Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah swapping a Subaru engine in this isn't as daunting a task as it once was. There's company's that make almost everything you would need. Not sure how your state looks at swapped engines seeing as you have to smog that old thing. Another bonus of a Subaru engine is they are better engineered and are less of a clusterfuck design like those old vw pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
No your doing the right thing. File a complaint 9 out of 10 times pep boys will drop to there knees and swallow for you. Also call the shop manager in the morning when he is there. Explain what happened. I worked at pep boys for a few years. And doing poo poo like you described would have gotten us a new rear end in a top hat. They are very customer oriented and the manager and gm side with the customer always.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Welp, got offered $250 for a scrapper to pick up the explorer. I've asked them if that price is with me keeping the passenger seat, because I want it for the bus :2bong:

Besides the stock radio, is there anything that I should keep from it? I can't really think of any high-dollar items in a 98 Explorer.

dont know if you still have it. BUt if the center arm rest/console part works and is in decent shape take it out. those things are rare as hens teeth and go bad all the time. I have had customers come to my shop with a smashed window and they take the radio and center console.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

In retrospect, selling it to a junkyard might have been the better choice.

He tried but they never showed up. He should just try another junkyard or those we buy junk cars dudes. Also when looking for a CRv be careful look for the ones with a timing belt and you will thank me one day.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Thanks for advice. So, we're going today for a 97 crv, and I already looked up how complicated a belt is. Seems okay. Also, I tried two different junkyards, and both showed up like six hours after the scheduled appointment, when I was already at work. Neither of them called, either, until they already couldn't find me. gently caress that poo poo.

Those timing belts on the crv is super easy. The chained models can go jump in a fiery pit of rusty razors.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Most Hondas need there hubs and bearings pressed out. So find a good shop or go to a junkyard and pull a decent shape knuckle with what you need. All for a lot cheaper then what most shop's will charge.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The 100$ 4 drawer from harbor freight is an excellent roll around and holds a good amount. Just letting you know. But I understand the better things to spend money on l.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Where is the giant swamp cooler? I feel like your environment is appropriate for it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Put your coarsest rat tail file in your drill and get to it.

:banjo::hf::effort:

I use this when aluminum valve stems get stuck in the tpms housing. tap it in and spin it out and bobs your aunty no more stuck tpms.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

:perfect: this bus is amazing and makes me sad all Chicago area specimens are rust dust or $$$$$$$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

This is acceptable, as long as there is shag carpet, and additional wood furniture and/or staircase railings in the van, ala The Seventies.

Naw just minesota levels of rust and the ever present smell of sweat. Also kickin tunes.

• Locked thread