Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AlternateAccount posted:

LTSC is a tank and fantastic. I just don't know if I could get away with it on a GAMING PC. No Store seems to screw with a lot of things, too.

I'm gaming on my main PC on LTSB. It runs steam, epic games launcher, the EA one, GOG Galaxy, etc. Not sure why the store would matter, I've never had a need for a store app yet on any PC, and my others ones are mostly on 10 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rexxed posted:

I'm gaming on my main PC on LTSB. It runs steam, epic games launcher, the EA one, GOG Galaxy, etc. Not sure why the store would matter, I've never had a need for a store app yet on any PC, and my others ones are mostly on 10 Pro.

I think I tried to do an Xbox Game Pass thing once, and obviously that didn't work. No big loss.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ah, gotcha, I haven't tried the MS gaming stuff since they closed down the windows live gaming stuff that was integrated with the steam version of Dawn of War or DoW2.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Jippa posted:

What third party free software would people recommend for monitoring my own internet connection/stability etc?

Quoting for the new page + because I would also like to know this.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

I have an xps 13 and 15 that this has been happening intermittenly on since i got them I think?

part of my issue i think was an undervolt (tho, IIRC, my xps 15 has done that since they upgraded the bios to disallow undervolting)

I'm undervolting and never had a problem before 2004. I also turned off the undervolt because of the BIOS update.

Also, you can re enable the undervolt capabilities by resetting the BIOS to "Factory Defaults"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jippa posted:

What third party free software would people recommend for monitoring my own internet connection/stability etc?

What aspect do you want to monitor? Connectivity, bandwidth monitoring, uptime, applications allowed, what?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

FCKGW posted:

I'm undervolting and never had a problem before 2004. I also turned off the undervolt because of the BIOS update.

Also, you can re enable the undervolt capabilities by resetting the BIOS to "Factory Defaults"

FYI this doesn't work for everyone and some people have reported instability after doing it

either way it's probably an oversight because Intel is locking that stuff down, since it's their fix for Plundervolt so expect the next BIOS update to close that loophole. If you want to block it, you'll have to go into the BIOS and disable "UEFI capsule firmware updates" because Windows Update will force it on you otherwise

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I never got into PowerShell and am far more comfortable in Linux as command-lines go, but I use powershell to SSH into my Linux homelab box.

I'm tired of typing out "ssh name(at)192(dot)168(dot)etcetc" over and over again, and would just like to make an alias command that allows me to type in, say, "sshlab" and it'll enter the command for me. Can I and how.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I never got into PowerShell and am far more comfortable in Linux as command-lines go, but I use powershell to SSH into my Linux homelab box.

I'm tired of typing out "ssh name(at)192(dot)168(dot)etcetc" over and over again, and would just like to make an alias command that allows me to type in, say, "sshlab" and it'll enter the command for me. Can I and how.
You should just be able to make a function and add it to your $profile file.

As a lovely oneliner you could do something like this to add it:

quote:

"$([Environment]::NewLine)function sshlab() {ssh whatever}" >> $profile
Or just do notepad $profile and add it normally:

quote:

function sshlab()
{
ssh whatever
}

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 8, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just got a new Dell XPS 17. Is there anything in particular I super duper need to install/uninstall from it when I get it up and running for the first time (besides loving McAfee)?

Do I need to do one of those clean Win 10 installs on it, like all the nerds say to do on some computers?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

I just got a new Dell XPS 17. Is there anything in particular I super duper need to install/uninstall from it when I get it up and running for the first time (besides loving McAfee)?

Do I need to do one of those clean Win 10 installs on it, like all the nerds say to do on some computers?

I have a Dell laptop from work and it doesn't seem too bad in terms of bloat, but it's also Windows 10 Pro - I don't know what version you have and the amount of crap they might have loaded onto it. I'd go through Settings and uninstall the stupid games and such, also check the privacy settings, and reduce the number of things launching at startup. You can also check "Background Apps" and either turn them all off or turn some of them off depending on your preference. I disabled a bunch of crap like Windows Maps and Mail and Weather which I never use and don't care about, for instance.

The Dell-specific stuff like the updater and a few other things seem fine, and I've already used it to update the BIOS successfully.

If you're going to do a clean install you'll probably lose the recovery partition, and will need to decide which Dell stuff to install separately. If you can clean up the existing install I wouldn't be in a rush to nuke and pave it, personally.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I may be misremembering, but didn’t uninstalling McAfee used to gently caress with your computer somehow, so there was like a special way you had to do it or something to keep that from happening?

Is that still true?

Was that ever true?

EDIT:

Boy I sure do wish there was a way to watch this with closed captioning.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 9, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's very weird to see something that makes me actually feel something like respect for McAfee.

I. M. Gei posted:

I may be misremembering, but didn’t uninstalling McAfee used to gently caress with your computer somehow, so there was like a special way you had to do it or something to keep that from happening?

Is that still true?

Was that ever true?

It definitely was true, and some Norton products could do similar poo poo. If I recall the worst was trying to uninstall them under Windows XP, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were obnoxious on later versions, too. I think under Windows 10 it should be fairly straightforward, but if you wanted to be careful you could try starting up in Safe Mode and remove it from there.

Here's the official McAfee uninstall page (with a lolworthy recommendation to activate before uninstalling so you can reinstall their wonderful software later):

https://service.mcafee.com/webcente...e%3Dspo6h560u_9

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just do a regular uninstall of McAffee and run their special uninstallation tool after to make sure

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Check in disk management and see if there's a big reserved partition (10GB+). Last dell laptop I bought had a full image of the OS as a backup and it took up a lot of space on the SSD so I just did a clean install and wiped out all of the volumes to get that space back.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

So for some reason when I open Snip & Sketch and click "New," this pops up:

Trying to use the PrtScr shortcut to start a new Snip just does nothing at all. I've tried uninstalling the app, removing all traces of it and reinstalling, doing the AppManifest thing in PowerShell, and running all of the sfc/health scans with no luck. I'm on a fresh install of v2004, haven't done any weird third party changes to registries or anything like that. Any ideas on how else to fix it?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

There's no reason not to do a clean install, it will be less hassle than figuring out what you want to uninstall and doing that. You don't need to type in a key and you'll be logging into Windows within 15-20 minutes of booting to install media.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

i vomit kittens posted:

Trying to use the PrtScr shortcut to start a new Snip just does nothing at all. I've tried uninstalling the app, removing all traces of it and reinstalling, doing the AppManifest thing in PowerShell, and running all of the sfc/health scans with no luck. I'm on a fresh install of v2004, haven't done any weird third party changes to registries or anything like that. Any ideas on how else to fix it?

https://getgreenshot.org/

I. M. Gei posted:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's no reason not to do a clean install, it will be less hassle than figuring out what you want to uninstall and doing that. You don't need to type in a key and you'll be logging into Windows within 15-20 minutes of booting to install media.

FYI the Reset This PC feature with "remove everything" (settings -> update & security -> recovery) will be a clean install without having to get a USB stick or anything other than click button.

However, on laptops there are often installed programs that control special keyboard shortcuts like brightness up/down, and possibly other hardware QoL features. Clean reinstall will lose those and you probably want them back. If it's a Dell you can probably get those easily from Dell's website again. I have an asus craptop where all these programs are not linked nice and easy one the asus website, but luckily some guy is maintaining a list of easy direct links.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Honestly I don’t feel too comfortable doing a clean install. I’m not some magical ultragenius computer wizard like the rest of you are. I’m scared I might mess something up, or lose something I can’t get back.

I also ordered some software to go with this laptop that may or may not already be installed on there. Am I gonna lose any of that forever if I do the clean install thing?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i vomit kittens posted:

I know you want Windows Shell Experience Host, but hosed if I know how to get it in there when it's a protocol rather than an extension and Windows won't give you a GUI for it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I. M. Gei posted:

Honestly I don’t feel too comfortable doing a clean install. I’m not some magical ultragenius computer wizard like the rest of you are. I’m scared I might mess something up, or lose something I can’t get back.

I also ordered some software to go with this laptop that may or may not already be installed on there. Am I gonna lose any of that forever if I do the clean install thing?

You're far more likely to mess something up without a clean install. It's very, very easy nowadays. It's arguably easier to do a clean install then to try and remove poo poo on your own.

What was the software? It almost certainly comes with a license.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

jokes posted:

You're far more likely to mess something up without a clean install. It's very, very easy nowadays. It's arguably easier to do a clean install then to try and remove poo poo on your own.

What was the software? It almost certainly comes with a license.

Photoshop and some “PC-Mover” transfer-all-your-poo poo-from-one-computer-to-another type of thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I. M. Gei posted:

Photoshop and some “PC-Mover” transfer-all-your-poo poo-from-one-computer-to-another type of thing.

Photoshop probably came with a license code somewhere, and if not it might be in the software itself, or attached to your adobe ID. For moving your poo poo from one computer to another, there are undoubtedly better options out there.

Generally nothing of value is lost when I do clean installs. Sometimes I’ll forget my emulator/ROMs and lose a bunch of progress in Pokémon or a completed save file in final fantasy, but my photos and work things go ~to the cloud~

There are also options within windows where it keeps all your files, deletes your apps, and just reinstalls windows.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I find fresh installs mildly annoying in general, but slightly moreso in Windows 10 due to having to tell it not to spy on me in so many different control panels and always wondering if I got them all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I. M. Gei posted:

Unless something's changed in the last couple years they don't really add much software on there, nah. So you'll be fine leaving it. You can always delete stuff later (like SupportAssist) if you feel like you don't need it

also while you're at it you could add Command | PowerManager (yes that's the name) which lets you right click the battery icon and get access to stuff like the battery mode and some quick power profiles

You can set these in the BIOS but it's nice to be able to do it in Windows without restarting, especially if you want to go from Primarily AC (prolongs the battery life by charging up to 70% or so) to a normal charge (100%) before you go out

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been using work macbooks for years now and hadn't futzed with Win10 in too long.. just built up a new PC again and have a great windows install.

Are there any good "Win10 first configuration" lists someone can point me to? Looking for general advice beyond updating hardware drivers that will help me ensure settings are where they need to be and any other considerations I should be aware of.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MMD3 posted:

I've been using work macbooks for years now and hadn't futzed with Win10 in too long.. just built up a new PC again and have a great windows install.

Are there any good "Win10 first configuration" lists someone can point me to? Looking for general advice beyond updating hardware drivers that will help me ensure settings are where they need to be and any other considerations I should be aware of.

The new Edge browser is really nice, basically chrome with a MS wrapper. I usually do not log into any MS accounts and use a local login.

I definitely remove all the apps I dont want or use, like Xbox, News, etc. For a workstation I usually turn off hybrid suspend and disable suspend in general. I find that suspending tends to make systems unstable for whatever reason... not bad but for an actual workstation, that is turned off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

redeyes posted:

The new Edge browser is really nice, basically chrome with a MS wrapper. I usually do not log into any MS accounts and use a local login.

I definitely remove all the apps I dont want or use, like Xbox, News, etc. For a workstation I usually turn off hybrid suspend and disable suspend in general. I find that suspending tends to make systems unstable for whatever reason... not bad but for an actual workstation, that is turned off.

I've been maining Chredge for a couple months and it owns

It even lets me do all my dumb DoD smart card stuff that I always had trouble with in Chrome and Firefox

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

New Edge is going to have vertical tabs at some point too, so if you're the sort of person to have 50 tabs open at once it'll be a lot easier to see which one is which.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Guessing I won't jump ship from Chrome just because I like having a shared profile across platforms (will continue using mac for work) but I'm curious what you're liking about Edge that makes it preferred over Chrome

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MMD3 posted:

Guessing I won't jump ship from Chrome just because I like having a shared profile across platforms (will continue using mac for work) but I'm curious what you're liking about Edge that makes it preferred over Chrome

I don't use it but Edge is also on Mac just FYI

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

please it's called Medge

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MMD3 posted:

Every other Chrome patch would give me dumb performance issues and after Google rolled out that heinous AMP bullshit I didn't want to use anything that relied on a Google account. It's nice that it integrates better with Windows and on my Macbook I use Safari anyway.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

MMD3 posted:

Edge has (significantly) lower memory usage than Chrome, and plays Netflix in 1080p.

(And it also has a Mac version so you can still use a shared profile across platforms.)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

biznatchio posted:

Edge has (significantly) lower memory usage than Chrome

Even the Chromium version?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Even the Chromium version?

Yes. It uses a newer heap allocator in Windows that significantly reduces memory usage. Chrome will be using it too in a few versions, but Chredge is already using it today.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

biznatchio posted:

Yes. It uses a newer heap allocator in Windows that significantly reduces memory usage. Chrome will be using it too in a few versions, but Chredge is already using it today.

I've been making light use of Edge and it seems fine. I've been thinking I should abandon Chrome and have been reducing what I run in that browser, but the integration with Google stuff and ease of having a single profile regardless of what machine I'm using has made it difficult to abandon altogether.

That said I'm also one of those weirdos who always has at least two different web browsers running at all times, and mains Firefox.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

having a single profile regardless of what machine I'm using

Chredge has this, and it works on all the cross-platform versions of Edge. It's more or less identical to what Chrome can do, except it's tied to a Microsoft account instead of a Google account. (Though I can't really say there's any advantage to using Edge on non-Windows platforms; it's basically just Chrome with a different skin on everything except Windows.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

biznatchio posted:

Chredge has this, and it works on all the cross-platform versions of Edge. It's more or less identical to what Chrome can do, except it's tied to a Microsoft account instead of a Google account. (Though I can't really say there's any advantage to using Edge on non-Windows platforms; it's basically just Chrome with a different skin on everything except Windows.)

Yeah, that's one thing slowing my adoption of it - they haven't released a Linux version yet and that's the environment I spend most of my time in.