Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

George posted:

was suggesting coming up with a word for how many times you're willing to scroll back in the buffer before just retyping and someone was like "uhhhhh you knwo aabout ^r, right?"

Ruined my moment.

frreal tho what do you call this

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
call it "use ^r dispshit" or maybe "get a better shell" or "what happened to your histcontrol" or "learn to use screen"

George
Nov 27, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

call it "use ^r dispshit" or maybe "get a better shell" or "what happened to your histcontrol" or "learn to use screen"

i use screen on the server I'm too lazy to retype "ssh" into

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

haha wow gross

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nope

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i dunno termianls come with the cowsay program which if figred would be of interset

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014
the command line is pretty cool and useful

also terminal based apps make you look like a movie hacker

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MrMoo posted:

w3m detects if it is running in xterm and overlays images on the terminal for greater nerdom. here's someones screenshot:

I'm pretty sure a lot of industrial control software uses ncurses and crappy ANSI graphics.

be careful, esr was involved with ncurses with predicable results

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I always find it triggering when someone uses up arrow or copy and paste to get to a previous command, then starts using backspace to modify it

like, not only does every shell these days have history, they all also have editing, using either emacs or vi key bindings (if you're the kind of broken human being who prefers those)

gently caress copy and paste and backspace backspace backspace forever

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
htop bicth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how do you fix typos at the start of a command then?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

standard emacs cursor movement and editing keys

control-a to move cursor to start of line

meta-f and meta-b to go forward and backward by word

control-d and meta-d and meta-backspace to delete forward by character or word and delete backward by word

etc

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

you can do this

pre:
$ filget yospos birch
-bash: filget: command not found

$ figlet !*
figlet yospos birch
                                   _     _          _
 _   _  ___  ___ _ __   ___  ___  | |__ (_)_ __ ___| |__
| | | |/ _ \/ __| '_ \ / _ \/ __| | '_ \| | '__/ __| '_ \
| |_| | (_) \__ \ |_) | (_) \__ \ | |_) | | | | (__| | | |
 \__, |\___/|___/ .__/ \___/|___/ |_.__/|_|_|  \___|_| |_|
 |___/          |_|

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

personally i click where the typo is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

standard emacs cursor movement and editing keys

control-a to move cursor to start of line

meta-f and meta-b to go forward and backward by word

control-d and meta-d and meta-backspace to delete forward by character or word and delete backward by word

etc

wtf is this poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Symbolic Butt posted:

you can do this

pre:
$ filget yospos birch
-bash: filget: command not found

$ figlet !*
figlet yospos birch
                                   _     _          _
 _   _  ___  ___ _ __   ___  ___  | |__ (_)_ __ ___| |__
| | | |/ _ \/ __| '_ \ / _ \/ __| | '_ \| | '__/ __| '_ \
| |_| | (_) \__ \ |_) | (_) \__ \ | |_) | | | | (__| | | |
 \__, |\___/|___/ .__/ \___/|___/ |_.__/|_|_|  \___|_| |_|
 |___/          |_|

sudo !! is cool+good

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Captain Foo posted:

wtf is this poo poo

a Linux. it seems.

George
Nov 27, 2004

!$ is really good, too

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm still upset that SA doesn't render correctly in text only browsers.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

https://github.com/nvbn/thefuck

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

powershell is seriously the proest shell. the syntax takes some getting used to but having actual objects on the command line owns once you have your head around it.

making everything a single text stream is for dopes, that poo poo was old 40 years ago and hasn't gotten any better with time. anytime you're pulling out something like "cut" you need to rethink your choices in life.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Visual GNUdio posted:

powershell is seriously the proest shell. the syntax takes some getting used to but having actual objects on the command line owns once you have your head around it.

making everything a single text stream is for dopes, that poo poo was old 40 years ago and hasn't gotten any better with time. anytime you're pulling out something like "cut" you need to rethink your choices in life.

I'm not convinced, give me examples

and yeah, cut is dumb. awk is where it is

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

powershell is the one without copy & paste and no utf-8 support right?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Visual GNUdio posted:

couldn't i just stay in ipython all day and do the same thing?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Visual GNUdio posted:

Symbolics did it better

the objects you interacted with on the command line were still live as output and could be manipulated further

also the approach used by powershell isn't substantially different than the approach used by AppleScript and the AppleEvent Object Model

both were put together in the late 1980s

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Visual GNUdio posted:

lmao at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Perplx posted:

couldn't i just stay in ipython all day and do the same thing?

IPython is better because it's trying to be like Mathematica but open

and Mathematica also did live-objects I/O similar to the Symbolics Dynamic Windows system and around the same time

basically PowerShell is just an incremental improvement on UNIX shells and the shell programming model, not actually good. better systems have existed for 25-30 years

• Locked thread