Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

She didn't realize why Riley was calling her That Woman. To Scout she was just this cool famous lady her Dad was staying with temporarily. Now she actually understands, and agrees that Shelly is so terrible that you don't even want to call her by her name.

Besides she always called Shelly "That Woman" to Riley, Tim, everyone but Shelly. So it's not like they're noticing a difference. Scout just means it now.

Edit: Has she actually started calling her That Woman? I looked and couldn't find anything after when Scout told Riley "That Woman is having a baby" and she was still friends with Shelly at the time.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I thought that Riley wasn't afraid to vent her thoughts about Shelley to Scout because of this strip and this one. Scout looked way too hostile when asking if Shelley planned to marry Tim, and that had to come from somewhere.

From how I see it, Riley's stories to Scout didn't go into details about what Tim did while placing all the blame on That Woman and how she is the worst. Then it took Scout finding out Shelley wrote the Tibkins books for her to give Shelley a chance. Like Riley lets her feelings be known to Scout on such a regular basis that Scout thinks she couldn't be openly friendly with Shelley.

Honestly, I just feel bad for Scout being caught up in the middle of the adults around her. :(

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Granted, I haven't been in or near a similar situation in real life or anything but... shouldn't Tim be doing something to actually address the problem here? Outside the looming threat of Pa Beckwith, he seems pretty content to just work in a startup, live with Shelley, and be more or less completely absent from his daughter's life. Even before the affair with Shelley, he didn't seem that sad about just loving off to live in the woods, talking to nobody.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
To be fair he is a terrible person.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Tim does need to make some decisions, but the first one is going to have to be "should I move towards a permanent relationship with Shelley or try to mend fences with Riley?", which is not an easy decision to make.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm still waiting for Ryan to finally fill up his rage meter and clock Tim a good one. It's about the most sensible thing anyone's done up to this point with regards to Tim.

Rand Brittain posted:

Tim does need to make some decisions, but the first one is going to have to be "should I move towards a permanent relationship with Shelley or try to mend fences with Riley?", which is not an easy decision to make.

He could do both and have a friendly relationship with Riley, maybe. What makes Tim terrible here is that he has to know that Riley and Scout have moved to Tackleford by this point, and yet he chooses to stay away from them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, Scout's been coming to visit. It's only Riley he's avoiding.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

Granted, I haven't been in or near a similar situation in real life or anything but... shouldn't Tim be doing something to actually address the problem here? Outside the looming threat of Pa Beckwith, he seems pretty content to just work in a startup, live with Shelley, and be more or less completely absent from his daughter's life. Even before the affair with Shelley, he didn't seem that sad about just loving off to live in the woods, talking to nobody.

Tim kind of handles any form of responsibility disastrously. The best possible outcome of him deciding to man up and address the problem here is that he accidentally makes Shelley explode somehow

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, Scout's been coming to visit. It's only Riley he's avoiding.

Ah, good point. It's just that the strips made it look like Tim didn't spend much time with Scout when she visited. Though I'm not sure if Scout visited Tim and Shelley when she moved to Tackleford.

Someone pointed out a few pages back that Riley had manipulated Tim into moving with her and cutting off his contact from his friends, which is why I seriously don't like her. When I read the comic back then I thought it was pretty messed up that she got away with it scot-free.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The thing was that Tim figured it out himself and agreed with her.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's also possible that Scout is still just pretending in front of her mom because the fact that Shelley and her were friends is a secret.

I never had the patience to go back and read through the old Scary Go Round archive, so I don't really have a full context for these characters, but I'd like things to turn out well for them. I have a lot of sympathy for Tim because he appears to be a cursed man who unleashes some sort of unspeakable evil whenever he does anything. He even hosed up being a hermit, despite making some real nice smoked meats.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dabir posted:

The thing was that Tim figured it out himself and agreed with her.

That doesn't really make it not an emotional abuser's tactic.

EDIT: Riley is kind of an interesting character, because her original story role was "the normal person who has no time for all this fantasy-comedy-mystery nonsense." This puts her in a sort of weird position now that the comic has done a mild genre-shift into "let's take this a little more seriously and see how all these manic pixies cope with some real problems."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of the Bobbinsverse, Ken Lord showed up in Giant Days and he was terrible.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The redhead teacher's husband?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yep, he's in #29 and he's a big old horrible creeper. And due to the time skip, this would still have been 2 years before Mrs Lord even joined the school, so he might even have got worse in the intervening time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

nine-gear crow posted:

If this is where she bites it, I think I'll be quite content because it means she went out the way she lived: a well-meaning short-sighted fool who thought she totally had this, when in fact she didn't have this.

What gets me is that she saw him get knocked out, was explicitly told that he was knocked out, but still charged in there to do the ":byodood: I KNOW YOU ARE STILL IN THERE :byodood: " cliché anyway.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I thought that Riley wasn't afraid to vent her thoughts about Shelley to Scout because of this strip and this one. Scout looked way too hostile when asking if Shelley planned to marry Tim, and that had to come from somewhere.

From how I see it, Riley's stories to Scout didn't go into details about what Tim did while placing all the blame on That Woman and how she is the worst. Then it took Scout finding out Shelley wrote the Tibkins books for her to give Shelley a chance. Like Riley lets her feelings be known to Scout on such a regular basis that Scout thinks she couldn't be openly friendly with Shelley.

Honestly, I just feel bad for Scout being caught up in the middle of the adults around her. :(

I'm pretty sure every parent in the world think they're about a hundred times better at not saying stuff in front of their kids than they actually are so these things don't NECESSARILY mean that Riley is venting about Shelley to Scout.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Giant Days is also full of terrible people, with Susan taking the crown for the Most Terrible. But Ken Lord's appearance there is pretty baffling considering how harmless he was in his first appearance in SGR. Like he full-on pumped Esther with alcohol with the intent of having his way with her, and Mrs. Lord in SGR recently mentioned how he keeps cheating on her (presumably with college girls).

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm pretty sure every parent in the world think they're about a hundred times better at not saying stuff in front of their kids than they actually are so these things don't NECESSARILY mean that Riley is venting about Shelley to Scout.

Now I can't help but imagine Riley constantly letting it slip during casual conversation. :v: "Now honey, brush your teeth before going to bed...also I hate That Woman."

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Didn't Mrs Lord meet Mr Lord in some sort of lecturer-student scenario?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Lords mention it in this strip. It sounds questionable, yeah, but it doesn't seem as terrible as in Giant Days where he's all "I'm going to get my student drunk and sleep with her".

Also, loving hell, the new issue of Giant Days fully cements Susan's status as The Worst.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well he's not in his natural environment there, he's keeping up appearances. Plus there aren't any college girls around.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yeah, I get that. It's just a bit bizarre to me that Ken Lord was brought back after all this time, and that his creepometer was turned up to 11.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Is Volume 5 of Giant Days out yet?

Actually, Google informs me that it's been out for ages and I didn't notice. Better pick up a copy at the weekend.

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 7, 2017

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

amigolupus posted:

Also, loving hell, the new issue of Giant Days fully cements Susan's status as The Worst.
It kills me, because I really liked Susan Ptolemy during Giant Days' original run.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bell_ posted:

It kills me, because I really liked Susan Ptolemy during Giant Days' original run.

I was going to say, it's been quite a while since I've read Giant Days, but I remember liking Susan a lot. What happened to put her into the role of "Just The Worst"?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Lord of Hats posted:

I was going to say, it's been quite a while since I've read Giant Days, but I remember liking Susan a lot. What happened to put her into the role of "Just The Worst"?

For some context, Susan and McGraw dated for a while but broke up due to different priorities. McGraw moved on and got together with new character Emilia. Meanwhile, Daisy got into her first relationship with Ingrid, a free-spirited foreign exchange student. Susan being terrible built up over the course of the series, with this as the main thread:

• In the issue where the trio invited friends over for dinner, Emilia gave Susan sensible advice to not let Ingrid into their home, since she's huge trouble. Later, Susan saw McGraw and Emilia kissing and decided to spit on said advice by telling Ingrid to treat their place as her own. She did not run this decision with Esther or Daisy, the one who will be most affected by this
  • During winter break, she ran into McGraw, they got completely drunk, and they rekindled the spark between them.
  • When Esther complained to her about dealing with Emilia, Susan acts like it's no big deal and seems to be be more pleasant about her. She knows drat well she and McGraw are having an affair behind Emilia's back
  • In the latest issue, Susan and Esther have had enough of dealing with Ingrid in their home. Despite being the one responsible for this situation in the first place, Susan tells Esther she has to be the one to tell Daisy that they think Ingrid is a nightmare to deal with. It ends as badly as you think.
  • Esther also finally calls out Susan for her affair with McGraw. Susan then turns this around to Esther, claiming she's a traitor for being friends with Emilia.
  • Susan defends her affair with McGraw by saying they never slept together and framing it like it's a pure, forbidden love. This appeals to Esther's romantic side, and the two call a truce. What makes it worse is that the next page shows McGraw breaking up with Emilia and the immediate fallout.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I still like Susan, but she has been holding Esther's drama magnet lately.

E: Did we know McGraw's given name before this issue? Also appreciated the inclusion of the hardware/etc store in the relationship chart.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 8, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We learned it when he first hooked up with Emilia, possibly earlier.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Susan was my favorite character after having only read the first omnibus and now I'm super worried.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Did Allison take the original Giant Days offline? I can't find many signs of Giant Days from 2011 because I wanted to share the panels of Susan's amazing cape, which wrapped up in an article of clothing much of what I loved about the character.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bell_ posted:

Did Allison take the original Giant Days offline? I can't find many signs of Giant Days from 2011 because I wanted to share the panels of Susan's amazing cape, which wrapped up in an article of clothing much of what I loved about the character.

Yes. Giant Days is a print-only mostly comic/twice-yearly graphic novel series now. Good news is you can usually find it in any comic book store, or on Amazon.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Part 1 of the self-published run (fighting the popular girls) is included in the latest anthology, Not on the Test Edition, which also covers chapters 1-8. The Christmas special also had an alternate reality take on that same story, with more McGraw.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The original 3 issues are $0.99/ea at Comixology under "Giant Days: Year One"
https://www.comixology.com/Giant-Days-Year-One/comics-series/12162

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is Lottie's use of NON-U in the last strip the traditional upper class/lower class designation, or does it mean something else in this wild new memetic universe I'm not aware of?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Is Lottie's use of NON-U in the last strip the traditional upper class/lower class designation, or does it mean something else in this wild new memetic universe I'm not aware of?

Basically yes, although it might suggest the mystery girls have fallen under the spell of the Mitford sisters.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I thought it referred to film classification. U is Universal, ie all ages.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
first poppy of the new format

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
words poppy

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable