Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bombhand posted:

I like to braise ahead of time because it makes it super easy to defat. It floats to the top and solidifies in the fridge, easily scooped off before reheating.

Edit: Also, I like to put a scoop of marmite or vegemite into my braising liquid, depending on what else I'm putting in there.

Is mar/vege-mite what normal people would call something like Better Than Bullion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

Someone had to be hella drunk to think that the leftover mash from making beer was a good thing to eat.

'stralia, mate.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mcswizzle posted:

Does anyone know of something I can do with white wine? My wife isn't a big fan of red wine generally, with few exceptions. She's got a lot more love for white wines (she likes Rieslings generally if that helps).

Reislings are pretty good. drat. My grandpa used to drink sweet rieslings like another person would drink soda. We...didn't let him drive.

You can braise beef and maybe lamb with a white wine, even a sweet one; no big deal. The flavor's different at the end than had you done a red wine, but still. Chicken or fish are the go to with a white.

You can poach or braise pears for dessert. Really good. Add soem whipped cream with cardamom and stuff and it's even better. Reduce the leftover braising liquid and use as a syrup.

You can make a pretty dope chicken with garlic.

Try adding a little to some tomato-based sauce. It brings out very nicely some new flavors. Or an onion mushroom sauce. or even in a risotto.

And so on. You cook with red because you are looking to enhance a certain flavor set. Cook with white for the same reason. Sweet wines are interesting in tea, instead of honey or sugar.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 16, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What are you catstaring about? He said 4 pounds is enough for six servings. That's not unreasonable for delicious lamb.

• Locked thread