Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Fantastic Four had an opening weekend gross of 11 million dollars on an apparent (though probably even higher) 120 million dollar budget and is projected to maybe make another 20 million before its run ends.

The Director committed career suicide this weekend tweeting that the movie was butchered and he's sorry it sucks. Fox has lost a hundred million dollars, and a franchise they were hoping to reboot is now completely dead. Any chance of a sequel or even the characters being sold for a big profit is now gone. What movie has done this much damage in recent memory?

How the gently caress does this happen? How is it possible there will be a bigger bomb than Mortdecai this year?

How does a 120 million dollar movie based on an existing popular comic IP at the height of the comic-movie trend that I've seen ads for on TV lose 110 million loving dollars? How do bombs like this happen?

Fair enough, they hired a director who had never worked with money before. Fair enough, the movie had a hellish production. Fair enough, Fox and nerds hated the casting. Fair enough, it went over-budget and they had to do months of reshoots. Fair enough, they re-edited the movie without the director weeks before release. Fair enough, the script was edited (again without the director knowing) a week before production began. Fair enough, the commercials weren't that great. Fair enough, the director himself tweeted an apology for the movie existing on opening weekend. Fair enough, the reviews were awful. Fair enough, the studio probably never believed in it in the first place and made it just to hold onto character rights.

All that combined doesn't spell "hundred-million dollar bomb" to me though - so what the gently caress happened here? Any goons know what could have caused this atomic bomb?

Anyone even seen it?

EDIT:

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Anonymous Robot posted:

This is purely anecdotal, so feel free to dismiss it out of hand, but literally everybody I'd ever talked to about the new Fantastic Four movie (prior to its release) had the reaction of "oh, that's going to bomb"/"why are they trying that again?" which makes me really wonder why they did. Like, I'm sure they were thirsting for that Marvel money, and maybe that blinded them, and they (maybe?) know more than me about what properties can be salvaged and how to sell a product, but in this case it just seems like it was a given fact that this film was going to be a disaster. I can't fathom how it ever got momentum with that kind of gloom hanging over it.

One of the things is in order to hang onto the rights, Fox needs to make a Fantastic Four movie every ten years (or something like that), hence the terrible cheap unreleased Corman movie in the 90's. It's likely the deadline was coming up and they figured they would rather go for it themselves than let the rights default back to Marvel. They probably figured Trank had made a superhero movie off a non-IP before for cheap and made money, so he could do it again.

Marvel even approached Fox offering to buy some of the cosmic characters (like galactus/silver surfer etc) from them and they said no.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

The thing is Marvel is usually pretty great at making people give a poo poo about characters they never gave a poo poo about before. Ten years ago nobody gave a gently caress about iron man or Thor or freaking Ant Man. I feel like maybe the trailers and marketing were the biggest factor but still - why does the general public have such an apathy towards the fantastic four? Lame powers? Nuclear family no longer resonant enough?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Drifter posted:

It made about 75% of its money outside the US.

The budget was around 170 million and it's made over 180.

Even considering what Random Stranger said, breaking even for a 170 million dollar movie is still considered bad in the business, even if it wasn't overseas and they made it all back.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 10, 2015

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Green Arrow on TV is amazing you philistine!

Green Arrow is actually consistently hilarious. I never thought a TV show could remain so-bad-it's-good for so long

Neo Rasa posted:

Even with Trank trashing it so soon, if he directs a movie or two in the future that either make $$$

I doubt Josh Trank will ever get big bucks to make a blockbuster again. The lesson studios have taken away is "Josh Trank can't work within the system".

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 11, 2015

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Planet Zero? More like IMDB rating five point zero!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

bullet3 posted:

Dredd is indeed great, but Marvel would never make a stripped down movie like that.

Guardians of the Galaxy, for all its praise, is still a movie about everyone chasing around a meaningless loving orb for 2 hours. The aesthetic/tone makes it feel slightly less cookie-cutter, but at the end of the day it's a nothing of a story.

Eh, while that's true I actually find that the characters, their interactions and the world are super cool, so in the end I actually cared about the stakes way more than any other Marvel movie.

Most every "classic" action movie is just people chasing around an orb for two hours, and if they're aren't they may as well be. Seriously character and action are the things that make action movies fun and memorable - I'm struggling to think of a single one where I thought the plot was especially great or even worth remembering.

Aces High posted:

This right here is one of the reasons I don't have as much enjoyment for the MCU. I love me some comicbooks but when I go to see a comicbook movie I think it will be its own thing. I know a lot of people got suuuuuper upset with DoFP because "uh where's Rachel? How are we going to go back in time without her?" and I knew that but at the same time I didn't care (there's other reasons for that, like how I'm not a huge fan of the Summers Clan but whatever) because they explained how the time-travel was going to work and it ended up working.

I feel like even for super hardcore Marvel nerds, the versions of these stories on the screen are so watered down (as in, they're way shorter, blander and aren't going to include any non-PG elements from the comics) that you wouldn't really be rewarded for knowing this poo poo anyway.

Personally I find the most irritating parts of these movies to be the fact that the writers are kind of hacks in that they think that "setting up a sequel" means "not resolving the story" (Winter Soldier I felt was the most groan-inducing example of this). Like, they could resolve every single dangling plot point and loose end in the entire universe and the next movie would still make 500 million.

JediTalentAgent posted:

One thing I think is sort of interesting is how sort of chaste the entire film feels, too. With Marvel movies there feels like a greater sexual, flirty or romantic tension going on between the characters, and this one I think the closest we get is Creepy Victor.

Eh, the Marvel movies to my recollection have been fairly chaste too - only kisses, never any making out or inferences of sex scenes. Closest thing to the flirty relationship is really just... Black Widow being paired off with a different dude every movie, which is actually kind of sad.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 14, 2015

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

The best example of a film opening poorly and becoming a hit I can think of is Sholay, which was a bollywood film that opened really poorly but word of mouth was SO GOOD it essentially became bollywood gone with the wind and ended up showing for years.

It's weird that when people talk about man of steel it's always about the horrible destruction at the end but not the awful pacing and editing. I seriously couldn't believe such a big budget movie had such horrific presentation.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

WEIRD goddamn news guys. As much as we poo poo on Trank and the script, the original script for the movie ACTUALLY WAS zany and fun;

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/08/18/what-was-fantastic-four-like-before-simon-kinberg

Goddamn Moleman and a Flying loving car were originally in this morbid turd. I mean, it still sounds like a train wreck, but at least it woulda been an interesting one :jerky:

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 19, 2015

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Script for the movie had over 18 drafts, and apparently they were alright up until around 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Wizchine posted:

According to the article the film earned "just $167 million globally on a budget of $120 million." So even factoring in marketing and distribution costs, the film at least broke even. I suspect that means that FOX won't be relinquishing the F4 rights to Marvel anytime soon.

Nope.

Studios only see a quarter of the money a movie earns internationally. So if a movie makes 70% of its money overseas, it's a huge failure. Hell, if F4 only made 50% of it's money overseas it'd be considered a failure.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We should maybe clarify to: Do they greenlight a cinematic sequel? I've seen a few cases where they've cranked out a few straight-to-DVD sequels just so they can hang onto the rights for a few more years, like those lovely Dungeons & Dragons movies.

Oftentimes a studio will greenlight a sequel for a film that did okay/made back/made just under budget, as sequels make money and they can keep the IP a little longer.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell maybe ....

Repeat after me: The net is a lie, always ask for the gross.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 14, 2015

• Locked thread