Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

gently caress newfangled led-based stage lighting that puts out a bunch of narrow colour bands that play havoc with camera sensors. I'm mad as hell :mad:

/makes pics black & white as a Hail Mary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DNova posted:

one of you nerds should make me a sw8 rendering of total internal reflectance in a parallelogram with some dimensions I can specify after I shake you down for your lunch money

bring it

NoneMoreNegative posted:

gently caress newfangled led-based stage lighting that puts out a bunch of narrow colour bands that play havoc with camera sensors. I'm mad as hell :mad:

/makes pics black & white as a Hail Mary.

sucks for you but interesting overall

sensors will need to get beta

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh so I made a parallelogram and threw some light at it. dispersion dawgs

there is this thing called cauchy and its a value and if you put it at one it disperses liek fuckin mad. its not the same as IOR, i think its more, how does a change in IOR affect different wavelengths.

anyway, i cranked that value and then animated the IOR. this is just a quick min/frame render. its somewhat unimpressive

and a bit bigger but still noisy as poo poo

currently constructing an animation of the parallelogram spinning on the through the page axis over 120 frames.. a minute per frame is noisy as poo poo but still 2 hours total lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont know the phenomenom where a small bandwidth of wavelengths is reflected off at the top but those colours are nice

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

echinopsis posted:

eh so I made a parallelogram and threw some light at it. dispersion dawgs

there is this thing called cauchy and its a value and if you put it at one it disperses liek fuckin mad. its not the same as IOR, i think its more, how does a change in IOR affect different wavelengths.

anyway, i cranked that value and then animated the IOR. this is just a quick min/frame render. its somewhat unimpressive

and a bit bigger but still noisy as poo poo

currently constructing an animation of the parallelogram spinning on the through the page axis over 120 frames.. a minute per frame is noisy as poo poo but still 2 hours total lol.

That's good as hell.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Your creative endeavors loving own. Make more of them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im setting up an overnight render atm. shame i can't rope my gpu into doing this poo poo for me i'd get a much nicer result. thanks for the positive

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is how nice it gets overnight

I posted this one the first post but I left it rendering for another half day on top of that. still a bit of noise on the inside of the prism and i dont know whats going on with the big blue dot but its smooth

wish i had a render farm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cranked up the scattering on the inside of the parallelogram.. you can visualise the light splitting a bit easier BUT coz its scattering it's losing fidelty in doing so. welp

noisy as poo poo too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the abruptness is not what i was expecting

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

echinopsis posted:

the abruptness is not what i was expecting

i actually like it. nice job

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
cool render, echo :toot:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doing a few stills from when the beam hits the point and it splits many ways, at different IORs

Sham bam bamina! posted:

cool render echo :toot:

thanks for readsing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a still.. the parallolgram had lots of noise so i used this thing where you can focus the samples but its made it look photoshoped or something

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Weekly reminder:

gently caress YOU ADOBE, YOUR poo poo IS GARBAGE

What, a new 2015 version of Photoshop etc? Ok. Wait where are my plugins? You're sunsetting the Extension Manager and it doesn't work with the new version?

FYAYSIG

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

echinopsis posted:

a still.. the parallolgram had lots of noise so i used this thing where you can focus the samples but its made it look photoshoped or something

really digging the move from triangle--> parallelogram. keep it up! :cheers:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
next up -> pentagram????

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://gfycat.com/CelebratedBackAfricanpiedkingfisher

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the cool red flash part is where the IOR goes <1

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm trying to learn ~*photography*~ beyond just taking pictures of friends and stuff but I'm not very good at it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this poo poo so desperately needs retrowave music over it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

akadajet posted:

I'm trying to learn ~*photography*~ beyond just taking pictures of friends and stuff but I'm not very good at it

naw these are p. nice and certainly have more worth than all the tittypics I shoot.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

KoRMaK posted:

"the problem with this corn is that there isn't any poop around it"

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

the cool red flash part is where the IOR goes <1
IOR?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
index of refraction

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

post in the dorkroom with the other few of us. we need new blood

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 396 days!
i'll be posting in/around/all over this thread. for an example of the smaller idiot projects i do, peep the sig

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fu8ck yea

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

post in the dorkroom with the other few of us. we need new blood

May do that more soon. My parents are sending me their old film camera stuff and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TRON JEREMY posted:

i'll be posting in/around/all over this thread. for an example of the smaller idiot projects i do, peep the sig

i love teh satan deer as your teapot

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

TRON JEREMY posted:

I like how the little halo appears like poof

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"the problem with this corn is that there isn't any poop around it"
i understand that you may disagree but maybe i should be more specific

whatever this is, lay it over this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9_rgoX14A

music on this isnt great but i like what they are trying to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0kg80jAtI8

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
yeah it's garbage for hipsters who think that actual cheesy '80s music wasn't smarmily self-conscious enough

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

May do that more soon. My parents are sending me their old film camera stuff and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

That polaroid 100 land camera is one of the best of its series. You can still buy film for it, Fuji FP-100c on amazon or most camera stores that sell film (B&H if you live in the states). You *will* need to convert the battery compartment to accept 3xAAA batteries because the 4.5V ones it uses are obsolete. There are a million guides online on how to do this. There's an instant film thread in dorkroom you can post about it there too.

That canon isn't much to look at compared to other vintage cameras from the 80s but it has all the features you'd need. Buy some Kodak Portra 400 and you'll be set.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Amazon sells the 4.5v, already got one delivered. Waiting on the film and camera to get here.

As far as the canon goes I'll probably look for some FD mount primes for it. My father tells me he regrets not going with the canon lenses.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was gonna mention you can still ge the 4.5V's but they are expensive and no idea how long they last.

Anyway FD primes are some of the cheapest you can get for vintage cameras. Check out KEH.com, it's a used camera gear consignment store. I was able to get a 28mm f2.8, 135mm f3.5 and a 50mm f1.8 for about $100 all-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

echinopsis posted:

where does it look photoshopped? is it the dark spots in the middle of the prism?

• Locked thread