Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Feinne posted:

I'd assume it's about troops supported by battle-magic and beardy summons.

That but also with a hefty reliance on globals. It's hard to invade someone when all your mages get sniped by vengeful waters the first turn you hit >5 enemy domcandles.

Note also that domspread has changed, so it's not possible to spam temples to get your domspread % over 100 anymore, meaning that pushing away poision dom is hard.

Also horrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Can you elaborate on what exactly gets drafted and what's the pool to choose from? This mode is news to me, especially if things like kinds of PD get drafted too.

It's not a "mode", per se. Generally the person organizing the draft will provide rules, categories, pools, exclusions, etc and then once the draft has completed said person will cobble every draft nation into a mod that is distributed to each player.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Under the Unit Type column it will say Unit(forest) or whatever

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

TravelLog posted:

Would it be possible to get an explanation of EA, LA, etc?

Acronyms, meaning Early Age, Middle Age, Late Age. Each age has different nations to choose from, and in a normal game only nations from similar ages can play against each other.

Each age tends to be less magically powerful, but more technologically advanced or socially regressed than its incarnation in the previous age. Most nations have a 'story' that you can follow across ages.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

How are u posted:

e: Obviously you just need to cast Army of Lead on your markata horde, friend.
VVVVVV

Army of Lead will not save you from a fireball

Or even just a dude with a magic stick that's not MRN

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Samog posted:

please post more funny pictures so that i dont have to give a prize to the troll face legion of gods

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

biosterous posted:

Please don't thumbnail everything in the update posts. It makes it a pain to read.

Alternatively, continue thumbnailing everything because a) some of us are reading on lovely small monitors and b) if you get multiple updates on a single page it takes goddamn forever to load.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Neruz posted:

Illwinter are just extremely scandanavian

fyp

Neruz posted:

To be fair; casual racism is a lot easier when the people you are being racist against are actually a different species with entirely different physical and mental traits :v:

The problem with this is that most "different species" are modeled around an actual real race and so still reveal the racial prejudices of the author

Also illwinter is incredibly fond of :biotruths:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Space Bat posted:

Inferior slavic monitors :shibe:

I'm a new hire at work and thus am left with 4:3 19" monitors

my life is pain and anguish

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ousire posted:

The way I had read into Ermor's lore was that they had learned death magic to try and bring Jesus The Prophet back to life, and in the process accidentally unleashed Death itself. Though I'm not 100% sure on the accuracy of that.

This is actually what I'd thought as well, which makes me think that it might have been the lore behind the dom3 version.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

A thought just occurred to me.

Has anyone on SA (or anywhere) written like introductory guides to any nations? List the unit's what they are good at, one or two basic strats and some pretender examples. Could make a pretty good wiki out of all that.

There's a lot of guides on the desura forums that tend to be universally poo poo. There's been a bunch of guides of varying lengths posted in the main Games thread here, but they are sorta scattered across the thread. The lack of a wiki as a central information repository is unhelpful.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Hi, I'm ChickenWing. I am uninteresting in every way and won't subject you to an effortpost that's completely irrelevant to this thread :sun:

Monkee/Hatwer/ILU are the best active players in the dom4 community. Notable inactives are Flavahbeast and TheDemon, although I don't think I've ever shared a game with either of them.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

You are only an Official Gamewinner (tm) if you are the sole surviving human player. My second game ever ended with a joint me/someone else win because neither of us could be arsed to play an additional 50 turns in what was already a 140 turn game. Because of this, I am not an Official Gamewinner. If you don't care about winning games, cool, do whatever as long as you are at least making an attempt. Also note that if you make a habit of playing second fiddle then literally everyone will hate you and you will be summarily booted from most peoples' games because you are not fun to play with. We're not a big enough community that you can get away with ruining games like that.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

IRC drama is fun though!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ousire posted:

The hammer really only gives a two gem discount? Didn't it give 25% discount in Dominions 3?

Yes.

A good change.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Not really imo. The other gemgen, resistance, affliction and regeneration changes are enough to get rid of the uber-thug meta of dom3. All the removal of the large discount did is make the hammer less useful overall and take longer to pay for itself, to the point that I do not generally craft them beyond the third year unless I specifically want to spend Earth gems in order to save another type. This is rare because I have no difficulty finding good places to sink E gems.

On the other hand, it makes hammers less *necessary* - from everything I've heard, it seems like in dom3 either you had hammers or you were literally a second-class pantokrator.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Feinne posted:

One interesting diplomatic situation is Morlockia having one of Baudin's cap circle provinces. Baudin would not be unreasonable in asking him to cede it, and unless Morlockia is actively planning to attack the expectation would be that he will do so.

Like neither of them really wants to get into a dumb fight over something like that right now because they're surrounded by stronger neighbors and regardless of who 'wins' the war they're both out of the game at that point.

Generally people will now ask for an "indy-clearing-fee", some small arbitrary sum potentially plus the income they might have received over the next couple turns if the province is particularly valuable.

I know I've started a war over it before, in roughly this same situation.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yeah uh I make a lot of researchers in Y1. Yes, some of them get sent out for bless duty but for the most part they stay at home reading books while indy commanders shuffle people around.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Libluini posted:

Ironically, you can prevent this poo poo with scripting. Scripts for firing allow archers to stop firing and start advancing until they can hit something else instead. (Of course they could still all miss and hit their own troops, but that's how the cooky crumbles sometimes.)

Because PD scripts exist

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Neruz posted:

Finally we have the Celestial Hound which most people will recognize as being those weird lion-faced dog statues that tend to show up outside Chinese temples, these guys are the only one of the 3 Celestial TC summons that I think is actually ever worth getting, not for combat because they're not very good at that but for patrolling as they are flying and have a +10 patrol bonus. Of course no era of TC has blood magic so they don't really need patrolling, but it's the thought that counts :v:

This is disgusting and shameful. Celestial Hounds with a w9 bless (like you should have for your wot5es) will gently caress poo poo up. I've had great success with CH + CM raiding parties.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

They're generic Nephilim that you get from events triggered by having Grigori around - look up Nephil in the mod inspector

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Nephil are the offspring between Grigori and Avvi, not murderous giant babies :confused:

On the other hand, pixel dicks, which are fun in their own way.

That's actually exactly what they are.

The events are all "<grigori> has sired an offspring"

Implying that the Nephil you get from the event has just been born.

Implying that it is, in fact, a giant murderous baby

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Literally the only case in which you do not want to do this is if your dude is already E10 or something, or there's a t1 spell you need to get off. Otherwise, the pathboost+reinvig is the best choice

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Updates at a moderate pace

Don't post like five in a day. But also don't post one a week. One every one or two days would be :coal:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

tonight happened, no post, rip thread

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

post all of the rest of the turns

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

This is now Ramc's blind playthrough LP of dominions

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

BAUDIN THE TURNS THE F-FUCKIN TURNS

why would baudin post turns in ramc's LP?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

My personal preference is "our army has 100 chaff, they only have 10 mages, lol who uses gems"

*is flattened by infinite skeleton army*

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

God that game was ten different kinds of poo poo. I had two regular connections out of my cap, one of which was a level 2 throne - this after remaking the map once because I'd started with my cap adjacent to another player. Despite this, elephants carried me to one of the highest province counts early. You can see me peak in the early bit, being tied with Vanheim and Jotunheim behind Pan. Unfortunately, I was never really able to bring all that to bear - I was constantly being nipped at by my neighbours, and bled troops like a motherfucker. I was able to fend off Vanheim and Nazca reasonably well with mercs, a cut off retreat, and some evocations, but when Asphodel went AI his remaining armies decided to retard smash me...and therein I learned that plant elephants are proper bastards. I lost three major engagements to asphodel and their goddamn carrion beasts, including significant numbers of mages. Around that point, Nazca put up Burden of Time and I had my second fort sieged. I decided then that this game was nowhere near worth giving a gently caress about anymore and went AI.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ramc posted:

Corn Update: Brain Reaped Again

In my continuing side-campaign against R’leyh I executed a new plan. I suited up about 40 White Centaurs to go underwater to raze R’leyh’s temples, take their land and generally mess up the place. “But Ramc.” You are saying in concern. “Corn is on like turn 64, R’leyh is going to be sporting Mindhunting. Didn’t you learn anything from Pelagia sniping your underwater raiders in HappyNewbie?”

Well to answer you, dear reader, I did. Meet Brain Reaper:

Empowered in Astral and toting two boosters Brain Reaper is geared to interdict mind hunts with 100% success. I send the WC in to attack and had her accompany the team under stealth. The Rleyh PD was rolled easily and I waited for the next turn to see if the bait had been taken.

The last one was holding his Stellar Focus global. I am sad to report that this gap in the global spell tab did not go unnoticed and I was unable to sneak in my own Stellar Focus. Nazca put up the Gale Gate but nonetheless I want to report an otherwise complete success.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I have trouble believing that is not an actual irc log

• Locked thread