Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh hay another links course

The PGA Championship returns to Whistling Straits in Kohler, Wisconsin (yes, THAT Kohler), site of the 2010 edition where Martin Kaymer beat Bubba Watson in a playoff after Dustin Johnson apparently grounded his club in a bunker on the 72nd hole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qQEcx7xEuQ

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: TNT 2-8pm
Sat/Sun: TNT 11am-2pm, CBS 2-7pm

You'll be able to stream every day at http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/ and on the PGA Championship app.

Marquee Tee Times (Thu/Fri ET)
Brooks Koepka, Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson: 2:10pm (1), 8:55am (10)
Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, Zach Johnson: 2:20pm (1), 9:05am (10)
Bill Haas, Sergio Garcia, Louis Oosthuizen: 8:25am (10), 1:40pm (1)
Rickie Fowler , Jason Day, Dustin Johnson: 9:05am (10), 2:20pm (1)
Tiger Woods, Martin Kaymer, Keegan Bradley: 9:15am (10) 2:30pm (1)

Odds
Jordan Spieth 5/1
Rory McIlroy 8/1
Dustin Johnson 12/1
Jason Day 14/1
Adam Scott 20/1
Bubba Watson 20/1
Justin Rose 20/1
Rickie Fowler 20/1
Henrik Stenson 25/1
Louis Oosthuizen 33/1
Martin Kaymer 33/1
Phil Mickelson 33/1
Sergio Garcia 33/1

My Top 5 Picks
Jordan Spieth
Rory McIlroy (lol)
Bubba Watson
Justin Rose
Rickie Fowler

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yes links golf owns. This whole tournament gonna own

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Are we still doing the ball bet thing? My man Bubba is on fire the past couple weeks.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
DJ Redemption.........goes on epic 3-week bender afterwards.

Dustin Johnson 12/1
Jordan Spieth 5/1
Bubba Watson 20/1

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

Hell yes links golf owns. This whole tournament gonna own

:agreed:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Spieth for president

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think you managed to pick the most boring picture of that course.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Ahhh yes, Whistling Straits, the place where fans are allowed to walk in the bunkers and players are required to hit out of their footprints without grounding their clubs.

A true Muni experience! Apart from the $385 greens fees(mandatory caddy not included).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Ahhh yes, Whistling Straits, the place where fans are allowed to walk in the bunkers and players are required to hit out of their footprints without grounding their clubs.

A true Muni experience! Apart from the $385 greens fees(mandatory caddy not included).

Seriously wasn't that where they fixed the rule after it dicked DJ over?

E: I think they called them 'garbage bunkers' or somesuch

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
The rules are no mystery since these notices are posted everywhere the players go (pee).

1. All areas of the course that were designed and built as bunkers, filled with sand, will be played as bunkers (hazards), whether or not they've been raked. This will mean that many bunkers positioned outside of the ropes, as well as some areas of bunkers inside the ropes, close to the rope line, will likely include numerous footprints, heel prints, trash and tire tracks during the play of the Championship Such irregularities of surface are a part of the game and no free relief will be available from these conditions. All bunkers inside the ropes will be raked each morning prior to play as normal.
2. Stones in bunkers are movable obstructions (Rule 24-1 applies).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So you can't move some drunk's empty beer cans that he dumped there, but feel free to get rocks out of the way.

That's incredible.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
That can't be right -- a beer can and "trash" in general is a movable obstruction.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

That can't be right -- a beer can and "trash" in general is a movable obstruction.
Yeah, whoever wrote up that sheet clearly doesn't know what they're talking about :

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-24

A player may take relief, without penalty, from a movable obstruction as follows:

a. If the ball does not lie in or on the obstruction, the obstruction may be removed. If the ball moves, it must be replaced, and there is no penalty, provided that the movement of the ball is directly attributable to the removal of the obstruction. Otherwise, Rule 18-2a applies.

b. If the ball lies in or on the obstruction, the ball may be lifted and the obstruction removed. The ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball lay in or on the obstruction, but not nearer the hole.

HOWEVER, they cannot move "food":

23/3 Half-Eaten Pear
Q.A half-eaten pear lies directly in front of a ball in a bunker and there is no pear tree in the vicinity of the bunker. In the circumstances, is the pear an obstruction rather than a loose impediment, in which case the player could remove it without penalty?

A.No. A pear is a natural object. When detached from a tree it is a loose impediment. The fact that a pear has been half-eaten and there is no pear tree in the vicinity does not alter the status of the pear.

23/4 Fruit Skins
Q.Is a banana skin or other fruit skin a loose impediment?

A.Yes.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
god dammit I love me some USGA rules clarification sections

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Half Eaten Pear rule my new favorite rule

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How I read the story was that the majority of the fault is with DJ of course - but also note that the official with DJ's group that day was sent downfield (by DJ) to wrangle the crowd when he would have most likely reminded DJ about it being a bunker. Also DJ's caddy should have been on top of it as well but somehow didn't think to.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
What if the half-eaten pear still has the sticker on it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Golf Megathread 2016: The fact that a pear has been half-eaten and there is no pear tree in the vicinity does not alter the status of the pear.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Are we still doing the ball bet thing? My man Bubba is on fire the past couple weeks.

I'm down for organizing the ball bet. Quote this post (so I can find it easily) with your one (1) golfer that you'll pick. All submissions must be made before the first tee time Thursday morning. One unique golfer per goon, e.g. If I pick Sergio, nobody else can. Yes, be jealous.

The goon with the highest finishing golfer on Sunday will have a dozen of his player's golf balls mailed to him from each of the other participants in the contest.

This won't be cost prohibitive if the golf balls are purchased from http://www.lostgolfballs.com/. Tour Preferred X balls are $40 on Amazon, maybe a little more in most brick and mortar stores, but they're $14.99 from LGB for top quality (which might have a sharpie mark or corporate logo but nothing else). You can expect $12-15 in taxes and shipping costs, but that's still $10 cheaper.

And again for the record, I'm picking Sergio.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

I'm down for organizing the ball bet. Quote this post (so I can find it easily) with your one (1) golfer that you'll pick. All submissions must be made before the first tee time Thursday morning. One unique golfer per goon, e.g. If I pick Sergio, nobody else can. Yes, be jealous.

The goon with the highest finishing golfer on Sunday will have a dozen of his player's golf balls mailed to him from each of the other participants in the contest.

This won't be cost prohibitive if the golf balls are purchased from http://www.lostgolfballs.com/. Tour Preferred X balls are $40 on Amazon, maybe a little more in most brick and mortar stores, but they're $14.99 from LGB for top quality (which might have a sharpie mark or corporate logo but nothing else). You can expect $12-15 in taxes and shipping costs, but that's still $10 cheaper.

Jordan Spieth! :toot:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Jordan Spieth! :toot:

Figured as much. You snooze, you lose guys!

Josh Lyman, taking Adam Scott again?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Safe bet = boring bet, but it's for great poo poo. I wanna see who has the courage to take DJ. Hats off to whoever does.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I gotta think Bubba Watson is the man to beat this year. He lost in a playoff here in 2010, and he's won 2 green jackets since then. Bubba also won shortly after the British Open, finished 2nd at the Canadian Open, and finished 2nd last week. Spieth definitely seems like a safe bet, but he's never played this course in competition (his first major season was in 2012), but he's also never made the cut in a PGA Championship.

It's crazy to think that, despite being the longest course in major championship history, short hitters can be very successful here. Chris DiMarco and Justin Leonard nearly won it in 2004, and Kaymer beat out Watson and DJ in 2010. It rewards guys who keep it in the fairway. Spieth fits that mold very well.

Edit: Full disclaimer - Martin Kaymer can absolutely mash the ball. He can't keep up with Watson or DJ, though. It's relative.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 11, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman, taking Adam Scott again?
I was gonna say, we should ban Spieth as a pick. :colbert:

The Adam Scott pick was made quite reluctantly. With the exception of Spieth, there aren't any Titleist staffers I really like to win it, so I'd have to go with a Titleist ball player.

I'm tentatively picking Bubba because he's played well recently, but he's historically terrible on links layouts. Still, he finished runner-up here in 2010 so he can play THIS course. Fowler would also be a solid choice.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 11, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if the weather is good, which it seems it will be, you're going to see a lot of the long bombers go to town on this course. It's hard to ever count Bubba out of a major in the states. I think if Spieth plays his relatively simple game, he's going to do very well here.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I think this is Tiger's tournament to lose, he's been hitting the ball so welllaahahahahahaha I can't keep a straight face.

Edit: I know he's been playing better lately, but he hasn't been 'IN' a big tournament in awhile now.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Kameh posted:

I'l take Jason Day in the ball competition if he's still avail.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

I think this is Tiger's tournament to lose, he's been hitting the ball so welllaahahahahahaha I can't keep a straight face.

Edit: I know he's been playing better lately, but he hasn't been 'IN' a big tournament in awhile now.

I doubt he'll finish top 15 but it'd be nice to at least see him make the cut and maybe finish top 25.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

...It's hard to ever count Bubba out of a major in the states....

You might think so, but Bubba doesn't bring consistency to his majors, at least in the US. Not counting the Masters, we have...

US Open:
2004 - CUT
2005 - DNP
2006 - DNP
2007 - T5 (At Oakmont, won by Angel Cabrera, with Tiger and Jim Furyk giving chase)
2008 - CUT
2009 - T18
2010 - DNP
2011 - T63
2012 - CUT (right after his first Masters win)
2013 - T32
2014 - CUT (again, right after a Masters win)
2015 - CUT

PGA Championship:
2004 - DNP
2005 - DNP
2006 - DNP
2007 - CUT
2008 - 70 (out of 73 players to make the cut)
2009 - CUT
2010 - 2 (lost in playoff to Kaymer)
2011 - T26
2012 - T11 (only top 10 that year was his Master's victory)
2013 - CUT
2014 - T65 (out of 74 players)

I'm still putting him on my fantasy team because he can draw upon previous success here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fowler is gonna win this and I'm gonna shoot myself for picking Bubba instead, just like how I shot myself when Adam Scott when +5 on the last 5 holes at St. Andrews.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Bubba kinda seems all-or-nothing in his game, but when he's on, he's on. Dude's basically the wild card in more ways than one :v:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

I doubt he'll finish top 15 but it'd be nice to at least see him make the cut and maybe finish top 25.

He finished T24 in 2004 and T28 in 2010. Of course, he had a STELLAR year in 2005, so he wasn't quite in top form in either of those PGA championships, but a top 25 or better for him on this course would be fantastic, almost regardless of recent struggles.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Fowler is gonna win this and I'm gonna shoot myself for picking Bubba instead, just like how I shot myself when Adam Scott when +5 on the last 5 holes at St. Andrews.

I mean, I don't know if mattfl was trying to call Bubba when he asked about the ball bet...but Watson and Fowler both play Titleist balls, so...gonna change? :q:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

I mean, I don't know if mattfl was trying to call Bubba when he asked about the ball bet...but Watson and Fowler both play Titleist balls, so...gonna change? :q:

Ya that was kinda my reason for mentioning him to begin with :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Ya that was kinda my reason for mentioning him to begin with :(
That's fine. You can take Bubba and I'll tentatively take Fowler, though I may still back out by Thursday.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

That's fine. You can take Bubba and I'll tentatively take Fowler, though I may still back out by Thursday.

Nut up. Fowler just drained a long birdie putt on the last to (eventually) halve his Tuesday money match with Phil against Spieth/Thomas. He's in form.

Okay, mattfl. Got you down for Watson.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun, haven't you played this course a few times? Give us the inside scoop. :munch:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Nut up. Fowler just drained a long birdie putt on the last to (eventually) halve his Tuesday money match with Phil against Spieth/Thomas. He's in form.

That much I know, 2 at Quicken Loans and T10 at WGC Bridgestone.

Fine. Down for Fowler.

(loving Spieth is gonna win, isn't he?)

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DJExile posted:

DoctaFun, haven't you played this course a few times? Give us the inside scoop. :munch:

Unfortunately I haven't :(. I was going to play it a few years ago on my way home from Chicago, but then I looked at the greens fees! It's seriously the same price as Pebble Beach when you factor in a caddie.

My expert opinion is that it looks like a fun course and I think they have sheep or something that roam around eating the grass, which is pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Woo! Ok Bubba, try and keep your head case outbursts to a minimum.

• Locked thread