Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

(Akagami no Shirayuki-hime)

Reposting now with a better thread title, since the original wasn't getting much traffic anyway. :v: Simulcasts every Monday at 12:00 PM Eastern on Funimation and Hulu!

Synopsis
In the kingdom of Tanbarun lives Shirayuki, an independent and strong-willed young woman. Her resourceful intelligence has led her become a skilled pharmacist, but her most defining trait is her shock of beautiful apple-red hair. Her dazzling mane gets her noticed by the prince of the kingdom, but instead of romancing her, he demands she be his concubine. Shirayuki refuses, chops off her lovely locks, and runs away to the neighboring kingdom of Clarines. There, she befriends a young man named Zen, who, SURPRISE, is also a prince, although with a much better temperament than the previous one. Watch as Shirayuki finds her place in the new kingdom, and in Zen’s heart.

(Source: FUNimation)

The studio is BONES, by the way. The same one that did Ouran, BBB, and and a whole bunch of other shows.

Main Cast

Shirayuki

An up-and-coming herbalist whose red hair is highly unusual. Due to several incidents involving her hair (including the prince of Tanbarun requesting that she become his concubine), Shirayuki abandons her shop in the middle of the night. She escapes into the forest to meet...

Zen Wistalia

Zen is the second prince of the neighboring kingdom Clarines, who has an accidental encounter with Shirayuki after jumping a little too enthusiastically over a fence. After clearing up some things with Prince Raj (and getting poisoned in the process - don't worry, he's fine), he officially hires Shirayuki as a palace pharmacist of Clarines. Princely Aura: 10/10.

Kiki (blonde) and Mitsuhide (blue)

Zen's two aides who accompany him everywhere. Mitsuhide is more polite and forgiving of Zen's antics, while Kiki refrains from pleasantries and cuts straight to the point. Kiki is the best.

Obi

A hired assassin who switches sides after meeting Shirayuki and Zen.

Other Characters

Prince Raj

Beauty and grace personified.

Ryuu

A new pharmacist that Shirayuki meets. He's pretty accomplished for his age.

So what's in it for me if I watch this show?

A mix of ACTION!

DISOBEYING ROYALTY!

NICE SCENERY!

and the most important of all... HARDCORE APOTHECARY ACTION! of which there's a disappointingly small amount of .gifs

oh yeah, there's romance too. see: the entire show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hooray! New thread, non-bad-joke title. I'm just gonna migrate my other posts over here because I'm too lazy to come up with anything new to say tonight.

I've had the manga on my reading list forever but hadn't got around to it so when the anime was announced I decided to watch it instead and so far that has been a good choice because the show is quite pretty. It's nice to have a story with a fantasy setting where the plot doesn't revolve around saving the world and/or kingdom. I like the romance but I'm also OK with it being a slice of life with Shirayuki figuring out her place in her new home.

Re: tonight's ep -- I like how this show takes the non-melodramatic option: Something's wrong with Shirayuki!? Instead of collapsing or being super ill she just needs to take a nap haha.
I'm also liking the relationship pace so far. Like nothing has been explicitly said yet but they don't really need to.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
We can make low content posts together! I think we're the only ones watching this anyway.

When I said I wasn't going to see the new episode, I lied.

Obi is a pretty cool dude at least.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
This week is a bit different for me so I'll find some time to catch up on it soonish. I saw the first episode when it came out and like everyone said, it's really pretty.
It doesn't change the fact that I prefer lurking to posting. Sorry in advance.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nondevor posted:

Obi is a pretty cool dude at least.

Yeah he is much less obnoxious than I was afraid he was gonna be at first.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm watching this! I just don't have that much to say. I've been following this manga for years now, so I'm pretty familiar with the story and all that, but it is a nice, low key romance shoujo.

The problem with the manga is that it just kind of... keeps going. It never really gets any worse but it's been meandering for a while. I mean, things do happen, and situations change, but it all feels so slow. But the manga had a fantastic first act so if the anime keeps up with that then it should be a good series.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah the only "issue" i can even pretend to have with the show is that i'm not sure where it's going. Snow got her position at the castle and regardless of her feelings, she's proved herself as well. i'm content to just watch this beautiful show go on for its two(?) cours though, same as OreMono.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The low amounts of drama in this show make it so relaxing to watch, which is a perfect way to wind down the day with.

Except for the oddly high-tension action scenes, but those can stay.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hahaha that reaction in the garden :lol:

Zen is very cute in this episode :3:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Everything Burrito posted:

Zen is very cute in this episode :3:

That's good to hear. :3: I think Zen is one of the better princely dudes out there because of his reactions.

Unfortunately I'm busy today, so I'll have to catch the episode later. Makes for some good end-of-the-day watching though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Zen's schtick is that he completely wears his heart on his sleeve, while Shirayuki is more reserved and so can act as the audience stand-in. Zen is more emotionally tumultuous, while Shirayuki already has a stable personality. Zen needs Shirayuki more than she needs him.

And both characters are simply nice people, and lack the typical pathologies of anime characters.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I keep trying to ditch my funimation sub but good shows keep coming out, I guess I'll just pay for a year and forget about it!

This show good.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
well, seeya
/

Wow, Izaria's a real jerk! I think the voice acting amplified that by ten times from the manga. Also yay, useless-prince Raj made another appearance. I can't help but like him due to his facial expressions.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Can't say much that hasn't already been said, but I really like this show and its characters. Obi's a personal favorite just for being a random-rear end castle ninja who can't venture far from his tree.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Really been happy catching up with this show. It's just super pleasant and nice to watch. Raj is very funny. Not a lot to say really. Everybody's great.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Nondevor posted:

well, seeya
/

Wow, Izaria's a real jerk! I think the voice acting amplified that by ten times from the manga. Also yay, useless-prince Raj made another appearance. I can't help but like him due to his facial expressions.

That's the arrogance of a Highschool Level Heir for you. :) (The seiyuu for Byakuya Togami from Danganronpa is the also the seiyuu for Izaria)

I like how the named characters in the show aren't really evil; Raj's whims in the first episode are awful and could have been much worse for Shirayuki in a darker work but you can see how in this episode there maybe is some hope for him to live up to Shirayuki's expectations.

I can't help but grin at how this work works as something of a rebuttal to George R R Martins insistence that "If in real life a peasant girl talks back to a prince..." Well the rest is better left unsaid but this work is so far the opposite from that and so nice and good that I can be very comfortable in saying "Yeah it isn't realistic per se but it's fun!" And sometimes being fun is all it needs to be.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like how the named characters in the show aren't really evil; Raj's whims in the first episode are awful and could have been much worse for Shirayuki in a darker work but you can see how in this episode there maybe is some hope for him to live up to Shirayuki's expectations.

I was thinking about that watching the last episode. Even the characters who are initially set up as antagonistic are relatable -- I ended up liking the older prince quite a bit once he had more development.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
When this show decides to have some violence it doesn't gently caress around. :stare:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

When this show decides to have some violence it doesn't gently caress around. :stare:

BONES using its experience from BBB and other shows, it seems.

Alternative answer: shoujo is intense.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah that was way more brutal than I was expecting.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Studio Bones is pretty good at fight scenes. I should watch more of their stuff.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The bandit fight copped out when they didn't kill any of them. This one had no such attempts. Perhaps the point was to draw a contrast between Zen and Izana.

Also, this episode knocked it out of the loving park. There were little hints there and then, so the betrayal wasn't unexpected to the audience. But I can't believe the show didn't cop out of killing Atri as well. I was entirely expecting a lessening of will, no more than a mere exile, up until the point a grown man slices open a child with a sword.

Zen remains the emotional heart of this show, someone who despite past betrayals, is still willing to open himself up to others.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Another thought about this show. Unlike many other shows, the two leads are not defined by one another, they are both active characters in their own right. Shirayuki was a skilled and successful herbalist before she met Zen. Zen meeting Shirayuki was merely one step in his long journey of personal growth. Both characters can stand on their own, and so become even stronger together.

Some of the shots this episode were also great.

I really liked this show of Atri reflecting himself on the piece of flint he was carving. Who is this arrowhead aimed for? Himself?

Then there were these two shots of Zen and Mitsuhide. It starts off with a deliberate barrier between the two, then the camera zooms out, and both figures are encompassed within the same windowframe. For the first time, a connection is forming between the two.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i did it, i watched the anime

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they kissed!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

they kissed!

Puts it way above all sorts of other anime

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Cake Attack posted:

they kissed!

:neckbeard:

Puts it way above all sorts of other anime

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
For real, the anime is making me like Shirayuki and Zen's romance a lot more.

In the manga their development felt more slow paced and not as... interesting? Probably because of the monthly releases and meandering. Good adaption!

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Nondevor posted:

For real, the anime is making me like Shirayuki and Zen's romance a lot more.

In the manga their development felt more slow paced and not as... interesting? Probably because of the monthly releases and meandering. Good adaption!

It's boring as hell lately and it seems to be going around in circles

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what day does this show air

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh it was in the OP, it's mondays.

welp see you all then

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Newest episode was super cute!

Flustered Shirayuki is super cute!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Zen is such a dork :3: I liked his whole dialogue with Mitsuhide and how he was barely keeping himself together haha.

Obi's also a very good wingman in his own way! Sometimes I find myself getting surprised at how good of a character he is compared to his introduction, though I guess it helps because he hangs around Shirayuki all the time.

Anyway, very cute episode! Does anyone know for sure about the split cour status of this show? It'd be a shame if it ended around here.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
According to ANN the second season starts in January.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ahhh that was so good :kimchi:

Zen and Shirayuki were both super cute in this one. I know the thing that keeps being said about this is it looks like a Disney or Ghibli movie but the forest scene was way too pretty for a regular tv show.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

oh it was in the OP, it's mondays.

welp see you all then

Hello all, it was cute

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that must have been the most benign evil plan ever

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh poo poo zen became harry ord

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Looks like it's over for now. My Mondays will be a little less colorful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well at least one show this season had a good last episode.

• Locked thread