Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can't picture Young Chicadillo as anything but Chicadillo's Daughter in every possible way.

E: Semi-related, I always mentally think of it as Chick-a-dee-o rather than Chick-a-dill-o, is this correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mors Rattus posted:

I can't picture Young Chicadillo as anything but Chicadillo's Daughter in every possible way.

E: Semi-related, I always mentally think of it as Chick-a-dee-o rather than Chick-a-dill-o, is this correct

No, because it's Chicadino.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can't count and never learned to read

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

It's working well so far.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

:negative: I just can't get into the writing style.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
On one hand I do miss the pictures, but on the other I like how we got through the entire Chicadino backstory in one update instead of like seven. Each update should move the story a lot further each time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pr-whoa-se Poppy.

There was no less tortured a way to write that, I'm so sorry.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 13, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh jeez Tim is either taking the worst way out or the best way out in SGR, the situation's so messed up I can't even tell anymore.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Scaramouche posted:

Oh jeez Tim is either taking the worst way out or the best way out in SGR, the situation's so messed up I can't even tell anymore.

it's Tim, worst way

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nuebot posted:

:negative: I just can't get into the writing style.
Same. Still wish Morbi best of luck though with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I mean we saw how it'll end up already. Both still in Tackleford with Tim glumly doing her gardening.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

so, honest question:

is it kinda cool someone is doing something different, and the thing still persists? I get that like, change equals loss, and it's natural to lament that loss... but I know a lot of people in this thread posted "woah poppy" a lot... is this a new manifestation of "woah poppy"? I think maybe a transformation may be more exciting than a loss... I hope my weird words make some sense!

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. Thanks!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

key party favors posted:

so, honest question:

is it kinda cool someone is doing something different, and the thing still persists? I get that like, change equals loss, and it's natural to lament that loss... but I know a lot of people in this thread posted "woah poppy" a lot... is this a new manifestation of "woah poppy"? I think maybe a transformation may be more exciting than a loss... I hope my weird words make some sense!

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. Thanks!

the little short story episodes (the new one and the winter one) delivered as much exposition as it'd take multiple chapters of the comic to do less clearly, but Morbi hasn't really demonstrated that they're very effective at conveying action or the kind of visual gags the comic rested on so far so I guess it depends what you read it for in the first place

like, you get much more verbose internal monologues from the characters but otoh the winter story has a bunch of paragraphs like this:

quote:

The sky was growing dark, and on the rim of the cliffs surrounding the Ovis Tree, Bow could see a huge wave of wind and snow flowing down the side like water bursting from a dam. There was always something that felt unnatural about Winter to him, as strange as it felt to describe an annual environmental phenomenon as such.

just to do this:

p.s. Bone is a webcomic now

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 13, 2017

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

key party favors posted:

I get that like, change equals loss, and it's natural to lament that loss...

It's often much harder on the artist than the reader. However...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Morbi is a great storyteller, excellent with characters and worldbuilding and comedy.

They are, however, a very mediocre writer. (That, or they just throw up the first draft of whatever they write, which would be rather like posting a comic update that's just rough sketches.)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

feetnotes posted:

It's often much harder on the artist than the reader. However...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I know Morbi reads this thread, and I love Poppy in general, but oh God, Morbi, please tell me this was a first draft and you just got lazy or frustrated on proofreading this page and just threw it out there early. This is supposed to be your big step forward, your first impression to prove to everyone that this new format is going to work just as well as the old one. And yet...

There's large-scale problems (the tone the writing tries to take doesn't really match well with the content of the second half, and not in a 'contrast to make things more uncomfortable' way), but there's small problems, too. So many lines, especially dialogue, are broken up in weird ways, ways that would be super easy to fix.

quote:

"Fine. I'll. Tell you. You won't. Like it." she relented.

quote:

"Fine." She relented, "I'll. Tell You. You won't. Like it.".

There's little things like that all throughout the text, including in the very last line.

I could keep going on, for a while, but I just feel like one of two things happened. Either Morbi's got a lot more to learn about writing than they think, or they need to work harder on making sure to proofread before they post. This is the first page of the new format. It's supposed to be Morbi putting their best foot forward to prove to all of us to stick with it, that the good will still be coming. And I feel like I'm reading a mediocre YA novel.

You've got better in you than this, Morbi. Kill your ego, kill your darlings, and show us what you can really do.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
That's a completely fair opinion because I do still have a lot to learn about writing, and I went in knowing the prose in the first several updates were going to be rough no matter how many redrafts I gave them, in the same way that the first chapter of Poppy as a comic was very rough despite it being my tenth(!) draft.

I think there's only so much you can do without learning from loving up and building experience, but that's why I do want to take the feedback I get now very seriously. I'll try to pay closer attention to making lines flow more naturally in future pages.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:toot:

I'm totally still on board, you've shown you've got a hell of a lot of talent in general. Guess there's just some growing pains in transferring mediums.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Scaramouche posted:

It's not Tim if he doesn't blow things up.

And reading today's update, is it just me or does it seem like Tim's placing all the blame on Shelley?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
He is 100% assigning her the majority of the blame and acting like he was just innocently suckered in. He's not wrong about Shelley's particular flaws, but he's actively avoiding any kind of real introspection here. He always had a choice in the matter, and what he chose was to cheat on his wife.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Tim sucks and is irresponsible and careless, but Riley did banish him from their marriage, their house and the country. And told Ryan not to let him stay in their house, forcing him to isolation in the woods where Shelley scooped him up.

I actually don't know if I'm supposed to have sympathy for any of the characters at this point. Except the mystery boys, who no longer exist.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

feetnotes posted:

Tim sucks and is irresponsible and careless, but Riley did banish him from their marriage, their house and the country. And told Ryan not to let him stay in their house, forcing him to isolation in the woods where Shelley scooped him up.

I actually don't know if I'm supposed to have sympathy for any of the characters at this point. Except the mystery boys, who no longer exist.

Ryan and Amy are still ok.

edit: Well except for the part where Riley forbade Ryan to give Tim shelter and he listened, I guess. I don't remember that but I have never reread SGR/BM.
edit2: Oh, it's right there. I'm not sure if she specifically forbade it or if Ryan has a frankly appropriate level of fear for his sister but it's still pretty bad.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 14, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Lord of Hats posted:

He is 100% assigning her the majority of the blame and acting like he was just innocently suckered in. He's not wrong about Shelley's particular flaws, but he's actively avoiding any kind of real introspection here. He always had a choice in the matter, and what he chose was to cheat on his wife.

Yeah, Tim's being a scumbag here and I hope Shelley calls him out for not taking some of the blame later on. For all of Shelley's flaws, she deserves someone better. Didn't she had a boyfriend who thought the world of her before? I remember the guy because of how all of Shelley's friends were terrible snobs towards him.

feetnotes posted:

To add to that, he got banished because he took the blame for Scout messing with his invention. It's kind of...amazing that the one time he actually took responsibility for something, it all spiraled down into this mess.

feetnotes posted:

Sonny is a saint and I love him, but I will forever feel sorry for Linton. Poor guy's been reduced to "lol i'm so horny" jokes in the last few cases. And I have wonder if this is John Allison's plan all along. Make all the characters terrible and toxic that he won't be tempted to go back to this setting ever again. :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

amigolupus posted:

Sonny is a saint and I love him, but I will forever feel sorry for Linton. Poor guy's been reduced to "lol i'm so horny" jokes in the last few cases. And I have wonder if this is John Allison's plan all along. Make all the characters terrible and toxic that he won't be tempted to go back to this setting ever again. :v:

Worked for Rich and Holly

Oh wai

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
John Allison's willingness to turn characters lovely is his genius and his curse.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well I get the sentiment of not wanting to continue onward with this thing if there's no sign that it's really going to be a long-term relationship, but that doesn't make it any better that he's burning his bridges while he's still on them.

I also get the sentiment of wanting something more fulfilling than being a rich woman's toy, but considering how literally everything Tim ever does is cursed, it might be his best option.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

amigolupus posted:

To add to that, he got banished because he took the blame for Scout messing with his invention. It's kind of...amazing that the one time he actually took responsibility for something, it all spiraled down into this mess.

I'm not quite convinced it's as altruistic as that. Someone on the facebook thread posted--and I'm inclined to agree--that he kind of wanted to be out of that entire situation, and took the opportunity to leave without needing to explain anything. He kind of declared "If Riley knew that Scout did a dumb thing as a 6-year-old, it would forever darken their relationship and that would be bad for Scout", and instead left to live in the forest inventing stuff (eventually destroying said forest)/shacking up with gorgeous rich ladyfriend-with-benefits, without really making an effort to go back. He's just been avoiding making any real decisions.

When Riley separated him from his previous life (which is pretty drat inexcusable, don't get me wrong, Riley is absolutely at fault for that), he went along with it because that was easier than confronting her about it, and this is kind of more of the same.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

amigolupus posted:

this isn't exactly an injustice just because he left the, what, ten-year-old alone with an unstable super science machine instead of like a stack of pipe bombs. He is the one who deserves the blame, and trying to hide behind Scout wouldn't have really lead to a different outcome it would've just been disgusting on his part.

there's kind of a disjoint since the comic tends to vacillate wildly from consequence-free cartoon violence to "blowing up your house is actually bad and abnormal and has serious consequences that don't just go away in the next episode", but this whole mess is clearly working with the non-cartoon logic where fond memories from youth (of taking the fall for him) or not you'd have to have a brain tumor to let Tim anywhere near your family

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 14, 2017

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

While I won't defend any of these people generally, I can't blame Tim for seeing everything in the worst possible, most defensive light right now, because he just got beat up and is clearly still shaken. There's no reason he'd be at his best right now, and he should probably not make any long term decisions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

amigolupus posted:

You say that but we're talking about a comic that has gone back to the cast of Bobbins instead of being about its nominal main characters.

Again.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm not quite convinced it's as altruistic as that. Someone on the facebook thread posted--and I'm inclined to agree--that he kind of wanted to be out of that entire situation, and took the opportunity to leave without needing to explain anything. He kind of declared "If Riley knew that Scout did a dumb thing as a 6-year-old, it would forever darken their relationship and that would be bad for Scout", and instead left to live in the forest inventing stuff (eventually destroying said forest)/shacking up with gorgeous rich ladyfriend-with-benefits, without really making an effort to go back. He's just been avoiding making any real decisions.

When Riley separated him from his previous life (which is pretty drat inexcusable, don't get me wrong, Riley is absolutely at fault for that), he went along with it because that was easier than confronting her about it, and this is kind of more of the same.

That's the first time I've heard that theory, but that does make a lot more sense. The bit where Tim tried to "help" Eustace with his life also fits with this idea.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this isn't exactly an injustice just because he left the, what, ten-year-old alone with an unstable super science machine instead of like a stack of pipe bombs. He is the one who deserves the blame, and trying to hide behind Scout wouldn't have really lead to a different outcome it would've just been disgusting on his part.

I thought the machine wouldn't blow up if it had been left alone (though it would've eventually), but then I realized I was giving Tim's inventions too much credit. :v:

Scaramouche posted:

Worked for Rich and Holly

Oh wai

In Rich's case, it worked perfectly well.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

amigolupus posted:

I thought the machine wouldn't blow up if it had been left alone (though it would've eventually), but then I realized I was giving Tim's inventions too much credit. :v:

either way really, if all it takes to make something blow your drat house up is poking it with a screwdriver and you leave a child unattended with it it's kinda on you when the inevitable happens

I remember being older than Scout is in that strip when I watched half my class take turns while the teacher was out shoving a fork in the electrical socket.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 14, 2017

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Wait, rereading THAT storyline, it turns out that Riley already served Tim divorce papers a long time ago. And also that Shelley confessed her love for him, which means it wasn't supposed to just be a casual friends-with-benefits thing at all. I remain confused.

Well, we knew this breakup was coming. And we also know Tim will still be hanging around doing yardwork in several months' time, when Shelley is bigger. He doesn't have a white streak in his hair yet, so something's going to happen there. And this stuff happens before the last Bad Machinery case, but by the end of it Shelley is still pregnant and now maybe living with Erin, who came back from Hell and then Tackleford Limbo.

I'm guessing the "end" will be when this drat baby finally gets born. And if he gets the urge to bring the old characters back again, I hope we get the gritty Linton reboot where he's become a private detective, using his old mystery-solving skills, is at odds with his by-the-book cop dad and new protege Robert Cop, and has frequent dame trouble.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it's one of those things where every story becomes a tragedy after going on for long enough. Happy couples being cutesy with eachother isn't the John Allison style.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my webcomic

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone needs Halloween costume ideas for this year, Prequel will have been dead with a hollow fascimile of life for two years exactly this coming October 31st.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I check prequel every so often when the Facebook fanpage posts some fanart of it or someone mentions it here.

The latest post on prequel from two years ago currently has 40,000 disqus comments and is still going strong with people patiently waiting for the update, defending the author for the hiatus, and arguing about whether it's still fine to be making flash animations in 2017.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Prequel is what happens when you let a community fetishize suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Which will come first, the big update or the last major browser removing Flash forever.

Edit: In fact, isn't there like three years left on that happening?

• Locked thread