Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I forgot to take pictures and stuff for the first two turns but here's the notes from them:

turn 1: I blind expand with my piggod into a nearby forest for increased resources. This is slightly risky because there could be dumb bullshit in there, but mighty pig berserks and tramples so it's probably fine. Just to be safe I send a couple greek shield mans to draw fire/charges. I set my scout to retreat on his first turn and slam him into the other forest prov. Rename my storm commander to Samog as is right and proper, then prophet him. Recruit a bunch of crossbows and batman wizard. My start is really good actually: I have five connections, two of which are high resource forests. I'm near a coast though, so I'll need to expand out quickly. Future me: I forgot to check mercs like an idiot which sucks, because there was a crossbow company.

turn 2: Piggod murders a bunch of tribals, but his hoplites died. The other forest prov is the same poo poo but more dudes, so I'm setting pig to search for magic sites and recruiting some chaff. I think this might have been a bad move, but I don't want to lose my god on the second turn. I send out Samog with a bunch of crossbows and hoplites to murder some horse archers. This should be easy, pony bows are garbage. I also notice there is a heavy cav site to my south which is normally bad, but it looks like there are only two there? Scouts lie all the time, so I'm bashing one into that prov to find out for sure. Another batman and more crossbows. I threw in a non-sacred elf for good measure.

location spoiler: i'm pretty close to baudin's northeast

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

hmm i don't know much about pro memeing but i really want that goddamn mug. i'm also near certain that piggod doesn't have dom9 or 10

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Okay here's my view for turn 3:

loving hell! I scripted Samog to cast spells, but the idiot flew into combat and got his arm chopped off. Somehow this made the horse archers route as my dudes were routing and I got this prov. :psyduck: This is pretty bad though because my crossbows are all back at my capital which means losing another turn to go scoop them up. Losing out on two expansions this early really sucks, I'm dom4 trash :( . Assume I'm recruiting a batman in every fort forever unless otherwise stated. I also grab more crossbows and a non-sacred elf. Building a temple with samog because I have stealthy foreign-recruit (meaning I can recruit them from any prov with a temple, normally you'd need a fort as well) priests that have decent leadership. Ideally this will help me put out expansion parties faster. I'm also recruiting at least one scout per turn because my scouts are foreign-recruit as well (they don't need a temple though, so I can make a scout from literally every province. This is super good to have). With the chaff purchased I'm sending pig to take out that next forest. Right now I'm doing fine on resources, but when I want to switch over to my sacreds I'm going to need more.

Here's a spoilery kind of meme:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Feinne posted:

Bandar Log summons also gets him hilarious grandstanding poo poo like Mandeha.

Like he'll probably NEVER actually summon such a thing but if he's winning we might see such a crazy thing.

They are expensive but they are h3s that autocast darkness so they are kinda cool. If i'd gone with my gut and done a good bless they'd be a lot better. I was initially going to do like a b9/e4 or something bless but then I changed my mind after grabbing the Tuatha :shrug:

uguu posted:

Can raid well with fliers, stealthy troops and thugs, but lacks fire and astral.
Ah itz are amazing, think they got banned in the other draftgame even, vanjarl should be replaced I think.

Ah Itz at best get a1 and storm demon is a2. I've got way better uses for air gems than empowering dumbo bats. I also deliberately didn't take astral as a metagame concern since I went so heavy into blood mages. People really don't like horrors/AC.

Absum posted:

Baudin isnt scouting these guys. Thespo did make a post of his turn 3 perspective though. It's good that his nation was explained though cause I think he's gonna make posts for more turns.

Yeah i've been recording my turns.

Also gently caress all ya'll, mace markata are dope as poo poo. Especially supported by a Yaksha or two.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Gridlocked posted:

Is this the same Draft as the other one that was started a few months ago; or an entirely new one?

Do you mean ChickenWing's LP? If so then yes, this is a different draft with some different rules.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Poil posted:

Wouldn't all those spells be better cast on any other unit instead?

markata cost 5g and 1 res, they can be massed like no other.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

If I was judging the meme contest Klaus would be winning.

turn 4: BIG PIG triumphs again. Seriously this god is real good at murdering indies. I actually messed up placement so my screen routed way before pig got there and it still managed to kill everything. I now have almost more resources than I can use in a turn, which is nice given the high res values on some of my picks. I'm probably going to switch over to my sacreds soon. Sending my pig into that plains prov (bailey vale) since it's just militia and archers. My other options are a throne with phantasms (so possibly air bullshit wizards) or a mess of barbarians. Barbarians are an iffy pop type to attack because sometimes they route really quickly and other times they all go berserk and murder your things. Also I just realized that I forgot to PD my provs, oops!

turn 5: Pig clowns on the militia without any trouble. I got evo2, I'm probably going to head down evo until 5 for thunderstrike. By the end of year one I should have enough native thunder strike casters to ward off any rushes, if not I'll head down conjuration to 2 so I can summon storm power with my vanjarls so they can also TS. This works because at evo 5 you can cast Storm which creates a storm (duh) that messes up projectiles and increases the strength of some spells. Additionally, an air mage can cast summon storm power to boost their air rank by 1. This is always decent because having more ranks than you need for a spell lowers the fatigue cost. I now have a shitload of resources, so I'm switching over to making tuatha warriors and sidhe warriors. They both have stealth, high defense, and glamour which makes them real nice. That throne reveals that it's just some idiot blow pipers, nature mages, and some phantasmal warriors. It should be pretty easy, but I'm going to hold off on grabbing it for now. Pig is moving down to meet up with my prophet attacking the heavy cav prov. I'll snatch some hoplites to use as blockers and move into those farmlands probably.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turn 6: Ugh, Baudin snatched up that farm prov which is a problem. I'm not making enough money to ensure an additional fort by the end of year one unless I skip a turn of recruitment which is...not ideal. I guess I shouldn't have been so excited about all of this forest. I'm going to try to wrap around to the farm below Eastern Godsmite Desert and maybe try to snake around the northern throne to Wall's Cradle (northwest of Keep's Demense). As a general rule I usually don't place a high priority on getting early thrones, but I don't know if that's actually good strategy or not. I was hoping to hit that cave; however, there's a bunch of demons in there that turn into ghosts and I don't know how tough they will be without some magic support, so I'm gonna avoid that (Future edit: I'm a loving idiot, my prophet can drop big banishes). Next turn I'm going to hit evo2. I might detour into some alteration just to extend the life of my god's ability to expand. There's also a lot of good stuff in that school for my air mages later on, so it's not a waste to grab anyway. Here's my view of the world at the end of turn 6:

edit: If any of my strategy seems unclear or explanations are lacking feel free to ask. I can expand on why i'm doing what i'm doing, but I don't know how interesting that is.

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 8, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

turn 7: diplomanced Baudin. I found out we're all packed in on this side of the map. As you can see, in addition to Baudin to the south, there's JonJoe to the pretty near west. Additionally, Baudin says that Burlap is slightly south of that farm I'm heading towards. This is not ideal because Burlap took Blood Sacrifce as a national gimmick which is real loving annoying to deal with. Anyway, sending pig with some screeners to attack Northwestern keepwood in the north and Samog to attack lovely desert in the south. I wanted to hit that coast with Samog, but it's got a bunch of statues and a golem in it, so gently caress all that. I'm sending out a stealth expandion squad to Keepshire as well, which I didn't really scout so hopefully it's going to be okay! I'm sending out another wave of scouts to the south so I can get a better position on Baudin and Burlap. Even with O3/G3 I'm still hurting for money, this some bullshit. I opted to not switch off to alteration research since I'm so packed in with other people. I'm going to want to be able to drop lots of t-strikes ASAP.

Here's my view of the map:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

[/quote]
original meme that is © me do not steal

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turn 8: Ugh, my stealth expansion hit upon some stealthed wizards that wrecked them up. That's a lot of money in the toilet. All of the other expansions went as expected though. Fleurs has outbid me on every merc too. This is not going well. I'm going to consolidate some armies together to hit that stuff in the west before JonJoe gets to it. I'm also going to push into Burlap's cap circle because I've got nowhere else to go. I'll end up selling those to Burlap or fighting with the unholy Burlap nation I guess :shrug: (future edit: actually Burlap just acted tough and took it back. I didn't want to get into a war at that point so I backed down like a big wuss :(, Also this was an overall bad idea because I lose several turns of expansion moving back up.)
Here's my view of the world with two capitals circled:

edit: at this point you can already start to see some big differences between my draft and Baudin's. Even with a completely destroyed expansion army I've already gotten 50% more provinces. This kind of thing easily snowballs because I have an easier time replacing losses and creating new expansion armies. I've got two expansion armies still viable and i'm 99% sure that I ended up spitting another out pretty quickly. Learning to expand quickly and efficiently is a vital skill, because more land is more money and more gems, which is more power.

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 10, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i dunno if prophets were really explained yet but as a brief note: you can designate a commander as your prophet and they will automatically gain holy level 3. it will bump up to 4 if it's already 3. this can be handy because along w/ being pretty good at priest poo poo like blessing and banishing they can also claim thrones just like the pretender. (any level 3+ priest can do this)

prophets also are automatically blessed and have more or less hp depending on how much of your dominion is in a province, just like pretenders. if your prophet dies then you gotta wait like a year or so (12 turns) for its influence to fade, letting you declare another prophet. prophets can be pretty important!

now, back to the memes

6 months, but otherwise spot on. Another cool thing that H3s can do is cast Divine Blessing which automatically bless all of your sacred troops on the battlefield. Pretty handy if you've got a bunch of sacreds are need to split them up for some funky scripting shenanigans.

i am hereby submitting the meme contest winner:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

turn 9: JonJoe quit and now iloveu is taking over, which is not great. I've played iloveu before and I'm definitely the weaker player. Burlap is not willing to pay me for the province I took, so I guess we're gonna fight. Based on mage picks (mostly blood with some death) and unit picks (expensive) I'm not too worried about Burlap this early in the game. Better to trash a nation with blood sac early, before they can get some research. Burlap's cave crossbows are better than mine I think, but fire slower and my sacreds seem better. joeJoe/iloveu fail an expansion at a prov that I was about to hit, so that's good for me. I'm going really light on recruitment for a turn or two so I can poo poo out a fortress. Since you can only draw money from provs that connect to an unseiged fort, if you can jump on someone's only fort they are basically hosed. I'm gonna move my prophet's army back to that cave and take it out real quick. My prophet should be able to banish the poo poo out of demons/ghosts. (Future edit: that whole plan was really bad. I lost a bunch of turns moving back and wussed out on fighting Burlap so there was no point really)
Here's my view of the world with rough borders drawn on:

turn 10: Burlap has a bunch of stuff near my border, way more of those Earthbound than I thought were likely this early in the game. Recruiting a scout in northwestern keepwood so I can build a second fort. my expansion is loving terrible but it looks like burlap, baudin, and iloveu are also pretty hemmed in. I see boing to the south of burlap and BurntCornMuffin up north of iloveu and fleurs. Xanrick is in the ocean somewhere (I can tell because of some water only mercs). iloveu has a bunch of heavy cav ready to hit my next expansion target. I don't know if I can win or not, but gently caress it: going for it. If I win iloveu probably will leave me alone for awhile, if I lose then that probably signals an invasion. At this rate I'll have between 10 & 15 provs at the end of year one. Generally you want at least 12, so I'm sort of on track? So far I have no good indies to recruit which is a bummer, but not the end of the world. Things aren't going great, but they aren't terrible either.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

they get reinvig 3 so they are fine :v:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

goddamn :vince:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

This game is currently paused due to some :siren: ~ drama ~ :siren: or something like that. We need to find a sub for Xanrick.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Neruz posted:

Goons tend towards betrayal so goon coalitions almost inevitably fall apart without accomplishing anything as half the people in the coalition rush to stab everyone else in the coalition in the back.

It doesn't always go that way, but it usually does.

I have literally never once seen this happen in a game.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Neruz posted:

I've never not seen it happen, congrats we both have different samples I guess.

Congrats on unsurprisingly missing the point I guess.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Shoeless posted:

But... but then if no one does anything then the coalition fails to actually defeat the player it was formed against, right? It seems like you'd be better off just talking to a single player on the other side of the powerful one and agreeing to both attack- if you're on opposite sides, less chance that the backstab you and take your stuff since they'd need to go around or through the powerful player to get your things, and not as much competition over taken provinces. Or is that just unrealistic?

A really, really important part of MP dominions is effective diplomacy. You need to correctly guess what your potential allies want to do and convince them that doing things your way is the best way to reach that. Timing is also really important, once the big player gets an important global or summon going a lot of players give up.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

avoraciopoctules posted:

I have done this. Usually in multiplayer games, when someone invades me and I don't think I can win. The objective shifts to holding out as long as possible and making them struggle to consolidate their gains. If I fight to the end and they go AI or sub in a new player later, it's a good feeling.

Yeah, given the nature of dom games you're not likely to win. With this in mind it's important to have some additional victory conditions, like "make sure that fucker jsoh dies before me" or "send all my poo poo to the enemy of the jerk invading me."

avoraciopoctules posted:

You could also go for a cultural victory:

this is good

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

jng2058 posted:

I seem to recall from my Dom3 days that there was a marked difference in the gaming cultural between the SA Goons and the Dom3 Forum players. Goons were always much more ruthless and cutthroat, while the Ilwinter Forums guys would have these "unwritten rules" about never attacking in the first ten turns and stuff like that.

Is that difference still the case now that we've all moved to Dom4?

I'm in my first Desura game right now and that doesn't seem to be the case. I saw arco lose their god to a stupid expansion choice on turn six and had them completely dead by turn 12 and no one said anything.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

turn 11: Well I beat iloveu's heavy cav, but I forgot that prov had a bunch of wizards in it, so I lost a lot of troops too. Burlap sent some weird rear end message out and then took a prov from me without compensation, so I guess it's war. Fleurs took a prov in iloveu's (ilu's computer was broken and I think no one knew) cap circle so maybe they are fighting? Speaking of which, my scouting shows Fleurs looking pretty drat huge. If I succeed in all of my expansions this turn I'll be at 14 provinces which is respectable, if I fail them I'll be at 11 which is bad. I forgot to take any pictures this turn oops. Something I'm noticing about my play is that I take way too long to start wars. I should have went right at Burlap as soon as there were no indie provs to take, but I wussed out when I saw all those armored not-birdmans. I was worried I'd lose too much and then be easy pickings for Fleurs.

Also please stop talking about stupid modpud irc drama in an lp thread.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

It's actually really not a good plan to sit around doing nothing while someone else wins.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turn 12: All of my expansions succeeded. Starting up a fort in one of the new spots. It looks like Burlap has built a fort in the southernmost Morlockia province, which lets me know that burlap telegraphs fort construction (building a temple, which is visible on the map before the the fort is completed). That is potentially useful information! It looks like Burlap and Baudin had a dust up about some cap ring provinces, so that essentially seals the deal on a tag teaming by Buadin and I. Unless Burlap has a serious trump card hidden this is pretty bad diplomacy. Probably don't antagonize two of your closest neighbors right around the time that people start looking to start their first war. Based on the posturing, I'm assuming that Burlap has reached enchantment 5 for Horde of Skeletons. If not, then I'm not sure what Burlap's game plan is going to be. I'm gonna search some sites and get some real minor bloodhunts going so I can make some blood divining rods. My research is kinda bad right now, but I'll be able to make some things real soon that will speed it up. Here's my view of the world so far:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

hi do NOT hurt axolotl

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Baudin posted:

He’s a giant (all my heroes are giants) but he also has a bunch of water paths, which I do not need. I’ll set him to research until I can figure out what the hell I can do with him.

w7 Falling Frost if you're going down evo:

Range: 25
Area of effect: 5+ [1/lvl]
Number of effects: 1
Fatigue cost: 20-
Damage: 17+

otherwise you could do frost fend + grip of winter for 3 gems.

turn 14: during the space between turns the following diplomacy happened:
<thespo> .tell fleurs hey let's do a minotaurs nap until end of year 2
--homero-- fleurs said 9 hours, 24 minutes ago in #dom4goons: sure, are you the greenflagged one
<thespo> .tell fleurs yeah, I'm on the otherside of what's left of swastika nation
this is good because holy poo poo fleurs has like half the map plus it gives me time to concentrate on Burlap. idiot fucker BMC claimed the throne of gaia so a bunch of foresty bullshit is going to randomly attack a bunch of provs. Burlap did not attack that throne, so his dumb army is hiding somewhere. Samog, my prophet, has a fuckload of crossbows and is heading for the northern throne. I hope it's a cool one! Fleurs has basically swallowed up iloveu at this point, only like three provs left. Sending in mighty pig to take Heartmourn Wastes. Next turn a joint force is going to take that cave since there's a bunch of bats and axemans in there.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

foolofsound how did you determine the draft order?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

baudin post the turns

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Baudin posted:

conferring with Spooky (who is also fighting against Burlap)

spoilers:

somewhere around here the wiring in my house took a huge poo poo on all of my electronical devices and i was not able to use computers in my home for like a month, so i was of no real help. :shrug:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

finish the posts

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

post all of the rest of the turns

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

ChickenWing posted:

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

post all of the rest of the turns

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Klaus88 posted:

See, stuff like the last page of discussion and the fact that the interface for dominions inspires this reaction:

Really means that its more fun for me to watch the game being played then to actually play the game.

:munch:

probably just make this one win

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Roland Jones posted:

For something that's relevant to this thread, Baudin's actually in the game I'm planning to LP. He drafted a nation that's considerably better than his one in this game, even! However, it's also better in a way that's going to make everyone want to kill him, so, we'll see how that goes.

he has elegist and an awake dragon so he won't be a super easy target.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Decrepus posted:

Mortality clarified in a single post.

:chanpop:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

TheDemon posted:

THREE BLESSES, everyone

it still took basically the rest of the world to take him down

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

BAUDIN THE TURNS THE F-FUCKIN TURNS

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

boing won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

haha wtf is up with that god? are you at least lemuria or something?

• Locked thread