Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's the year 2015. In this glorious digital future, we are bombarded with digital, internet, online, cloud-based everything. Scanlations are now rarely a .rar for download on some obscure scanlator's website. They're releases on unnamed online reader #62 that have been compressed to hell, a release on reader #24 plastered with ads, or available with subscription to Crunchyroll. Fansubs are rips of simulcasts from streaming sites with a rare group putting out a half-effort to an original translation that will be forgotten in a few months' time.

In the age of streaming and subscription, there's gotta be a few people out there like me that are stuck in the past, with collections of old manga and anime laying about their hard drives, right? Hard to find series that don't catch the eyes of companies, scanlations long lost to the passage of time, etc.

The question is, how do you dinosaurs manage this stuff on your own? Do you just sit on a bunch of files and folders? Do you go into full media content management via a program/library? Did you dump it all and embrace the modern age?

I'd love to put something together to manage my content a little more easily or with a fresh coat of paint, but I've had no such luck, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I don't really read manga much mostly western comics, but I use comicrack, I guess it would work for manga as well as western comics.

http://comicrack.cyolito.com/

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stalin-Chan posted:

I don't really read manga much mostly western comics, but I use comicrack, I guess it would work for manga as well as western comics.

http://comicrack.cyolito.com/

You should read more manga, like k-on

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only manga on my HD is hentai and it's a shitload of it because the zionists have been DMCAing all the sites with licensed magazine stuff to hell.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Namtab posted:

You should read more manga, like k-on

why would you read a manga of something that is already an anime

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stalin-Chan posted:

why would you read a manga of something that is already an anime

Why wouldn't you experience k-on in every format

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I extract all my manga to my desktop. then, when the screen is nearly full of little manilla folders, I make a folder called poo poo or trash or garbage and drop all of the folders into that one. I repeat this over and over, and these folders filled with folders filled with manga scans end up in other folders alongside folders of more manga.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I used to download stuff but now I just use Manga Watcher on android, which pulls chapters from websites. Its great because I dont have to go find chapters myself, it just lets me know when a new one is release for the series Im following.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i just use mangaviewer and read everything online, but i wish i could find a better option since mv bloats like hell real fast and runs out of space around 200 series

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I lost all my ancient manga archives from years past like 3 or 4 hard drives ago and hadn't needed to replace them since so much is online. When I buy digital copies if it's available I'll just get a Kindle version and read it on my phone, but don't have that option every time so recently I had to find a desktop reader that I could stand to use. I used to use CDisplay like 10 years ago -- turns out it's still available and works perfectly well, although I did upgrade to the EX version or whatever the updated one is called.

For keeping up with what I'm reading online I like Batoto's queue.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just bookmark everything I read on kissmanga and also keep track on mal, and for any series I can't find or has especially terrible scans on kissmanga batoto usually has it

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just read things on Kissmanga and forget about them until the "latest updated" ribbon pops with the latest chapter, and I'm like "Oh hey, I remember this! *reads*". :shrug:

... you mean not everyone does this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I used to read everything in class where I didn't have internet so I got in the habit of downloading poo poo so I still do that whenever possible. Not being able to download a thing and read it on my iPad is a thing that will put me off of reading a series.

Now though I mostly just read WSJ and buy digital tanks off that so whatever

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I really like having Manga on a kindle format. It's usually cheap (about 4 bucks an issue of deadman wonderland so far) and I like that's it's tied to an account I can get on many devices easily, including my phone.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

i organize everything in folders by author/writer, I'd like to find some way of tagging and organizing them like the comicrack mentioned before, but im using osx and everything is poo poo

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Comicrack doesn't seem to have an easy way to set up a library, and insists on labeling files with a "Volume - Issue" format. Doesn't help when you've got everything in volumes...

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Stalin-Chan posted:

I don't really read manga much mostly western comics

guillotine

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

also lol if you don't have crates and crates of physical volumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ineffiable posted:

I really like having Manga on a kindle format. It's usually cheap (about 4 bucks an issue of deadman wonderland so far) and I like that's it's tied to an account I can get on many devices easily, including my phone.

I read most of my manga on my tablet with the Kindle app too. Amazon doesn't have everything, but they have almost the entire Viz/Dark Horse/Kodansha libraries, along with some stuff by Vertical and other publishers. The reading experience seems fine compared to the Viz/Crunchyroll manga apps (no locking away your screenshot function or anything,) and like you said they usually get new releases on release day for a couple bucks off. My scanlated manga is still just sitting in folders on my hard drive, but tbh lately I've gotten lazy enough that if it isn't being officially published online, I don't bother looking for it. It's just really nice to pick things out without having having to think about translation/image quality/switching between multiple scan group issues.

• Locked thread