Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
wtf is that draft lol

is there a list of the whole thing somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

set it to link = read access plz. what to see what was available when the stuff was picked

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Throne Victory is basically the Victory Points option from Dom3, except better presented and set to default.

Very few people played Dom3 with gemgens in multiplayer.

Research slowing significantly at level 5+, Disciples mode, and the difficulty in building SCs due to resistance changes & bleeding (& partially due to lack of SC-providing mods, which is probably a good thing) are to me, some of the large changes.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I have read the draft document.

No one, not one person, drafted Longbows.

At least xbows were drafted by some.

Seriously, a single good (read:cheap) missile unit would have fit Baudin's lineup like a glove. Flaming Arrows is synergistic research, too. I guess there's always indeps...

e: The Zero Income, Zero Prod build is also awful for this lineup. Without some prod, or all those res-heavy units will never appears. Without decent income you will never be able to make any giants at all.

e2: WHITE ONES are a better Levite Zealot in pretty much every relevant way except the shield and the gcost, but since you're holy limited anyway and getting N9 bless...

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 4, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Markata are good :colbert:

Monkey nations have really good spells to make markata incredible easily. A single square of lucky ethereal markata takes ~100 hits in melee combat to clear. One. Hundred. And you have to hit 14 defense. I was just playing a game where I was blocking blessed black centaur with a handful of appropriately buffed markata to give my cascade casters time to put them to sleep and allow the markata to kill all of them. They can also be used as really good ablative melee armor in a normal battle with battle fortune. And in dom4 morale issues are not a problem now that rage of the cornered rat exists.

The problem is they take exactly one hit to clear with AoEs. And if you have, say, 50 markata, a single shot of Thunder Strike or even Falling Fires or even loving Breath of the Dragon will kill more than half of them, which will instantly cause the entire squad to fail a morale check and gently caress off.

Not that they aren't fantastic at certain things, but they poo poo the bed really hard against others. Even normal arrows will cause devastating morale checks even if they're only killing 1 per arrow. Very much a toolkit unit.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

TravelLog posted:

Out of curiosity, who would you guys say is the best goon Dom player? What is their strategy/in-game personality like?

Flavahbeast.

Flavahbeast is a monster at many things, but the three I've noticed that define his style are:
1. Finding the exact thing that is powerful in the current patch / modset / game rules and exploiting it in a way that gives him an inescapable advantage even after it can be countered.
2. Macromanagement. His resource use is extremely good and rarely does he waste anything.
3. The right kind of diplomacy to actually win games - pacts with all but one neighbor, somehow despite that being a bad idea for his neighbors, and with minimal effort expended. Very little alliance-building as that tends to strengthen other players.

He is great at everything else, but those three areas mean games where he gains any advantage snowball out of control extremely quickly.

Flavahbeast was by far the winningest Dom3 player ever, even accounting for other sites, and in the time he still played Dom4 continued to dominate games. I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has or ever will surpass him.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 13, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Shoeless posted:

So a while back someone posted saying something to the effect that if people form a coalition, the only people who will actually bother putting effort into it and attacking the player it was formed against are either naive or just as dangerous as the person it was formed against. Could you clarify what you mean by that? Cause I don't see how a group attempt to take down a more powerful player is ever gonna work if everyone just sits on their hands waiting for someone else to do the work. Yes I am the naive person, it is me.

To put it simply,

It's really hard to fight someone who is more powerful than you. You are already "divided" in that you don't have good coordination with your allies and that you cannot combine armies or research. About the only thing a coalition can accomplish is taking land while the powerful opponent smashes one guy first. And this is if everyone goes all-in.

So what happens is no one wants to be that guy who gets smashed, because getting smashed is a 100% guarantee against someone you can't match on your own.

True coalitions will sometimes form but not of a bunch of little guys vs one big guy. Rather, they will form of one or more people who are more powerful than they appear to be, and a bunch of smaller powers who don't have much influence beyond value as distractions. The people who are powerful in the coalitions could all have taken on their coalition target on their own, or at least come extremely close, but because they formed an alliance what would have been a close war turns into a large overmatch. The result of such a coalition is to make the one who is powerful in the alliance even more powerful, because they have many more resources to grab territory quickly.

So if you're smart, you never enter into this kind of coalition either, unless you trick a bunch of people into playing Kingmaker on your behalf.

jng2058 posted:

I seem to recall from my Dom3 days that there was a marked difference in the gaming cultural between the SA Goons and the Dom3 Forum players. Goons were always much more ruthless and cutthroat, while the Ilwinter Forums guys would have these "unwritten rules" about never attacking in the first ten turns and stuff like that.

Is that difference still the case now that we've all moved to Dom4?

Once upon a time this was the case on the Shrapnel forums.

The secret is that as things went on, a good 20 to 40% of the people on Shrapnel and then Desura were also goons, so the culture there shifted to a more "well, poo poo happens" in regards to game winning.

At the same time, goons were never very backstabby at all, so that's also memetics at work.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 17, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

it depends what kind of relationship you want with the player/nation in question

I usually just give up cap circle provinces, as it's unreasonable to retain them. If I want to fight the player but not immediately I might ask a small fee. If the province isn't cap circle but someone is asking for it (or it makes ugly borders / difficult fort placements), I'll usually ask for a province swap. If they're being unreasonable over it, I'll ask for a hefty fee (usually a year's income including gems, plus some). If they piss me off with territory claims I usually just kill them.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The only caveats I'll add are
1. Test your pretenders. If you chose to rely on bless or troops, you need familiarity and a test game is easy to play around in. If you went SC, chances are whatever expansion pretender you've picked has some kind of flaw you didn't expect. Expansion is all about knowing your indep types. There are people who can consistently run good expansion in any nation, any age, any pretender choice, and they do this by having near-encyclopedic knowledge of how to interpret scouting reports and take on any independent type with anything.
Once upon a time you could get away with a magicless Dom9 Wyrm as a default SC pretender (this was before the Wyrm was W1 E1). When Dom4 came out, people used dragons with low domstrength. I've successfully used a Death 5, Dom 9 Master Lich as an expander. If you understand what makes all of the above work, you're well on your way to understanding expansion pretenders.
2. N9 is definitely THE go-to bless, for a variety of reasons that don't have much to do with the expansion phase, but one really big one that does: against independents, you can literally win 80% of battles against indeps just by standing there and not dying. While the offensive blesses are attractive and if you plan a bless rush you better have at least a fire or blood minor, N9 is the most powerful bless in the game at every single stage of the game from early to late.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

My experiences and the experiences of most goons who've spoken at length about this disagree with you. N9 is only the go-to bless on troops that are already tanky; it's not very good at keeping 11 hp humans alive, even with the +2 hp/turn.

e: I mean, Nature and Water are both decent blesses on almost everything, but there is a better choice for what I'd argue is most sacreds.

There are more focused choices for most sacreds. But my view is that "good enough" is all you need for expansion, and once you're past that then what an offensive bless opens is rush options while what N9 opens is a huge slew of midgame and lategame power plays with mages, raiders, and globals.

I mean, it depends on the nation, certainly. But there are more nations that can make use of N9 than there are that can use F9 effectively, even if the power nations right now are F9 nations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Neruz posted:

N9 is a better bless if you are bad at positioning, but if you know how to position so as to always get first strike on indies F9 or B9 will give you better results.

If you're good at positioning you never need a bless against indeps at all. You just need a guy with a sling or bow and a guy with a spear.

So to me it comes down to, will I need F9 or B9 against players as part of a grand strategy, or will I need N9 against players as part of grand strategy. And N9 is generally speaking, applicable to a greater diversity of tactics in all phases of the game.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

e: wrong thread

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Glazius posted:

Ah, so it's kind of like Diplomacy movement rules, where the destination is the only thing that matters.

If you grok this you get 95% of army movement cases in Dominions.

The remaining 5% is when an army is moving directly opposite to an enemy army, "into each others' provinces". In that case alone, who moves is random. Nothing else is random.

Then magic fucks you over but magic always does that.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Victor Vermis posted:

A poo poo-housing Virtue with a low astral achilles' heel and named after a My Little Pony was killed by Turkeys.

Pretty sure Peak Theorycrafting was unceremoniously eaten by giants.

I need to use my brain for remembering more important things.

Peak Theorycrafting died for the final time because a fat lady and a really tall skeleton were passed out across the battlefield from him and he unfortunately, woke up first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Diabl0658 posted:

I actually had no gold or research to make either of these things

THREE BLESSES, everyone

• Locked thread