Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

sellouts posted:

Can you go into this a bit further? Do you ever serve $40 bottles of wine (or more?)

I just don't see the logic when even Keller isn't specifying Opus One for his nonsense.

I mean, he's not saying buy abacus or anything. He is saying don't buy that 7$ chianti. I cook almost exclusively with cotes du rhone, and you can get decent bottles of that in the 15-18 range. A ~20$ bottle from the right region can easily fit into a budget and be used to cook with.

Now its just a matter of time before happy hat comes in and says he uses caymus special select as the base for all his red sauces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Cavenagh posted:

The only things that really matter for wine you cook with is the sweetness and the acidity. A box is fine. So's cheap wine.

nope. It all depends on what you want out of your sauce. If you are looking for something sweeter, then yeah, those are A++ good options. A 12$ bottle of shiraz or cotes du rhone will help you add layers to the sauce. I agree that you don't need to go past 20$. But to say that a box wine will enhance what your doing in the same way a decent bottle will, is wrong.

Acidity can also be tied to the age of the wine, so you can pick something that is meant to be tabled quickly. Like the bottles I mentioned.

• Locked thread