Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013

Anticheese posted:

This was done and some problems were ironed out over about four hazy hours late at night/early in the morning, and I'm really glad that I left comments in everything. I found that Game Maker doesn't support running a couple of rooms simultaneously (so I could have the player avatar walk around the ship, fix problems and live their daily life while also simulating the ship drift), so I'm not sure what to do with this next. Maybe a racing game taking after that in Inner Space.

Did you think about just making it splitscreen? You have both a layout of your ship and an outside view of it.
Your player character and the ship are different entities on the same screen. It's just one room, just with distinct areas.

Think of how wonderful the bugs will be when your MC accidentally walks through a wall and into space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I have no idea what I'm doing in Unity but I spent 200 dollars on extensions and stuff so by God Citizen Kane 64 is going to happen.
(Everything but the cursed katana, Roseblood, is pre-made placeholder graphics)

Design/story is going pretty smoothly though. Hopefully I'll have a basic asset list for Stuff to work on by tomorrow.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just wanted to say I'm a big fan of this thread, I've been involved in similar threads on other forums off and on and it's amazing how much it can contribute to your motivation.

I'm personally on a looooong journey towards making my own game, largely by myself, so it may be a while before I have any real content to post.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Yeah, this is a cool idea for a thread, hopefully it gets some more traction. Kind of feel like I'm in a weird spot where I have a project I want to get back to but it's in OpenFL and after spending some time with Unity at this point I feel like I did a whole bunch of small things for no good reason. Trying to decide if I just want to say gently caress it and port it all to Unity or keep going with the current code base.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I just got the source code for Slam Fighter II so I'm going to figure out how Ziggy Starfucker got that hooked up. It'll be fun to make some tweaks to that, particularly since Ziggy already did all of the hard work. I'm gonna try to drop in some additional animation frames and maybe even add a new character. So updates on that will be coming here eventually.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Bloodly posted:

My thought on hearing this is to ask more questions. Are you fighting 'the world', or 'an opponent' or even both? What is the purpose of your building up? Are we talking Anno or Age of Empires/Rise of Nations? I'm a fan of both kinds(Yet suck at both).

I love questions :) Currently, the player (or players, in a multiplayer game) fights NPC enemies in the world.
The hostile NPCs are similar to Civ5's barbarian camps and Warcraft 3's creep camps. After a set amount of time, they start spawning soldier units and sending them out to attack various points of interest and patrol routes.
There are neutral NPC cities as well, but all they do at the moment is get beat up by the hostile NPCs... My plan is for them to be trading partners and quest givers rather than opponents.

I was originally planning on making combat a much smaller aspect of the game, but the game felt kind of aimless and I was struggling with what you asked, the "purpose of building up" so to speak. Even if you present the player with interesting choices in the city-building gameplay, an analytical player will quickly figure out the optimal opening and solve the game (unless you go the simulation route, but I prefer giving the player individual unit control instead of simulated agents)

Anno's a great game and I want to see if elements of that genre (whatever it's called. logistics-citybuilder?) can be combined with traditional RTS (AoE/*craft) combat. I feel like the key would be not to fight against a human opponent, but instead let the player seek out combat on their own terms (while also defending your cities from small NPC raids). I'm a big blizz RTS fan and even I get wrist pains just thinking about playing an anno-style RTS in a 1v1 setting.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
'More interaction with the NPCs' is my first thought. Let them build up, too. And if a player wants to rely on CPU cities for his own protection(Maybe a bad spawn or the CPU's got things you don't or can't get), let him.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Bloodly posted:

'More interaction with the NPCs' is my first thought. Let them build up, too. And if a player wants to rely on CPU cities for his own protection(Maybe a bad spawn or the CPU's got things you don't or can't get), let him.

Yeah, my problem is how insanely much work it is to make an AI that "plays by the rules", doubly so when I'm changing those rules often, tossing out game mechanics that don't work and adding new ones. Making strategy game AI could keep me occupied for years, especially one that needs to be robust and performant..

I did get started on a generalist AI that could handle unit movement, resource gathering and building placement but it often got stuck in one of millions of edge cases. If the player actively sabotaged the AI by blocking it, it was easy to get it stuck in a rut from which it never recovered. So right now, I'm seeing how far I can go by just having the AI cheat - since you don't really fight the other cities directly, it's not as noticeable that they don't have to abide by the rules.
But yeah, in the future I would like to implement a simple beehive city AI that strives to maximize its population, then once a certain threshold is reached, send out half its population to found a new city.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It'd be a real shame to let this thread disappear completely. Hobbyist game design is something that deserves more attention!

Fortunately, I have a progress update! My game, Hero.ROM, has reached Episode 2, and you can play it now!

Hero.ROM Episode 2: The Battle of Damsel Park (Includes Episode 1 if you need to start from the beginning.)

I learned a lot designing this one. I tried to avoid standard adventure game gameplay in the first episode in favor of more light-RPG elements, but with Episode 2 I realized structuring it more like a traditional adventure game was just plain better for the kind of game I was trying to make. Hero.ROM has always been as much of a showcase for my writing as anything else, and the classic flow of "See problem -> Find item -> Use item to solve problem" is just too elegant from a storytelling standpoint to ignore. That said, I'm also trying to give each episode unique mechanics (in this case, building up an army for the final battle) to give them their own flavor. Twine is an incredibly versatile tool and even with all the crazy poo poo I do in Episode 2 I'm only barely pushing the limits. (I mean, it accepts both HTML commands and freaking Javascript, so there kinda aren't limits!) I strongly encourage everyone interested in hobbyist game design to give Twine 2 a look. It's not just for poems and I-Hate-My-Life Simulators. It really can scale to whatever skill and effort level you want to bring to it, and you can make all kinds of things with it.

That being said, I've been having a hell of a time holding down people to give me feedback on this one. I think the lack of visuals is turning people off before they have a chance to realize it's an actual game. If anyone would be willing to take a look at the game and give me their thoughts, I'd very much appreciate it.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Don't have too much time to sink my teeth into it, but I am enjoying it so far. Really like what you did with the font effects and the humour is right up my alley.

Twine is an amazing tool, but I get very quickly burnt out on it, as I was never that confident in the value of my writing.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Nice, Rocketlex, thanks for sharing! I played thru episode one furtively at work, will do it again and other stuff later.

I've gotten into the guts of Slam Fighter but am having issues with managing source control between all the different versions of visual studio Ziggy Starfucker and I are using so at the moment code checkin involves copying the latest new code, emailing it to the other person, and them pasting it into wherever it goes, which is somewhat less than ideal :v: . Also for whatever reason on my computer if I want to add a new asset I have to put it in a new project, build that project, then grab the xna-ified asset and drop it into the Slam Fighter bin files which is totally lame but if I don't do that I get exceptions when I try to run the build. This doesn't happen on Ziggy's computer. Maybe teamwork is overrated!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
We brought on another member to the dev team of Team Dogpit! One that the other members won't be doing sex things to! Seeing as that was the case, I realized we would either need to engage in a menage a trois or implement some kind of project management. (tough choice) We tried passing code via email for like a day before we were like OK no this is dumb as hell, so I spent hours making a dumb windows form app that imitated the functionality of visual studio before I was like...maybe I should get new guy in visual studio.

Yep so that's progress on Slam Fighter II. :downs:

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Xibanya posted:

We brought on another member to the dev team of Team Dogpit! One that the other members won't be doing sex things to! Seeing as that was the case, I realized we would either need to engage in a menage a trois or implement some kind of project management. (tough choice) We tried passing code via email for like a day before we were like OK no this is dumb as hell, so I spent hours making a dumb windows form app that imitated the functionality of visual studio before I was like...maybe I should get new guy in visual studio.

Yep so that's progress on Slam Fighter II. :downs:

If people reading this don't know you're working on this game with your fiancé the first line of this post sounds SUPER weird

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

blinkeve1826 posted:

If people reading this don't know you're working on this game with your fiancé the first line of this post sounds SUPER weird

Yes :allears:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, what was left of Sexy Local Team in Your Area left the Citizen Kane project I'm working on (though we decided to work on a more manageable project instead.) :(
I'm hoping I can find another 3D artist/animator and maybe add a 2D artist to make Max Payne-style comic cutscenes, but it looks like progress is gonna be slow since I can barely model anything that's not a cube.
Here's a few shots of what I have:

They're from the only level that's been made so far, a tutorial level based on this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47l_q4YjSc4

Susan is the first boss, but the only her mechanical spider arms armed with chainsaws, buzzsaws, knives and drills were modeled.

If, uh... If anyone reading this might be interested in helping out I totally wouldn't complain. But in the mean time, Sexy Local Team in Your Area will be working on John Madden: Ghost Slayer.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Bammo: new Slam Fighter II build! http://slamfighter.com/download

Now in vs mode p2 can select the same character as p1. This was stupidly tricky to implement because each character has their own class and they are each done slightly differently because we changed gameplay partway thru game jam. Doing lots of code cleanup now and making this as nice as possible! Oh yeah, also the bad guy has a new voice and all the characters have palette swaps that you can activate by pressing x on character select while the character is highlighted. Enjoy!

Pretty soon we're gonna start experimenting with radically different gameplay, but for now I'm happy with the work that's getting done so far.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Here's a weird question since I'm about ready to register my LLC and get everything rolling legally... Is it better to call yourself [whatever] Games? Studios? Does it even really matter?

I was trying to figure out what the protocol was for this. I might end up doing media other than games as well, so I'm leaning towards Studios.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
You can call legally yourself whatever the gently caress you want, it's all up to branding. We went with Ghost Crab Games because we wanted something with no SEO presence and we could make a good logo out of it. Also it can be shortened to GCG easily.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yeah I'm debating myself on whether my little organization should stay Team Dogpit or go for Dogpit Studios or some such thing as we approach making a game to actually sell. Part of me wants to stay Team Dogpit for the lulz though. "Dogpit" itself is staying though, as it's a name my fiance and I have used for about three years now to describe ourselves.

Oh yeah, and patch out, get new Slam Fighter II build here: http://slamfighter.com/download

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Slam Fighter II, v.1.3.0 out and proud! http://slamfighter.com/download

So I'm about two releases away from saying Slam Fighter II is totally done, no more dev work to be done on it. Revving up to start working on Slam Fighter I though, so I'm gettin' hype.

Slam Fighter I is gonna involve some Metroidvania style platforming (along with some Patapon-ish elements,) does anybody have any good guides to sidescrolling level design or any pointers in general?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Xibanya posted:

Slam Fighter II, v.1.3.0 out and proud! http://slamfighter.com/download

So I'm about two releases away from saying Slam Fighter II is totally done, no more dev work to be done on it. Revving up to start working on Slam Fighter I though, so I'm gettin' hype.

Slam Fighter I is gonna involve some Metroidvania style platforming (along with some Patapon-ish elements,) does anybody have any good guides to sidescrolling level design or any pointers in general?

Flow. Always flow. Noncritical paths, by all means, can involve backtracking, but the further away someone has to go to find a new area with their shiny new power, the more frustrated they're going to get. So think of it in terms of a 'core' path, which goes from area to area in a pretty organic fashion. That way, you don't have to handhold as much. Always give a little leeway on jumps. Not enough, say, to get to a platform you intended double jumping/wall-jumping to reach, but enough that a minor fuckup isn't going to screw the jump, especially in dangerous areas.

And always, always, be thinking of the five Ws: When Where Why Who What. Who isn't always important in the context, but still a thing to watch out for.

This talk also seems to be quite useful: Things I've Learned [While making MetroidVanias]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Thanks! That's awesome.

JamieTheD posted:

Flow. Always flow. Noncritical paths, by all means, can involve backtracking, but the further away someone has to go to find a new area with their shiny new power, the more frustrated they're going to get. So think of it in terms of a 'core' path, which goes from area to area in a pretty organic fashion. That way, you don't have to handhold as much.

interesting, that seems counter-intuitive at first but I think I might see what you mean? On the other hand, I'm rather fond of Knytt and Knytt Underground which don't seem to adhere to this, but it could be that I'm so new to level design that I'm missing something.

JamieTheD posted:

Always give a little leeway on jumps. Not enough, say, to get to a platform you intended double jumping/wall-jumping to reach, but enough that a minor fuckup isn't going to screw the jump, especially in dangerous areas.

Yeah, not interested in making a pixel-perfect platformer (as much as I enjoy Electronic Super Joy). How do people even make pixel-perfect platformers (well)? I have a platformer that I started but haven't touched in several months (you can see a slightly earlier version of it in action here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4P8FX4ZVlo wow. I'm so talented.) the way I'm handling where the jumpyman (public class bunbun!) is actually located involves a calculation involving game time and how strong "gravity" is (how fast I want the jumpyman to rise and fall.) It's not super easy for me to make the jumping precise like that (I have no idea how many pixels precisely a bunbun can jump in any direction.) Is there a different way of doing this that yields more precise results or do devs for pixel-perfect platformers just do a lot of trial and error?

EDIT:

Bonus content! My sprite sheet! (I did this in inkscape with a mouuusee!)

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 3, 2015

• Locked thread