Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«185 »
ratbert90
Feb 12, 2009
JUST FUCKING STOP, JESUS H. CHRIST

baka kaba posted:

You have to draw the line at some point, I'm saying it shouldn't be interrupting basic use cases like streaming a TV show or running a large download, unless it's a dire emergency. It's not my job to work out the ideal policy, they just need to make it less user-hostile. If you're trying to do something not even slightly unusual and your computer interrupts it (or becomes outright unusable because of a long update) then that's a Bad Thing, and they should be avoiding that

Yes, if only there was some warning system they could implement that had a schedule you setup that would allow it to reboot automatically during a given time period of your choosing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

DID YOU KNOW: A ruddy duck produces huge eggs. A full clutch of eggs can weigh more than the hen that laid them!

~SMcD

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, if only there was some warning system they could implement that had a schedule you setup that would allow it to reboot automatically during a given time period of your choosing...

Yes, scheduling a reboot sounds great! I'd love for windows to give me a way to schedule update reboots.

I went manual because the way it works now I had restarts that were effectively unscheduled -- the notifications happened while I was afk or whatever. Inadequate warning, no input required to keep me in the loop. The active hours thing is garbage.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

Protect our Friends!

Anti-Poaching Task Force
Japari Park Service

Yeah I've several times woken up to a reboot update because the warning-schedule me-reboot cycle all happened while I was sleeping.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003
I <3 spyderbyte!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

You have to wait until there actually is an update to get those options. Not ideal.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

New Insider build, and it actually showed up in wu for me I was hoping that the update process might fix some of the weirdness going on in 16215 for me, but wu downloads it then fails with error 0x80240034 before I actually get in the rest of the install outside of my current build.

I wish there was just a database with even a single line description of error codes into English. Otherwise, what's the use? What way is there to decode them other than googling and hoping someone else knows?

(if there is a database like that please tell me, because it's never showed up in google.)

Edit: Ah never mind second time worked fine.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2017 around 19:47

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

BrainDance posted:

New Insider build, and it actually showed up in wu for me I was hoping that the update process might fix some of the weirdness going on in 16215 for me, but wu downloads it then fails with error 0x80240034 before I actually get in the rest of the install outside of my current build.

I wish there was just a database with even a single line description of error codes into English. Otherwise, what's the use? What way is there to decode them other than googling and hoping someone else knows?

(if there is a database like that please tell me, because it's never showed up in google.)

Searching on just the error code and nothing else brought me to this page: Windows Update Agent Result Codes
That particular one means "download failed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

FYI Microsoft does cert pinning for pulling windows updates and some AV/malware/whatever platforms will locally proxy/MITM TLS sessions which makes WU download break because the agent sees some random cert on the socket and says gently caress No.

«185 »