Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
In more depressing news my reign of terrible gaming remains unabated. I have yet to win a single Dom4 irc game, HOWEVER I did manage to stomp a bunch of idiots and newbies as MA Nazca with the power of bird people. I feel pretty bad about it, and likely will never win again.

edit: I have learned the trick of how to win a game of Dom4: go for the thrones after making everyone else punch a more impressive threat than you (in this case MA Ermor). I let a bunch of other people strike at a big threat while I set up 3 armies to invade 3 separate thrones, and then claim them in one turn. There was much confusion.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Baudin posted:

In more depressing news my reign of terrible gaming remains unabated. I have yet to win a single Dom4 irc game, HOWEVER I did manage to stomp a bunch of idiots and newbies as MA Nazca with the power of bird people. I feel pretty bad about it, and likely will never win again.

Post the after action report.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Baudin posted:

edit: I have learned the trick of how to win a game of Dom4: go for the thrones after making everyone else punch a more impressive threat than you (in this case MA Ermor). I let a bunch of other people strike at a big threat while I set up 3 armies to invade 3 separate thrones, and then claim them in one turn. There was much confusion.

Try changing your name to 'Ramc'?

E:

Ramc posted:

Post the after action report.

That too.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Ok Fine, this is the story of how an idiot beat up new people and severely rusty players in a game of Dom4 blitz. A general note: the game had very odd settings - increased site frequency, increased income and increased resources. It was a blitz with a bunch of new people and I didn't want it to slog too much. This aim was not achieved.

Victory:

You'll note the name of my pretender exactly matches what he did. This is intentional and I doubt anyone else picked up on my bless.

Engine of Winning

With enough Supayas you can do a lot of fun things - they are undead which can be a major problem, but having a mass of ethereal birds with high attack and defense mob you is pretty goddamn scary. Royal Malliqus made those supayas possible since you can summon two a turn using these 850 gold units.

A Stupid Lucky Break

I managed to get a crystal sorceress site early on, and spammed the gently caress out of them, and also put a fort up fast. The fort was mostly for effort reduction since this was a blitz, normally I would not have done this.

Scary Neighbours

The MA Ermor player was overly aggressive - he managed to get Vanheim down to a few provinces before he began losing to a vast coalition of players.

Bird Supremacy

Three strikes on thrones and three extra Royal Malluqis won the game just as people were starting to crash.

Graphs:

Baudin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 15, 2016

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Baudin I always knew you had it in you to win a game* of Dominions 4.

quote:

<Baudin> Post more skulls what do i even pay you for

TOPSNEK: The Best Snek Is a Snek With Yet More Sneks On Its Head

A shorter one to start, I was in a game called TopSnek, a game that used an extremely balanced mod by forums user and cool guy Naksu.

The mod addressed the known and longstanding problem with the superiority of the Earth Snake pretender chassis. The Earth Snake as you may well know is basically an extremely points-cheap chassis that is incredibly difficult to kill because of its high protection, high hit points, fear aura and recuperative ability so even if it gets an affliction it will recover from it.

To fix this Naksu made it so that every chassis had the benefits of the Earth Snek chassis (the Earth Snake itself gained two points of awe because it is clearly so great.) This finally balanced forever the god chassises leading to unprecedented diversity* in god selection and it is merely a coincidence that that three people picked the Gorgon chassis and those three were the last ones standing.

Pictured above: Game balance!

The Gorgon Snek chassis is broke as hell. Basically almost anything in melee with it has to save or die every round. Also it can fly. I thugged out mine, gave it move faster boots and Shademail so it was flying, invisible and could pop up anyway to kill almost anything. What can survive a the stone gaze? Well it is a MR check so with good magic resistance you can make the check every turn to avoid dying to the gaze while trying to chew through hundreds of hit points on a high protection well armored regenerating chassis that has several attacks a round at insanely high strength. That's probably doable.

OR! Or you can be a 'Stone Being'. What is a stone being? Basically nothing. Earth elemental? No. Clayman? No. Golem? Ha ha no. Basically it seems to be a gargoyle (Which are incredibly fragile for what they are and made out of a weird Earth-air summon), a Watcher (also weird and corner case but enough to make certain thrones way bad) or a few specific god chassises. EFFECTIVELY the only way to stop a Gorgon Snek was another Gorgon Snek.

I compounded this broken pick by picking known good nation EA Pangaea and making my snek so as to give a N9 bless for my white centaur. (Ramc isn't your god N8 in the above picture? Yes well I got berserked trying to solo a watcher throne and could not kill them all with the monumentsnek god paralyzing me before the timer ran out. The Good News was that with so many H2 dryads I called my god back in like 2 turns tops. PROBABLY FAIR)

The flow of the game was an obviously huge expansion for the gorgonsnekpickers. Theodoros played by known fucker Jsoh picked a Floating Mind Snek and basically became a massive pain in the butt for everyone by dropping Burden of Time and Perpetual storm eventually. I spent a lot of time just trying to mess with them as a hobby, kicking them back into the sea and trying to aqua dryad his stuff and domkill him. Jsoh more or less murdered the other underwater player- R'leyh- early and went to town from there.

The other Gorgon Snek pickers were Arco- played by Diablo2839283 and Sauromatia played by Atlanton who basically murdered and ate neighbors Yomi and Maverni respectively as I understand it. Caelum was played by Naksu and went with a Daeva Snek. He expanded well and did some stuff probably before chain staling and going AI.

I basically got big, stayed big, blood hunted a lot despite BoT slowing that down and blood sacced like whoa with Mother Oak and Gift of Health and swole-ing my dudes and Vengeful Water making my dom push more of a pain. There were some nasty fights versus high research Arco near the end because holy poo poo Diablo-0-203932 is like one of the last guys you want to be solo fighting during the late game because he knows everything and is relentless. Perpetual storm kept my vampires and Snek from flying about everywhere too. In the end, though, the blood sac and Snek press was just too much and he gave into the pain like everyone else and went AI. Once he went AI his Snek got stuck to a hopeless siege like flypaper and never did anything ever again because the AI is incredibly dumb like that.

On the last turn I actually domkilled the last remaining (AI) players as I claimed the final throne.

Provs- I ate a lot of land.

Forts- And made and took a lot of forts.

Income. Can you spot the time when Theodoros' global holder for Perpetual Storm died to a water elemental somehow only to have Arco recast the global the next turn?

Gems. I think this was a high site frequency game too. I had hundreds of gems of all types by the end.

Once more nerds get dunked.

This graph really underlines that blood sac is good.

I was playing turmoil scales Pan so Maenads were holding up every fort.

Top Snek was sort of a painful game by the end, but the IDEA of the mod is kind of cool. Maybe nerf gorgons.

Or...

in the spirit of Top Snek, give every chassis the gorgon petrification power.

Yeah, do that Naksu. That will fix it for sure.

Ramc fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc posted:

EFFECTIVELY the only way to stop a Gorgon Snek was another Gorgon Snek.

I am reminded by Diabl0658 that the other way to stop a Gorgon Snek is to have a A2 hill wizard cast orb lightning on it in the expansion phase until it fatigues out and is killed not that he knows anything about this first hand. He then stared into the middle distance for hours.

• Locked thread