Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

second-hand smegma posted:

Currently reading Snatch comics by R. Crumb and eagerly awaiting the miniseries.

That one would be so much better as an HBO series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Oh yeah I totally forgot about that rear end in a top hat teacher :lol: "I can't understand this science so it must be MAGIC. F!!!!!"

Part of me wonders if the early scenes were studio mandated add-ins but nah, no way, Eric Wareheim was an important part of the director's vision!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

computer parts posted:

Someone said it earlier more or less but this movie sounds a lot like Alien 3 and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we got a director's cut of sorts that makes it better but still not that great.

Alien 3 was directed by David Fincher and is still in a mostly beloved series which probably has a lot to do with how it got that revisiting. I'd be surprised if Trank and this movie got the same goodwill.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
How do you cast Reg E Cathey in a movie with DOOM and then not have him voice DOOM?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The funny thing is, as the movie goes on his voice actually winds down. By the end he's basically doing an insulting Michael Caine impression.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

massive spider posted:

Alien 3 was directed by David Fincher and is still in a mostly beloved series which probably has a lot to do with how it got that revisiting. I'd be surprised if Trank and this movie got the same goodwill.

I don't think Fincher publicly trashed Alien 3 until years after the fact, either. You can get away with making an unsuccessful film in Hollywood, but they'll never forgive anything that actively interferes with the film making money.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Black Lighter posted:

I don't think Fincher publicly trashed Alien 3 until years after the fact, either. You can get away with making an unsuccessful film in Hollywood, but they'll never forgive anything that actively interferes with the film making money.

Even with Trank trashing it so soon, if he directs a movie or two in the future that either make $$$ or are massive critical darlings I'm sure Fox will do a re-release. Alien was already a beloved franchise but even without that, with Fincher becoming such a big name I think that played a big role in the Alien 3 work print being released, the beloved franchise part just ensured completed effects for things like the shot of baby alien running away. Fincher wasn't involved with Alien 3's re-release or re-editing at all beyond giving it his approval as the best thing that could be done with what was shot.

Plus even when the movie was being made...
http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1102

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 11, 2015

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I haven't seen the movie but of those two trailers posted a little while back the first looks far more interesting to me, the second seems muddled and forced.

I quite liked Chronicle and I'm a fan of Teller/Jordan so I was really hoping this wouldn't suck. Ah well. A 26m opening weekend is abysmal even given the apparent quality though, you'd think a superhero movie would at least win the first weekend on release.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
If you thought this movie was going to be any good from the trailers I honestly don't know what to tell you except that I envy your naive optimism. I went to see this with a friend who is also a huge comic book nerd, who thought the break from the mold offered a glimpse of hope that there might actually be a worthwhile Fantastic Four experience in cinema.

It did not.

What the movie DID offer was a great riffing experience (sorry to whatever theatergoers we bothered, but PLANET ZERO), though it did give the slightest glimpse of pathos in the guilt Reed felt over robbing his friends (especially Ben) of their "normal" lives. I mean, that's a story that was old when I was born, but Miles and Jamie did a really good job of selling their friendship: too bad it was rail-roaded by the time break and immediately abandoned in the bizarrely graphic Doom escape. The climax felt so rushed we both had to check the time, but we'd really been in the theater for over an hour at that point, and so as far as plots go it was right on schedule.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Grendels Dad posted:

Green Arrow on TV is amazing you philistine!

Green Arrow is actually consistently hilarious. I never thought a TV show could remain so-bad-it's-good for so long

Neo Rasa posted:

Even with Trank trashing it so soon, if he directs a movie or two in the future that either make $$$

I doubt Josh Trank will ever get big bucks to make a blockbuster again. The lesson studios have taken away is "Josh Trank can't work within the system".

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 11, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Heey, how could anyone not be cool with the :psyboom:
I thought it was pretty intense in a Scanners/Akira/whatever sort of way.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Heey, how could anyone not be cool with the :psyboom:
I thought it was pretty intense in a Scanners/Akira/whatever sort of way.

It worked for Hannibal Lecter, not so much the glowing green duct-tape mummy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Four Score posted:

It worked for Hannibal Lecter, not so much the glowing green duct-tape mummy

poo poo, I just realised who he reminded me of: Mumm-Ra from goddamned Thundercats

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Four Score posted:

What the movie DID offer was a great riffing experience (sorry to whatever theatergoers we bothered, but PLANET ZERO)
You were upset about the goofy name Planet Zero in a story about Dr. Doom?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It was all right up until they decided to just abandon any interesting storylines and cram in a weird, rushed, generic finale.

What an odd decision by the studio. I can't imagine the third act before reshoots was worse, and if it was I really want to see it.

Like someone said earlier, it really feels like a workprint.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love that Doom's motivation in the end pretty much boiled down to 'gently caress YOU DAD MILITARY, STAY OUT OF MY ROOM PLANET!' :qq:
And the FF combined their mighty powers - Reed's super genius and stretching, Sue's ability to discern any pattern and force field battering rams, Ben's military training and strength, Johnny's speed and flames and flight - and put all that together into their masterful strategy of "distract Doom and then push him over"

Like everyone else is saying, I'm really curious to find out what Trank originally had in mind for the ending.

Surlaw posted:

You were upset about the goofy name Planet Zero in a story about Dr. Doom?

His surname is von Doom and he has a PhD, what else is he supposed to call himself? :colbert:

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Four Score posted:

What the movie DID offer was a great riffing experience (sorry to whatever theatergoers we bothered, but PLANET ZERO)

Please tell us these surely hilarious quips!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Planet Zero? More like IMDB rating five point zero!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Victor von ....... DUMB haha

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah next time you feel like a sci-fi story is trying too hard to give its planet a cool name, remember that all but one planet in our own solar system is named after a dead god of an ancient empire.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

poo poo, I just realised who he reminded me of: Mumm-Ra from goddamned Thundercats

I kept seeing Bicentennial Man with hoodless Doom and it kept cracking me up.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ha, I remember an Empire article on the behind-the-scenes strife from back when the movie came out. It made Fincher look like an utter clown, and of course the movie ended up being no great shakes. So Seven was a very pleasant surprise :)

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Harime Nui posted:

Part of me wonders if the early scenes were studio mandated add-ins but nah, no way, Eric Wareheim was an important part of the director's vision!

I'll have you know that was Tim Heidecker, the more 'Richards' of the two.

I'm also in the boat in that I hope this movie gets some sort of directors cut, but seeing how Trank's been reacting so far makes it seem kind of unlikely.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Even with Trank trashing it so soon, if he directs a movie or two in the future that either make $$$ or are massive critical darlings I'm sure Fox will do a re-release.

Even before this tanked, he already got himself fired from directing the Boba Fett movie, not sure how many big studios are going to be willing to work with him after that combination.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I didn't hate this movie, I actually really liked a lot of it, but then the moment the group separates, and Ben and Johnny are military pawns, the movie turns to complete dogshit. Also yeah, Kate Mara's obvious wig in the re-shot scenes was distracting as gently caress.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Producer 1: We're making a Fantastic Four movie. What have we learned in the 16 years since X-Men blew up the comic book movie trend?

Producer 2: People really loved Spider-man!

Producer 3: And the Avengers!

Producer 1: Excellent. Get me a script where scientists are nerds for 90 minutes then in the last five minutes there's a green metal man and a blue laser shooting into the sky and the team learns to work together. Those were clearly the elements that earned those films billions of dollars.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
So what you're saying is, the movie would be better if they swapped out the Fantastic Four for the Entourage guys?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

Even before this tanked, he already got himself fired from directing the Boba Fett movie, not sure how many big studios are going to be willing to work with him after that combination.

Yeah, I'm pretty skeptical that the studio destroyed a "good" film. If Disney stops by and cancels their deal with Trank based on what was going on I think it signals a truth to things not working out.

Makes me wonder if there has ever been a director's cut that actually made a bad film legitimately good. I know power have said Highlander 2 Renegade but that movie is still terrible, just tons less awful than the theatrical version. The Exorcist prequel thing was interesting and the original is better than Harlin's version, but it's still not very good and most of it feels like an Omen movie. The core idea is strong and it has a few really good scenes but the exorcism itself isn't very disturbing in execution or dialogue and the mass panic concept doesn't gel with the previous movies.

Are there really any game changing director's cuts?

Edit: it's a fun mental exercise thinking of the journey where Harlin gets brought in to fix select scenes of The Exorcist and it just spirals out of control until you have two uniquely shot movies. Maybe it all starts with "what if it was a woman instead of a boy?".

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 11, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kingdom of heaven

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

And according to Ebert, The Brown Bunny.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Blade Runner

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Producer 1: Excellent. Get me a script where scientists are nerds for 90 minutes then in the last five minutes there's a green metal man and a blue laser shooting into the sky and the team learns to work together. Those were clearly the elements that earned those films billions of dollars.
Even ignoring, for a moment, the extensive reshoots, this is the part that confuses me the most about what we ended up with from Fantastic Four. Do actors just not bother reading scripts? What could the non-edited version of act two or three have honestly looked like that would attract anyone to this project?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

oldpainless posted:

Kingdom of heaven
Everybody always says this but really the director's cut only elevates a bad film to a kinda okayish one. It's still not a movie that anyone would be talking about a week after seeing it and still likely wouldn't have been a "success" by Hollywood standards.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Ape Agitator posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty skeptical that the studio destroyed a "good" film. If Disney stops by and cancels their deal with Trank based on what was going on I think it signals a truth to things not working out.

Makes me wonder if there has ever been a director's cut that actually made a bad film legitimately good. I know power have said Highlander 2 Renegade but that movie is still terrible, just tons less awful than the theatrical version. The Exorcist prequel thing was interesting and the original is better than Harlin's version, but it's still not very good and most of it feels like an Omen movie. The core idea is strong and it has a few really good scenes but the exorcism itself isn't very disturbing in execution or dialogue and the mass panic concept doesn't gel with the previous movies.

Are there really any game changing director's cuts?

See, I think the opposite question is just as valid: Can anybody think of an example where a studio took a film away from the director and made a successful go of it? Because the failure rate would seem to be so high that the studios would be better off just going with the original work and making the best of it in marketing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Black Lighter posted:

See, I think the opposite question is just as valid: Can anybody think of an example where a studio took a film away from the director and made a successful go of it? Because the failure rate would seem to be so high that the studios would be better off just going with the original work and making the best of it in marketing.

Emperor's New Groove had some executive meddling in a positive direction.

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009
It is still amazing to me that this movie's opening weekend it seen as a abysmal failure, while it has earned about the same as Titanic, the second highest grossing movie of all time. Sure, there is inflation and all, but still...

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Black Lighter posted:

World War Z had extensive reshoots and outside writers were brought on to rewrite the entire third act. Say what you will about the final product but the film was ultimately successful as a more traditional summer blockbuster.

Confusion posted:

It is still amazing to me that this movie's opening weekend it seen as a abysmal failure, while it has earned about the same as Titanic, the second highest grossing movie of all time. Sure, there is inflation and all, but still...

Titanic was number 1 at the box office for 15 weeks straight and stayed in theaters for 10 months. No film ever again will likely perform like that especially not a mediocre to crappy comic book movie.

Two Kings fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 11, 2015

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

computer parts posted:

Emperor's New Groove had some executive meddling in a positive direction.

Fair, but animation also presents a really different case than live-action. By its nature, you're not working with the same kind of time constraints as you would if you had to keep things like actors' availabilities in mind. I'd imagine it's also much easier to draw new footage that gels with what's already there than to shoot it live.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Confusion posted:

And look at how much more it earned than Wizard of Oz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Black Lighter posted:

Most of the examples are studio-forced casting choices which in retrospect turn out to be far better than the director's choice. But that's a crapshoot because plenty of times the person forced in can be terrible. And there's more than a few examples of director's cuts being bloated and including really bad storylines with the caveat that many (most?) DCs are just non-director-driven padding to make home releases more attractive.

But studios often push for new endings which sometimes work out far better in the end. Army of Darkness and Final Destination spring to mind.

It's a crapshoot for when they hurt and when they help but filmmaking is a collaborative process and they sometimes, sometimes bring something to the table other than money and connections.

• Locked thread