 of the same creatures.
  • There are no hp, instead a unit can be wounded up to its Hit-Die (HD).
  • A creature that is HD/level 8 or higher can stand on its own as a combat unit, and is able to take 1 wound for every 10 HD the creature possesses.
  • Every +3 in bonuses converts to +1 bonus in mass combat.
  • Every 3HD a unit of creatures (not individual) possesses, provides +1 to attack.
  • Every 1d6 of damage a creature causes equals 1 wound it causes if it hits.
  • Instead of rolling a 1d20 to hit, in mass combat you roll a d6 and add your attack bonus.
  • To hit a unit with No Armor = 3, Leather = 4, Chain = 5, Plate = 6, Negative AC = 7; with negative AC being invincible vs. attacks that have no bonuses.
  • All Units attack and wound simultaneously.
  • At the end of each turn of mass combat, there are 3 rounds of D&D combat if two or more characters are engaged in combat against each other, or if players just want to engage a dangerous monster as a D&D group rather than with their army units.
  • Characters can embed with a unit and lead it, granting an extra attack if they are large enough to stand alone, or granting an attack bonus of +1 or +2 to the unit depending on level. (Also +1 to morale).

There is a bit more than that, but we are playtesting right now to work out the kinks and speed gameplay. I'm sure you could scale this system up to proper army sizes of 100 creatures in a unit, and disallow stand-alone units.

this is some good poo poo my man, make sure to post the rest of your thesis in this thread as well

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There is a bit more than that, but

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CountingWizard hosed around with this message at Aug 4, 2015 around 13:00

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Dworf Fartress

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Even he couldn't read his own post the first time.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

There is a bit more than that, but

The "bit more than that" part is: what triggers morale checks, and what is the order of operations for resolving a mass combat turn.

I'm not entirely sure I've ever posted in the Imp Zone before, so I'm not really sure its the appropriate place to even explain the system. I was just showing that it could be possible for Dwarf Fortress to aggregate it's detailed mechanics into larger scale gameplay. But gently caress if that will ever happen, given that Toady decided to continue simulating the entire population limit of 3,000 dwarves right down to bone, blood, and muscle for the tiniest body parts; along with each dwarf's thoughts, likes, and dislikes. what each of their individual farts smells like.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 4, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Imp Zone is for jokes about games and for positively Caring about games. Go with God.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

CountingWizard posted:

what each of their individual farts smells like.

that's the imp zone spirit

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Toady's working on a research system where bards and scholars will come to your fortress and talk with each other, inventing unique musical forms and schools of thought. I'm really excited for this.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Buschmaki posted:

Toady's working on a research system where bards and scholars will come to your fortress and talk with each other, inventing unique musical forms and schools of thought. I'm really excited for this.

are you for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't read the huge post.

• Locked thread