Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Something I'm noticing about my play is that I take way too long to start wars. I should have went right at Burlap as soon as there were no indie provs to take, but I wussed out when I saw all those armored not-birdmans.

To be fair to you, you did blitz into my cap circle, and demanded compensation for the province, so it wasn't like you rolled over diplomatically. To add Morlockia's perspective here, I'm a very small nation that is build more around a theme rather than power, so I'm being bad and securing my cap circle (the provinces directly adjacent to your capitol) and working on diplomacy with my neighbors.

As you can see from this Let's play, though, two of my neighbors are expansionist nations that feel like they haven't expanded enough. We'll get to watch how that plays out in the coming turns :downs:

(In addition to IRC diplomacy I sent Thespo a lore-friendly message through ingame channels, because foolofsound wrote connected histories for our nations. It was indeed weird, I wish I had screenshotted it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
I believe my diplomacy to Baudin that turn was to the tune of: damnit my scouting is awful and I didn't know this was your cap circle. You can have it back but I need a turn to move dudes out of it.

So at least I was consistent, neither demanding nor paying indie clearing tax. Might have been slightly influenced by draftgame nation power on that one. None of the indy fights I was aware of actually cost a player units. Turns are still a big thing, granted.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
It has a neat condition now where rivers or coasts have larger elementals. Though I've not used it since the nerf.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
He just shrunk himself, so he's not as large and has less hitpoints. Size is used for things like the length of weapon in melee required to hit your head and torso, trampling and the like (stuff mages should hopefully not have to deal with). The HP is important, if Baudin wants him to survive damaging rituals and battlemagic.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
In defense of your master smiths plan: the Kohen Gadol are slow to recruit and cap only. They do banish skeletons way better than one necromancer summons them. Six necromancers though, not so much, and they don't advance any of your actual plans for the future like Master Smiths.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

Baudin posted:

It also appears as if my target know Iím planning to invade soon.

That is a lot of earthbound.

From the other side of the border this turn, what Baudin thought was a defensive buildup on my part was actually a barrier action against Thespookydanger. Elves in dominions have an ability called glamour, which gives them mirror images in combat, and makes them completely and utterly undetectable on the strategic map. They also get +65 stealth, so they can bypass outer provinces and go straight to besieging your forts, if they so chose.

With a neighbor like that, you have to be aware that they might try something if you don't show them a lot of army. So in this case since Thespookydanger hasn't been sounding particularly friendly, I've sent longdead and earthbound to patrol our border. My territory at this point is the same size as Baudin's (very small), so that front is also visible from Baudin's side.

Unfortunately, at this point Baudin's done a good job of diplomacy, acting like he wants to deal with the elf threat. So next turn is going to be a nasty surprise for me.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
Movement seems complicated, but I learned from jousting with Thespo all game (he also invades me this turn) that it's actually predictable.

First something weird with stealth move happens, units are considered to be stealthed but do not yet move. Rituals that would cause battles with them or hit them find nothing. Stealth attack moves will unstealth units and put them in the move order, I am unsure if a ritual targeting the province where an army initiates a stealth attack move will hit them.

Next up rituals go off, which actually do cause an immediate magic battle phase if applicable. This means that, since movement has not happened yet, wizards will screw with your armies where they were standing last turn, not where they will be on the new turn (if they survive).

After magicks assassins can strike, again before movement. If a commander is killed before he can move his troops, they don't move and such.

After that, movement happens. There is a distinction between friendly and enemy movement that actually isn't super helpful to understanding how movement works. The statement is that moves into friendly territory happen first, but actually since there is only one way for units moving to block other units moving (more on that later), it's pretty unimportant. Basically all units complete their move orders if valid, and take up their new state in a province. Note that this can be safely inside a fort, ignoring battles.

The aforementioned movement interruption, in my experience, only occurs when two units move into eachother's province. The game then has to decide in which province combat occurs, how it picks this seems to have some randomization, but again, only happens when two armies are attacking the province the other was in at the end of the turn. The game needs to get them to fight, and without this special case they would not, because...

Finally the main battle phase happens. This takes all units that are in the same province and calculates a battle for them (being in a fort is not considered to be in a province, patrolling in a fortified province is). Units that retreat (win or lose) will try to move to a friendly province after battle resolution, they will not fight if there is no friendly province, in some kind of non-combat state. These units are killed during the turn's cleanup for being in enemy territory.

Did I say finally? There are actually 3 further battle phases *after* the main battle phase. Immediately following is the storm forts order, this is not a main battle phase action, mostly so that it does not interfere with a friendly force moving into a province from outside, joined by a 'break siege' (move to province) order from inside the fort. Basically storming has to wait until after battles, units storming can end up fighting two battles in a turn this way, watch out for your gem use.

Then random events happen, indies invade you mostly.

A bunch of further stuff happens, and there is a final, rarely used battle phase for summon malfunctions and the like.

Hope that was informative. The main takeaway is that movement is a bit complicated, and people who have a vague understanding of how it works will screw you over with it.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

Glazius posted:

Ah, so it's kind of like Diplomacy movement rules, where the destination is the only thing that matters.

Yes that's a good general rule of thumb, but I've not actually elbowed around in their code or anything.

Absum seems to have observed conditions where an army in the only province path available to a destination gets in the way, and it may actually check the path for that? But it would be friendly movement, so in theory it would 'go first' anyway. If one of the random outcomes of charging at each-other is actually getting lost and not fighting that's hilarious (though it hasn't happened to me yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
RIP Grandfather Earth. Glad you got good footage of that, because it's an awesome example of (my/bad) spell scripting in action :eng99:. In this case, I had him using his holy 4 (a big deal) to paralyze giants. However, once he'd done that 5 times, he took his ongoing orders to 'cast spells' and got started on the very important business of freeze touching giants, because I guess he thought it was awesome-er.

The correct scripting, in this case, would have been 'stay behind troops', I think. Though he probably would not have continued to cast 0 fatigue spells that completely neuter Baudin's giants, he probably wouldn't have gone and killed himself either. Researching some better magic would have also worked, maybe?

Along with the previous battle, I think most of Baudin's units got diseased by death weapons here. I kind of felt like that was helping as our war dragged on, but fire weapons just outright killing things seems better, if you don't need D9 for rituals.

• Locked thread