Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TheNabster posted:

2. Build a soldier in Babylon

Just to double check, you can potentially build two units at once in Babylon if you'd like. (It's up to the city size - I'm just saying it again in case people missed it the first time.)

Is your action 3 the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Oh right, I'll build two soldiers then.

And yes it is.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Don't forget to nominate what techs you'd like for Status Phase, everyone!

Turn 3-3-3: It is Persia's turn.

Red - berenzen - India (Sri Gupta) - Great Pyramids reserved
Blue - TheNabster - Babylonia (Hammurabi)
Yellow - Christo - Persia (Xerxes)
Green - paradoxGentleman - Rome (Julius Caesar)
Reference Post | Zoomed-in Tech Board | Condensed Rules

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'll grab priesthood

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I'll pick up Bartering

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Can I choose Iron Weapons and avoid paying Ore?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sadly not! Iron Weapons' additional cost is special in that respect. Metallurgy is the only thing that can cancel it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I figured as much; in that case I'll take Free Education.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

I figured as much; in that case I'll take Free Education.

You have a turn prior to Status Phase, bear in mind!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh!
Then why do we have to nominate the tech now?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh!
Then why do we have to nominate the tech now?

You don't, really - you could do it after your turn if you liked, i.e. 'I do this and this and this and then I'd like X as my free'. It just saves me time to remind people ahead of time, because then I can do the Status Phase in one fell swoop.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've given Christo another message - if I don't get a reply in a day I will auto his turn for him based on his Objective cards. I will see a game of this finished, drat it!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Christo appears to have blipped off the forums for a while, so I have prepared a stand-in.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
It's time to make Persia great again.

Give me 2 gold. I'm a great businessman. I'm worth more than you could even imagine.

1. Research tactics. I will surround myself with the best foreign advisors in the world, these people really know their stuff.
2. Move settler from Susa to G7
Move army and elephant from susa into the encampment. The barbarian people love me, and they're great people. But some of them are murderers and rapists coming into Persia and we have to send them home.
Move Xerxes to I7
3. Build a Fortress in Persepolis. Do you know what's complicated? What's complicated is building a fortress that's 9 stories tall.

Get sanitation. These are the hugest, most luxurious cities anyone could live in.

e: Apparently I should already have tactics instead of writing. Stelas works really hard but just doesn't have it — a total loser! I'll take Draft instead.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 18, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 3-3-3: It is Persia's turn.

Persia gets a gold from Banking and another from Trade Routes. I'm assuming Food to research Draft, and Persia also picks up Immortals.

Persia's army assaults a Barbarian camp!
Persia's Attack: 1 Army + 1 Elephant = 6 1 = 1 hit, 1 enemy hit cancelled.
Barbarian's Defence: 1 Army = 1 = 0 hits.

Persia are victorious, without any losses! For defeating 1 Barbarian within a Camp, Persia gets 1 Gold and may keep or raze the camp. I assume Persia's leaving it what with the Leader moving to it.

Turn 3-3-4: It is Rome's turn.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 18, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Istvun posted:

e: Apparently I should already have tactics instead of writing. Stelas works really hard but just doesn't have it — a total loser! I'll take Draft instead.

Oh, poo poo, good catch. I'll fix that, and handle the slight move change as well. One sec...

e: The above post should be fixed.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 18, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

-Develop Free Education, thus gaining one Mood token
-Develop Storage, thus gaining two more Mood Tokens (one for a Mood Advance, one for Free Education)
-Spend said Mood Tokens via Slave Economy to build a Fortress in the new city, which shall be dubbed Ravenna

This of course changes my plans for the Status phase: I'd like to develop Husbandry when the time comes, please.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rome develops Free Education, earning an event!

Trojan Horse posted:

Put this card on the table. Upon attacking a player city, the attacking player may pay 1 Culture and 1 Wood to prevent the defender from playing any Combat cards the first combat round. This card is then kept by the player and is worth 1 VP.

Barbarians attack!

The barbarian camp at F10 or the camp at G11 attack a city within 2 spaces!

Gotta be wary of when you pop events! Which barbarian camp attacks, and which city they hit, are up to Rome. Both camps will attack with 2d6, but the G11 camp has an Elephant, whose dice will be nulled on a roll of 1 or 2. On the other hand, that camp is forced to attack the size 3 city, which might be unacceptable losses if it destroys a part! Unfortunately, neither of the available cities (Mediolanum or Ravenna) have any troops for a counterattack.

Rome has two actions, and must resolve the barbarian attack.

On Table - Trojan Horse (When attacking, pay 1 Culture + 1 Wood to prevent opponent playing Combat cards first round. Worth 1 VP.)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wait, couldn't I have the D6 camp attack Ravenna? It only has a single soldier, it should give me the best chance of survival right?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sadly not - the rules have the specifics on page 13, but the gist of it is:

- Of all the camps within 2 spaces of your cities, find the one with the most Barbarians.
- It attacks the closest city it can.

Any ties are resolved by the current player.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Well, I tempted fate by not investing in military and now I gotta pay the price. Have the camp with no elephants attack Ravenna, and may Jove protect them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Barbarians attack Ravenna!
Barbarian Attack: 2 Armies = 2d6 = 3 1 = 4! 0 hits! Jove sure is protecting them, apparently!

As nothing has changed, I'll proceed on with the turn as written.

Round 3 Status Phase is incoming...

On Table - Trojan Horse (When attacking, pay 1 Culture + 1 Wood to prevent opponent playing Combat cards first round. Worth 1 VP.)

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Xerxes, you haven't proven yourself able to lead a bake sale, never mind an empire. Your ability to build is laughable and the support you've earned from your fellow Persians is pathetic.

Xerxes, you're fired.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Gonna Fire Sri Gupta as well.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Caesar, you have served your people well in this time of peace, but we are going to need another leader if we are to work our way past these troubling times. Your rule will be remembered in glory, but it is time to step down from the throne.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Round 3 Status Phase

No-one reveals any objectives.

Pliny's Guide to the Most Powerful Civilizations, Volume III posted:

Rome: 8 Cities + 8 Advances + 0 Objectives + 0 Wonders + 0 Events = 16
Babylonia: 7 Cities + 8 Advances + 0 Objectives + 0 Wonders + 0 Events = 15
India: 5 Cities + 10 Advances + 0 Objectives + 0 Wonders + 0 Events = 15
Persia: 5 Cities + 7 Advances + 2 Objectives + 0 Wonders + 0 Events = 14

Everyone gets a free Tech:
India picks up Priesthood and I've never figured out how that promotes Science.
Babylonia picks up Bartering and pops an Event:

Great Philosopher posted:

Put this card on the table. The first player to pay 1 Culture may, as an action, both: a) Gain a free Education advance, b) Get 2 Ideas.

Barbarians appear!
Persia takes Sanitation and pops an Event:

Great Architect posted:

Put this card on the table. The first player to pay 1 Culture may, as an action, both: a) Reveal all Wonders, b) get any one Advance listed as a requirement on an available Wonder card at no Food cost.

Pirates attack!
2 Cities are in range of Pirates - Persia must lose 2 Resources.
Rome takes Husbandry and pops an Event:

A Good Year posted:

All players gain 2 Food.

Exhaust a space.

All players receive 1 Action and 1 Objective card.
All players may raze a size 1 city for 1 gold if they wish.
All players may discard and draw a new Leader if they wish.
Persia fires Xerxes, replacing him with Darius!
In India, Sri Gupta's dynasty ends, and Ashoka the Great rises!
Ceasar is stabbed in the back! Et tu, Augustus?!

Finally, Babylonia is now the first player with 11 total Culture and Mood.

Turn 4-1-1: It is Babylonia's turn!

Action Queue
- Babylonia: Place a camp + army within 2 spaces of one of your cities, and a barbarian unit in any camp.
- Persia: Lose 2 Resources.
- Rome: Exhaust a space adjacent to one of your cities.
- All: You may raze a size 1 city.
- Babylonia: You may replace your Leader if desired.
- Persia, India, Rome: Choose a city to place your new Leader in.
- Babylonia: Take your actions.

On Table - Great Philosopher (Pay 1 Culture as an action: gain Education advance + 2 Ideas.)
On Table - Great Architect (Pay 1 Culture as an action: Reveal all Wonders, gain one Advance that is a prereq.)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 19, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Put Ashoka in New Dehli

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Put Augustus in Ravenna, exhaust the mountain northwest of Londinium.
Also, could I get a reminder of what I have built in which city?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Also, could I get a reminder of what I have built in which city?

Compare against blue's tile shapes up in the top-left - I included names on those as a key.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Aww gently caress it made a cock end of my plan, and I didn't notice it until today. Oh well

1) I would like to replace my leader, and I want to see which one I get first before I place it.

2) Place a camp on 9E, and an Army on D6

ACTUAL ACTIONS

1) Learn Advance Steel Weapons for nothing. Thank you going full Science you were good for something.
2) Build 1 Soldier and 1 Cavalry in Akkad.
3) Spend one Culture and grab that Great Philosopher and use it's first power to gain Public Education

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm waiting 'til everyone checks in on the Action Queue before I continue - in the meantime, your new leader is Nebuchadnezzar II.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I have another question: to get access to Provinces, do I need to simply develop Draft or do I need one of the Autocratic discoveries?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll lose two ore to the pirates. and Darius will start in Persepolis.

I'll gain 2 gold. I'm great at making deals, I really am.

0. Use Darius to build a market in Persepolis (food ore gold). I am the greatest jobs leader that Persia has ever seen.
1. Pop Great Architect for Siegecraft, play Tech Synergy for Steel Weapons. I will build up our military until it's so powerful that nobody's going to play games with us.

Tech Synergy posted:

Play this card after getting an advance. Get another advance as a free action, though you must pay its cost and it must come from the same category.
2. Move G7 settler to F8
I5 settler to H4
I7 units to H8

3. Build an elephant in Susa, draft an army. I don't ever want to need to use our military, but nobody's going to mess with us.
3. Collect wood and ore from Susa

Istvun fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 19, 2015

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Stelas posted:

I'm waiting 'til everyone checks in on the Action Queue before I continue - in the meantime, your new leader is Nebuchadnezzar II.

I will put him in Dur-Kurigalzu for now

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, so looking at the rules again I could have moved a pirate after they raided me? Because I'm going to send one from J8 next to Babylon in that case.

I will stare down any number of pirates. They are no longer invited to my golf courses.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have another question: to get access to Provinces, do I need to simply develop Draft or do I need one of the Autocratic discoveries?

You need an Autocratic advance. If you ever leave Autocratic (you can switch Gov'ts on the fly) you also lose that advance until you go back into it.

Istvun posted:

Hey, so looking at the rules again I could have moved a pirate after they raided me? Because I'm going to send one from J8 next to Babylon in that case.

Whooops. Yep.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Note that I've fixed up some of the component counts that were a little wrong. Nothing major.

Turn 4-1-1: It is Babylonia's turn!

Babylonia buys two troops for a combined sum of 2 Food, 1 Ore, 1 Wood (paying Gold).

A Great Philosopher has been cultivated in Babylonia!

Turn 4-1-2: It is Persia's turn!

Persia gets one Gold from Banking and one from Trade Routes + Currency.

Darius is an Architect able to spend 2 Culture to increase a city size at no cost.

Speaking of which, a Great Architect has been cultivated in Persia! All Wonders have been revealed! (See the reference post at the top of the thread for details.)
Persia plays Tech Synergy, and 1 Food 3 Gold for its cost (usually 2 Food, 2 Ore.)

Turn 4-1-3: It is Rome's turn!

Blue - TheNabster - Babylonia (Nebuchadnezzar II)
Yellow - Christo - Persia (Darius)
Green - paradoxGentleman - Rome (Emperor Augustus)
Red - berenzen - India (Ashoka the Great) - Great Pyramids reserved

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Develop Draft using Ideas (this nets me 1 Mood thanks to Free Education)
Activate Mediolanum and Harvest 1 wood, 1 ore and 1 food (this nets me 1 idea thanks to Public Education)
Activate Ravenna and create 4 soldiers (one of which paid for with 1 Mood)
Thanks to Imperial Roads, immediately attack the Barbarians North of Ravenna with the whole army sustained by Augustus.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Buy Draft with 1 mood.

Cultural Influence from New Delhi with Cultural Awe on G11, pay 2 culture to increase the value of the roll by 2. (need a 2 to win). If it fails, reroll.

If it succeeds, take the elephant. Call the city Chennai

Buy a soldier in Chennai with 2 food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Activate Ravenna and create 4 soldiers (one of which paid for with 1 Mood)

You can only build (size+happy) troops in a turn, unless I'm missing some ability you have (this is possible - I'm not on my main computer at the moment.

berenzen posted:

Cultural Influence from New Delhi with Cultural Awe on G11, pay 2 culture to increase the value of the roll by 2. (need a 2 to win). If it fails, reroll.

Adding to a die roll can be done after the roll is made, as a note. In future I'll just treat this as a 'maximum spend', though, so it's still useful.

• Locked thread