Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Keep your loving '95 Mauser loaded, scan the horizon for Red Shirts, and eat some Biltong!

It's beautiful, rich, tasty, long lasting, sustained white expansion into Africa, it's Biltong!

I'd like to approach this thread in a more Q&A way, I know a bit about Biltong, but not much about Jerky.

What are the differences? Does the US have a Droewors equivalent?

Also, I've heard that Afrikaner trekkers (Europeans) used to put the strips of meat underneath their saddles in order to salt the meat, by using horse sweat, is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg2feZCJNiE

***** FOREIGNERS TASTES BILTONG, GINGER TRIGGER WARNING ****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDDG5Ih-t8o

http://imgur.com/gallery/74rpT

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
here is how you make salted dried meat strips :

• salt the meat strips
  • dry the meat strips

thanks for the duck dynasty youtube videos

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

mindphlux posted:

here is how you make salted dried meat strips :

• salt the meat strips
  • dry the meat strips

thanks for the duck dynasty youtube videos

I've had pretty lovely Biltong, I've had amazing Biltong, don't think Biltong is the same as Ice Cubes. Absolutely an art to it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bluegoon posted:

I've had pretty lovely Biltong, I've had amazing Biltong, don't think Biltong is the same as Ice Cubes. Absolutely an art to it.

cool, I agree. have you tried making biltong or jerky? have any recipes to share? good attempts, bad attempts?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

mindphlux posted:

cool, I agree. have you tried making biltong or jerky? have any recipes to share? good attempts, bad attempts?

I've made jerky and know how to make biltong.

Jerky is an art form - you've got to get the marinade right first and foremost, if you're using one, otherwise it spoils a whole batch.

Meat of choice - topside roast. I cut mine down into about 15mm square strips, or just into thick bite size pieces. Ensure your marinade has an acid in it like vinegar. Worcestershire sauce also has its place as does soy sauce. I use this recipe for my marinade:

1/4 cup Soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 tsp onion flakes or 1/4 an onion
1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
1/2 Teaspoon chili powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin
1/4 Teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Hot sauce of choice, to taste. I find chipotle Tabasco works really well for a smoky spicy finish.

Marinade for a day ideally. I find watering the marinade down with a little warm water helps it get into the meat, you want a thinner consistency. The above recipe doesn't need much but the thicker marinades do.

Anyway, marinate for 24 hours, then drain fully. Load it into your dehydrator and run it until it hits the desired texture, and remember that dryer jerky is always going to last longer. I vacuum seal it in packs for work.

As for biltong, I don't have any recipes but I know the key is to dry age it. An airing cupboard is fine, the other option is to get a cheap flatpack cupboard, with a low shelf and high shelf, drill holes up the top below the top shelf and also below the bottom shelf. Drill holes in the bottom shelf too. Mount a 100W bulb under the bottom shelf with a switch outside of the cabinet. Line the top of the bottom shelf with aluminium foil, and poke the ventilation holes. Mount a few racks up on the underside of the top shelf, these will hang your meat. Get meat hooks, and hang your sliced meat from the racks. Leave the light on and it will force natural convection to occur as the heat produced by the light rises up. This slowly cures the meat just the way the African guys do it. This is what an African butcher told me, I'm in the boat of $70 for a kilo of jerky or biltong in Australia can get hosed I'll make it myself.

• Locked thread