Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh no you're totally right I just mean in a hypothetical good/scary movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groovelord Neato posted:

could be if you made the person disappear layer by layer and in unequal ways.
Sally Impossible, except she ends up being able to turn entirely invisible eventually? Actually, maybe turn it on its head and have her eventual resting state be invisible, and have her being able to turn visible be her power, and one that actually requires her to focus on maintaining it. Daydreams making you look like a zombie/anatomy lesson would at least make The Thing a bit less of the odd duck out in terms of getting hosed by their new abilities.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 19, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Chairman Capone posted:

I can't keep track of how many times I've seen press releases and reviews talk about how the Winter Soldier was "a 70's political conspiracy movie"

I decided to see if this was accurate, because I see this bandied around quite a bit. So I decided to take 10 minutes and do a little research.

The press releases never say anything about it being a "70s political thriller". I only read the filming commencing, film release date, and blu-ray release date press releases but all of them refer to "a web of intrigue" or "a shadowing organization". That's it.

I scanned 10 reviews (a mix of positive and negative) and only one said that it was a "70s political thriller" (it was a lovely review btw). The rest called it some variant on a spy/superhero movie, when they deigned to mention the genre at all.

I read 4 interviews with the directors and they refer to it a couple of times as a "political thriller" or "conspiracy thriller" or a "taut thriller" but never as a 70s political thriller specifically. So I was kinda confused as to where this idea got started.

Then I hit the motherload when I swung by the Wikipedia page. Kevin Feige is pretty much the guy you're talking about, he wouldn't stop running his mouth about this:

quote:

We hired our directors on Cap because they loved our explanation that we really want to make a '70s political thriller masquerading as a big superhero movie. Just like with the first film – we got Joe Johnston because we said, 'We want to do a '40s World War II movie masquerading as a big superhero movie.'

quote:

In our attempt to make all of our films feel unique and feel different we found ourselves going back to things like [Three Days of the Condor]. Also the other political thrillers of the '70s: The Parallax View, All the President's Men. This was a time that Cap existed in in the comics. He found himself in the swinging '60s followed by the Watergate Era followed by the Reagan Era followed by where we are today. In the comics it was a hell of a journey for Steve. And we couldn't take him through those years because in our cinematic universe he was asleep. But we wanted to force him to confront that kind of moral conundrum, something with that '70s flavor. And in our film that takes the form of S.H.I.E.L.D

So there you go. Your ire should be almost exclusively directed at Kevin Feige and the people who parroted him.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Chairman Capone posted:

I think even Marvel is still afraid of its movies being seen as too comic-booky, especially when it might be especially apparent. I can't keep track of how many times I've seen press releases and reviews talk about how the Winter Soldier was "a 70's political conspiracy movie" when it really has nothing of the sort, or Ant-Man being repeatedly talked about as "a heist movie", GOTG as a space opera homage to Star Wars, Thor as a mythic fantasy epic, the first Captain America as a WWII movie, etc. And at least in the case of Ant-Man a ton of the marketing revolved around them commenting on the dumb name (even using lines that weren't in the actual movie). Similarly even The Dark Knight, probably the most "serious" as well as most critically regarded comic movie, I remember being talked up on how it was inspired by Heat and other crime dramas.

TDK clearly cribs from Heat and GOTG has is an obvious Star Wars homage/tribute, but the rest I agree with.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 20, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, maybe turn it on its head and have her eventual resting state be invisible, and have her being able to turn visible be her power, and one that actually requires her to focus on maintaining it. Daydreams making you look like a zombie/anatomy lesson would at least make The Thing a bit less of the odd duck out in terms of getting hosed by their new abilities.

I suddenly really like this idea. Has it ever been used anywhere, or did you just now come up with that?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

tanglewood1420 posted:

TFK clearly cribs from Heat and GOTG has is an obvious Star Wars homage/tribute, but the rest I agree with.

Yeah, in the same way that Burton's Joker is a transformation of a particular style of mob movie gangster, Nolan's is specifically an outgrowth of a Michael Mann style professional criminal, and the opening bank job is an obvious homage.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

jivjov posted:

I suddenly really like this idea. Has it ever been used anywhere, or did you just now come up with that?
It's basically just taking Sally Impossible from Venture Brothers and fine-tuning her so the name Invisible Woman makes sense over Oh-My-God-What-Is-That Thing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sally Impossible, except she ends up being able to turn entirely invisible eventually? Actually, maybe turn it on its head and have her eventual resting state be invisible, and have her being able to turn visible be her power, and one that actually requires her to focus on maintaining it. Daydreams making you look like a zombie/anatomy lesson would at least make The Thing a bit less of the odd duck out in terms of getting hosed by their new abilities.

There's a character, Chrysalis, from George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards series that is essentially this. Portrayals of her either depict her with invisible skin and hair, so all you see is the underlying muscle, or a skeleton.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know this is probably the minority perspective, but given how poorly this film was received anyway, I think I would have preferred if they'd gone for a SF/Horror vibe and not even tried to be a superhero movie at first. Move the film along to get them their powers by the 30 minute mark, spend more of the movie messing with the alien universe of Planet Zero. Replace Doom with something like Annihilus as some creepy alien metal bug monster that ends up doing the whole Doom killing a bunch of people thing and has to be stopped.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So there you go. Your ire should be almost exclusively directed at Kevin Feige and the people who parroted him.

"Exclusively" for Kevin Feige, overseer of literally all the Marvel movies. That obscure nobody.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

"Exclusively" for Kevin Feige, overseer of literally all the Marvel movies. That obscure nobody.

Uh, ok.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know this is probably the minority perspective, but given how poorly this film was received anyway, I think I would have preferred if they'd gone for a SF/Horror vibe and not even tried to be a superhero movie at first. Move the film along to get them their powers by the 30 minute mark, spend more of the movie messing with the alien universe of Planet Zero. Replace Doom with something like Annihilus as some creepy alien metal bug monster that ends up doing the whole Doom killing a bunch of people thing and has to be stopped.

it's kinda funny because yeah a lot of the time these movies don't work is partly because of trying to make something grimdark but it looks to me like if they went whole hog David Cronenberg's Fantastic Four we coulda got a cool movie

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's kinda funny because yeah a lot of the time these movies don't work is partly because of trying to make something grimdark but it looks to me like if they went whole hog David Cronenberg's Fantastic Four we coulda got a cool movie

I would also have liked to see the script with Herbie and Moleman. Really you've got to commit all the way to something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Calico Heart posted:

WEIRD goddamn news guys. As much as we poo poo on Trank and the script, the original script for the movie ACTUALLY WAS zany and fun;

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/08/18/what-was-fantastic-four-like-before-simon-kinberg

Goddamn Moleman and a Flying loving car were originally in this morbid turd. I mean, it still sounds like a train wreck, but at least it woulda been an interesting one :jerky:

Wow, this would've been really cool. And it's a perfect "mystery" intro for Galactus, who could take up the entirety of the third movie (Doom takes second) along with Silver Surfer. Kind of a bummer.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Calico Heart posted:

WEIRD goddamn news guys. As much as we poo poo on Trank and the script, the original script for the movie ACTUALLY WAS zany and fun;

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/08/18/what-was-fantastic-four-like-before-simon-kinberg

Goddamn Moleman and a Flying loving car were originally in this morbid turd. I mean, it still sounds like a train wreck, but at least it woulda been an interesting one :jerky:
The fantasticar was in the third Fantastic Four movie already. It had a hemi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2-42lzYdU

That said, yes that script does sound a lot more interesting than "everyone goes to a barren wasteland -> everyone is working for the government one year later"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Wow, that draft actually feels like it works very well. I can't tell from the article if there has been verification that this is an early draft or not, though.

With the comment of it feeling very much like a Marvel movie, it makes me almost think that this could potentially turn into a MCU movie origin with just the slightest of retooling should Fox decide not to continue with the franchise.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tim knows what's up (Ant-Man and F4 starts like 6:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgoanR8BAMA

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 10, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Tim knows what's up (Ant-Man and F4 starts like 6:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgoanR8BAMA

? Is he playing a part in this, like usual, or being weirdly honest? It's not like their usual goofy stuff.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

effectual posted:

? Is he playing a part in this, like usual, or being weirdly honest? It's not like their usual goofy stuff.

He's playing a part. The humor in On Cinema is dry as a bone so it's hard to tell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I watched this tonight, it was interesting to watch the movie and then go back and watch the trailers and count up just how much got cut from the movie at the last moment. It is a lot. The biggest issue I had with Fantastic Four was how short it was, it felt like so much was cut from the movie, which confirms the rumors that indeed a lot of the film was cut at the last minute.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

effectual posted:

I mean he's not wrong. MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISS.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Earlier in this thread I posted that it would likely close at $70mil domestically, but I doubt it'll even reach $60 mil at this point. It's only at $54, and already playing in the second run theaters.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was just thinking about this recently, but I'm still thinking once the MCU, X-Men, Spidey and DCCU have had their franchises and styles going for a few more years, I'm getting the feeling that F4, even in its current state, will have a reappraisal.

I mention in another thread that it has way too many problems to be good, but just like something like Frankenstein or Dracula are considered a 'horror', they have generated a lot of content based directly on them that have just taken the characters, setting or idea and become something wildly different while still being sort of 'true' to the source. We've gotten movies focusing more on being comedies, dramas, romances, and even some superhero-styled adventures out of them. It's like it really close to putting the superhero aspect of the story away and exploring something different based on the concept/characters.

In a few years, after the superhero formula has ran and ran and ran, maybe there will be people who will say the failure of execution and performance of the film, coupled with the Marvel/DCCU shared universes, prevented makers of comic book movies from similarly having the chance to take established literary characters like those in the comics and explore them from an atypical angle.

I've been thinking about this movie a bit though, and this has been sort of the Summer of films I found disappointing, but that I oddly didn't hate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

effectual posted:

The longball is that Tim's full of himself because he's now a movie star, also, he's needling Gregg about his cameo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In the weeks immediately before Fant4stic hit cinemas Kevin Smith released the first three installments of a long-rear end podcast interview with Josh Trank about the movie and basically spent the entire time fellating him about how awesome the film was going to be. Part four was supposed to be posted after the film came out. I don't listen to Smith's podcasts but I was talking to someone about Fant4stic and they recommended those particular podcasts to me so I briefly checked them out and then forgot all about them. I remember thinking at the time "Huh, I wonder if they'll even bother posting part 4 of the interview?"

Something reminded me of them so I just went and checked if he actually did post that fourth installment and it turns out he and Trank mutually decided not to bother. :v: But Smith did post a podcast about how unfair all the reviews were on the film.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
To be fair, I don't think the movie is as bad as many of the reviewers said. It's not good, but a lot of the "This movie is so terrible it gave me cancer" stuff struck me as overly hyperbolic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MisterBibs posted:

To be fair, I don't think the movie is as bad as many of the reviewers said. It's not good, but a lot of the "This movie is so terrible it gave me cancer" stuff struck me as overly hyperbolic.

It seems to share the fate of Constantine, where in a few years people will go "yeah I guess it was decent for what it was going for".

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

computer parts posted:

It seems to share the fate of Constantine, where in a few years people will go "yeah I guess it was decent for what it was going for".

Constantine was a weirdly executed mess, but it had a great many interesting and fun parts to it. The new FF movie is weirdly executed and very dull. Unless what they were going for was " boring", I don't think that's going to be a popular sentiment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DangerDummy! posted:

Constantine was a weirdly executed mess, but it had a great many interesting and fun parts to it.

This really wasn't the consensus before a few years ago.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

computer parts posted:

I always liked Constantine but I'm easily swayed by distinctive visuals and style. I knew why comic fans didn't like it and I knew why a lot of non-comic fans didn't like it but I had a ton of fun with it and appreciation for it.

F4 is, I think, too disjointed to even reach that kind of appreciation. The seams are too visible and the wasted potential too obvious. There are absolutely cool moments and good scenes, though. The body horror and Doom's murder walk deserved to be in a better movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's apples and oranges, really. Constantine got mixed reviews, not unanimously bad ones, and was actually a financial success no matter what fans may have thought. Speaking of which, I think Hellblazer was too niche of a franchise to cultivate the same level of panning or infamy. People think the Fantastic Four is niche? Well you gotta be a pretty big Alan Moore or Vertigo fan to start going off on any "Not my Constantine!" spiels.

Also, you gotta consider the context of the times. Even back in 2005 (which, incidentally, is when the Tim Story FF came out), comic book films were still a grab bag. Some where good, some were bad, some were faithful, some weren't, and that's just the way it was. Constantine, for better or for worse, was pretty indicative of the times and circumstances it was made in; even if a lot of people really hate it, there's still an undercurrent of acceptance towards it as well. Like, "Well, whatcha gon' do? Filmmakers at the time just can't help but make stuff like this. It's just the cards we were dealt. It least it wasn't LXG."

Trank's FF, on the other hand, came out at a time when anticipation for good, faithful, successful comic book films are at a steady high, even from a studio (Fox) that had previously released many of the duds. In most people's minds there's no reason it should've turned out the way it did and, in fact, we have a pretty good idea of who and what exactly to blame for it turning out the way it did. That makes it an easy target. People will be saying "Well, it least it wasn't Fantastic Four" about any failed comics adaptations for years to come.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Doom's murder walk deserved to be in a better movie.

It was, Akira. :v:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is from a few months ago, but seems to be a pretty good summary of what happened to cause FF to go so off the rails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-jtbI-w7oY

I hadn't heard before about Trank being locked out of the editing process, or the studio taking away one of the special effects people and cutting three whole action scenes.

It seems like every time I hear more about the behind the scenes stuff with this movie the weirder it is that everyone seems to blame Trank.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Script for the movie had over 18 drafts, and apparently they were alright up until around 12

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

computer parts posted:

It doesn't come close what it was obviously going for though, thats the irritating thing about it. Its a slow first act for a hypothetical dark and gritty FF that might have even been good, followed by a cut to the lovely third act for an awful marvel studios lite FF. No second act.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I always liked Constantine but I'm easily swayed by distinctive visuals and style. I knew why comic fans didn't like it and I knew why a lot of non-comic fans didn't like it but I had a ton of fun with it and appreciation for it.

F4 is, I think, too disjointed to even reach that kind of appreciation. The seams are too visible and the wasted potential too obvious. There are absolutely cool moments and good scenes, though. The body horror and Doom's murder walk deserved to be in a better movie.

Or in a nutshell, Constantine was extremely well-directed, even if it was a pretty big departure from the source material and the trailers were a little weird.

I've not seen FF, but I've heard no suggestions that it's at all well-directed.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jivjov posted:

Dunno about that particular example, but in at least one Legion of Super Heroes iteration Giant Boy is an actual giant boy from a planet of giant people with the power to shrink down to 'normal' height.

Weird power-reversals like that are kind of neat IMO.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess we should note here that Fox quietly changed the release date for the proposed F4 sequel from June 9, 2017 to "TBA" a few weeks ago.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I dream of Dooms that could have been :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

According to the article the film earned "just $167 million globally on a budget of $120 million." So even factoring in marketing and distribution costs, the film at least broke even. I suspect that means that FOX won't be relinquishing the F4 rights to Marvel anytime soon.

• Locked thread