Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Arthur
Fate Points: 3 Stress: P [][][][] M [][][] Consequences: None

Arthur charges through the door just in time to be sent stumbling back from the hangar by the fighter's explosion. Catching himself on the doorframe, he regains his balance and pushes back into the room. As the one standing pirate, who looks vaguely familoar at this distance, shouts something about the fire, Arthur spots Frank and calls out to him. "I believe we may need to put this fire out! Will your trick from the ballroom work again?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Frank] - Fate Points: 1 Stress: P:[X][X][ ][ ]/M:[ ][ ][ ]

"Sure!" Frank shouts through the inferno. "Keep these crooks off me!"

Shading his eyes from the heat, Frank looks around the hangar. Flames everywhere, compounded by fuel and debris. The Omniblaster won't be able to handle this the fire alone. He notices a nozzle protruding from the ceiling. Perfect, he thinks. One good jolt from the Omniblaster might be able to trigger the fire suppression systems.

Frank turns toward the electrical box near the open hangar bay, trots to a running start, and leaps through the flame.

Calling the Thermodynamics aspect Fire! Fire! Fire!. Holding on to the invoke for now.

Create an Advantage: Notice - Convenient Fire Suppression: 4dF+4 4 Excellent! Trying to set up for a big 'ol Super-Science roll to save the ship! If it succeeds, the aspect will be called Convenient Fire Suppression. On the other hand, maybe Yvette can figure out which button to press. :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Dhiren Shah

Bright eyes flit over the entire range of controls for an instant, and a thick finger stabs like a knife into the air, Dhiren's gaze now back on the task at hand.

"There. No, a little to your left, mademoiselle. There. Upper part of the console, bank of switches below a set of lights. Two rows of switches. Top row, second from the right. Bottom row, first on the left. And..."

He takes a breath in through his nose. Not a calm one, but an aggressive sniff, lip curling as he does, head twitching to one side. Tasting the air. "Mind the switch on the bottom row, mademoiselle, it's going to stick when you first try it, but just push on it a little harder."

He sniffs again, this time just to signify his disappointment. "This thing handles like a pig."

Go go tiger curse beast senses! Which button is it?: 4dF+5 5

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Dhiren Shah

Go go tiger curse beast senses! Which button is it?: 4dF+5 5

The button for the fire suppression is close to where Dhiren is pointing, labeled rather unhelpfully in German. Below that, in tiny French, is a translation that Yvette can see if she leans in and squints.

Verr posted:

Frank] - Fate Points: 1 Stress: P:[X][X][ ][ ]/M:[ ][ ][ ]
Calling the Thermodynamics aspect Fire! Fire! Fire!. Holding on to the invoke for now.

Create an Advantage: Notice - Convenient Fire Suppression: 4dF+4 4 Excellent! Trying to set up for a big 'ol Super-Science roll to save the ship! If it succeeds, the aspect will be called Convenient Fire Suppression. On the other hand, maybe Yvette can figure out which button to press. :v:

Success!

With a jolt from the Omniblaster, the fire suppression system is triggered. The effect is immediate, causing the flames to begin to die down, but not entirely. The flames still rage, hissing and spitting in protest. The pirates pick themselves up off the floor. Three of them charge Frank and Arthur, while two turn and head back for the cargo plane. One of them looks at Magnus, "Screw Puck! Let's get outta here!" he yells, motioning for Magnus to follow along.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Arthur
Fate Points: 3 Stress: P [][][][] M [][][] Consequences: None

"Good show!" Arthur flashes a grin and a thumbs up to his comrade. "I'll see to our guests!"

Charging forward, Arthur ducks and skids through a puddle, aiming to slam a shoulder into the first of the pirate trio.

Shoulder Tackle (Combat): 4dF+5 4 Could be better, could be worse.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Yvette Bellamont
Fate Points: 3 Stress: P[X][][X]/M[][][][] Consequences:

"German engineering, always making it difficult for the French." Yvette puts her face much closer to the panel than she'd like to admit, trying to figure out which button is the one she wants to hit. "Maybe I should have learned German instead of English. Then I could talk to machines better than I could talk to people." She grins as she continues to inspect what the words underneath the button say.

Panel Operation - French Edition: 4dF+4 4

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Frank - Fate Points: 1 Stress: P:[X][X][ ][ ]/M:[ ][ ][ ]

Frank turns from the console, sliding his hand on the greasy hinges. As the She Devil's men rush him, he flicks a little bit of the grease into the Omniblaster. He moves farther out into cargo bay, standing in front of and dangerously close to the open air outside the hanger. Frank winks at the pirates and gestures at them to bring it on.

As they rush, Frank catches the first man's sword arm and uses the pirate's leverage to flip him over his back. Just as the other two approach, Frank flicks the spray switch and hoses the ground in front of him with a puddle of thick grease. Diving to side, he waits for gravity to take its natural course.

Attack: Combat - Slip and Slide!: 4dF+4 6

Serf
May 5, 2011

RandallODim posted:

Arthur

Shoulder Tackle (Combat): 4dF+5 4 Could be better, could be worse.

Combat(Defend) - scuffle with Arthur: 4dF+5 9
Oh, wow. So they get a boost against you for a success with style.

The first of those pirates that Arthur slams into is very solidly built, and he rolls with the blow, tossing Arthur into the middle of the pack. "Get him!" one of them yells creatively.

I'm naming the boost Surrounded! and invoking it on this next attack.

Combat(Attack) - triple beatdown: 4dF+5 5
Okay, so with the invoke that's a +2 for 7

Verr posted:

Attack: Combat - Slip and Slide!: 4dF+4 6

Combat(Defend) - hold steady: 4dF+5 3
That's a success with style for Frank. You can spend one shift of damage for a boost if you want.

As the oil splatters over the floor, the three pirates stumble and one of them falls, knocking himself out as his head slams into the deck.

Success!

A green light begins flickering over the switch as the fire suppression system is activated and the flames that are beyond the hangar start dying down. Inside the hangar, the flow becomes stronger, and the steam starts getting whipped outside through the open hangar doors. There is a groaning and popping of metal as the heat lessens and the warped supports are rapidly cooled by the incoming water.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Frank leaps over the unconscious man as he slides toward the vast nothingness, stopping only barely before he falls to his doom. As the first pirate rises from the deck, Frank sprays grease directly into the man's face. "It's good for your complexion!" Frank shouts, just before socking him right in the face. He turns to face the third, 'blaster pointed right at the man's chest. Frank's eyes narrow, and he barks, "Make your move!"

So with my Omniblaster, the damage should be 10! I'll burn one of those shifts of damage for a boost. I'm assuming that 9 damage is enough to take out two of them. I'll boost my next defense action if any of the pirates are still up!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yvette Bellamont

Yvette goes back to the other comm from the pilot's side, confidently as she notices that the system is going full bore. Now that she knows the ship will get there in one piece, she's going to try to do something about any of the remaining fighting on board. "Now that the ship is no longer on fire, there's a very good chance my friend will be able to successfully dock the ship. If you happen to be one of the invaders, now may be a good time to surrender so that you can be taken into custody. It seems like a better course of action compared to continuing to fight when the police force on the ground could get involved. Plus, I imagine it's much less painful than some of the ways that my friends and I will take you down."

Not sure if it's an overcome or an attack of some sort, but...
Provoke: 4dF+3 2 Eh.

She stops talking into the comm, turning towards Dhiren. "That should work, non?"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Verr posted:

So with my Omniblaster, the damage should be 10! I'll burn one of those shifts of damage for a boost. I'm assuming that 9 damage is enough to take out two of them. I'll boost my next defense action if any of the pirates are still up!

With the omniblaster stuck in his face, the last pirate raises his arms over his head. "Okay, okay, just don't...uh... shoot!"

As he speaks, the rotors on the cargo plane begin to spin as the last two pirates are gearing up to make their getaway. Slowly the vehicle begins to lurch forwards, clearly aiming to pivot around at the back of the hangar and escape through the open doors. The fire in the hangar is almost extinguished, dying down to sputtering embers now.

thelazyblank posted:

Yvette Bellamont

Not sure if it's an overcome or an attack of some sort, but...
Provoke: 4dF+3 2 Eh.

From over the radio, there comes a hesitant reply. "I surrender..." Auer quickly takes over, sending men to round up the pirate, slipping back into his native German as he begins to order the crew back across the ship.

That was a success against their passive +1 Banter. I think they know that their goose is cooked at this point.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Dhiren Shah

He chuckles darkly, but says nothing, keeping his focus on steering the zeppelin. It wasn't quite flying, you couldn't be daring with a floating brick like this, but it was close enough to soothe his nerves.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Arthur Wentworth
Fate Points: 3 Stress: P [X][][][] M [][][] Consequences: None

And defending.... Sheer Fortitude (Combat): 4dF+5+2 6 Yeah, I'll just take the stress.

Arthur's momentum carries him down to the ground, as the pirate tosses him. He lands badly, and it's all he can do to get his arms up before the blows start. He catches some with his blocking, but most get past, hitting his sides. "I've had worse than this, you churls," he shouts, when one attack catches him in the side of the head, hard. His vision swims for a moment before the men's attention is drawn by Frank. Opening his eyes again, he pulls himself up in time to see Frank punch one of the pirates in the face, before shouting down the third. The sound of the starting plane drowns out any opportunity for congratulations. Turning to face it, Arthur puts a hand to his throbbing forehead; when he takes it away, his fingers are streaked with blood. And with that, he tucks his head and runs after the plane.

I've got a plane to catch (Athletics): 4dF+5 3 Well, if that's not gonna be enough, I'm prepared to burn Fate Points for +2s.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yvette Bellamont

Yvette looks out the window, grumbling for a moment. "Are we going to be landing soon?"

Yvette gets on the comms again, trying to get everyone attention. "Could we gather all of the captives, making it easier for the authorities? Merci."

Serf
May 5, 2011

RandallODim posted:

Arthur Wentworth

I've got a plane to catch (Athletics): 4dF+5 3 Well, if that's not gonna be enough, I'm prepared to burn Fate Points for +2s.

3 is dead on for catching up to the plane. The cargo doors aren't closed yet, so Arthur can still scramble inside.

The cargo bay of the plane is empty, the two pirates presumably jammed into the cockpit. The She-Devil sends her troops loaded with the gills, apparently. There are boxes of ammunition and several more rifles to be found here, as well as what looks like an entire crate of grenades, with a few missing. The door to the cockpit is closed, but Arthur can hear the muffled sound of the pirates arguing with someone on the radio, intercut with bursts of static.

thelazyblank posted:

Yvette Bellamont

Yvette looks out the window, grumbling for a moment. "Are we going to be landing soon?"

Yvette gets on the comms again, trying to get everyone attention. "Could we gather all of the captives, making it easier for the authorities? Merci."

The radio crackles with the voice of another crewman, "We're working on getting them down into the one of the cargo holds. No trouble so far."

Fuego Fish posted:

Dhiren Shah

He chuckles darkly, but says nothing, keeping his focus on steering the zeppelin. It wasn't quite flying, you couldn't be daring with a floating brick like this, but it was close enough to soothe his nerves.

The docking tower at Kai Tak looms ahead, and you're on course for a smooth connection. There are scads of people running around atop the ring at the top of the tower, with more coming up the elevator. The tower crew works alongside them, using their long hooks to help steer the craft in carefully. The people waiting outside are obviously Hong Kong police, with what looks like two squads of Zulu troops at the ready, prepared for a boarding action.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Frank

Frank waves the surrendered pirate over to the fire extinguisher and starts giving a basic rundown of how to work the device. "Alright pal, let's take this nice and easy..."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Arthur

Crouching among the crates, Arthur slowly makes his way to the cockpit door, hoping to hear what the pirates are talking about before they realize they have a stowaway on board.

Sneaking Up The Plane (Stealth): 4dF -1 Well, glad I was planning on fighting anyway...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Dhiren Shah

"Well, it's no gentle kiss," says Dhiren, grimacing a little as he guides the Ultima Graf in, the gondola scraping unpleasantly against... something. The whole thing would be needing repairs anyway, a fresh coat of paint wouldn't be the end of the world. "But it is a pretty good landing for a sleep-starved old man who probably should not have bitten that tommy gun in half."

He clears his throat suddenly, drowning out his own words. "The best I could manage under the circumstances. Please, mademoiselle, do let me know if all this excitement is over and done with, finally. I would be delighted to retire to a nearby hotel, one with sturdy doors and heavy locks, or perhaps a nearby park, for some much-needed rest."

I don't have to roll just to dock the darn thing, do I?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yvette Bellamont

"You're a strange one. Not that the rest of us have much to talk about. You should see Franklin's machine, it can do some ridiculous things. I'll see how the others are doing."

Yvette raises the comm up to speak into it again after the response. "How about those of us from the card game? Are we all accounted for? Anyone we need to look for?"

Serf
May 5, 2011

RandallODim posted:

Arthur
Sneaking Up The Plane (Stealth): 4dF -1 Well, glad I was planning on fighting anyway...

As the plane begins to turn, a hastily thrown-down rifle slides off of a crate and clatters to the ground at Arthur's feet. The cockpit door opens, and the pirate framed in the doorway looks shocked to see Arthur standing there. He hastily tries to throw it closed, shouting at his partner, "Murphy give me your gun!"

Fuego Fish posted:

Dhiren Shah
I don't have to roll just to dock the darn thing, do I?

Nope! Docking successful!

The great zeppelin comes to rest, and from this high vantage point Dhiren and Yvette have an excellent view of the bustling city. The sky is beginning to darken as the sun hangs low on the horizon, and the lights are starting to come on, pooling near the coastline and strung along the hillsides. Ships are coming back into harbor, and the fishing boats must pass by the Zulu destroyers parked just offshore. In the main docks, a cruise-ship sized vessel dominates the view, lit up like a second sun with ostentatious spotlights.

The pirate seems in no mood to give any resistance, using the fire extinguisher as he is shown, but he keeps glancing towards the slowly-moving cargo plane, which is clearly coming around for an attempt to take off out of those hangar doors.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Arthur

Self-compelling All I Need Are My Fists to not just grab the gun and shoot 'em

"So much for that plan," Arthur says largely to himself. Looking down for a moment, he kicks aside the rifle at his feet; he's never needed a gun before, so why should now be any different? His physical strength has always served him in the past. Charging the short distance between himself and the cockpit, Arthur throws his whole weight into the door trying to get inside as quickly as he can. If he can stop the pirates before they take off, everything should be smooth sailing, but once they're in the air, it might be a different story...

Door-Slamming Action! (Physique): 4dF+4 2 If that's not enough, I'll spend a Fate Point on Books, Brawn and Bravery for +2.

Serf
May 5, 2011

RandallODim posted:

Arthur

Self-compelling All I Need Are My Fists to not just grab the gun and shoot 'em

Door-Slamming Action! (Physique): 4dF+4 2 If that's not enough, I'll spend a Fate Point on Books, Brawn and Bravery for +2.

Physique - hold the door: 4dF+3 4
Okay, so when you invoke, that's a tie.

The pirate can't hold the door against Arthur's strength, but when he gives way, he falls back onto the controls of the plane. Engines gunning, the plane begins to accelerate towards the open hangar doors even faster. Tangled up with her friend, the pilot can't get the controls in order. "I can't steer this thing!" she yells.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Arthur

Arthur pushes further into the cockpit as regret washes over him for never finishing his flying lessons. He searches for some means to stop the plane, racking his brain for anything he may have read that would help; he must have read something relevant to airplane operation, even just a technical manual.

Assuming the roll to recognize an emergency stop or engine killswitch without any guidance would be Vehicles rather than Notice. Come on where's an emergency stop (Vehicles): 4dF+2 1 Invoking Books, Brawn and Bravery to raise it to 3 because oh god I need it. I can't figure out a justification for invoking All I Need Are My Fists though, even if another +2 would be nice.

Serf
May 5, 2011

3 is actually a tie!

Arthur manages to find the right switch that kills the engines, and the plane begins to slow, rolling towards a stop. However, the remaining speed is enough to carry it just over the lip, and there is a thump as the front end of the plane slides out into open air, with the back half grinding to a halt inside the hangar. Leaning precariously forward, the two pirates hold their breath as the plane teeters on the edge, nothing but solid ground two hundred meters below.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Frank

Frank keeps his gun on the pirate, watching over his shoulder in horror as the plane careens towards the edge.

As the plane stops, he runs toward the plane. As he snatches a nearby cargo hook dangling from a well-burnt loading crane, he shouts to the pirate, "Help me quick!" As the plane begins to teeter toward the empty sky, Frank slides the hook around one the plane's rudder. Heaving upward, he turns his head back to the pirate, teeth clenched and straining. "NOW!"

Create an Advantage: Athletics - Hook the Plane's tail: 4dF+3 3

Creating Advantage "Hooked on a Feeling."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Dhiren Shah

"Well, that was certainly an adventure," says Dhiren as he gets up from the pilot's station and stretches with remarkable grace for someone running on no sleep. "But no rest for the wicked, as you people say. We should locate the others and then, ah, relocate ourselves. After all, we are but honest and hardworking people from all walks of life, who are most certainly not agents of the League, and I would rather not waste the long days spent on this whole blasted subterfuge by posing for the press photographers as brave heroes, even if we are."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yvette Bellamont

"Well, I'd like to avoid the questions, to be honest. Like what is a young woman doing dressed like that and how many fires were my fault. Which way do you think is the best way out for us? And was that everyone, I feel like we were missing someone."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Magnus Mandelbaum
One of the Guys Fate Points: 4 Stress: P☐☐☐/M☐☐☐☐ Consequences: -

Seeing all the commotion around him, Magnus hesitates for a while. The plane was about to roll out of the hangar, but Frank seem to have that under control and the Ultima Graf appears to have docked successfully. Assuming that Arthur has disabled the remaining pirates in the plane's cockpit, there is really not much left for him to do now. However, since stealth appears to be key on this mission, it is probably best to lose the pirate outfit, less he is arrested himself. Best would probably be to find some mechanic's clothes, masquerade as one of the crew and skip police and customs all together.

Rolling Notice to find a mechanic's outfit or something similar in the hangar.

Notice: 4dF+5 7

Serf
May 5, 2011

Verr posted:

Frank
Create an Advantage: Athletics - Hook the Plane's tail: 4dF+3 3

Creating Advantage "Hooked on a Feeling."

Success!

The plane doesn't seem to be teetering so much anymore, with the two men hauling it looks like it should remain in one place for the moment. The sprinkler system finally exhausts itself, but the remaining water leaves the deck slippery. The pirate doesn't look like he's ready to fight, instead recognizing that his comrades are on that plane, and he doesn't want them to die just as much as Frank wants to keep Arthur alive.

e X posted:

Magnus Mandelbaum
One of the Guys Fate Points: 4 Stress: P☐☐☐/M☐☐☐☐ Consequences: -

Rolling Notice to find a mechanic's outfit or something similar in the hangar.

Notice: 4dF+5 7

That's a success with style! You can get a boost as per normal, or you can choose to appear anywhere on the ship or on the dock, no questions asked, and nobody will look at you twice.

Fuego Fish posted:

Dhiren Shah

thelazyblank posted:

Yvette Bellamont

The sound of boots on wet carpet makes a sort of squelching noise, and that noise is approaching fast as the authorities make their way towards the bridge. Leading the way is Auer, who steps into the room first, and upon noticing Dhiren and Yvette, gives them a respectful nod before turning back to the others.

"I believe we locked one in that room, we don't want him getting past us!" he says, and there is a sound of shuffling that follows. He looks back into the bridge and waves them over, gesturing them down the now-empty hallway. "Thank you for everything you have done for us. I won't tell them about you, captain's orders after all. When you get to the end of this hallway, look for a crew door to the left. Follow the signs down to the service exit below the docks, that should keep you out of sight."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Arthur
Fate Points: 2 Stress: P [X][][][] M [][][] Consequences: None

As the plane's balance begins shifting back into the hangar, Arthur runs back into the body of the plane. "Quickly," he calls over his shoulder to the two pirates in the cockpit. "We have to re-balance this thing!" Slamming his shoulder into a suitably large pile of crates near the doorway, Arthur shoves it towards the back of the cargo space, aiming to shift the plane's weight enough to safely return it to the floor.

Crate Pushing Puzzle (Physique): 4dF+4 4 Using Verr's advantage for +2 brings it to 6, which I sure hope is enough.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Magnus Mandelbaum
Fate Points: 4 Stress: P☐☐☐/M☐☐☐☐ Consequences: -

Magnus disappears behind a crate for a few moments, only to reappear in the guise of a ship mechanic, grease on his face, making his way of the ship and into the dock, past any curious or cornered authorities or costume agents.

Serf
May 5, 2011

RandallODim posted:

Arthur
Crate Pushing Puzzle (Physique): 4dF+4 4 Using Verr's advantage for +2 brings it to 6, which I sure hope is enough.

Success!

The plane groans and shudders as it settles down back into the hangar. It seems like it isn't going anywhere else for the moment.The pirates move into the hangar with their comrade, arms raised up in surrender.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Frank

Frank nods to the pirates as they move to surrender. "Thanks pals, I'll put a good in word for you with the muckity mucks. They'll be along shortly."

Striding from the hanger and nursing his bruises and burns, Frank ducks down a maintenance chute, quickly making his way back to the cargo bay.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yvette Bellamont

"Thank you. Don't want to end up with my new employers already thinking I'm a wreck. After me?" Yvette smirks, heading out the way the first mate described, trying to avoid any of the potential security forces going to collect the pirates.

Serf
May 5, 2011

July 7th, 1923
Aspects: Seat of Power, Home Sweet Home, Something for Everyone

This stately building once belonged to a British aristocrat before the Boxer Rebellion. For a time it was used by the Eight-Nation Alliance to oversee Hong Kong, and then briefly by Zulu troops. Now, it has passed into the ownership of the League of Nations, and serves as the center of Hong Kong's government. The building proper is used for the day-to-day functions of running the city's government, with most of the rooms given over to offices, conference rooms and the quarters of the League delegates sent to maintain the balance between the Eight-Nation Alliance and the Great Qing.

Agents arriving at headquarters are directed to the back of the building, currently roped off with signs that read "Under Construction". But who are you to question the directions of the very severe and knowledgeable aides who meet you at the door? Behind those ropes and signs and unlocked doors is the disused courtyard of the former mansion, which the building is centered around. Currently it is occupied by various mechanical devices, big and small, most of which are covered up under tarps. At the center of it all is what appears to be a classical orrery, outfitted with various modifications including radio antennas and rudimentary vacuum tubes. From here the environs of the mansion become far less mundane, as the back portion of the headquarters are home to the other aspect of the League. An occult library and sorcerer's sanctum are fitted up against a laboratory spilling over with half-completed devices and unfinished experiments. This place has most everything one could need to at least begin confronting an occult happening or some rampant scientific folly. And with the League's connections, what they don't have can be located or maybe even acquired.

The courtyard is open to the sky, and runes are carved into the surrounding four walls that give off a light humming sound. Stairs lead up from either side of the courtyard to the second and third floors.

Welcome to home base! This is where the League runs their monster hunting operations out of, just a few feet from their more legitimate dealings. There's no better security than crushing bureaucracy after all.

So, by whatever coincidences have to happen you'll all arrive here around the same time, let's say noon of July 7th. Please tell us how your character got from the Ultima Graf to the League HQ, but there's no pressure to put a lot of work into it. And if you want to go into a lot of detail, that's cool too!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Magnus Mandelbaum
Fate Points: 5 Stress: P☐☐☐/M☐☐☐☐ Consequences: -

After he slipped past the authorities of the airship port in the guise of a humble mechanic, Magnus makes his way through the streets of Hong Kong. He feels a little bad for leaving his colleagues behind, but as it was told to him, stealth was paramount on this mission so it was certainly in everybody's interest to keep a low profile. Besides , he would just meet them again at the headquarters anyway, so there was no need to worry.

He never had been to the city before, a blank spot in his world map of performances and missions. A fascinating town, so much is certain, though he felt a little lost among this foreign culture. Luckily, the League building hold a prominent place among the architecture of Hong Kong, so even without knowing much about his surroundings, he has an easy time finding it. Before he makes his entrance though, he ducks into an alley searching for more, presentable, cloth. He has little interest explaining why a simple mechanic requires entry to this highly secured building.

He cleans his face of the engine grease and swaps his cloth with a collection of the local fashion. Surely, the owners wont mind getting a nice overall in exchange. After he has redressed himself, he makes his way to the League's entrance.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 1, 2015

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Frank, limping, grabs his pack, looking for a way to flee the Ultima Graf. Now dressed in civilian suit, he limps toward the prow of the ship. Pondering, he passes the hangar bay, now empty of mercenaries and crew. He moves to the pirate's plane, pulling his hand-held scanner to test the fuel and fuselage, hoping to find some clue as to their origin. A few minutes of absorbed work, and Frank hears footsteps on the Graf's deck. He turns to find a young official holding pen and clipboard.

Invoking a passive advantage from my Technobabble trait to make friends.
Rolling Super-Science for clues as to the SHE-DEVILS.

Super-Science-ing for clues: 4dF+5 4

After a few hours of examining the She-devil's plane, Frank and his new constabulary friend shake hands. "Lap, what a pleasure. You have a real talent for the forensic. Say, would you mind getting the name of the pirate with the bushy beard? He helped saved my friend. Good to know who you can trust these days."

Self-compelling on Been There, Seen the Prototype for a fate point! Frank can't shut up about how much poo poo he's seen. What a jerk.

He offers Lap a piece of paper, with lines scribbled in a tight, precise cursive. "Here's some directions. Ever heard of the ol'Doc Xi's lab? Yeah. The radioactive one. There's a nice tea house just a few blocks west of it. Let's catch up tonight after you get off work. I'd love to chat methodology."

Many cups of tea later, an exhausted and injured Frank slouches behind the League building, flopping behind a collection of garbage bins. Four hours of restless sleep. Just before noon, Frank peels himself off the ground, and walks inside the servant's entrance to the League HQ. A few disgusted aides later, Frank is brusquely abandoned in the courtyard. Frank spots Magnus and waves.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yvette Bellamont

Yvette snuck out the back of the airship, getting out while avoiding most of the others in the area. Who's going to look twice at a young person dressed like she belongs in a docking area? Not bothering trying to investigate anything more on the ship, she needed to look up the She-Devils when she got set up in the city. She spent some time wandering around the city, getting some idea of the city and spending time actually moving around outside of a giant metal box. She left France to see the world, and she's got a bit of time. She isn't afraid to take it.

She does show up to meet everyone right on time, although she looks like she took the long way around. She was immediately being drawn over to the sanctum curiously. "So, we have some useful things here.. Good, I was worried it would be like the ship again." She seems to be talking to the room, even though she's not really looking at anyone.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Dhiren Shah

He felt a little guilty for leaving Yvette on her own, but that vanished the moment Dhiren was somewhere alone and secluded, where his other self could pad the empty alleyways between warehouses and burn off a little more of that cooped-up feeling. Everything sort of blurred together from lack of sleep, but when he awoke later, curled up like a housecat on what was admittedly a rather comfortable pile of cardboard boxes, he'd never been better. Especially when there was no fresh blood on him, a sure sign he hadn't done anything particularly unfortunate.

Whatever tasks needed to be done were secondary to getting a good night's sleep, or at least a night's sleep where he wouldn't be mauling anyone to death without reason. He is one of the last to arrive at the League of Nations headquarters, yawning as he lopes through the streets. Crowds were never a bother to him, it wasn't so much that people avoided him, but more that they were like a constantly-moving jungle around him. It was easy to slip through them when they weren't bothered about his presence. Plus he'd taken the time to rinse all (or at least most) of the blood off, so he looked as much the scruffy itinerant that he technically was.

A real bath, or at the very least a shower, would have to follow soon. But it was glorious to be well-rested for the first time in days. After being directed to the courtyard, he saunters over to the nearest and most comfortable-looking empty chair and occupies it, sprawling out to get comfortable. But he says nothing, biding his time until approached for conversation. That wasn't a tiger thing, that was just how he had always been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Arthur

As he makes his way to the front entrance, Arthur regards the exterior of the League's headquarters. Even now, after years as a citizen of the world more than a subject of the crown, the smatterings of British architecture make him feel nostalgic for home. He walks to the front entrance at a light jog, eager to learn of what it is he and his companions have been called to attend to.

---

Arthur had spent the previous night in the company of his old friend, Zhang Min. They had met years before, on the mainland, where a group of jiangshi had been preying on traders carrying goods along the Pearl River. They'd exchanged many letters since then, and when he learned he would be travelling to Hong Kong, where Min had settled down, Arthur made sure to let him know.

Sitting in a secluded corner of the small tea shop Min now ran, Arthur and his friend conversed late into the night. When Arthur mentioned it was League business that brought him to the city, Min scoffed. "They've been bothering me ever since I opened up here," he said. "I'll tell you what I told them: I'm retired, and I'm keeping it that way." "Oh, come now," Arthur ribbed. "Zhang Min, retired? I can hardly believe you're the same man I journeyed into the Himalayas with." Min leaned back. "That was quite the adventure. But you'll have to believe it. I'd say I've earned a quiet life." Arthur sipped his tea and smiled. "Is there nothing I could do to convince you?" Min smirked. "No, I'd say I'm quite happy sitting this out." He picked up the teapot and began pouring new cups. "You're certainly free to stay here, though. I'd be happy to have the company."

---

Ducking under the "Under Construction" rope, Arthur heads through the doors into the courtyard. He smiles and waves to Dhiren, then sets about examining the runes carved into the walls, as much as a personal exercise to pass the time until the briefing as out of any real desire to know their purpose.

Determining the Runes' Purpose (Occult): 4dF+3 3, or 4 if Academic Occultist counts

• Locked thread