Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«241 »
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

It was an issue with modern websites, even common ones would fail to load critical areas. I assumed it was just a lack of support for standards. I believe I tried Firefox but I definitely tried legacy Chrome and IE. It wasn't super critical so I didn't work on it much but I was very surprised at how bad it had gotten. Just a few years ago you could reasonably assume Grandma could still use the internet on her e-machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

I installed an Opera version on Windows 95 recently and could browse several modern websites.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Assisitive upgrade is out, Win7 key worn off this HP I have here now. Magic jelly bean only recovers the generic 4FG99 key thats been blocked, so what can I do to get it updated legit?

Secondly, all my gear is pretty good, at least i5/8gb/SSD so everything is snappy, but are there any actual optimization tricks that can be done to improve things under the hood, especially for lesser hardware?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Are you licensed? Sounds like yes, with an OEM key activated by your computer's BIOS.

1. Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...nload/windows10

2. Click Update Now

3. Follow all instructions, get updated

4. Confirm you're activated once Windows 10 loads

5. Reset Windows if you want to start clean. Enjoy life, except for the fact that Windows 10 is a soul-sucking downgrade compared to Windows 7.

If any of the steps above fails, you'll be able to roll back no problem.

There are 0 confirmations out there that Microsoft has closed any of the following upgrade scenarios:

1) Upgrading licensed Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 (as described above)
2) Inputting a valid Windows 7/8/8.1 key into a new installation of Windows 10 (you can't do this with your volume license key)
3) Using the Assistive Upgrade

It simply makes no sense for Microsoft to close these upgrade paths, even if they said they will.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

Bit. Trip. RIP.

Geemer posted:

Wuss. Half the lab equipment I have to work with is on Windows XP, the other half is Windows 2000.
They recently moved the equipment that ran on a Windows 98se computer (originally Win 95) that interfaced through an ISA-to-PCI converter to a different site.

My IT is currently migrating 15k+ laptops to Windows 10 from 7 but not mine because one of the apps I need to use won't work in 10.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bobfather posted:

the fact that Windows 10 is a soul-sucking downgrade compared to Windows 7.

Sitting there clinging to Windows 7 believing its better in any way than 10 is the same as the NRA clinging to the second amendment thinking its sensible in 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

codo27 posted:

Sitting there clinging to Windows 7 believing its better in any way than 10 is the same as the NRA clinging to the second amendment thinking its sensible in 2018

No, not quite the same thing.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

It was an issue with modern websites, even common ones would fail to load critical areas. I assumed it was just a lack of support for standards. I believe I tried Firefox but I definitely tried legacy Chrome and IE. It wasn't super critical so I didn't work on it much but I was very surprised at how bad it had gotten. Just a few years ago you could reasonably assume Grandma could still use the internet on her e-machine

I looked into Chrome a bit, it looks like the "support for XP" that ended two years ago was only partial, with TLS being severely out of date and broken. And IE on XP never even supported SNI.

But I'm pretty sure Firefox actually treated XP as a first-class citizen when it comes to TLS support, so an install of version 52 should be perfectly capable of browsing the web for years to come, even as its security slowly degrades after august.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

Bit. Trip. RIP.

Last Chance posted:

No, not quite the same thing.

It's pretty close actually

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Dylan16807 posted:

I looked into Chrome a bit, it looks like the "support for XP" that ended two years ago was only partial, with TLS being severely out of date and broken. And IE on XP never even supported SNI.

But I'm pretty sure Firefox actually treated XP as a first-class citizen when it comes to TLS support, so an install of version 52 should be perfectly capable of browsing the web for years to come, even as its security slowly degrades after august.

Out of curiosity I threw up a XP vm and indeed Firefox does work! I stand corrected, I must not have tried Firefox. IE barely works, and I remember Chrome explicitly not working or being supported. It is funny to try to click Windows Update in XP, it leads to an error page and a couple of bad links.

Now what I'll do with this information I dont know. At least I got paid for it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Out of curiosity I threw up a XP vm and indeed Firefox does work! I stand corrected, I must not have tried Firefox. IE barely works, and I remember Chrome explicitly not working or being supported. It is funny to try to click Windows Update in XP, it leads to an error page and a couple of bad links.

Now what I'll do with this information I dont know. At least I got paid for it lol.

I have a winxp VM and chrome works perfectly fine. Sure, is version 49 and yells at me that it is no longer supported and probably will make the VM blow up if i try to go on the interwebs with it, but it ... works.

«241 »