Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

What part of town do you live in Geirskogul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

16th and osborn area

Ah, ok. I'm out in Buckeye. Was going to offer up my garage for daytime repairs (on day's when I am home anyway) to get you out of the sun, but that's probably not worth the trek for you.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Are you doing all this in the parking lot of an apartment complex?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

You are far more dedicated to working on your car (or bus) than I am. I have an insulated garage and set up a fan the night before any serious work to push A/C into it overnight, and I *still* don't like working on my car much anymore!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

I was gonna call you a pansy until I remembered you live in the land where even ant bites can kill you.

I was not aware that ant bites could kill you in Phoenix. I suppose there is some sort of super-ant around here that I'm unaware of though.

As far as spiders, black widows here suck, but unlikely to be crawling around on your dash. Tarantula's are kind of cool, and I guess we have brown recluses as well, but that's about it for poisonous ones. Some people just don't like spiders!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Might actually be four of us! I read it, just don't have anything to add really, having never owned anything like this, but it's quite interesting what you are doing. I especially like how you are 3D printing lots of bits for the bus.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I thought of you this morning as a SouthWest ambulance that I had just passed zoomed back by me, pulled in front of me (not dangerously, but closer than I was comfortable with) in the exit lane of I-10, and then proceeded to slow down to 35mph for the last 1/4 mile until the lane split at the light.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Slowing down is fine, that wasn't what he did. He went from 70 on I-10 to 35 in the exit right after pulling in front of me, and then maintained 35 for a solid 1/4 mile or so to the exit ramp. This was one of those I-10 exit lanes where the entrance ramp becomes a lane that leads to the exit ramp. It was just a dick move because he was unhappy for some reason that I passed him before pulling into the exit lane I guess. Dunno, some things can't be explained, you just cruise along and try not to smash into them.

Edit: Also, he turned right at the light headed into Ahwatukee, and both guys were in the front, pretty sure he wasn't transporting anyone.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Umm... not to be terribly critical, since you are doing far more than I ever do to my car (or cars when I had race-car), but that weld is.. umm... ugly. Are you using wire meant for gas (without gas), or rosin core? Did you clean off the metal surfaces first and shape them for mating?

Better questions might be, have you ever welded before or is this just your learning stuff? I haven't welded in years, so who knows, my beads might be terrible if I tried now, but depending on your schedule (and mine), I'd be willing to stop by on the way home from work or something one day and see if I can help you get better if you don't know proper technique.

If you know the technique then it might just be a matter of practice, in which case, get lots of scrap and just have fun. It can be easier to learn to draw a proper bead just doing it on a flat surface sometimes instead of trying to actually mate two pieces together. When connecting two pieces, you want to grind/cut the mating edges to form a 'V' for the weld to fill into (not a huge V) rather than just puddling the bead along the outside edges.

There are probably tons of people here in AI that are master welders that probably have better advice on how to learn than I do.

But yea, welding is awesome and can be a big changer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well, I'll certainly recognize it if I ever see you cruising down the road around town now!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Baseparking.jpg

What were you doing at Papago ANG?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Uhh...drill?

Cool. I was just curious, couldn't think of why you'd have to drive your personal car there and park on base. Last time I was out there when we had to do work on base it was a complete pain in the rear end to get in at all, even in a company truck.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Looking pretty good!

You were much more productive than I was today. I sat in my chair playing video games, and now I'm going to do a late evening drive to the gym.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's an impressive day's work.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Even if it doesn't do a drat thing... it's shiny and chrome!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Okay, so today was a big day. One of my favorite days so far.

:words:

That came out pretty great. You had quite a productive day. I changed my oil and went to the gym, so I think you've got me beat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I've got more Titebond than I'll ever use before it dries up. If you were closer I'd just give you a bottle, but with our different locations and schedules, not sure how we could arrange a meeting. If you ever get anywhere near Hardy & Warner during the day, I could meet you at lunch though. Shoot me a PM with contact information if you think that could happen and I'll toss a glue bottle in the car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Oh, I thought it would be a lot more expensive than it was due to the name. Turns out it's just a really good wood glue (as I said twice so far, I'm not a woodworker, though I do watch Mathias Wandel on Youtube religiously).

I'm going to either pick some up tomorrow morning or get it shipped via amazon with our bimonthly grocery goodies bag. Thank you, though!

Cool. Note that the only difference between original Titebond, and Titebond III, (or II?) is that the latter is water proof. Since your wood is all interior, waterproof really isn't needed. Original Titebond is fine with quick water exposure, but soaking will make it slowly free up (which is great for me in my model ships, since I can get joints apart when I screw up a part). Most of the wood glue used in furniture for many many years was made with the non-waterproof glue which is something that's fairly recent in the big scheme of things.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's some great work. The bus is really coming together nicely.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The van is coming along great.

Isn't it a "bad thing" to have a regular battery inside the passenger compartment due to off-gassing while charging? Or is that one of those 'old man' things that I just grew up with and accepted as truth?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Also, you live in Phoenix, so you'll never actually use the heater. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hope your girl is ok man. Good luck with the insurance and motorcycle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So the traffic report on the radio this morning (KTAR) was talking about a VW bus running people off the road on the 101. What is wrong with you man? :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's true. I tend to listen to KTAR for about half of my stupid lovely commute for the traffic, and to get some news, since I don't watch TV. I eventually get sick of the commercials and switch to my music unless something big is happening in the news or traffic.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nice job with the cat. That tire slasher must be a complete nut-case. People are terrible.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I am not a cat person (terribly allergic), but you've done a good thing here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

You could call him Slash, or Ex, in appreciation of why you were outside to find him. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Guys nobody sent beer and I'm really disappointed in your search and rescue beer capability.

Hey now, I was in Eloy for a wedding & then Casa Grande for the reception (Catholic + Mexican = all day event) and didn't even see your prior message until just now.

Sucks that your day went that way, hope you find a relatively simple/easy fix.

Reminds me that I need to change my oil tomorrow, down to about 15% life.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm pleased to share that I chose this weekend to be in San Diego instead of Phoenix. I think it's supposed to get up to a blistering 73 today.

:v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Probably not viable for you, but if you ever really have to do something on your car/bus on a weekend (or on a Wednesday/Thursday when I work at home) and you want to make the stupid drive out to Buckeye to escape the sun/heat, you are welcome to drive out here and use my garage. Have a big air compressor that's noisy as hell, and a fairly decent selection of tools (no air-impact though, just an air-ratchet).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cool, just need to make sure to chat so you don't assume I have tools you'll need when I may not!

When I'm working on my car (pretty much just oil changes these days) I close the garage and use a box fan to send sweet cooling air from the house out into the garage to keep it somewhat cool (or at least not nearly as hot as outside). The garage door/walls/ceiling are all insulated, so it works moderately well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tighten the lug nuts?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tie rod was actually my first thought, but then you said 'simplest and cheapest', and lug nuts trump tie rod ends for simple and cheap. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Phoenix area goons looking for a really good toolbox, might take a look at this which was just posted on the local Solo2 forum - http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14765

$7600 Snap-on toolbox + $1400'ish riser for $2600. Note that I have never even considered spending that much on a toolbox, so I have no idea if this is actually a good deal or not.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Re: Power usage in Phoenix.

One of the down sides to getting solar (from an eco-friendly point of view) is that I now have so much on-peak excessive credits built up in the winter, that I never use before they buy them back for basically nothing at the end of December, that I just pay no loving attention whatsoever to my power usage anymore. A/C lives at 77 degrees whether I'm here or at work (or even on vacation most of the time), and I use as much hot water as I want, whenever I want and do cooking and washing whenever.

It's kind of funny in a way, that because I went solar, I am much less aware of my power usage, even though I know that there is no way the panels are offsetting the power during peak usage times in the summer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Have you ever considered a nice reliable Honda Civic for a daily driver? :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I've never even heard of a 'Spark Plug Non-Fouler' before.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

It's just called that to get around what it really is, which is an O2 sensor spacer to get rid of catalyst efficiency codes, say after you've knocked yours out with a broom. :ssh: I've never seen one used for its named purpose.

Back when I umm... might have been running a cat-less exhaust, they had actual dummy devices that completely replaced the sensor's to get rid of the code. This is the first time I've ever heard of these, which I guess shows just how far away from the 'car scene' I am these days.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Is that the van that passed or the beetle?

Hell yea on the dragon though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Swamp coolers are great if you happen to like living in a swamp.

I grew up with a swamp cooler (didn't live in a place with A/C until my early 20's) and I'm never (if I have a choice) living in a swamp cooled place again. It's certainly better than no cooling system, but A/C is the champ for comfort.

• Locked thread