Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

CountingWizard posted:

I like to watch the Dwarves I drop in the water panic in horror when they realize they are swimming in flesh soup from all the rotting corpses in the water.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
adventure mode owns because youre an omniscient being controlling the actions of some backwoods hick while they are fully aware of it, so they just cry uncontrollably while you operate a mobile amputation clinic

Dec 26, 2012

CountingWizard posted:

To be honest I don't really find adventurer mode to be very fun. The game world is just too large and there isn't enough "AI do this for me" commands to speed things along. I just find there are too many options for combat actions.

I wish they would replace Adventure mode with a Classic DF mode where you dig into a mountain and do have a Z-axis. When he did away with that, I feel like it made my games hit or miss whether I would eventually find something interesting while digging.

I would also like for a Kingdom management layer to Dwarf Fortress given the state of the game right now, with the ability to move units across roads or underground cavern networks. I'm working with a pal on modifying the original whitebox/little brown book D&D system to meld seamlessly with the mass combat rules of Delta's book of war, and I think it could work for a system like DF too.

Basically:
  • A unit is composed of 10 of the same creatures.
  • There are no hp, instead a unit can be wounded up to its Hit-Die (HD).
  • A creature that is HD/level 8 or higher can stand on its own as a combat unit, and is able to take 1 wound for every 10 HD the creature possesses.
  • Every +3 in bonuses converts to +1 bonus in mass combat.
  • Every 3HD a unit of creatures (not individual) possesses, provides +1 to attack.
  • Every 1d6 of damage a creature causes equals 1 wound it causes if it hits.
  • Instead of rolling a 1d20 to hit, in mass combat you roll a d6 and add your attack bonus.
  • To hit a unit with No Armor = 3, Leather = 4, Chain = 5, Plate = 6, Negative AC = 7; with negative AC being invincible vs. attacks that have no bonuses.
  • All Units attack and wound simultaneously.
  • At the end of each turn of mass combat, there are 3 rounds of D&D combat if two or more characters are engaged in combat against each other, or if players just want to engage a dangerous monster as a D&D group rather than with their army units.
  • Characters can embed with a unit and lead it, granting an extra attack if they are large enough to stand alone, or granting an attack bonus of +1 or +2 to the unit depending on level. (Also +1 to morale).

There is a bit more than that, but we are playtesting right now to work out the kinks and speed gameplay. I'm sure you could scale this system up to proper army sizes of 100 creatures in a unit, and disallow stand-alone units.

sounds sick my man

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

zeal posted:

are you for real

Yes this is actually happening. Music, poetry, sculpture, all kinds of art. Also philosophy, and even martial arts.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I started playing dwarf fortress again a few weeks ago, messed with worldgen parameters so I could get a volcano embark site with coal and flux (check out this thing)

the first volcano site I found had huge cliffs and I was a little skeptical till I embarked and it looked like this:

the top circle is a volcano crater, the two bottom circles are almost perfectly conical rocky peaks about 20 zlevels high. I was going to make some kind of sky fort on them

here's the shitter, I played on this map for a while, then somehow deleted it and all of the seed data (even though I thought I had dumped the seed to a text file) so I lost the world completely. still not sure how the hell I did that but I am sad about it

bonus screenshots of my stonemason being a dick

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerkops posted:

bonus screenshots of my stonemason being a dick

lmao

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Are marks dwarves always retarded? I can't get them to fire from behind fortifications. Whenever they do fire, it's while they're charging a mass of undead before bashing them with their crossbows.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
they need to be proficient marksdwarves before they can fire through them i think

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress do you even make them mine

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frank.club posted:

You assign them to the miner duty and designate an area to be mined?

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

frank.club posted:

d key (for designate) -> highlight some walls -> strike the earth

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to watch a video

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
df is very noob unfriendly

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I downloaded that df hack and run stone sense whenever I need to visualize something.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Use a tile set. It's gonna be really hard if you're going with ASCII. The starter pack has everything you need

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Friendly Tumour posted:

df is very noob unfriendly

i hate when people act like you can learn dorf fort solely by immersion. i've been playing for a couple years and i still keep the wiki up just in case i need to check poo poo

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Friendly Tumour posted:

You assign them to the miner duty and designate an area to be mined?

make sure they have picks too

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerkops posted:

make sure they have picks too

thats completely optional

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you have the masochistic personality required for dork fortress, for gos sake get dwarf therapist. It's the most important mod.

ur welcum

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Dwarf therapist is good because you can make children work.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Dwarf therapist is good because you can make children work.

What the hell?!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This thread is a drat mad house!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

net cafe scandal posted:

This thread is a drat mad house!

perhaps in the mad, mad world of Gaming, the truest clarity can be foudn only in insanity.......

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hell no.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Schnedwob posted:

i hate when people act like you can learn dorf fort solely by immersion. i've been playing for a couple years and i still keep the wiki up just in case i need to check poo poo

I learned it from just playing it for the most part.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Average Bear posted:

It's gonna be really hard if you're going with ASCII.

Uhh.. lmfao. And how are you supposed to feel like you've entered an insane late 80s computer matrix when your able to know exactly what your looking at after you've played for 12 or so hours?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Wormskull posted:

I learned it from just playing it for the most part.

same but I started out with it back when everything was on the same floor and the game just ended when you drilled deep enough and even then it was a pain in the rear end

now there's like menus nested inside menus nested inside other menus just to tell your guys to maybe pick up a hammer and hit the thing that's eating them

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 6, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Learning by doing is the funnest way you freaking noobs

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

this game seems like the equivalent to single player eve online

METATERREN
Jul 3, 2015

I enjoy putting things in my mouth.
This game takes too long gently caress

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Schnedwob posted:

Sounds fun.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

METATERREN posted:

This game takes too long gently caress

if you dont want to dig poo poo out and just get into the game you can reclaim an old ruined fort that the ai built when you're in the embark screen, and sometimes there's food and other poo poo laying around. i think there's also the possibility of what murdered the previous inhabitants hanging around but i wouldnt worry about it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robot Randy posted:

if you dont want to dig poo poo out and just get into the game you can reclaim an old ruined fort that the ai built when you're in the embark screen, and sometimes there's food and other poo poo laying around. i think there's also the possibility of what murdered the previous inhabitants hanging around but i wouldnt worry about it

If you get murdered by goblins that were already there then hey. Now you have double the embark supplies.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

this game seems like the equivalent to single player eve online

on the one hand you can make a city of werewolves, on the other hand, on the other hand they all just look like the letter N

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

why is my manager on fire

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
dwarves are highly flammable and it is advisable to keep them away from any sources of flame

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

[phlegmy voice] Ah, Jesus. My dwarves are out of control.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

• Locked thread