Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

:roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

And now is the time we sing along at home. "Oh, Canada, our home and native land..."

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Tighclops posted:

The only person to kick any serious rear end in this debate is the only one that hasn't a shot in hell at winning any real power, ever. Also she is usually nuts too

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no meaningful positive political change will come from within the existing system

:(

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Catch you guys in the morning, I'm going to either dream about Sexy Justin or have nightmares of Terminator Harper

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Does every country call itself the greatest in the world, or is it just the US and the US-wannabes we have to politicians in Canada?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Night all!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

good night bun bun

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
missed the whole drat thing. Sounds like Mulcair was pretty quiet the whole time, were there any overt attacks on him/ndp policy?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

JawKnee posted:

missed the whole drat thing. Sounds like Mulcair was pretty quiet the whole time, were there any overt attacks on him/ndp policy?

Oh, plenty from the other leaders, but he's been quiet. Unusually so.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, trudeau and may both went after the ndp on a couple of occasions.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just saw this.... hahaha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh good, they fixed it. the first one wasn't spell checked:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Lars Blitzer posted:

And now is the time we sing along at home. "Oh, Canada, our home and native land..."

I misread "native" there as "naïve" and wondered why that seemed so appropriate right now.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Can you elaborate on what the winning side is?

Sorry for the ultra late reply but I had to dash out mid-debate.

I'm under the impression that the NDP's policy on the clairity act is more popular in Quebec, than others. (which is why they have the most amount of seats)

I live in BC tho and get basically no Quebec news so I'd be happy to have a Quebecer tell me how it really is.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Femtosecond posted:

I'm under the impression that the NDP's policy on the clairity act is more popular in Quebec, than others. (which is why they have the most amount of seats)

Trudeau tried to attack Mulcair for in the past having mentioned a 50%+1 vote for Quebec separation.

Mulcair responded with "Fine, what is the number for you?" trying to get Trudeau to take a stance on the issue. Trudeau tried over and over to get out of it, which lead to Mulcair asking him "So what is YOUR number?" over and over as Trudeau pretends it wasn't happening.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Watched the replay of the debate after I finally got home. I dunno I kinda liked Trudeau's closing statements. Certainly better than Mulcair's mangled ones.

Honestly given his great performance in Question Period I was expecting a lot more from Mulcair.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Femtosecond posted:

Sorry for the ultra late reply but I had to dash out mid-debate.

I live in BC tho and get basically no Quebec news so I'd be happy to have a Quebecer tell me how it really is.

I've never had non-politics people talk to me about the Clarity Act but the general idea of "fed won't intervene in Quebec's decisions" probably gets a positive response.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

less than three posted:

Trudeau tried to attack Mulcair for in the past having mentioned a 50%+1 vote for Quebec separation.

Mulcair responded with "Fine, what is the number for you?" trying to get Trudeau to take a stance on the issue. Trudeau tried over and over to get out of it, which lead to Mulcair asking him "So what is YOUR number?" over and over as Trudeau pretends it wasn't happening.

"What's my number? Nine. Nine Supreme Court Justices" was a pretty killer response, I thought.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
He started off saying it really weak and whiny, when he said 9, and then he managed to turn it around to be a decent comeback. The whole subject is loving retarded though

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

"What's my number? Nine. Nine Supreme Court Justices" was a pretty killer response, I thought.

Really? Mulcair's question is pretty on point. Trudeau went out of his way to criticize the 50+1 standard, so a very reasonable response is: "Okay, you brought up the subject. What is a reasonable threshold of support for full sovereignty?" Coming back with, "Well, I'll leave that to the Supreme Court" is a pretty weak dodge.

Besides, Mulcair made a good positive point later in the debate. If you don't have a clear dividing line between a successful and unsuccessful referendum on sovereignty, you risk encouraging Yes votes as a kind of dissatisfaction vote. There needs to be a clear threshold, so people understand that if this thing passes (what does that mean if you leave the idea vague and punt it to the Supreme Court?), this is what will come of it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PhilippAchtel posted:

Really? Mulcair's question is pretty on point. Trudeau went out of his way to criticize the 50+1 standard, so a very reasonable response is: "Okay, you brought up the subject. What is a reasonable threshold of support for full sovereignty?" Coming back with, "Well, I'll leave that to the Supreme Court" is a pretty weak dodge.

Besides, Mulcair made a good positive point later in the debate. If you don't have a clear dividing line between a successful and unsuccessful referendum on sovereignty, you risk encouraging Yes votes as a kind of dissatisfaction vote. There needs to be a clear threshold, so people understand that if this thing passes (what does that mean if you leave the idea vague and punt it to the Supreme Court?), this is what will come of it.

I agree that was a good point, but it requires some reflection to understand instead of "you want quebec to separate?! "

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Yeah, one of Trudeau's few good moments in the debate I thought. Mulcair looked pretty dumb trying to heckle Trudeau on that file.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Helsing posted:

Yeah, one of Trudeau's few good moments in the debate I thought. Mulcair looked pretty dumb trying to heckle Trudeau on that file.

Contrast that with his closing remarks :psyduck: I don't get Trudeau.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Contrast that with his closing remarks :psyduck: I don't get Trudeau.

It could be that he's being carefully handled by party brass and is actually better off when they just let him be himself. I'm talking out of my rear end though.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Designated Driver's drinking game: chug when someone talks about poverty

I'm happy to say that I stayed almost perfectly sober last night -- I drank when EMay said that Orwell's fair elections act takes away the right to vote from the homeless.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
http://imgur.com/8THSx2S

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If someone can make this so that it cuts off the first part and is just a loop of Harper shaking his head in wonder... I would make it my av

But only if someone does all the leg work :colbert:

• Locked thread