Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://www.bourassavineyards.com/?m...sed-Lamb-Shanks

This recipe is pretty loving outstanding and pretty easy to make. You can use pretty much any Syrah (I'm actually a fan of using a nice jammy zin but that's just because it is what I had on hand the first time I made it and I've just kept going with it ever since). The pomegranate molasses is a bit of a specialty ingredient, but is easy to find at any Middle Eastern grocery store (someplace like whole foods might have it as well). You can swap out the pomegranate juice for a nice tart cranberry juice or (my personal favorite) sour cherry juice (available at Trader Joe's and most other decent-level grocery stores).

Serve it over some good couscous with scallions and raisins/craisins.

The actual recipe on the website is hilariously poorly written, so ignore it. Just combine all the ingredients for the marinade together and then use that to marinate the lamb shanks overnight.

Then combine all the ingredients for the braise, except the wine. Brown the lamb shanks, then deglaze the pan with the wine. Put the lamb shanks into the braise and combine with the wine used for deglazing. Braise the lamb for 3+ hours and it will be delicious. Just fall off the bone tender and really really delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I forget what it was called, but it was basically "lamb you can cut with a spoon" in french. I don't remember all the details, but it was basically slow braising a leg of lamb in chardonnay with lemon (I used lime -- for a latin flavor) juice with a bunch of fairly basic spices (I remember oregano and rosemary). It was solid, not exceptional. Made some crazy good gyros though, mix that poo poo up with some tzatiki and it was all good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/4-hour-lamb-recipe.html

It may have been that recipe or something similar. It wasn't really that great but, you know, it works. It's been something like 6 years, I remember it because my then-girlfriend was out of town for a week so I spent all week doing nothing but eating that leg of lamb. It was delicious because it was all the lamb. But just use tart cherry juice instead of wine. Boom, done.

Riesling isn't a good cooking wine, in my experience. I love a good tart Riesling, the sweet ones don't do it for me but the tart ones remind me of omphacomels I'd brew and are just wonderful. My grandfather used to drink dry rieslings every day and he was a great guy with great taste.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Leg of lamb is cheap as long as you buy in bulk and don't mind eating leftovers. My wife hates leftovers for some reason (very frustrating) so that's out for me but it is a good way to go if that is an option for you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Mint+lamb and duck+tart cherry both really skirt the sweet spot between the teleological and ontological arguments for God. If missionaries brought dishes capitalizing that along with them, I'd be much more open to their . . . whatever you call it.

• Locked thread