Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"Sorry Sue, we wanted to invite you, but we looked and didn't see you were around!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Despite the criticism of calling it Planet Zero, to me it seems like in some way it was just them wanting to keep the potential Negative Zone designation and design completely untouched for a sequel centered around that. Just like something such as Marvel doing a flick called "Thor: The Dark World", Fox doing a movie called "Fantastic Four: The Negative Zone"* sounds about right...

(*RT doesn't have that as the current ratings on this film yet, right?)

FF: TNZ sounds like it could be the title of a Cronenbergian other-dimensional SF/Horror flick.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I think a much bigger problem for Fox's limited property rights would be if they actually do make the next Wolverine movie be an adaptation of Old Man Logan because there's really no way to do that without the wider Avengers characters.

An Old Man Logan film in that case will sort of probably be like First Class, Age of Ultron, even DOFP, etc. where the title and the main concept are all they keep and massively change a lot of the story to make an original film. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't something like them just using some Mad Max sort of plot and having him protecting a very young Rachel or Nathan Summers or something in the wastelands/wilderness or something from the Brood or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I just got back from seeing the film and it's one of those things that it's nowhere near as bad as I was hearing it to be, but even with that it's sort of only manages to average out as okay. For the complaints about Clobberin' Time, I assumed we'd be seeing some really horrific sibling abuse and got a single, almost off camera, utterance of it and it came off as more just 'rear end in a top hat big brother' than anything else.

There feels like a really good movie in here. It'd be a very different, but potentially really interesting take, on a modern FF origin story, but the handling of the film feels so flat, muddled and inconsistent. It really feels like it's too many different films at one time and if it could focus itself on something, it might have struck gold. It's very flat feeling, the ideas have potential but the execution feels very forced, the characters never really get any development and nearly every major moment feels unearned.

This movie is a script doctor's dream come to life, there felt like there were so many missed opportunities to flesh out the stories to make everything maybe gel a bit better. I didn't HATE the movie, but I feel like I should.

One thing I think is sort of interesting is how sort of chaste the entire film feels, too. With Marvel movies there feels like a greater sexual, flirty or romantic tension going on between the characters, and this one I think the closest we get is Creepy Victor. I guess that's a new deviation to the traditional FF origins: Rather than a Younger Sue growing up around and attracted to an Older Reed, it's now an Older Victor who grew attracted to a Younger Sue who grew up around him.

Edit: It's also devoid of almost any humor compared to the Marvel movies, too, at all until the final 2 minutes.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 14, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

Eh, the Marvel movies to my recollection have been fairly chaste too - only kisses, never any making out or inferences of sex scenes. Closest thing to the flirty relationship is really just... Black Widow being paired off with a different dude every movie, which is actually kind of sad.

That's why I sort of mentioned further romantic developments, too. It's sort of strangely lacking in the even the more overt will they/won't they romantic development subplot points of just about every other comic film in the last decade or so. It's a film where any semblance of romantic affection or attraction just seems oddly absent when compared to everything else that's come out.

Or maybe it's so underplayed in the film that it's TOO underplayed. Reed and Sue getting along as friends, but there's almost nothing that feels like they've got any spark or chemistry with one another.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The science fair scene really feels like more a placeholder that they kept in because they couldn't think of a better time/place to get Reed involved with Mr. Storm. I keep thinking you could have just have easily moved the film ahead from Ben/Reed as kids to immediately being young adult Reed moving into the Baxter Foundation and not really lost anything and sort of left a bit of Reed and Ben through the last 8-10 years up to the audience's imagination.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Some of the stuff with them pissed off because they aren't being allowed to be the first through could have probably been given something more if the film had spent some time building up the notion more through the film than a single line or two. Like if we saw more of the development of the environmental suits being custom tailored for them with the understanding THEY were going to be part of the first exploration team, Ben helping Reed train to get into shape to pass physical tests, developing plans for the expedition, a few more assurances that they'd be able to go from the gov't guy, something. A notion in their minds that this was more akin to their Wright Brothers moment, the chance at being given the risk as a reward.

I can sort of see Reed's arc and maybe his motivations: He's wanting to prove he's right, he's wanting to prove to his former teachers and friends and family that he's NEVER been the joke they thought he was. Reed's arc in the movie feels almost more like that of someone like Doom should have had.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
They needed to have a fast food tie in with Burger King. ("It's Whopperin' TIME!") or Marie Callenders ("It's Cobblerin' TIME!").

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Does Fox have to make specifically Fantastic Four films to keep the rights, or can they take liberties with the films they make with the characters?

To throw out a thought, would Fox maybe have a chance at reviving interest in the franchise if they pulled a "First Class/Origins: Magneto" thing with Doctor Doom? You can build up in the course of a film the mythos and mythology of Victor Von Doom on his journey that ultimately ends up with him becoming the infamous Doctor Doom, having him living in a world that is already full of the fantastic of arcane magic and science before cosmic rays or teleporter accidents. Some sort of tragic Citizen Kane/Darth Vader arc or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I figure as much. There was that talk a while back that Sony had some crazy interest in an Aunt May movie for some reason, as well as their Sinister Six movie. If those were thought of as possibilities, a Doom-centric origin film seems like it could work, as well. There seems to be a lot of media out there right now that follow sort of bad guy protagonists.

Doom being a sort of an evil Iron Man central character that can maybe keep some interest in the Fox franchises going as a character who even devoid of the FF shows the power, ambition and experiences that make him not just a rival to the FF, but to a wider universe of characters that potentially co-exist with them.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

As an aside, I think you just proved what someone said about the Fantastic Four: they have only two potential gets-butts-in-seats stories: their origin story and Galactus/Silver Surfer.

Outside Galactus, none of those other villains would elicit anything other than a :confused: reaction in most people. Superhero movies attract people with their villain as much as their hero, and the FF property lacks a variety of villains that interest your audience. You've got Doom and Galactus.

The way FF shakes out reminds me a lot of Green Lantern, film wise. A property that has cache within a niche, but niche enough that the mainstream audiences doesn't have much built-in interest in it.

I think one thing with some comic book movies is that it's still sort of a niche for some audiences that tell them they will or won't be into it.

The following is a bit hard for me to articulate, but I'll try: I think with some comic book movies, before the big 'boom' really hit with the Marvel movies, they were maybe sold more easily as SF or action films rather than being extremely pushed as comic book properties. Iron Man, Hulk, even Thor and X-Men could be promoted and made as less superhero comic book films and more just sci-fi actioners, as opposed to something like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man.

Selling the property as a SF or action movie rather than a comic book movie perhaps makes the sale go down a little easier to wider audiences. I sort of think that's one issue with the Trank FF. They were sort of stripping out the comic bookiness of the property and trying to make it a more an all-around SF film. Instead of a comic book movie that is trying to redecorate itself as a sci-fi or action film in order to appeal to wider audiences who don't care about comic book characters, it seemed like it was a sci-fi movie that someone was trying to push superhero motifs to fit in with the new normal of comic book movies being successful and accepted. In a lot of ways, though, the more I think of it the more it does sort of remind me of something like an 80s SF movie, which given the Cronenberg talk I guess makes some sense.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I know this is probably the minority perspective, but given how poorly this film was received anyway, I think I would have preferred if they'd gone for a SF/Horror vibe and not even tried to be a superhero movie at first. Move the film along to get them their powers by the 30 minute mark, spend more of the movie messing with the alien universe of Planet Zero. Replace Doom with something like Annihilus as some creepy alien metal bug monster that ends up doing the whole Doom killing a bunch of people thing and has to be stopped.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Wow, that draft actually feels like it works very well. I can't tell from the article if there has been verification that this is an early draft or not, though.

With the comment of it feeling very much like a Marvel movie, it makes me almost think that this could potentially turn into a MCU movie origin with just the slightest of retooling should Fox decide not to continue with the franchise.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was just thinking about this recently, but I'm still thinking once the MCU, X-Men, Spidey and DCCU have had their franchises and styles going for a few more years, I'm getting the feeling that F4, even in its current state, will have a reappraisal.

I mention in another thread that it has way too many problems to be good, but just like something like Frankenstein or Dracula are considered a 'horror', they have generated a lot of content based directly on them that have just taken the characters, setting or idea and become something wildly different while still being sort of 'true' to the source. We've gotten movies focusing more on being comedies, dramas, romances, and even some superhero-styled adventures out of them. It's like it really close to putting the superhero aspect of the story away and exploring something different based on the concept/characters.

In a few years, after the superhero formula has ran and ran and ran, maybe there will be people who will say the failure of execution and performance of the film, coupled with the Marvel/DCCU shared universes, prevented makers of comic book movies from similarly having the chance to take established literary characters like those in the comics and explore them from an atypical angle.

I've been thinking about this movie a bit though, and this has been sort of the Summer of films I found disappointing, but that I oddly didn't hate.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The first 10 to 15 minutes of this are pretty good and then it's like What The gently caress. That's basically my reaction " Why did people say this is bad, I like it so far" , " Oh god, what the hell is going on".

I sort of feel SLIGHTLY the opposite way.

I think you could cut immediately from Ben/Reed as kids to Reed's move-in day at the Baxter Building, which cuts out most of that first 10-15 minutes.

Or you cut straight from his talk to the class about teleporters and what not to a now-older Reed giving a similar talk, this time with more maturity, showing off Powerpoints and numbers and formulas to recruiters at the Baxter Institute who are reviewing his theories where half of them think he's a genius, the other half think he's just crazy, and Victor is there taking notes and quietly conferring with Dr. Storm in the back of the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

quote:

Winston Groom's price for the screenplay rights to his novel Forrest Gump included a 3% share of the profits; however, due to Hollywood accounting, the film's commercial success was converted into a net loss, and Groom received only $350,000 for the rights and an additional $250,000 from the studio.

I could have sworn that I heard after the success of Forrest Gump and the ensuing Hollywood Accounting, the studio/production company wanted to make a movie around a Gump sequel book he'd written and tried to get the rights.

I think the author responded with a refusal and with something along the lines of asking why they'd want to make a sequel to a film that didn't make any money?

• Locked thread