Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sucrose posted:

How is it even legal to imprison a suspect for hours without booking them?

They were never technically imprisoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

My Imaginary GF posted:

They were never technically imprisoned.

I believe "kidnapping" is the term.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Who are you going to trust? The log book written by cops or the word of some street scum?

And since there's no police evidence your client was there, you have no right to even take pictures of the outside of the building your client is lying about being held in!

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Why haven't the feds shut this goddamn place down?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sucrose posted:

I too wonder why the former Senator from Illinois hasn't cracked down on the Chicago Police Department.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sucrose posted:

Who the gently caress do you think pays the rent?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trabisnikof posted:

I too wonder why the former Senator from Illinois hasn't cracked down on his former Chief of Staff.
FTFY.

Chicago is a cesspit, but it's a Democrat cesspit by God! The justice department won't be doing fuckall about it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

FTFY.

Chicago is a cesspit, but it's a Democrat cesspit by God! The justice department won't be doing fuckall about it.

Except when it comes to protecting the new boss. Then, rather than taking down the men who did the crime, the new boss goes for optics and the unpopular proto-Trump governor.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
It is pretty crazy that New York and Chicago have not been subject (and correct me if I'm wrong, I might be) to broad consent decrees on policing as have so many other cities. It's less surprising for New York since their embrace of oppressive policing coincided with a precipitous drop in crime, but now they're in the Feds' sights again, unlike Chicago. (The CPD did have a consent decree to stop their police state anti-commie tactics but as far as I know none related to torture, etc.)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Consent decrees don't do you a lot of good when they show up to your apartment in the middle of the night. I think NYC did have a Federal injunction over stop-and-frisk, but as best I can tell they just stopped calling it that. New York, in particular has a great deal of leeway from the Federal Government because of terrorism concerns. There are even whole neighborhoods with roadblocks and vehicle inspections to enter.

It's also worth pointing out that New York's aggressive policing coincided with a drop in crime nationwide.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KernelSlanders posted:

It's also worth pointing out that New York's aggressive policing coincided with a drop in crime nationwide.

That's ceased in some cities like Baltimore, while continuing in others.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's ceased in some cities like Baltimore, while continuing in others.

Which is why the Baltimore murder rate per 100k residents in 2013 was 233 vs 256 in 2001. Also robberies were 3734 vs. 5747, assaults 4460 vs 8500, and arsons 277 vs 426.

(Source)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

KernelSlanders posted:

Which is why the Baltimore murder rate per 100k residents in 2013 was 233 vs 256 in 2001. Also robberies were 3734 vs. 5747, assaults 4460 vs 8500, and arsons 277 vs 426.

(Source)
Those are raw counts. It was 38.7 murders per hundred thousand in 2001, as compared to 37.4 in 2013, which is not statistically distinguishable given the numbers involved.

Rapes are slightly up, but robberies, assaults, and property crimes are significantly down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Na Baltimore is under siege.

• Locked thread