Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

to save the rest of your from my inane renderings I've created this wee thread. a bit like the idiot projects, only more art rather than project focused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
thats gay

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the electromagnetic spectrum chokes on cock

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I used to use Reason a bunch but I stopped because life

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

RBC posted:

thats gay

you're gay what have you ever done?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

RBC posted:

thats gay

:quig:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
they added a bunch of poo poo to Reason and I can't catch up anymore so my creative endeavours are dead

for now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

they added a bunch of poo poo to Reason and I can't catch up anymore so my creative endeavours are dead

for now
get back into it my mate

thats iphone 4 resolution. its not finished rendering but thats going to be for my phone

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm working out my creative endeavour right now after hastily preparing field mushroom sauce last night

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I'm working out my creative endeavour right now after hastily preparing field mushroom sauce last night

that's poo poo right? you poo poo in a bucket and you're using it to grow mushrooms right?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:aaaaa:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the app background and the lock screen

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the app background and the lock screen

im digging the faded look of the first one

keep it up echinopsis

ketupnosis

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
whoa

pram
Jun 10, 2001
noice renders mate *cracks open fosters beer in your honor*

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

that's Australian piss mate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Linux Pirate posted:

im digging the faded look of the first one

keep it up echinopsis

ketupnosis

cheers bud. sun and sky lighting when it's low angle tends to do that, it's a naturally low contrast time of day which helps with photos! yeah I kinda like it too an it works well as home screen wallpaper coz it's not too in your face

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

noice renders mate *cracks open fosters beer in your honor*

imagine if I could trade renders for key cap sets. man I would be set for life. thanks for the virtual beer

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
in for the rendered rainbows.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Your light renders are the f.lux of my life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that couldnt make me happier :)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's great and all echi

but is it as cool as the Apple logo if it were made of cocaine?

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 9, 2015

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

echinopsis posted:

to save the rest of your from my inane renderings I've created this wee thread. a bit like the idiot projects, only more art rather than project focused

Amazing! it loioks like Pink Floyd. Spectacular

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

i like your simulation friend. the high levels of particles makes it solid. love

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Doc Block posted:

is the bounciness a separate factor that you defined for the individual particles or is it just a natural consequence of the entire system?

I don't know poo poo about physics please reprimand me if what I asked was dumb

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
there's an elasticity coefficient that determines how "bouncy" the particles are when they hit each other. the higher the number, the less energy they lose when they collide. for that simulation it was 0.05, which is pretty low. 0.0 = no elasticity, so if a particle were to hit, say, the ground, it wouldn't bounce at all, whereas a particle with 1.0 elasticity would bounce forever.

they're also "bouncy" because of the way the physics system works. it's a discrete step solver, meaning it moves each particle just a little bit according to its velocity and direction, then checks for collisions, deals with those collisions (calculating new velocities and directions, etc.), then moves the particles a little again, and so on.

a consequence of this is that particles can wind up overlapping after the move portion of each step, and if that happens they get forced apart until they stop overlapping, which can cause them to then overlap with different particles on the next step, in turn causing a cascade of particles overlapping and then being forced apart, which is part of the reason there's the big *POOF* of particles in that simulation.

but i came up with an even cooler one, but which suffers pretty badly from a combination of bouncy particles and the aforementioned overlap cascade:

i wasn't really sure what to expect with that one (~45 minutes to simulate & render), and was hoping for something like the effect at the end of each level in Doom where it would just slide down the screen and come apart, but this was pretty :laffo:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

is there a better way to calculate this poo poo not using discrete step solvers? i want my joke picture of morgan freeman dissolving into individual particles to be as accurate as possible please

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
there are other methods, but :effort:

like, there's swept volume collision checking. that's still done in discreet steps, but instead it extrudes each particle along its direction of travel by however much it would move in that step, then checks to see if it would collide with any other extruded particles, which has the advantage of letting you know if particles will collide in that step before moving them so you can only move them to the point of collision or whatever instead of having them overlap.

but that's a lot of extra math and poo poo for what's just a toy app. the morgan freeman simulation had approximately 250 thousand particles and took 43 minutes to simulate.

edit 2: "fun" morgan freeman simulation deets:
Simulation time: 2584.749540 seconds
Render time (frame only): 1.479263 seconds
Render time: 11.084245 seconds
Save to file time: 9.600084 seconds
Total frames: 240
Average time per frame: 10.815991 seconds
Shortest: 6.651670 seconds
Longest: 55.615163 seconds
Total time: 43 minutes, 15 seconds

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 9, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

Amazing! it loioks like Pink Floyd. Spectacular

Is that what it is? I knew I saw it somewhere.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i like your work doctor

iphone 4:
more samples

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
extremely cool poo poo echi

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

post some links to the software and tutorials and stuff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

extremely cool poo poo echi

thanks brother

axolotl farmer posted:

post some links to the software and tutorials and stuff

blender.org
luxrender.net

the tutorials is me trawling forums trying to pick poo poo up and reading the manuals and using my "creative prowess" lmao

if anyone has cool ideas I might executre them if I find time. i can't thnk of anyting new myself

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

render a dick and balls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking, instead of projecting the light from the logo onto a background, I project it on to a very thin scattering volume with a higgh scattering rate, it would look similar but then I could have an alpha channel on it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BONGHITZ posted:

render a dick and balls

now see theres my problem. im poo poo on the modelling side of things. maybe i could give it a go.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Doc Block posted:

there's an elasticity coefficient that determines how "bouncy" the particles are when they hit each other. the higher the number, the less energy they lose when they collide. for that simulation it was 0.05, which is pretty low. 0.0 = no elasticity, so if a particle were to hit, say, the ground, it wouldn't bounce at all, whereas a particle with 1.0 elasticity would bounce forever.

they're also "bouncy" because of the way the physics system works. it's a discrete step solver, meaning it moves each particle just a little bit according to its velocity and direction, then checks for collisions, deals with those collisions (calculating new velocities and directions, etc.), then moves the particles a little again, and so on.

a consequence of this is that particles can wind up overlapping after the move portion of each step, and if that happens they get forced apart until they stop overlapping, which can cause them to then overlap with different particles on the next step, in turn causing a cascade of particles overlapping and then being forced apart, which is part of the reason there's the big *POOF* of particles in that simulation.

but i came up with an even cooler one, but which suffers pretty badly from a combination of bouncy particles and the aforementioned overlap cascade:

i wasn't really sure what to expect with that one (~45 minutes to simulate & render), and was hoping for something like the effect at the end of each level in Doom where it would just slide down the screen and come apart, but this was pretty :laffo:

that's loving awesome

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
rod rocket

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah what happened to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i started like the 5th iteration after deciding that I needed to simplify significantly if I ever wanted to finish it at all. but then I remembered all the cool things I had done that werent in this one. and I couldnt make up my mind abuot things or get things looking the way I wanted because I am terrible at 3d modelling. i have tumblr blogged about my intentions lots but they never pan out

and then ther is the simply fact that the indie game market is so incredibly saturated, and there is virtually no way to make any money off it, and it takes a lot of time and effort to finish a game, and just so no one will ever play it? i have more fun making it and so I just came to a point where when it wasnt fun anymore, I gave up, because finishing it for the sake of it seems a bit pointless

im still proud of what I managed to ahcieve

• Locked thread