Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

DoctaFun posted:

My expert opinion is that it looks like a fun course and I think they have sheep or something that roam around eating the grass, which is pretty neat.

If your ball lands next to sheep poo, are you allowed to move it(the poo)? If so, do you use your hand, your club, or do you make your caddie do it for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Koskinator posted:

If your ball lands next to sheep poo, are you allowed to move it(the poo)? If so, do you use your hand, your club, or do you make your caddie do it for you?

Found on another forum:

Some dude from http://en.allexperts.com/q/Golf-1834/2010/8/Rabbit-scrapes.htm posted:

Animal droppings, or bird droppings, large or small, from such creatures like Canada Geese, or coyotes, are all loose impediments. That means that because they are natural and not artificial, you have to treat them the same as twigs, stones, fallen leaves, etc.

You do NOT get a free drop. Through the green, you may move or try to move them (hopefully, they are firm), but if your ball moves, it will cost you a penalty stroke under rule 18-2, and then you must replace the ball.

If you're ball is covered by the stuff, then this stuff now becomes part of the ball, and if you try to remove any of it, you will again be penalized under the same Rule for purposely touching your ball. Tough break.

Furthermore, if your ball lands in a pile of it, then this whole pile becomes part of the ball, parallel to the decision about a ball being embedded in an orange. That orange is now part of the ball, just as the pile of do-do and your options are now to either play the ball or take an unplayable lie.

Hope this helps.

Ken.

So, you can move them if they're not touching the ball. If the ball moves, it's a penalty. If it's on the ball, you gotta play it as it lies. Gross.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am too lovely of a player to play there but I play on county courses on the Lake Michigan and I can tell you the wind is a bitch. It is unpredictable and you can get random gusts out of nowhere.

Some friends who played there said it will expose your weaknesses due to each hole favoring different types of players.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Kameh posted:

I'm down for organizing the ball bet. Quote this post (so I can find it easily) with your one (1) golfer that you'll pick. All submissions must be made before the first tee time Thursday morning. One unique golfer per goon, e.g. If I pick Sergio, nobody else can. Yes, be jealous.

The goon with the highest finishing golfer on Sunday will have a dozen of his player's golf balls mailed to him from each of the other participants in the contest.

This won't be cost prohibitive if the golf balls are purchased from http://www.lostgolfballs.com/. Tour Preferred X balls are $40 on Amazon, maybe a little more in most brick and mortar stores, but they're $14.99 from LGB for top quality (which might have a sharpie mark or corporate logo but nothing else). You can expect $12-15 in taxes and shipping costs, but that's still $10 cheaper.

And again for the record, I'm picking Sergio.

Count me in for most likely sending balls to DJExile for picking Spieth.

I'll take my chances with Oosthuizen.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Here Kameh I'll help ya out.

Here are the picks so far

kameh - sergio garcia
djexile - jordan spieth
mattfl - bubba watson
ensgdt - jason day
josh lyman - rickie fowler
pmac - louis oosthuizen

Surprised no one is taking a chance on Rory. Plenty of top names still available!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Game on, bitches!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

Game on, bitches!

lol we literally picked out of the top 10

except Sergio

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

except Sergio

I like to live dangerously.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm surprised Oost has that long of odds. He was phenomenal at Chambers Bay and likely would have won if he didn't have a bad Thursday, then was in the playoffs at the Open.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Well, there's the fact that he missed the cut here in 2010.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Well, there's the fact that he missed the cut here in 2010.

Aaah, figured there was something more to it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Aaah, figured there was something more to it.

It was especially surprising considering he had won the British Open at St. Andrews the previous month in dominating fashion.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: GOLF IS LIVE MOTHERFUCKERS :siren:

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/live/player.html

Morning marquee group is Tiger, Kaymer, and Keegan.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Afternoon marque group is going to be loving awesome.

Bubba starting on 10th hole.

Shot 1 328 yds to left fairway, 88 ft 4 in. to hole

That seems like a good way to start lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 13, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Here Kameh I'll help ya out.

Here are the picks so far

All balls are 5A (top quality) at https://www.lostgolfballs.com unless otherwise noted.

kameh - sergio garcia (Tour Preferred X, $13.99)
djexile - jordan spieth (Titleist Pro V1X, $26.99 for 2015 model, $12.99 for the 4A 2014 model. No 5A 2014 model currently)
mattfl - bubba watson (Titleist Pro V1X, $26.99 for 2015 model, $12.99 for the 4A 2014 model. No 5A 2014 model currently)
ensgdt - jason day (Tour Preferred X, $13.99)
josh lyman - rickie fowler (Titleist Pro V1X, $26.99 for 2015 model, $12.99 for the 4A 2014 model. No 5A 2014 model currently)
pmac - louis oosthuizen (Titleist Pro V1X, $26.99 for 2015 model, $12.99 for the 4A 2014 model. No 5A 2014 model currently)

Added the models for each player.

So it comes down to TP-X or the ProV1X. I was wondering if instead of each of us shipping a dozen to the winner, we should do something like Paypal or Google Wallet to just transfer the appropriate $ amount to the winner. Otherwise we'd be paying an extra $12 each in shipping.

For example, if Sergio wins, 5 dozen of those TP-X would be $69.95 before shipping. 2 or 3 bucks extra from each of you losers would cover shipping. Shipped individually, you'd pay about $25 per dozen.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

For the record, I do prefer Callaway Chrome Softs, but free golf balls are free golf balls :D

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah I understood it as a dozen of our favorite balls, not whatever the pro plays.

I'm cool with this regardless though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
DJ going out for a 10 shot lead (so he can poo poo the bed on Sat/Sun and still win)

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Kameh posted:

The goon with the highest finishing golfer on Sunday will have a dozen of his player's golf balls mailed to him from each of the other participants in the contest.

Sorry for confusion, tried to make it clear. But really, I'm down for shipping whatever dozen the winner wants to play. Not everybody needs or likes to play Pro V1X.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
I picked Oosty because he plays the balls I want. No big deal though, I'm good with sending the eventual winner money by paypal/google wallet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Man who the hell reads Kameh posts that somehow aren't about Sergio? :v:

But yeah I'd say we'll just let the winner decide.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Man who the hell reads Kameh posts that somehow aren't about Sergio? :v:

But yeah I'd say we'll just let the winner decide.

I have a tough time getting through them, too.

And how the hell did nobody pick Dustin Johnson?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Kameh posted:

I have a tough time getting through them, too.

And how the hell did nobody pick Dustin Johnson?

This is just a hypothetical question right? We all know the answer?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Added the models for each player.

So it comes down to TP-X or the ProV1X. I was wondering if instead of each of us shipping a dozen to the winner, we should do something like Paypal or Google Wallet to just transfer the appropriate $ amount to the winner. Otherwise we'd be paying an extra $12 each in shipping.

For example, if Sergio wins, 5 dozen of those TP-X would be $69.95 before shipping. 2 or 3 bucks extra from each of you losers would cover shipping. Shipped individually, you'd pay about $25 per dozen.
We could just turn this into a bet where everyone puts $20 in the pot, payable via Paypal/Google Wallet.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That may have been the best 75 Tiger has ever shot. Probably could have shot 65 if could make a putt.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah I've only seen some Tiger clips but he apparently still hasn't remembered how to hit driver so a 75 isn't bad.

The complete lack of protracer so far is unforgivable imo. I miss Chamber's Bay.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 13, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah I've only seen some Tiger clips but he apparently still hasn't remembered to hit driver so a 75 isn't bad.

The complete lack of protracer so far is unforgivable imo. I miss Chamber's Bay.

Yeah, for as awful as most of FOX's broadcast was, live tracers and keeping mics wide open on golfers was awesome

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

Yeah, for as awful as most of FOX's broadcast was, live tracers and keeping mics wide open on golfers was awesome

Mics were wide open on the live stream. Caught a nice "loving christ, the gently caress is wrong with you" from Tiger after he left a long putt way short.

Commentators didn't even apologize, they just laughed about it.

As an aside, Michael Breed is actually a really good commentator.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Day 1 results are in!

Speith had finished already, not sure why it hasn't updated yet.

ensgdt with the early lead!

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
I agree about Michael Breed. His analysis is way more credible (bearable) than a guy like Joe Buck. And Breed's not even on the TNT broadcast. Having a top-class PGA pro with tons of tv time under his belt makes for some interesting commentary.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Spieth is in the own zone now.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Hiroshi Iwata shot a 63 - tied the major championship record.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
GOD. DAMNIT. SERGIO.

3 STRAIGHT THREE PUTTS. WHY.

He was -4, now only 2 clear of the cut.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Marklar posted:

Hiroshi Iwata shot a 63 - tied the major championship record.

It's surprising that it's been done 27 times and nobody has gone lower.

Aaaand the horn just blew due to weather, welp.

Kameh posted:

GOD. DAMNIT. SERGIO.

3 STRAIGHT THREE PUTTS. WHY.

He was -4, now only 2 clear of the cut.

It's..... THE CLAAAAW!!! Rawrrr

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
New putter rules next year right? Hopefully that's the last tine we see Scotty with that ridiculous thing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

New putter rules next year right? Hopefully that's the last tine we see Scotty with that ridiculous thing.
He's gonna keep using it except he'll hold it just off his chest instead of actually anchoring it.

:barf:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

He's gonna keep using it except he'll hold it just off his chest instead of actually anchoring it.

:barf:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
John Daly put 3 balls into Lake Michigan on a par three, and threw his club in for good measure.

http://espn.go.com/golf/pgachampionship15/story/_/id/13438649/john-daly-throws-golf-club-lake-michigan-retrieved-young-man

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

It's moving day and nobody is posting. Come on guys!

My observation so far: Day and Spieth, get your poo poo together.

Also, Matt Jones has some kind of throwback, wild swing. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

justin rose hitting the ball within 5ft of the hole shoeless in capris

• Locked thread