Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

You are my new favorite person.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Nintendo Power, I swear, at one point did a whole series of issues dedicated to Turok and Turok 2 basically providing a walkthrough for the whole game.
I don't remember one of these for Turok 2, but I know that they had an issue where they provided maps of all the levels of Turok 1, which included all the important pickups. That was back in the days when they had mini-strategy guides and maps for certain games- usually up to a certain point, like halfway through. There were exceptions, though, like for Turok 1 and Super Metroid (although they only did the latter when that got an official re-release).

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

I don't remember one of these for Turok 2, but I know that they had an issue where they provided maps of all the levels of Turok 1, which included all the important pickups. That was back in the days when they had mini-strategy guides and maps for certain games- usually up to a certain point, like halfway through. There were exceptions, though, like for Turok 1 and Super Metroid (although they only did the latter when that got an official re-release).

I remember this, and I also remember this game ruining my poo poo. I was able to get through about what we've seen so far on normal, but I remember the later parts of the game getting insanely hard. The Catacombs in particular was very hard to find your way around, and ammo/bug issues abounded.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

open the door/get on the floor/everybody shoot the dinosaur

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Who's circle-strafing who?
For a dinosaur hunting game you sure shoot a ton more of the most dangerous game of all.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

For those of you that were remembering this game having long complicated and confusing levels, I'm pretty sure level 5 is what you were remembering. I did about an hours worth of test recording today today and still haven't found a key.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least you've got a kickass boss fight at the end of that level. I believe that's where you get one of the keys.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Wedding sucessful, let's celebrate with a level that confused the hell out of me in practice recording, then took half the time in actual recording.

Episode 10 - Keeping Warm In The Catacombs

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Good Lord that level looks like a pain to navigate, i look away from the video even for a second and i lose track of where you are in relation to everything else :psyduck: maybe it's a bit different when you're actually playing and paying full attention to the game though, the automap certainly helps too.

I also find it weird that we're about halfway through the game now right? Yet the most consistently powerful explosive we have in our arsenal is still the starting bow's alt fire! We're starting to get some of the crazier stuff with the minigun and the plasma rifle but it's not until either next level or level 7 where we get a proper rocket launcher.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 2, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The only thing I remember from this level is that sweet stair case ride down in the beginning, the rest is blank... probably because I just cheated past it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 11 - I Love this Gun

More video, It's impressive how confusing this entire level is. Multiple dead ends leading off of branching paths, but since there's only one way towards progress you'll eventually find your way around, it just may take a while. At least we have the anchor of that one room that we keep popping in and out of.

New gun too, but not an explosive one. Still my favorite though.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 5, 2015

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Oh hey there's a nice dessert after finishing BBC's 2001 version of The Lost World. I had a feeling this evening had more dinosaurs left in it for me.
I mean, this doesn't have Bob Hoskins, but it has a lot more explosions and also particle accelerators shockwave weapons. I am willing to accept this tradeoff as fair and right.
And holy hell, that's a lot of tangled corridors. I'm amazed you only got lost once. Well, once and a half.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ah, '90s FPS maps where everything looks the same... gotta love 'em. At least the automap saves you from having too much frustration.

And hey, you got the Particle Accelerator! Now you can finally kill those drat monkeys. Unfortunately there's no reward for doing that, but it's something you can do.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I'd forgot how great the auto map is until this level. It's just an intrusive enough to fade into the background after a couple of minutes.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I've never seen anything past that stair puzzle in this level because gently caress that noise. Cheats forever.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Level 5 is finally behind us, no more getting lost underground.

Episode 12 - Exterminating More Species

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I finally realized to add in the new weapons to the OP.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 10, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oooo, Treetop Village. That doesn't sound filled with jumping puzzles at all!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sorry, but can I just say that I LOVE the music for Level 4 - Ruins?

Also, I found something out from my handy dandy guide book (that I still need to scan up upload some poo poo from). Enemies will only respawn a set number of times!

Acclaim's Bey Bickerton posted:

Enemies can teleport back to an area a random number of times. Specific enemies have higher teleportation variables (for example, Leapers as opposed to Soldiers). Say, if a Soldier has a teleportation number of three, and you kill him twice your first time through an area, he should be there again if you return to that level. If you kill him three times the first time through, he won't return.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Oooo, Treetop Village. That doesn't sound filled with jumping puzzles at all!

More of falling puzzles really.

BMS posted:

Also, I found something out from my handy dandy guide book (that I still need to scan up upload some poo poo from). Enemies will only respawn a set number of times!

:aaa: I never knew of this at all.

Also note bonus coming, taking a hilarious amount of time to edit.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Bonus 03 - Know Your Prey

Sorry for the inordinate amount of time between updates. Had some IRL stuff come up. Some good, some bad, most annoying, but all time consuming. Should be mostly taken care of at this point

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dinosaurs looking closer to birds is both extremely disappointing and kinda cool. The real velociraptor looks more video game-like than the video game version (which is really just the Jurassic Park version).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I used to think feathered, bird-like dinosaurs were completely lame, but then I thought what they'd be like if they approached the intelligence of modern birds like corvids. Small velociraptors with the ability to use basic tools would be totally rad.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I want to know which Dino is the Raven's ancestor. They were probably the best dino.. Just saying.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Computer back in my hands so this should move along more smoothly than it has in the past couple months. That being said have some new content.

The best I could find for ancient ravens, not very ancient unfortunately. For the record, I love the feathers on dinosaurs and think they look awesome.

Episode 13 - I Want A Tree House Like This Even Today

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Naturally, the weapons the aliens use in this game are called "Alien Weapon." It's no Particle Accelerator or Cerebral Bore, that's for sure. I think someone earlier in the thread called it an all-or-nothing weapon, which seems right- in this video you either did no damage to enemies or you killed them.

Edit Those lightning flashes aren't distracting at all.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 16, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Yessssss it's back.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Naturally, the weapons the aliens use in this game are called "Alien Weapon." It's no Particle Accelerator or Cerebral Bore, that's for sure. I think someone earlier in the thread called it an all-or-nothing weapon, which seems right- in this video you either did no damage to enemies or you killed them.

Edit Those lightning flashes aren't distracting at all.

It feels like the Alien Weapon has a property where you either do small about of damage with the impact of the energy, uh, shell, or you do the full damage with the explosion. Never both.

Also super happy to have this back on track.

EDIT: I can't spell.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 20, 2015

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 14 - The Air Up Here is Mighty Thin

More video goodness. Lever 7 will be in a couple different parts cause it's a bit tougher.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That chronoscepter piece placement is evil.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This being Turok, they're not content with giving you just a plain ol' Rocket Launcher... you get one that shoots four rockets instead. Good hunting, indeed.

How can the Campaigner do whatever it is he wants to do with an army of soldiers that miss spectacularly from long range? The Ancient Warriors can snipe you from almost off the screen. He has no excuse.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

It just wouldn't be a Turok game without big outlandish and ridiculous weapons. It's why they stuck with me. More FPS games need stuff like that.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

PSWII60 posted:

And it was here where I think the game designers might have gotten a bit carried away with what they COULD do...

Turok 2 in a nutshell everyone...No, really, it's amazing to me just how unpolished Seeds of Evil was in comparison to Dinosaur Hunter. The game spent like two and a half years in development while Dinosaur Hunter only took something like 9 months. And yet Seeds of Evil is the one that plays like an obvious Beta, while Dinosaur Hunter plays like the fully playtested and finished version. After all...

1) Turok himself moves much more sluggishly in Seeds of Evil than he does in Dinosaur Hunter, and he doesn't have Diagonal Running, meaning that he can't dodge attacks as effectively.

2) There's an obvious delay in Seeds of Evil's controls that is not there in Dinosaur Hunter.

3) There are frame rate issues in Seeds of Evil that are mostly absent from Dinosaur Hunter.

4) There are LESS levels in Seeds of Evil, and the save points are not as conveniently located.

5) Seeds of Evil is much more glitchy. You'll have crates blow up in some areas, only for the game to STILL have invisible barriers where the crates originally were.

6) No backpacks in Seeds of Evil.

7) That dumb head-shot gimmick that only served to make the combat clunkier.

8) ...and I could go on...

I'm not sure when we're getting to that game, but I played that for my very first time just a few months ago...and dang. Game really didn't live up to it's hype, did it o.0?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Fionordequester posted:

I'm not sure when we're getting to that game, but I played that for my very first time just a few months ago...and dang. Game really didn't live up to it's hype, did it o.0?

Nope. But it did have one thing going for it:

1) Cerebral Bore

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

EricFate posted:

Nope. But it did have one thing going for it:

1) Cerebral Bore

This is something no other game has ever been able to replicate.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only one that really enjoyed Seeds of Evil, (headshot gimmick included), and possibly enjoyed the Razor Wind more as a weapon than the Cerebral Bore?

Plus I remember Seeds of Evil having some type of anti-cheat script in place, where if you used cheat codes, you got a really lovely ending, (or am I remembering that one wrong?), which was awesome and hilarious, considering I didn't legit beat the game on hard until some years after it's release. Also, there was a way to cheat, and play the single player campaign with a friend and use the multiplayer characters. (Except it would bug out if you entered a teleporter :( )

Anyway, I loved Dinosaur Hunter, but really just didn't like the aesthetics of the final two levels all that much. But despite not really liking the way the levels looked, man they were so, so FUN. Love these first two games. It's like reliving a bit of my childhood here. Thanks PSWII60.

BMS fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 23, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I thing i could think of is that if you used a level warp cheat to go straight to the final boss you'd get the bad ending as the game checks if you have saved all the totems or not? Yeah the Cerebral Bore is made way better (aka more gory) in the game that nobody likes "Evolution"

Plus i'd argue that the Black Hole cube and Poison Arrows are better than the razor wind. What headshot gimmick are you referring to? Or is it simply that headshot damage exists?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

It just wouldn't be a Turok game without big outlandish and ridiculous weapons. It's why they stuck with me. More FPS games need stuff like that.
Boy do they ever. In today's average FPS, weapons are boring and you can only carry two of them at a time. We need more Turok, and not the latest version of it either.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

We'll get to Turok 2 in about 6 videos. I loved Turok 2 as a kid, and we'll see if it is a fun as I remember it (Only played level 1 lately). I do agree that it's slower and requires more duck and cover gameplay compared to the first one's more action oriented gameplay. It is a bit glitchier and more oddly designed, I remember things like
  • Dying in the swamp because I couldn't jump back to shore.
  • A plasma rife that seems to do piss damage unless you get a head shot despite having a really satisfying explosion effect and kickback when you don't head shot.
  • A space that is an odd design choice in level 6 that caused me to return the game as a kid thinking it suffered from an game breaking glitch.
  • Enemies that can sometimes shoot through walls.
  • A super weapon that you get with maybe 1 more enemy in the level.

However although the game does have 6 levels rather than 8, the levels are absolutely massive. The slowdown and frame rate issues don't show up if you aren't using the HD texture pack. The game is a masterpiece in weapon design. The Cerebral Bore s often mentioned, the Razorwind was my most used weapon by far, and the Shredder is easily my favorite weapon in any FPS. The head shot mechanic never bothered me, I'll go more into detail on that when we get there. My bottom line is the game is extremely fun, largely due to the enormous weapon variety, and I do enjoy playing at least as much as Turok 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What headshot gimmick are you referring to? Or is it simply that headshot damage exists?

I'm pretty sure that's what Fionordequester was referring to, yes.

PSWII60 posted:

We'll get to Turok 2 in about 6 videos. I loved Turok 2 as a kid, and we'll see if it is a fun as I remember it (Only played level 1 lately). I do agree that it's slower and requires more duck and cover gameplay compared to the first one's more action oriented gameplay. It is a bit glitchier and more oddly designed, I remember things like
  • Dying in the swamp because I couldn't jump back to shore.
  • A plasma rife that seems to do piss damage unless you get a head shot despite having a really satisfying explosion effect and kickback when you don't head shot.
  • A space that is an odd design choice in level 6 that caused me to return the game as a kid thinking it suffered from an game breaking glitch.
  • Enemies that can sometimes shoot through walls.
  • A super weapon that you get with maybe 1 more enemy in the level.

However although the game does have 6 levels rather than 8, the levels are absolutely massive. The slowdown and frame rate issues don't show up if you aren't using the HD texture pack. The game is a masterpiece in weapon design. The Cerebral Bore s often mentioned, the Razorwind was my most used weapon by far, and the Shredder is easily my favorite weapon in any FPS. The head shot mechanic never bothered me, I'll go more into detail on that when we get there. My bottom line is the game is extremely fun, largely due to the enormous weapon variety, and I do enjoy playing at least as much as Turok 1.

Oy, the Plasma Rifle in 2 is HORRID. All it is is just a pure sniper rifle, (Which is made null by the fact that once you get the Tek Bow, you can snipe with normal arrows, as using the scope on the bow eliminates most of the downward arrow trajectory AND you can recover arrows!)

Curious as to what space you're referring to.

But Razor Wind. Seriously. (Also, I tried to find a gif of it, but every search I did brought up pokemon or something?????)

How can you beat this weapon?

....oh yeah, you can butcher it like Turok 3 did.

• Locked thread