Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
It was an issue with modern websites, even common ones would fail to load critical areas. I assumed it was just a lack of support for standards. I believe I tried Firefox but I definitely tried legacy Chrome and IE. It wasn't super critical so I didn't work on it much but I was very surprised at how bad it had gotten. Just a few years ago you could reasonably assume Grandma could still use the internet on her e-machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I installed an Opera version on Windows 95 recently and could browse several modern websites.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Assisitive upgrade is out, Win7 key worn off this HP I have here now. Magic jelly bean only recovers the generic 4FG99 key thats been blocked, so what can I do to get it updated legit?

Secondly, all my gear is pretty good, at least i5/8gb/SSD so everything is snappy, but are there any actual optimization tricks that can be done to improve things under the hood, especially for lesser hardware?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Are you licensed? Sounds like yes, with an OEM key activated by your computer's BIOS.

1. Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Click Update Now

3. Follow all instructions, get updated

4. Confirm you're activated once Windows 10 loads

5. Reset Windows if you want to start clean. Enjoy life, except for the fact that Windows 10 is a soul-sucking downgrade compared to Windows 7.

If any of the steps above fails, you'll be able to roll back no problem.

There are 0 confirmations out there that Microsoft has closed any of the following upgrade scenarios:

1) Upgrading licensed Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 (as described above)
2) Inputting a valid Windows 7/8/8.1 key into a new installation of Windows 10 (you can't do this with your volume license key)
3) Using the Assistive Upgrade

It simply makes no sense for Microsoft to close these upgrade paths, even if they said they will.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Geemer posted:

Wuss. Half the lab equipment I have to work with is on Windows XP, the other half is Windows 2000.
They recently moved the equipment that ran on a Windows 98se computer (originally Win 95) that interfaced through an ISA-to-PCI converter to a different site.

:barf:

My IT is currently migrating 15k+ laptops to Windows 10 from 7 but not mine because one of the apps I need to use won't work in 10. :smith:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bobfather posted:

the fact that Windows 10 is a soul-sucking downgrade compared to Windows 7.

Sitting there clinging to Windows 7 believing its better in any way than 10 is the same as the NRA clinging to the second amendment thinking its sensible in 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

codo27 posted:

Sitting there clinging to Windows 7 believing its better in any way than 10 is the same as the NRA clinging to the second amendment thinking its sensible in 2018

No, not quite the same thing. :stare:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

It was an issue with modern websites, even common ones would fail to load critical areas. I assumed it was just a lack of support for standards. I believe I tried Firefox but I definitely tried legacy Chrome and IE. It wasn't super critical so I didn't work on it much but I was very surprised at how bad it had gotten. Just a few years ago you could reasonably assume Grandma could still use the internet on her e-machine

I looked into Chrome a bit, it looks like the "support for XP" that ended two years ago was only partial, with TLS being severely out of date and broken. And IE on XP never even supported SNI.

But I'm pretty sure Firefox actually treated XP as a first-class citizen when it comes to TLS support, so an install of version 52 should be perfectly capable of browsing the web for years to come, even as its security slowly degrades after august.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

No, not quite the same thing. :stare:

It's pretty close actually :haw:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Dylan16807 posted:

I looked into Chrome a bit, it looks like the "support for XP" that ended two years ago was only partial, with TLS being severely out of date and broken. And IE on XP never even supported SNI.

But I'm pretty sure Firefox actually treated XP as a first-class citizen when it comes to TLS support, so an install of version 52 should be perfectly capable of browsing the web for years to come, even as its security slowly degrades after august.

Out of curiosity I threw up a XP vm and indeed Firefox does work! I stand corrected, I must not have tried Firefox. IE barely works, and I remember Chrome explicitly not working or being supported. It is funny to try to click Windows Update in XP, it leads to an error page and a couple of bad links.

Now what I'll do with this information I dont know. At least I got paid for it lol.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Out of curiosity I threw up a XP vm and indeed Firefox does work! I stand corrected, I must not have tried Firefox. IE barely works, and I remember Chrome explicitly not working or being supported. It is funny to try to click Windows Update in XP, it leads to an error page and a couple of bad links.

Now what I'll do with this information I dont know. At least I got paid for it lol.

I have a winxp VM and chrome works perfectly fine. Sure, is version 49 and yells at me that it is no longer supported and probably will make the VM blow up if i try to go on the interwebs with it, but it ... works.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Volguus posted:

I have a winxp VM and chrome works perfectly fine. Sure, is version 49 and yells at me that it is no longer supported and probably will make the VM blow up if i try to go on the interwebs with it, but it ... works.

Wtf, I tried and it works too. Well thats what I get for commenting on something based on a singular passing experience. I guess its notable I had to get the ISO from a different source, maybe the one I was using originally was bunk or some really old build without basic drivers. Although I very very clearly remember Chrome specifically giving me serious error messages that nothing would be expected to work - which was true.

Anyways.. now I know even more about Windows XP browser compatibility lol.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Stanley Pain posted:

It's pretty close actually :haw:

You're going to have to explain how mandatory six monthly inplace reinstalls is a good thing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

xamphear posted:

Does any other currently available OS force updates and reboots? I'm not talking about pushy notifications or constant nags, I mean full on "we're taking control of your computer now and doing it, go gently caress yourself."

iOS doesn't. macOS doesn't. Linux doesn't. Android doesn't.

Windows really is far outside the norm in this regard.

I don't know, but I login to my webserver every so often and the uptime is in near years (with all updates), and it's like - WTF Windows, why are you so utterly poo poo.
(The uptime would be in years if I didn't reboot it by choice to ensure it'll start back up)

But even with it being utterly poo poo it's still better then OSX or Linux to use and game on.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 24, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If I could game on OSX or Linux I'd have been gone a long time ago.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

skooma512 posted:

If I could game on OSX or Linux I'd have been gone a long time ago.
I defend Windows 10 a lot in this thread, but :same:

My laptop technically dual boots but has been booted in to Windows for less than 6 hours in the last year, entirely for the purpose of shutting up a vendor who was convinced that the fact that I was running Linux was somehow causing their device to not work properly.

About 40% of my total Steam library claim Linux support at this point, but that number is disproportionally heavy on indie-type games I got from Humble Bundle and the like so it's not really accurate. Looking at my recently played list, of the last 25 games I've played five have Linux support and the only one of those that's a big name title is Payday 2. All the other AAA games are Windows-only, maybe one or two of those also supporting Macs but my Mac is so old I don't even have Steam installed on it.

If I could play Subnautica, Dishonored 2, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, and GTA V on Linux officially my desktop would probably follow my laptop straight in to Linux-land. No matter what your thoughts on Windows Update, APT blows it out of the water in every possible way. Even RPM sucks less by a lot.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

wolrah posted:

My laptop technically dual boots but has been booted in to Windows for less than 6 hours in the last year, entirely for the purpose of shutting up a vendor who was convinced that the fact that I was running Linux was somehow causing their device to not work properly.

About 40% of my total Steam library claim Linux support at this point, but that number is disproportionally heavy on indie-type games I got from Humble Bundle and the like so it's not really accurate. Looking at my recently played list, of the last 25 games I've played five have Linux support and the only one of those that's a big name title is Payday 2. All the other AAA games are Windows-only, maybe one or two of those also supporting Macs but my Mac is so old I don't even have Steam installed on it.

If I could play Subnautica, Dishonored 2, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, and GTA V on Linux officially my desktop would probably follow my laptop straight in to Linux-land. No matter what your thoughts on Windows Update, APT blows it out of the water in every possible way. Even RPM sucks less by a lot.

At least I have a chance of fixing APT and RPM if they break, Windows Update is usually lol reimage. I see it all the time. It's ridiculous. If you're gonna force me to update, and I actually want to update, why is it still so janky?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

skooma512 posted:

At least I have a chance of fixing APT and RPM if they break, Windows Update is usually lol reimage. I see it all the time. It's ridiculous. If you're gonna force me to update, and I actually want to update, why is it still so janky?

Or how about when RPM does do something stupid or the package does something stupid, "yum history undo 55" will replace it back with whatever you were running before it broke.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much fed up with Windows but I'm forced to run it for games. I don't want it as a daily driver for anything else though, so I just run it in a VM now with ESXi. Hardware passthru is loving amazing, I get pretty much native performance and if something goes wrong then oh well, restart the VM and if that doesn't work I just go back to an earlier snapshot. At least now Windows can't interfere with anything else.

I wanted to just go native Linux for gaming but performance is often a problem in addition to compatibility being dodgy.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

5-10 years ago I’d take OS X over Windows 7 but the sheer UI Speed - especially with a SSD and other enhancements with Windows 10 kind of makes me think twice.

I also can’t stand current Apple Hardware. Why did we get rid of MagSafe and move exclusively to USB C?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tab8715 posted:

5-10 years ago I’d take OS X over Windows 7 but the sheer UI Speed - especially with a SSD and other enhancements with Windows 10 kind of makes me think twice.

I also can’t stand current Apple Hardware. Why did we get rid of MagSafe and move exclusively to USB C?

Because as it turns out, your power delivery method being a fire hazard didn't fly too well with government safety regulatory bodies.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Because as it turns out, your power delivery method being a fire hazard didn't fly too well with government safety regulatory bodies.

Holy crap, I stay away from Apple so hard I never even knew this.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, it was a great idea, to be sure! Just that if it was anybody else other than Apple, it might have been fine. Apple has never been one to let things like "safety" and "strain reliefs on cables" compromise their A E S T H E T I C.

But hey, if you can afford Apple poo poo, obviously you can afford a new house when the current one burns down.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I wasn't really aware of this, but looking up the case it seems it wasn't so much about the connector itself as it was the cables being too thin and accepting too sharp bends. The core idea of the plug detaching instead of pulling the entire computer along, if you trip over it, is great.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just don't update.....

This is a first for me actually, I've never disabled Windows update on my XP, Vista, 7 and 8.1 installs but I'd like my machine to just work now and between the FCU problems with NVME drives, the spectre patches and the other stuff I just want my machine to actually work, which it does now.

God, I don't know how, but MS has squandered a lot of good will with Win 10.

It feels wrong, but gently caress it, I got poo poo to do. ;)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

poo poo like getting hosed by malware?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

See you in a couple of months for the rage post about Windows rebooting on you.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Nam Taf posted:

poo poo like getting hosed by malware?

Mwoah, running an Ad-blocker and a Pi-Hole seems to do as much good as a virusscanner, which are always behind the curve.

Windows defender runs.

Ghostlight posted:

See you in a couple of months for the rage post about Windows rebooting on you.

Yeah when I could have it reboot or not boot on me now!

Edit: Honest question, can someone tell when their virusscanner saved their bacon without themselves doing anything stupid like downloading stuff you clearly should not have?

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 25, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I vaguely remember something about an issue with Windows if you picked a username like "user" or "myuser" a while back; has anyone tried setting up a generic username like "me" and the like without any issues?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure its 'user' and yeah don't pick that name

I do Owner generally

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Windows has just gotten slower in the UI though?

As an example the 7 Start menu used to pop up instantly but there is always a slight delay on 10 even on a modern system with an NVMe SSD

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I just don't update.....

This is a first for me actually, I've never disabled Windows update on my XP, Vista, 7 and 8.1 installs but I'd like my machine to just work now and between the FCU problems with NVME drives, the spectre patches and the other stuff I just want my machine to actually work, which it does now.

God, I don't know how, but MS has squandered a lot of good will with Win 10.

It feels wrong, but gently caress it, I got poo poo to do. ;)

Update your poo poo; get in the semi-annual channel (not the targeted one) formerly known as Current Branch for Business so you get the new full-windows-install builds after they've been released to the general public for a nice, long time.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've only experienced one nagging issue with Windows 10 since build 1709. It's that bug where the Start menu will bug out graphically and you have to reboot to fix it. :shrug: Granted, I saw non-stop issues with every prior build but so far 1709 has been fairly stable for me.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but all of these issues are one reason why I'm focusing on server hardware for a new PC build. Windows will be Windows but it's my belief that a server motherboard and processor will help increase stability long-term. Honestly, how many features do you really need on a motherboard? a PCI Express slot for a graphics card, USB ports, maybe a soundcard (even an external USB one would work) okay and done. I look at consumer grade boards from Asus, MSI, etc. and they have like, 15 different models in a single product line each one $40-60 difference in price and there are features included that I'll never use like on-board Wi-Fi (in a desktop PC? Really?). That doesn't even include their bundled software and how horrible it is which would also potentially cause instability.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 25, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd be down with a totally stripped down board aimed at overclocks. But #rgb

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

nielsm posted:

I wasn't really aware of this, but looking up the case it seems it wasn't so much about the connector itself as it was the cables being too thin and accepting too sharp bends. The core idea of the plug detaching instead of pulling the entire computer along, if you trip over it, is great.

Sure, but you can't call something MagSAFE and have it burn down houses.

Like I said:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, it was a great idea, to be sure! Just that if it was anybody else other than Apple, it might have been fine. Apple has never been one to let things like "safety" and "strain reliefs on cables" compromise their A E S T H E T I C.

But hey, if you can afford Apple poo poo, obviously you can afford a new house when the current one burns down.

But the Immortal Word of Jobs didst decree, "THOU SHALT NOT STRAIN RELIEF. STRAIN RELIEFS ARE NOT PLEASING IN MY SIGHT." And so the high priests dids't not strain relief, and the flock thenst did burnt down their houses with too-thin wires carrying too much current, frayed off at the connector, with the only part of the connector actually being "Safe" was the sense of irony inherent.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 25, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've only experienced one nagging issue with Windows 10 since build 1709. It's that bug where the Start menu will bug out graphically and you have to reboot to fix it. :shrug: Granted, I saw non-stop issues with every prior build but so far 1709 has been fairly stable for me.

I've seen this a lot of the way, only after exiting full screen games though. Dont recall it happening lately though

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The latter versions of MagSafe didn’t have issues with the cords becoming frayed.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Had to reset my laptop, on login there was an audio message saying NO when I tried typing in my password, very weird, I'm pretty vigilant so not sure what happened except I noticed an administrator account with no password appeared, could this happen in an update?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Windows has just gotten slower in the UI though?

As an example the 7 Start menu used to pop up instantly but there is always a slight delay on 10 even on a modern system with an NVMe SSD

Recently for a nonprofit I set up 5 Core2Duo machines with Windows 10 (1709 fresh install), Crucial SSD's and 8GB of DDR2 RAM. Nothing about that UI lags. Even with Chrome and Office running already.

Fix your poo poo bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Oh it’s still there, you’re just less sensitive to it.