Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started modding ADTRW seven and a half months ago at the age of 22, and after more than half a year of service, I've decided it's time for me to move on.

ADTRW has faced numerous challenges over the years, including how to continuously satisfy a 20, and ensure the forum has the human, technical, and financial resources to continue operating. But the biggest hurdle it's had to overcome is myself. As ADTRW's sole moderator, decision maker, and keeper of most of its institutional knowledge, I've come to represent an uncomfortably large single point of failure.

I've spent the past 8 months working behind the scenes to address these challenges, and to provide ADTRW with the foundation it needs to survive me by bolstering its finances, strengthening its infrastructure, and expanding and empowering its team of shitposters. And for the most part, I've succeeded. The forum isn't in danger of going under financially any time soon, and it's as fast and stable as ever thanks to continued development and recent shiposting upgrades. Team ADTRW is also at its largest, and while I've still been calling the shots, I've delegated many of my responsibilities to a handful of trusted volunteers, most of whom have served the site for years.

That foundation will now be put to the ultimate test, as today I'm retiring as ADTRW's moderator. From a user's perspective, nothing should change. A few senior volunteers—including ADTRW's lead effort poster, managing shitposting, and server white-noise posting—have stepped up to ensure a smooth transition over the coming weeks.

I'll need time away to decompress and reflect, but I look forward to one day returning to ADTRW as its Mod Emeritus or just another Goon, and also writing more about my experience running ADTRW on my personal blog. The journey has been marked by highs and lows, surprises and disappointments, but ultimately immense satisfaction. I'm humbled to have had the privilege of both lucking into and presiding over what is easily one of the greatest communities to ever grace the Web. It was truly an honor to serve as ADTRW's replacement moderator, and I look forward to seeing what the next decade holds for the site.

On to the next chapter,

–Beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what already

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For real though, it's been fun. I will stop being mod as of Monday and whatever Ralp and the admin team decide to do is up to them.

Thanks and remember to leave your hurtful mean comments below.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aw man :( Good luck with whatever

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

You've done a good job with these forums dude. Congrats on getting out before you inevitably go insane.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Godspeed, Beef.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oh man what if the next mod hates good owns

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

bring back zorak

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat, that was quick.

It was a pretty good 7 months though.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

well that's dumb

you were a good mod hope you didn't hate every minute of it

thanks for making the subforum fun

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

well, it was a good run

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A Chief no longer, the Beef returns to being but a Waifu. Good luck to the next mod.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

littleorv posted:

You've done a good job with these forums dude. Congrats on getting out before you inevitably go insane.

Yah the place really improved a lot this year, thanks to that new direction, and I hope whoever takes over keeps that momentum going.

Godspeed, Beef

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fwiw i don't really see you as an uncomfortably large single point of failure

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

fwiw i don't really see you as an uncomfortably large single point of failure

I guess that copy paste is about 7 months out of date, so I shouldn't have expected anyone to get it

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

just uncomfortably large

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Beef was a good mod and I'm sad he's dead

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Beef Chief posted:

I guess that copy paste is about 7 months out of date, so I shouldn't have expected anyone to get it

i thought it was a funny joke until the third post

then i was just like oh :sigh:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

Holy gently caress did Zorak write that huge post when he stopped being mod?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

No worries, I got it!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Beef Chief posted:

sorry i never actually paid attention to zoraks resignation

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i'm dying right now, lmao

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I got it.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Beef Chief posted:

i had to google it but now i remember

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm sure some of y'all have noticed how little I've been around as of late. Well... It was bound to happen sometime but: I'm anime'd out. I'm tired of anime. I've gone through "apathetic about anime" phases before and soldiered on, but lately I've been way too busy with my employment to give moderating much time at all regardless of my own anime-watching status. Which is really not fair to you all. So after probably too many years sticking around as moderator, I've hung up my hat and stepped down.

When I was first made moderator I was age-wise the youngest moderator by far (whoah what a surprise, anime mod as a literal child), and now I'm vacating it as someone who has been a moderator nearly the longest. Even ignoring the fact that I'm frankly kind of just tired of the whole thing at this point, ADTRW has probably been in need of new blood for some time. I feel this is overall a very positive thing for the forum, given how much of a relative dinosaur I am at this point.

For those of you that have worked with me over these years to make this forum a good place for sane anime discussion: Thank you. I've gotten a lot of support over the years, and I probably wouldn't have lasted this long if it hadn't been for your support. I know not all of you have agreed with my decisions or been my biggest fans, and I'm sure I've given punishments that were unjustified. I've been a crabby dolt, and I've acted too quickly or too slowly or in the wrong ways far too many times. I apologize for that. Thank you for putting up with me this long.

I'll continue to post and be around, so it's not like I'm vanishing. I'm sure the anime bug will eventually bite me again (when they finally make a new Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex???) where I'll be more inclined to keep up to date with ongoing stuff. It's happened before, it'll happen again.

As to who is replacing me, the admins are working on selecting my replacements, and have been working at it for some time now. The candidate list they're working on is fantastic, and I'm sure whoever they ultimately select will do an excellent job. So many of you are fantastic posters that contribute excellently, there is far from a lack of options. I don't think you will have to wait long in any case.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

poor forgotten lowtax

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Beef Chief posted:

VILE TROLL

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

Abandoning anime is death

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

a kitten posted:

I got it.

I had a feeling.
But wow, this soon? Best of luck, it was great having you as a mod as far I'm concerned. Maybe not so for other goons, but eh.

e: Aw dammit. Spoke too soon.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Noooo I miss u already

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Hopefully the next mod will be from the Beef Chief school of moderating.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least you wont have Dilbert PMing you anymore.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've still got these mod powers until monday and I'm gonna have some fun with it until then

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

I've still got these mod powers until monday and I'm gonna have some fun with it until then

Limiter RELEASED

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

for real, goodbye beef chief you always seemed like a chill, good mod

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Don't go. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oh god

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I knew it was too much of a coincidence that moot retired just as beef chief became the mod

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

A few senior volunteers—including ADTRW's lead effort poster, managing shitposting, and server white-noise posting—have stepped up to ensure a smooth transition over the coming weeks.

Can't wait for noted effort poster Lord Justice to exact revenge on the vile trolls of the Madoka thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Please rename ADTRW to Beef Chief Appreciation Station until Monday

• Locked thread