Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I understand that some people might dislike G-Reco, but comparing the animation to Gundoh is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is more like it,.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

boom boom boom posted:

Admitting you were confused by G-Reco is basically owning youself.

It wasn't confusing, it was just dumb and bad. As someone who absolutely loves Turn A It was really disappointing. It started out strong, I was super hooked like 5 episodes in but it devolved so quickly and just became the worst. There was a hefty amount of quality in it towards the end as well, though obviously the gundoh reference was just hyperbole. So much breaking of "show don't tell" through the middle part of the show, so much useless dialogue and silly machinations. It didn't help that it was a bit of a rehash of Turn A's storyline (kind of), but just a lot worse.

There are a lot of things to like about it individually, but when you put them all together it's just a pile of trash.

edit:
For instance I loved a lot of the mecha design, and I adore Kenichi Yoshida's character designs in practically everything he works on. I loved that it's the first show (to my knowledge, or that i've seen anyway) that had safety/pilot protections in the cockpits. I loved the animation and art style overall (inspite of the quality moments). I guess my overall complaint boils down to just plain bad storytelling/pacing. Overman king gainer also had terrible pacing and storytelling, and watching G-Reco just gave me a lot of flashbacks to it.

Sorry for the rambliness of this, I was kind of hashing this out from a internalized feeling of disgust towards G-Reco in this post.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 27, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tabletops posted:

It wasn't confusing, it was just dumb and bad. As someone who absolutely loves Turn A It was really disappointing. It started out strong, I was super hooked like 5 episodes in but it devolved so quickly and just became the worst. There was a hefty amount of quality in it towards the end as well, though obviously the gundoh reference was just hyperbole. So much breaking of "show don't tell" through the middle part of the show, so much useless dialogue and silly machinations. It didn't help that it was a bit of a rehash of Turn A's storyline (kind of), but just a lot worse.

There are a lot of things to like about it individually, but when you put them all together it's just a pile of trash.

You are literally the first person in human history, and possibly the last ever, to accuse Reconguista of breaking "show don't tell" and having too much dialogue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

You are literally the first person in human history, and possibly the last ever, to accuse Reconguista of breaking "show don't tell" and having too much dialogue.

To be fair, there is a shitload of stuff that happens offscreen and is only mentioned in passing, and some of it is quite important to the plot and characters.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

G-Reco is flawed by it's pacing imo but whether you can enjoy it or not, and whether you complain about it being confusing and badly written or praise it as really good, depends on whether you accept its narrative conceit that after centuries of world peace, and social engineering explicitly intended to further world peace, nobody understands how to conduct large scale war anymore.

And I like it a lot because its the first anime I've seen in ages that is actually trying to say something relevant, instead of "if people with cool powers existed it would be cool, but maybe the government wouldn't like it" or whatever.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I liked Reconguista, but it had a lot of "let's go over there!" "OK!" for no discernible reason other than that was what the plot required. I still don't really get why they went to the moon, or why, once there, they then went to Venus Globe.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Red Bones posted:

And I like it a lot because its the first anime I've seen in ages that is actually trying to say something relevant, instead of "if people with cool powers existed it would be cool, but maybe the government wouldn't like it" or whatever.

you should watch better anime

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shut up about Gundam!!!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Shut up about Gundam!!!

unless it's g-gundam

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Stairmaster posted:

unless it's g-gundam

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

I think G gundam is the only gundam that I ever got a little choked up about. Oh and the end of Turn A I guess. SOCHIIIII!!!!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I expected nothing but King Gainer from G reco and that was exactly what I got.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

A really funny, heartfelt show that went down easy and smoooooth.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That's the best recommendation for Bakemonogatari I've ever seen.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

:agreed:

hopefully it inspires some peeps to give it a shot if they haven't

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, that's clever.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Okay, that's clever.

idgi, please explain

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Parrotine posted:

idgi, please explain

Watch patema inverted

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Parrotine posted:

idgi, please explain

Okay, here goes. Super-ultra spoilers, obviously.
You should really just watch Patema Inverted, tho, if you don't mind good old two-dimensional cackling Disney villains.

Here we gooooo

Patema Inverted takes place in a world where humanity attempted some kind of gravity experiment on a grand scale, which went horribly wrong. Lots of people + matter had gravity "reversed", meaning they'd fall up in the sky and die. Hundreds of years later, the survivors who had gravity reversed live underground, and the normal ones live aboveground as usual in some kind of dystopian society. The girl (Patema) is an "inverted" from underground and meets a boy (forgot the name) from aboveground. Dystopian society ruler gets pissy, blablabla

During the entire movie, it looks like the aboveground dudes have normal gravity, since they have a sky and poo poo, no? Hence, you espect the boy to be the normal one.
BUT it's the other way around: turns out the gravity experiment also hosed up earth's surface really bad, so EVERYONE retreated underground. Those with reversed gravity basically lived in a gargantuan cave with an artificial sky + weather simulation and poo poo, think Truman Show style. The underground folks were once guardians of sorts that monitored the surface, but both factions lost that knowledge almost completely. So the movie poster was actually correct: Patema always had the "correct" gravity, and the dystopian society is actually the inverted one. What a twist! A stupid or great one?

I really don't care

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

What I got: Vertigo.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

That's the best recommendation for Bakemonogatari I've ever seen.

You're right, I was flying too close to the sun by putting Mushishi and Blackjack in there. It was not meant to be a recommendation, so much as an observation. In retrospect, I would put a big ol' Moonphase image in there - the creep factor really gears up after the first season (which was still, I don't know... I wouldn't watch it with anyone whose opinion of me I value). I dropped it.

If they did a cut without all of (what I assume are) Shinbou's worst influences, while keeping the surreality, it would be a better show. Still, judging by the relentless pace of adaptations, it still seems to find an audience so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Monogatari is one of the best written and directed anime so its not a mystery why people like it.

Old people don't like it because they are afraid of girls.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Old people don't like it because they are afraid of girls.

Hah, yeah, that's it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CuLT posted:

Hah, yeah, that's it.

Checkmate, I was recording this whole conversation. Now the proof is concrete.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*rewinds the tape for the judge*

CuLT: Hah, yeah, that's it.

"I see...."

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I can't keep up with your satyr-like spryness, you youthful devil :argh:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I just never got into it. Gave it 3 episodes again recently, and it was just kinda... there.

I can see why people like it though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im watching monogatari right now and it rules, that is my monogatari opinion

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The only Monogatari I wouldn't really watch with someone else is Nisemono.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

im watching monogatari right now and it rules, that is my monogatari opinion

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol perfect

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

lol perfect

Last night my compatriot said "This is like 'Bob Ross: The Anime'." Nothing sums it up better.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm not sure what the difference in your expectations and reality is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Stairmaster posted:

I'm not sure what the difference in your expectations and reality is.

Less incest I think?

• Locked thread