Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The 'family values' stuff is a hastily-imposed illusion designed to disguise and repress their collective monstrosity. We can call ourselves a family and pretend there's nothing wrong.

This feels a little obvious for you. Everybody already knows that Fantastic Four is about being a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

computer parts posted:

subsequent movies

:smith:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

I liked Man of Steel but at the end I was bored of seeing a guy get punched through a skyscraper. Its a common trend with superhero movies. You know that for the most part everyone will live.

"You know that for the most part everyone will live" seems like an odd complaint to throw at a movie with as much raw destruction as Man of Steel.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

I will rephrase that to anyone who we care about.

I liked the army guy who had the nerve to pull a knife on a Kryptonian.

If the issue is that you knew the main character in an action movie would survive to the end, then you've presumably been unsatisfied with nearly every action movie ever made. I guess Neo dies at the end of the third Matrix movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

It's the zero possibility of them dying. Reason I like Jackie Chan more than Bruce Lee is that in his fights Jackie is one step away from getting his rear end kicked. Superman is Bruce Lee. So far ahead that he is unstoppable.

Superman is on his heels for much of both the Smallville fight and the Metropolis fight. There is, of course, zero possibility of him dying – it's a movie and he's the main character – but in the same way that we all know Jackie Chan is going to survive his rumble in the Bronx.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee both beat the poo poo out of a dozen guys at once. The difference is that Jackie starts the fight panicked-looking and saying "I don't want any trouble!" and maybe hits a big dude and winces in pain, shaking his hand and pantomiming hurt.

Yeah, and it's totally reasonable to value those displays of difficulty. But it's weird to fault Man of Steel for this when it shows Superman doing as badly as I can recall seeing without having to rely on Kryptonite. It's not Superman Returns where Superman calmly takes a bullet directly to the eyeball. In Man of Steel he repeatedly has to pull himself together after getting the poo poo kicked out of him: when Faora completely outclasses him in the IHOP, when Nam-Ek is slamming him into the street like a rag doll, when Zod hits him so hard he ends up floating upside-down in a daze, etc.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm just pointing out that it's tone. Despite his "I'm just a man" shtick, Batman is as immune to bullets as Spider-Man or Superman.

And yeah Man of Steel Superman is just continuously getting his rear end kicked. Whenever he rallies the situation almost immediately reverses itself and he's back to being a punching bag. There's a great scene where he goes OFF on Nam-Ek and punches him into a trainyard - a few moments later a locomotive comes sailing back and smashes him through a building. There's no "untouchableness" here. To be honest that's the sensation I got from the Dr. Doom hallway sequence.

I meant the "but it's weird..." bit in relation to the other guy, not you, to be clear.

And, yeah, that's exactly what's going on in the hallway sequence. Doom is so derealized that ordinary reality can't touch him anymore. Though I think that works well in this case because he's the villain, so him coming across as untouchable heightens the stakes. I'm really curious what the group did to take him down in the original version of the movie, before they replaced it with that godawful Planet Zero segment.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Drifter posted:

The loss in a Superman movie is all the people who are not invulnerable. In MoS, Superman won, but he wasn't untouched, as the bodies and buildings clearly showed.

And the guy clearly "gets mad." He ends up screaming in rage in all his major battles.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Except in Superman II, where he flies away in consternation and later smugly crushes bones and throws fools to their death.

I'm talking about specifically Man of Steel, which was derided as lacking consequences, but has Superman losing his cool repeatedly, which was used as an example of consequences being felt in Superman: The Movie.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 18, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

Make it cause you want to make a good movie not just so Marvel can't get the rights back.

Or, if you're going to do it so that Marvel can't get the rights back, just let your indie director make his weirdo movie. It's not like it could have performed worse than what they ended up with. Use it as an excuse to make an actual mid-budget superhero movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Instead of a comic book movie that is trying to redecorate itself as a sci-fi or action film in order to appeal to wider audiences who don't care about comic book characters, it seemed like it was a sci-fi movie that someone was trying to push superhero motifs to fit in with the new normal of comic book movies being successful and accepted.

Yes, very much so. Even in the good parts of the movie, you can feel it being a comic book adaptation working against it. There's this great horror to Reed, Ben, and Johnny's transformations, then there's Sue turning invisible. No way if it wasn't forced to fit the Fantastic Four mold that she wouldn't have something more evocative.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

massive spider posted:

Turning invisible can be unsettling done right. Like the character in Misfits who does it without realising, going from no one seeing him because he's a spergy weirdo to literally no one seeing him at all.

Sure, but it's not really body horror.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm not saying that Slim Goodbody isn't creepy, just think it's a different level than Reed waking up stretched out on a rack. At the very least, it doesn't come across in the movie itself as being of a piece with the other guys.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

tanglewood1420 posted:

TFK clearly cribs from Heat and GOTG has is an obvious Star Wars homage/tribute, but the rest I agree with.

Yeah, in the same way that Burton's Joker is a transformation of a particular style of mob movie gangster, Nolan's is specifically an outgrowth of a Michael Mann style professional criminal, and the opening bank job is an obvious homage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, it feels like a movie you've discovered people have completely misjudged and then it veers straight into a ditch.

• Locked thread