Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah really I'm just annoyed that this is basic functionality they still haven't fixed, it's really silly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah you used to be able to, then they removed it and broke the option in group policies and you had to do it in the registry, not sure if that is still the case.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

baka kaba posted:

yeah really I'm just annoyed that this is basic functionality they still haven't fixed, it's really silly!

MS is working on a new launcher that's similar to those programs, I guess we'll see how that one behaves.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

what the? how is this so much faster?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Its because its not reporting every keystroke back to MS. Also MS can't write a search to save their lives. Been that way since the beginning.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This reminds me, we had a server that had some weirdly named files on it's NTFS partition created by a virus. We just could not get them removed with any Windows tools.

Boot Linux, mount partition with NTFSG3 and it deleted them with no problems. Sometimes you just want stuff to just work.

My main experience with this is in the opposite direction - creating files on Linux with NTFS-3G on an external drive with punctuation Windows doesn't like and causing issues for people when I give them their drives back. There's a mount option in NTFS-3G to prevent it from allowing files with names technically valid under NTFS but that Windows doesn't like from being created, but I've never figured out how to set it as a default for hotplug automounts.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rinkles posted:

As I understand it, Everything only hits file names while Microsoft is also searching inside documents and zip files. You would think Microsoft could have set it up as a two stage process though (return hits on filenames and then start searching in files after).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Celexi posted:

I must be blind, where is the hardware scheduling option in the settings?
Needs the 20H1 insider release, which is on Release Preview ring now I think, and then the 450 series NVidia driver.

Once all that's running, it's in Graphics settings, called Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

Also MS can't write a search to save their lives.

Yes. Pretty much everything that involves searching in Windows is total poo poo, and has been that way for ages, even search in (explorer) Windows 7 is poo poo. Third party applications are simply necessary.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Needs the 20H1 insider release, which is on Release Preview ring now I think, and then the 450 series NVidia driver.

Once all that's running, it's in Graphics settings, called Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling.

Yep, 2004 (we've moved up a month this time, presumably to discourage confusion with Windows Server 2003?) is in Release Preview. But the ISO is not yet available.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i remember windows xp’s search function being pretty good. was it actually better or did i just demand less of it in those days?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember it being bad and disabling the indexing service because that's the sort of thing I thought was really cool back then. I used Agent Ransack for searching in my XP days.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

disabling indexing after every fresh windows install was the cornerstone of my youth

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-xp-pro-x64-64-bit-service-pack-2-service-configurations/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Weedle posted:

i remember windows xp’s search function being pretty good. was it actually better or did i just demand less of it in those days?

Xp search did actually work, it just wasn't fast

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

it's not actually the searching that's bad in 10 (maybe it is but I only use it to launch programs really), it's the fact its sorting of the results is so screwy that typing more of the top result's name can actually make it drop in relevance

if the Dell thing was a better match for "up", why isn't it better for "upd"? It's part of the same word that was being matched before. It means that you can't just quickly hit start and type a few letters of the name and hit return, because if you don't type the correct number you might get the wrong thing. It sucks!!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Combat Pretzel posted:

makes sense, anyway thanks to your post and ending up installing the dch drivers, I have found out the dch drivers makes my computer faster, even the current version one dch version

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I have none of these start menu problems, but I also uninstall poo poo that I never want to use. Or at least delete the shortcuts in the start menu folder.

But yeah windows search indexing sucks. It's an ancient part of the OS and rather than going back and fixing it, they dream up new failures like advanced unusable filesystems or cortana.

Rinkles posted:

e:actually, it looks like you used to be able to before the anniversary update

Celexi posted:

yeah you used to be able to, then they removed it and broke the option in group policies and you had to do it in the registry, not sure if that is still the case.

the group policy method does work now

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I've seen the option for DCH GPU drivers when updating my gaming rig, but I read on Nvidia's forums that you can't use those if you have the regular version installed? So I've passed on them.

Maybe that just means you can't install DCH over top of regular. That might not apply to me because I yank the ethernet and uninstall the current driver via control panel first.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

I've seen the option for DCH GPU drivers when updating my gaming rig, but I read on Nvidia's forums that you can't use those if you have the regular version installed? So I've passed on them.

Maybe that just means you can't install DCH over top of regular. That might not apply to me because I yank the ethernet and uninstall the current driver via control panel first.

You can go from Standard to DCH with no special procedure, at least you're supposed to be able to.

To go the other direction requires a full uninstall of the DCH drivers before you can install standard again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DCH is just some different installation/management method or some poo poo. I should probably look into it, but actual the driver files are the same. So there shouldn't be any performance differences.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Combat Pretzel posted:

DCH is just some different installation/management method or some poo poo. I should probably look into it, but actual the driver files are the same. So there shouldn't be any performance differences.

There should be something different or they wouldn't be putting explicit warnings not to extract drivers for manual installation. Maybe it's only an issue if Windows isn't already on DCH drivers though.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm using Windows 10 with a local account, how safe is it from unsanctioned physical access? Specifically can a perpetrator somehow access my browser data or desktop outlook if they can't guess the windows account password? Would upgrading to pro for bitlocker be a good idea if it's a real concern?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shy posted:

I'm using Windows 10 with a local account, how safe is it from unsanctioned physical access? Specifically can a perpetrator somehow access my browser data or desktop outlook if they can't guess the windows account password? Would upgrading to pro for bitlocker be a good idea if it's a real concern?

without bitlocker they can just plug-in the drive to another computer or boot a live linux and read the disc contents

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I think that's more of a home security question. But if someone can walk away with the hard drive, anything that's not encrypted is trivial to get to.
If it's a real concern for you, get one of those cheap pro keys from SA mart or eBay and enable bitlocker.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

isndl posted:

As I understand it, Everything only hits file names while Microsoft is also searching inside documents and zip files. You would think Microsoft could have set it up as a two stage process though (return hits on filenames and then start searching in files after).

Exactly this. Everything! is like instantaneous. Leave it open all the time, and set a hotkey combo for "show window" in the settings. I use ctrl-space. It's major time-saver for all sorts tasks, not just for launching programs.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Shy posted:

Physical access is full access.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

Practically you shut the computer down, shove in a boot USB or CD, get to a command prompt and rename copy CMD.exe to UTILMAN.exe. Reboot normally, on the login screen the Ease of Access button when clicked drops you to a root shell after which you can just add an Administrative user. One more reboot and you are in the new admin account and can change the original user password. There are other more hacky ways as well. Only takes maybe 2-3 mins.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

redeyes posted:

Practically you shut the computer down, shove in a boot USB or CD, get to a command prompt and rename copy CMD.exe to UTILMAN.exe. Reboot normally, on the login screen the Ease of Access button when clicked drops you to a root shell after which you can just add an Administrative user. One more reboot and you are in the new admin account and can change the original user password. There are other more hacky ways as well. Only takes maybe 2-3 mins.

You don't have to go through all that hacky stuff, simply use a Windows USB installer or boot into the recovery menu and open up the command prompt. You can enable the hidden admin account from that and easily change the password.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does it work differently if you’re using a Microsoft account and PIN?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Not really, the hidden admin account is always present. And even without it: Unless you're encrypting your drive (using Bitlocker, for example), everything is easily accessible.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's too simplified to be a good answer here.

Someone with physical access could do something like install a key logger in your keyboard and learn all your passwords. But if they just steal the computer, they're not getting access to properly encrypted data.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lambert posted:

You don't have to go through all that hacky stuff, simply use a Windows USB installer or boot into the recovery menu and open up the command prompt. You can enable the hidden admin account from that and easily change the password.
Hmmm, really? Last time I tried to fix a borked installation, eventually it just wanted me to log in with the primary account before proceeding to the command prompt. WinRE is a pretty pain in the rear end IMO.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Is there a way to enable multi-user RDP on Win 10 pro?

I'm also looking for an alternative for TeamViewer

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Na, that's considered a terminal server. You can try AnyDesk.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

SpaceAceJase posted:

I've used this in the past: https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't know anything about audio, so there's probably a good reason for this, but why isn't there a system sound equalizer in Windows?

Trying to get the speakers plugged into my laptop's audio jack to not sound like poo poo.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 20, 2020

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The drivers for my onboard audio provide that functionality. Some Realtek HD Control Panel thing. The settings there apply globally across the system.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I don't know anything about audio, so there's probably a good reason for this, but why isn't there a system sound equalizer in Windows?

Trying to get the speakers plugged into my laptop's audio jack to not sound like poo poo.

I just started using Equalizer APO. It's free, uses the Windows audio device "enhancement" system, and you can select which audio devices to apply the settings to.

Be warned that you'll have to read a tutorial because it was definitely created by an engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Fallom posted:

I just started using Equalizer APO. It's free, uses the Windows audio device "enhancement" system, and you can select which audio devices to apply the settings to.

Be warned that you'll have to read a tutorial because it was definitely created by an engineer.

There is also the PEACE GUI.. https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

It is a mildly easier to use GUI to control the Equalizer APO.