Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«270 »
peak debt
Mar 10, 2001
b& :(

Truga posted:

my 1803 update has been failing at 73% installed for the last two weeks or so and I have zero inclination of figuring out what the gently caress is wrong. I did some basic repair/dism thing and that didn't help so welp I guess my windows is now outdated forever

You can skip two Windows editions without falling out of security updates so there's really no hurry to get on _every_ new release. Especially because the actual benefits of them seem to be so small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 19, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

phosdex posted:

Same here. Also I uninstalled the candy crush stuff some number of updates ago and they've never come back.

Same. Not sure why. I'm running Pro edition like everyone else, and I simply do not have any problems. Maybe I once set a GPO and forgot about it and that's what's saved me all this time? I truly do not know.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Iíve never even noticed the updates, except that my computer is sometimes turned on when I donít expect it to be. Iíve checked and it has the latest update though...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

redeyes posted:

It's just a general reinstall dude. Nothing special. You end up with a fresh windows load with no apps and all your data in Windows.old

In general

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...nload/windows10

Download the tool and run it, you will need a blank USB stick, feed the tool that stick. It will make the installer stuff on the USB. Take that USB stick to your broken computer. Boot with it, install windows 10 on the largest partition on the HD. Boot up, setup your account/password. Copy your data files from c:\windows.old\Users\yourusername. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Ok so I downloaded this to a blank flash drive, insert it, turn my PC on, sends me to the blue screen where I have to choose between continue, Use a Device, etc. I choose Use a device and I have six options, USB Floppy/CD, USB Hard Drive, UEFI IPv4 network card, uefi ipv6 network card, USB Floppy/CD and Hard Drive. I choose either usb hard drive or floppy cd and it just goes back to resetting and going back to the original screen

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

No no no, put a blank drive in, run the thing you downloaded, and direct it to that drive. After that's done, then you boot to that drive.

E: and don't run it from that drive, but from your downloads folder or whatever.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at May 25, 2018 around 19:55

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Has anyone seen this before? I have the May CU stuck in Windows Update. It says it needs to be rebooted to finish the install, but no matter how many times I reboot, it doesn't go away. I run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and that doesn't fix it. I have this issue on a dozen computers. It's extremely frustrating.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alright well that was dumb. I uninstalled the update, rebooted, and manually re-installed the update via the msu file. That fixed it. Stupid Windows.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

No no no, put a blank drive in, run the thing you downloaded, and direct it to that drive. After that's done, then you boot to that drive.

E: and don't run it from that drive, but from your downloads folder or whatever.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

How if I canít access my desktop

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

Calaveron posted:

How if I canít access my desktop

Gonna have to use another computer that works.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

What did you use to download the tool and put it on the flash drive in the first place?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at May 25, 2018 around 21:21

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

*~*~ CONJURE ~*~ ~*~* FOOD *~*~*

Combat Pretzel posted:

The NTFS file system is robust enough to survive those antics. There might be data loss of crap that was in flight, that's about it. The file system itself isn't gonna blow up in your face. Same applies to USB sticks using it.

That somewhat alleviates my concern. However, just last week, I had a power outage while playing my MMO Of Choiceô and the next time I launched the game it looked all hosed up. Turns out the folder that stored all the client-side settings got completely destroyed. I've got the UPS units I need picked out, I just need to order them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What did you use to download the tool and put it on the flash drive in the first place?

I think I got confused
So I have one flash drive with the tool someone linked earlier
I also need another empty flash drive? Or what am I missing?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

No dude, you run the tool on a working computer. Click the option (in the utility) to create a USB boot drive. Put in the USB stick. Allow it to create the bootable USB stick.

Boot broken computer with USB stick. Reinstall windows on the largest partition. DO NOT remove any partitions.

You are obviously using a working computer to post. click DOWNLOAD TOOL NOW. Run the file it gives you.

Put in USB memory stick. Click the option to make a bootable USB stick.

Wait for it to do its thing, will take 5-10 mins, possibly more.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007

College Slice

Not to be a jerk, but a bit of reading, looks like.

Go back to the Create Media website, and read and follow, step by step, the second option, Use the tool to create installation media.

This isn't a RTFM.. it's, well, "Hey, there's a manual you can follow, fortunately."

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Factor Mystic posted:

Same. Not sure why. I'm running Pro edition like everyone else, and I simply do not have any problems. Maybe I once set a GPO and forgot about it and that's what's saved me all this time? I truly do not know.

The problem is Windows behaves wildly inconsistently between different systems.

For example search is completely broken on my Surface Pro but works fine on the old HP castoff from work which has pretty much replaced it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

redeyes posted:

No dude, you run the tool on a working computer. Click the option (in the utility) to create a USB boot drive. Put in the USB stick. Allow it to create the bootable USB stick.

Boot broken computer with USB stick. Reinstall windows on the largest partition. DO NOT remove any partitions.

You are obviously using a working computer to post. click DOWNLOAD TOOL NOW. Run the file it gives you.

Put in USB memory stick. Click the option to make a bootable USB stick.

Wait for it to do its thing, will take 5-10 mins, possibly more.

Mobile posting
Thanks, Iíll try it tomorrow when I have access to my work's computer

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Mobile posting
Thanks, Iíll try it tomorrow when I have access to my work's computer

Ah ok. Yes you'll need that computer to make the bootable USB installer.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

redeyes posted:

Ah ok. Yes you'll need that computer to make the bootable USB installer.

Incidentally, does creating that thing affect the computer in any way? Donít wanna get in trouble

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally, does creating that thing affect the computer in any way? Donít wanna get in trouble

Nope.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Mobile posting
Thanks, I’ll try it tomorrow when I have access to my work's computer

Then how did you download the tool and put it on a stick? Or did you do it at work?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Then how did you download the tool and put it on a stick? Or did you do it at work?

Yes, at work, but I did it in a hurry so I missed the instructions

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Gotcha. Ok good now you should be fine, but for Xenu's sake, if you aren't sure what option to choose or whatever, ask us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is scaling a bit messed up in the Spring update? My display's in 4K with 200% scaling, if I change it to 1920x1080 for a moment then the system tray popup is all squashed with half the icons missing. I've had weirder stuff too, like Windows settings menus appearing at half height, and if I drag them bigger the extra space is just empty like it's not trying to render it. Or Steam coming back from a game in 1080p, but Steam has the UI taking up a quarter of the window (at 100% scale, I guess) until I maximise it.

Just really janky weirdness that never used to happen, the icons thing doesn't fix until I sign back in

«270 »