Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«295 »
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

I use https://displaycal.net/ to calibrate my screens. It also includes a program which keeps applying the calibration files in case something fucks with the color calibration.

I'll give this a go, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 19, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Factor Mystic posted:

Good news, they (probably) fixed (most of) the bug(s) that deleted all your files: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ndows-insiders/

Here's an amusing parallel I noticed, related to this Windows bug. In WSL you can change the Windows mount point from /mnt/c to whatever. Someone posted a github issue where they changed the mount point, but the previous /mnt/c folder still existed, and wondered if they should be removed by the system when you change your mount point.

A Microsoft engineer replied

quote:

This is by-design. The /mnt/c directory is the mount point. Cleaning these up would be problematic because let's say you changed your DrvFs drives to mount at /win/* and started putting files under /mnt/c which is now just a real directory. If we deleted these directories we could potentially be causing user data loss. I suggest after changing the automount root directory, that you clean these up manually.

Too bad that guy didn't review the very similar sounding change to redirected user folders

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good summary for 1809 issues

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ows-10-updates/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shout-out to everyone who pointed out that I could re-use the Win7 key from my wife's desktop to re-install it on her new SSD and get a free upgrade to 10 If the Office 2013 key that I used on my laptop can be re-used on her desktop then I'll be golden (sorry if it's :files: to suggest that)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

C-Euro posted:

Shout-out to everyone who pointed out that I could re-use the Win7 key from my wife's desktop to re-install it on her new SSD and get a free upgrade to 10 If the Office 2013 key that I used on my laptop can be re-used on her desktop then I'll be golden (sorry if it's :files: to suggest that)

Office 2013/16/19/365 keys are active keys for the most part. You could end up taking the license away from her computer. You want to roll the dice, that's up to you. On the other hand, I know I still have an institution-account Office 365 5-seat license from my community college from yonks ago going strong.

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because they're device-specific and once the hardware configuration is licensed via the old Hit the Internet With Windows 10 After Upgrading From an Activated Old Windows With Windows 10 Install Media trick Microsoft's licensing servers don't give a poo poo what 7/8/.1 key it came from. (Note that this is also likely if you're reusing a license key on multiple systems but the BSA/Marshals/Mounties/etc probably don't care unless you're doing business stuff with it.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2018 around 01:44

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

dont be mean to me posted:

Office 2013/16/19/365 keys are active keys for the most part. You could end up taking the license away from her computer. You want to roll the dice, that's up to you. On the other hand, I know I still have an institution-account Office 365 5-seat license from my community college from yonks ago going strong.

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because they're device-specific and once the hardware configuration is licensed via the old Hit the Internet With Windows 10 After Upgrading From an Activated Old Windows With Windows 10 Install Media trick Microsoft's licensing servers don't give a poo poo what 7/8/.1 key it came from. (Note that this is also likely if you're reusing a license key on multiple systems but the BSA/Marshals/Mounties/etc probably don't care unless you're doing business stuff with it.)

Nah the Windows 7 key that I first installed on the new SSD was from her old now-dead HDD, so I don't feel bad about re-using it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dont be mean to me posted:

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because they're device-specific and once the hardware configuration is licensed via the old Hit the Internet With Windows 10 After Upgrading From an Activated Old Windows With Windows 10 Install Media trick Microsoft's licensing servers don't give a poo poo what 7/8/.1 key it came from.

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because it's got data-collection and ads

also because all the pirated XP & 7 installs that never got updated inflicted a massive amount of damage to their ecosystem and the public perception of windows' security

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

~death to capitalism~
Chrome OS is shit
Every DSA is a cop

Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because it's got data-collection and ads

also because all the pirated XP & 7 installs that never got updated inflicted a massive amount of damage to their ecosystem and the public perception of windows' security

But more importantly because a good quarter billion legit licenses are bought anyway with new consumer/business computers, and then a lot of those need additional licensing. Same as it ever was.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Does anyone else have the History button show up underneath the Close Window button at the top right in the Calculator app? Assuming you have the window shrunk to minimum size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The eyes never stop staring.

isndl posted:

Does anyone else have the History button show up underneath the Close Window button at the top right in the Calculator app? Assuming you have the window shrunk to minimum size.

Yes. 1803 here.

«295 »