Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Baudin posted:

Extra 60 gold per turn is a nice bonus on top of the 69 income the province itself provides.

I have some bad news for you Baudin.

(That's not how those work. The extra gold is calced into the province income. That is a 9 gold province (actually like 18 but shenanigans regarding admin values and fort nonsense) prior to the income from the silver mine.)

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Neruz posted:

I have some bad news for you Baudin.

(That's not how those work. The extra gold is calced into the province income. That is a 9 gold province (actually like 18 but shenanigans regarding admin values and fort nonsense) prior to the income from the silver mine.)

Well that explains a lot!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Uh. Uh huh. God of War means Fire magic or Turmoil scales, King of Flowers and Spring is Nature magic, and Patron of Suicides is Blood magic. And considering that literally every unit in Kitfox' nation is Sacred, it's a pretty safe assumption that Kitfox has gone for the legendary TriBless. His troops have increased accuracy, increased damage, increased HP, flaming weapons, regeneration, and reflect damage taken on their attackers. This, on the other hand, means he's taken trash scales, and is going to rely on a powerful early game to win.

Didn't catch this earlier, but who is this and what have they done with the real Kitfox? Kitfox would never trash his scales!!:psyduck:

Related, but what did he take for PD? Considering the other draft game he's in he grabbed bloody Large Scorpions and Illithid Soldiers in the right slots for PD.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Didn't catch this earlier, but who is this and what have they done with the real Kitfox? Kitfox would never trash his scales!!:psyduck:

Related, but what did he take for PD? Considering the other draft game he's in he grabbed bloody Large Scorpions and Illithid Soldiers in the right slots for PD.

C'tis Sacred Serpents and the recruit anywhere Kailasa sacreds. Guyhaka maybe?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Okay here's my view for turn 3:

loving hell! I scripted Samog to cast spells, but the idiot flew into combat and got his arm chopped off. Somehow this made the horse archers route as my dudes were routing and I got this prov. :psyduck: This is pretty bad though because my crossbows are all back at my capital which means losing another turn to go scoop them up. Losing out on two expansions this early really sucks, I'm dom4 trash :( . Assume I'm recruiting a batman in every fort forever unless otherwise stated. I also grab more crossbows and a non-sacred elf. Building a temple with samog because I have stealthy foreign-recruit (meaning I can recruit them from any prov with a temple, normally you'd need a fort as well) priests that have decent leadership. Ideally this will help me put out expansion parties faster. I'm also recruiting at least one scout per turn because my scouts are foreign-recruit as well (they don't need a temple though, so I can make a scout from literally every province. This is super good to have). With the chaff purchased I'm sending pig to take out that next forest. Right now I'm doing fine on resources, but when I want to switch over to my sacreds I'm going to need more.

Here's a spoilery kind of meme:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's always interesting to see how a game of Dominions shakes out, with the weird combat results and the variant builds and such.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Can you elaborate on what exactly gets drafted and what's the pool to choose from? This mode is news to me, especially if things like kinds of PD get drafted too.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Pierzak posted:

Can you elaborate on what exactly gets drafted and what's the pool to choose from? This mode is news to me, especially if things like kinds of PD get drafted too.

It's not a "mode", per se. Generally the person organizing the draft will provide rules, categories, pools, exclusions, etc and then once the draft has completed said person will cobble every draft nation into a mod that is distributed to each player.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Hi, I like dominions lets plays and would like to see the players break down their drafts and builds, but I feel like the players shouldn't feel compelled to do a turn by turn breakdown of of the game from their perspective since I think that is an intimidating prospect and it feels like it kills dominions lets plays. Then again, I've never done one of these so what do I know. :psyduck:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pierzak posted:

The rules we used are here. The pools in question were any recruitable national troops and commanders.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I am going to do big explanatory writeups for the other nations' draft choices as we encounter them, so don't worry about that.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

fool_of_sound posted:

I am going to do big explanatory writeups for the other nations' draft choices as we encounter them, so don't worry about that.

It's fortunate you don't need to do one for the OP, I'd imagine you'd have a nervous breakdown right at the start trying to figure out Kohen Gadol as a choice.

He's just so expensive and actually costs resources.

Like if we just confine ourselves to LA you could have a Nagarishi for 40 more gold.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 5, 2015

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Those big horn dudes toot-toot'd the poo poo out of those indies. Go giant Jews!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Feinne posted:

It's fortunate you don't need to do one for the OP, I'd imagine you'd have a nervous breakdown right at the start trying to figure out Kohen Gadol as a choice.

He's just so expensive and actually costs resources.

Like if we just confine ourselves to LA you could have a Nagarishi for 40 more gold.

The explanation would probably be something like this:
"Baudin is a notoriously bad player who constantly chooses terrible nations for each game he plays in, so this is really no surprise. I wonder what other terrible picks he'll come up with"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
So let's talk about New Alfheim, the nation Baudin is currently scouting, played by The Spooky Danger. I'm going to go through each of his selections, what they do, and what he probably plans to do with them.

---Capital Only Mage: Tuatha Sorceress

The capital mage of EA Tir Na Nog, and a pretty standard pick. She has a lot going for her: glamour (super stealth and defensive mirror images in battle), sacred, good defensive stats, and strong magic paths. Air 3 is her big selling point: it allows easy access to the Storm spell, vital for the powerful Air offense, a combination of the Thunderstrike spell and summoned Air Elementals that can counter most threats. I expect to see these being produced non-stop as soon as the expansion phase ends.

---Anywhere Mages: Ah Itz and Vanjarl

EA Xibalba is probably the strongest or second strongest nation in the game, and the Ah Itz has something to do with that. It's an effective blood hunter (the method by which you gather resources for blood magic), and has all fantastic paths, though admittedly at low level. It's also fairly cheap and a good researcher. A pretty solid choice all around, and a strong indication that Thespo is planning on running heavy Blood magic with this nation.

The Vanjarl is native to EA and MA Vanheim, and is a powerful choice. Despite it's Blood path, Vanheim itself isn't primarily a Blood nation, since it's blood hunters are very expensive and better used for other things. Combined with the Ah Itz, however, it unlocks their potential as Storm Demon summoners in the mid and late game. Storm Demons are absolutely devastating, and could easily propel Thespo to victory if he can start spamming them. To make matters worse, Vanjarls are pretty solid air mages, and will be able to help support the Storm strategy the Sorceresses are using. Further, Vanjarls are one of the handful of out-of-the-box effective thugs (solo units used to make raiding attacks), thanks to glamour, high stats, and powerful paths. Unfortunately, all of this comes at a price; the Vanjarl costs as much as many cap-only mages, while having far less magical potency. While they are versatile and powerful, Thespo can't exactly spam these guys.

---Other Commanders: Storm General, Friar, and Enkidu Scout

The purpose of the otherwise very Resource intensive MA/LA Caelum Storm General is pretty obvious: at some point, Thespo plans to cast the global Perpetual Storm (stops flying worldwide, summons an automatic storm every battle, reduces global income) in order to further his Air offense. Storm Demons and a handful of other flying units are immune to being grounded by Storms, and the Storm General is one of them, as are one of his troop choices. This means that Thespo can still make Flying raids once Perpetual Storm goes up; a major advantage.

The MA Marignon Friar and the EA Ur Enkidu Scout were chosen for the same reasons: they're both foreign-recruit, which means that they can be produced outside of forts (though in the case of the friar, a temple is still required). They're unexciting, but pretty good, choices

---Capital-Only Troops: Tuatha Warriors

The EA Tir Na Nog Tuatha Warriors were probably a weaker choice. While the Tuatha Warriors themselves are very powerful, and excellent sacred units, I strongly doubt that Thespo took a serious bless, and so as they stand they're basically just overpriced versions of the Sidhe Warrior, which he also took. I don't expect that he'll recruit many of these.

---Anywhere Troops: Sidhe Warriors, Markata, Spire Horn Warriors, Pale One Militia, Crossbow, Hoplite

Thespo made his troop choices well; each one has a specific role to play. The EA Tir Na Nog Sidhe Warriors are powerful expanders and raiders, with glamour, close and long range attacks, and high stats. They can also be used as effective, if expensive, protection for mages.

MA/LA Arcoscephale Hoplites are Thespo primary blockers; absorbing attacks so his Air mages can do their thing. High armor and a long weapon (useful because the the Repel rules) make them ideal blockers, even in small numbers. Their major disadvantage is their high resource cost, but he probably won't need that many.

MA Man Crossbowmen are cheap, accurate, powerful ranged units. Crossbows are, in general, the preferred ranged weapon in Dominions, and any of their number are solid choices.

EA Caelum Spire Horn Warriors are going to be used as part of Thespo's flying raiding parties, led by Storm Generals. Flying units equipped with spears are pretty good, since they will almost always have the advantage of the charge bonus. It pays to be careful about how you use such units; they tend to rely on their alpha strike, and are pretty vulnerable to counterattacks if it fails to rout the enemy.

Markata are common to the various Indian nations, and are poo poo. Utterly trash bad in combat, barring somewhat silly strategies. However, they are the cheapest units in the game, and are likely to be used primarily as patrollers, to support blood hunters, since only the number of troops matters for patrolling, usually.

Pale One Militia are also trash, but are cheap and allow Thespo to spam another useful property: Siege Bonus. Each Pale One counts as three units for the purposes of sieging, and thus are cheap and easy ways to break down enemy forts.

---National Gimmick: MA Bandar Log's National Spells

Ugh. Bandar Log has a living fuckton of national summons of various spirits from Hindu (and other Indian faith) mythology. They're more or less devided into two categories: Astral and Blood. I don't think we're likely to see the Astral summons unless Thespo lucks into a powerful Astral mage from an event or magic site, so I'll focus on the Blood summons. Most of the Blood summons are various flavors of sacred Demons; very powerful and useful if you have a bless, but I doubt Thespo does. Knowing that, I think we're mostly likely the see the following:

The Dakini are incredibly powerful mages, excellent even at their high cost. Flying, Fear, powerful paths, and above all, Damage Reversal. Damage Reversal not only reflects damage taken back on opponents, but has a chance to negate the damage inflicted on the Dakini altogether. They're powerful enough to easily act as solo raiders, and are useful for a variety of other things as well. Expect to see many of these.

Asrapas are powerful and fairly cheap elite troops. They die quickly to missle weapons, but can do serious damage if properly screened. We may or may not actually see these; it mostly depends on how early Thespo gets his Blood economy going.

Let me know if anyone wants more clarification on strategies or units: I know I'm skipping over a lot, since Dominions is such a dense game that I'd be here all day if I tried to explain how everything worked up front.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 5, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Bandar Log summons also gets him hilarious grandstanding poo poo like Mandeha.

Like he'll probably NEVER actually summon such a thing but if he's winning we might see such a crazy thing.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
I always love the hindu demons. They normally give Lanka the real meat to back up their giant hordes of longdead that every single priest is summoning each turn. A lot of them are nice supplements to the normal demon knights/storm demons that get summoned in the late game. Only blood gets to summon a GIANT DEMON MONKEY WHO BLOTS OUT THE SUN. Also, all demons are dark vision which makes it doubly hilarious when your undead and demon hordes murder people who can't see you.

*edit*

I just noticed that he picked no astral? Why go blood if you have no astral mages? That takes away half of the standard blood late game strategy of just spamming demons and horrors everywhere.

Gaghskull fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 5, 2015

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

How do you tell if something is foreign recruit? I'm not seeing it in the mod inspector panels.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Under the Unit Type column it will say Unit(forest) or whatever

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gaghskull posted:

I just noticed that he picked no astral? Why go blood if you have no astral mages? That takes away half of the standard blood late game strategy of just spamming demons and horrors everywhere.

Blood is plenty powerful even sans Astral, and nothing is going to make people bumrush you like taking Blood/Astral. There's also a mod in effect raising the research level on Astral Corruption.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You didn't call your nation Rephalmania?

Disgraceful.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Would it be possible to get an explanation of EA, LA, etc?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

You didn't call your nation Rephalmania?

Disgraceful.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

TravelLog posted:

Acronyms, meaning Early Age, Middle Age, Late Age. Each age has different nations to choose from, and in a normal game only nations from similar ages can play against each other.

Each age tends to be less magically powerful, but more technologically advanced or socially regressed than its incarnation in the previous age. Most nations have a 'story' that you can follow across ages.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TravelLog posted:

There are three eras of play in standard Dominions, each of which have difference playstyles.

EA, or Early Age, is a time of powerful magic, warring giants and monsters, and humans wearing buttflaps. Most equipment is primitive and lovely, so good troops are mostly monsters or summoned creatures. Mages in this era are very powerful, but tend to be focused on a limited number of paths. Powerful sacred units are common, and thus so are early game rushes. Province populations are small, and thus so are income and production. but magical gems are common. This means that nations tend to have to find magical ways to supplement their powerful mages.

MA is Middle Age. Humans are more widespread and most of the more powerful monster races have died back. Mages are still powerful, but less so, and a lot of nations are reliant on communions; using mages to co-cooperatively cast spells. Money and resources are more common, and troops are stronger, meaning that you can conserve more magic gems, and thus not feel their rarity increase. Most nations in this era have a decent balance of troops and magic, and thus it's probably the easiest age for new players to learn. Weaker early game rushes and minimal blood magic also help. This game is taking place using Middle Age settings.

LA is Late Age, probably the least played age on SA. Troops have gotten more powerful again, and mages weaker, but more diversified and better researchers. Money and resources are common now, but gems are rare. In general, goons avoid LA because it strongly centralizes the game on Blood magic; unlike other paths, blood slaves income is based on performing blood hunts, which become easier and more effective in high population provinces patrolled by large numbers of troops, both of which LA is strongly conducive towards. It's a shame, because LA has a lot of very interesting nations and units, and you'll see a lot of them in the draft.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Thank you for the explanation! Your posts are great, Fool.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

How does Fluers revive his god without penalty?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Elric posted:

Nations can have a tag for it, #godrebirth; test platform nation Ur comes with it and a tag called Elegist on some of their priests, which gives them bonus levels when recalling.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Elric posted:

All gods can be resurrected by having priests spend turns reviving them. This normally has a penalty of reducing all of the god's magic paths by 1. EA Ur has a unique national property called God Rebirth that removed the penalty, and units with a property called Elegist that makes the unit count as 2 priest levels higher for the purpose of resurrection, greatly speeding the process. I modded all of Fleurs' priests to have Elegist and his nation to have God Rebirth.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I just want to point out that Markata are not poo poo and are extremely effective late game troops if you play your cards correctly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I Love You! posted:

I just want to point out that Markata are not poo poo and are extremely effective late game troops if you play your cards correctly.

"Powering up tiny monkeys with a million buffs" counts as a silly strategy, I Love You.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also reminder that there is a meme thread contest!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

fool_of_sound posted:

"Powering up tiny monkeys with a million buffs" counts as a silly strategy, I Love You.

Sorry but there's lots of ways to abuse markata that are Actually Good and not just Silly Good, markata own

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Sorry but there's lots of ways to abuse markata that are Actually Good and not just Silly Good, markata own

post a monkey meme

Absum
May 28, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

So let's talk about New Alfheim, the nation Baudin is currently scouting, played by The Spooky Danger.

Baudin isnt scouting these guys. Thespo did make a post of his turn 3 perspective though. It's good that his nation was explained though cause I think he's gonna make posts for more turns.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

There are many things that can be turned into extremely efficient late game troops, would not draft markata myself.

Fool, I took the Ur gimmick purely for the cheaper temples and the 20 extra design points, my god will never leave his home. Kitfox' cheaper every building would've been even better probably.

Regarding Baudin's nation, it's actually pretty good.
His sacreds can kill things and make good blockers and he has good evocation and utility mages. Access to every path, though none very high and also no raiding potential.
Could've picked a better god though; the Mictlan statue would've give an extra scale, two with death 4. He'd be better off dropping the death altogether ofcourse and just empowering a sauromancer.
Also his cap mage is bad, especially without a blood hunter. The master smith is redundant with the magister being there imho and the acha useless; his troops can just regen if they get diseased.
MA Agartha summons would've gone well with his bless or a bloodhunter and a mage with high paths.
Forts are protected by your province defence and if all your forts are under siege you earn no income, but Baudin's pd is terrible. Fliers to harass enemies who need buffs, high protection troops, berserkers make good pd.
Ancient ones are good to get into the ocean, but only for that. Dawn guard have magic weapons, always nice to have. He'd be better off with dedicated crossbows, since he already has great blockers and these are more expensive and too slow.
It'd be one of the better ones among actual nations, but middle of the pack in the draft.

Thespo's is stronger I think; pony nation with it's weaknesses shored up.
Great blood searcher, good researcher, lots of thunderstrikes, buffs from cap mage and good troops through summons.
Can raid well with fliers, stealthy troops and thugs, but lacks fire and astral.
Ah itz are amazing, think they got banned in the other draftgame even, vanjarl should be replaced I think.
Every air 2 caster can raid provinces with an air elemental and he already has other options anyway and ah itz can summon storm demons just as well, leaving you with an overpriced lightning slinger.
Astrapelagists are half the price and would give astral access. He most likely will just find an astral independ though and can bootstrap higher through his summons then.
Sidhe are good raiders, spire horns bring magic weapons and fly and therefore are good, pale ones good for sieging, hoplites are too slow to be useful, pd is decent, though archers are distracted real easily, tuatha are redundant unless he goes for a big bless.
Asrapa are real good, they can go berserk and drain life and fatigue, sacred too. Thespo went with an earth/nature boar though, which doesn't benefit them much, so no bigg bless here I think.
All in all A+, one of the best nations in the draft.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Absum posted:

Baudin isnt scouting these guys. Thespo did make a post of his turn 3 perspective though. It's good that his nation was explained though cause I think he's gonna make posts for more turns.

Whoops, oh well. He will be encountering him shortly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

uguu posted:

Ah itz are amazing, think they got banned in the other draftgame even

All of three or four of the Zotz blood mages got banned in the other draft. They're just that good.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I remembered LA for dominions 3 always had the the condition of no Rrmor or Rylth because nobody their freespawn/province ruining dominion. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

I remembered LA for dominions 3 always had the the condition of no Rrmor or Rylth because nobody their freespawn/province ruining dominion. :v:

They moved Ermor to MA and it is usually banned there too. R'lyeh is sometimes banned but you can usually relegate them to their lovely ocean and let them rot there so they aren't as terrible really.

• Locked thread