Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Thanks y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Yes but it's based on hacking system files so you have to stay behind on win versions.
I ain't above hacking system files, but it's not something I'm real interested in doing this year for a minor visual effect. Thanks, though!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't get over how much I hate that there's no button to tell Windows to just restart the moment it's ready to when installing the 2004 update.

First it has to "get ready", then download and then install. All before it'll prompt you to reboot, which then also takes forever. And as icing on the cake the login is also incredibly slow, because it apparently still needs to do more stuff.

Why is there no "do all of this overnight" button? These lab computers are so loving slow. :negative:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Update > Advanced Options > Restart device as soon as possible

Unless it doesn't work with feature updates for some reason, or you're still on a version proper to 1903.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
On the sign in options there is also an option to have it automatically login with your account after restart to finish setup so when you actually input your password/pin/whatever its all setup.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

is there a setting to turn off the shake window to minimize everything gesture? and if so where is it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amppelix posted:

is there a setting to turn off the shake window to minimize everything gesture? and if so where is it

Group Policy, Configuration > Administrative Templates > Desktop > Turn off Aero Shake

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cheapest non sketchy place to grab an activation key these days? I see an abundance on ebay listed as Windows 10 keys, I assume they are just 7 keys listed as 10 for visibility? Only 5 bucks?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
SA-Mart, there are like, two or three goons distributing Windows 10 keys.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm getting tired how having to pave and clean install W10 on my 2013-era IdeaPad every six months because it consistently fails to install basic security updates for some reason. I can't afford to replace it, and I do most of my Windows only tasks on my desktop these days, so I'm considering just pulling the trigger on just making it a dedicated Linux Mint machine already.

The only reason it's not already dual-boot is ever since W10 came along, GRUB2 suddenly can't install/update properly anymore no matter how much I fiddle with the BIOS and Secure Boot settings.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm getting tired how having to pave and clean install W10 on my 2013-era IdeaPad every six months because it consistently fails to install basic security updates for some reason.

1. Try using the official Microsoft installer. Also as you mention 6 months (when Microsoft releases the big upgrade updates) try clean installing on clean disk (remove all partitions)
2. Try not using any cleanup scripts, debloaters, antibotnets or tweakers.

As you talk about Secure Boot you probably have uefi so convert disk to gpt and use efi loader

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 9, 2020

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Basic Microsoft installer also consistently fails. And I don't use cleanup nonsense, it's just like that. I think last time it may have tried to install the newest video drivers which caused crash on Windows boot up, so I may have to divert to Mint anyway.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm getting tired how having to pave and clean install W10 on my 2013-era IdeaPad every six months because it consistently fails to install basic security updates for some reason. I can't afford to replace it, and I do most of my Windows only tasks on my desktop these days, so I'm considering just pulling the trigger on just making it a dedicated Linux Mint machine already.

The only reason it's not already dual-boot is ever since W10 came along, GRUB2 suddenly can't install/update properly anymore no matter how much I fiddle with the BIOS and Secure Boot settings.

Have you actually wiped its SSD and repartitioned. if Windows 10 sees a rather non-standard OEM partition arrangement it usually fails updates in specular fashion.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

redeyes posted:

Have you actually wiped its SSD and repartitioned. if Windows 10 sees a rather non-standard OEM partition arrangement it usually fails updates in specular fashion.

Several times with every reinstall, and it's a HDD in CrystalDiskInfo verified good working order.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Odd man, real odd! No idea

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'd be testing for other kinds of hardware failure at that point. Memtest86, beat up the CPU with Prime95, etc.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

is there any easy way to kill a process with a shortcut?

RGB blinkin lights stuff triggers Easy Anti Cheat.. So I'd like a quick button to kill LightingServices.exe

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tater_salad posted:

is there any easy way to kill a process with a shortcut?

RGB blinkin lights stuff triggers Easy Anti Cheat.. So I'd like a quick button to kill LightingServices.exe

AutoHotkey + taskkill /f /im "LightingServices.exe"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can just assign a key combo to a shortcut file. There is a field for it in its properties. AHK is way overkill for this purpose.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You guys are way overthinking it.

Literally just right-click the desktop, select New->Shortcut and then when it asks you for the location of the item paste in the command
code:
taskkill /f /im "LightingServices.exe"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
A recent ComputerWorld article (linked) advised to download and save a clean copy of a Windows 10 (2004) install.
The article said the install could "...save your keester at some point.", but was not explicit what risk it would protect you from. The article referenced the driving factor being the next major version of Windows 10 (20H2) being released soon.

Article link:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3575089/pro-tip-sock-away-a-clean-copy-of-windows-10-2004.html

Good idea, or waste of time/click-bait? I was going to plan a new build soon, but not sure of what version of Windows 10 to place on it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nnnotime posted:

A recent ComputerWorld article (linked) advised to download and save a clean copy of a Windows 10 (2004) install.
The article said the install could "...save your keester at some point.", but was not explicit what risk it would protect you from. The article referenced the driving factor being the next major version of Windows 10 (20H2) being released soon.

Article link:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3575089/pro-tip-sock-away-a-clean-copy-of-windows-10-2004.html

Good idea, or waste of time/click-bait? I was going to plan a new build soon, but not sure of what version of Windows 10 to place on it.

I do this anyway out of habit. I have .iso files for Windows 7, a couple Windows 10, and a few versions of OpenSUSE Linux saved on local storage. I also currently have thumb drives with the Windows 10 2004 installer, OpenSUSE 15.2, and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed since those are the most recent installs I've done.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nothing wrong with having install media around, especially if you only have the one computer

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Always good to have rescue media handy.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

astral posted:

Always good to have rescue media handy.

I keep it on a thumb drive inside my case taped to the too of the drive cage. Occasionally it gets an update. But I always know where it is if i need it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nnnotime posted:

Article link:

I'm gonna say click-bait.

Everyone else is right that having a spare USB with the win10 installer on it is a useful recovery tool, and if you can update it twice a year to have the current version your PC is using it's even better.

But besides that, there's nothing special about 2004 in particular to need a special installer saved away. 2009 this fall is gonna be another minor version like 1909 was. 1909 rolled out very smoothly with few critical problems, I'd expect 2009 to do the same. Not that I'm gonna be checking for updates the day it comes out, I'll give it a month like normal to make sure. But I doubt that 2009 is gonna be a disaster.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I use Veeam to backup my PC and creating a rescue USB stick is part of the routine. Software's even free.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

I'm gonna say click-bait.

That page looks like those auto-generated spam pages you get when googling for windows problems.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh no, absolutely sock away an older copy of Windows now.

I had a bad upgrade to 2004, and couldn't get back onto 1903 to fix things.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

so I got updated and now my search looks like this in dark mode

is there a way to make this dark in dark mode or is it just gonna be a horrific nightmare everytime I try to search for something?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hey friends- Whats the good way to always keep a window on top? trying to keep a transparent terminal open over a youtube video

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

Hey friends- Whats the good way to always keep a window on top? trying to keep a transparent terminal open over a youtube video

there's a billion utilities that can do this, here's one
https://www.dcmembers.com/skrommel/download/ontop/

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Cerepol posted:

so I got updated and now my search looks like this in dark mode

is there a way to make this dark in dark mode or is it just gonna be a horrific nightmare everytime I try to search for something?

dev/beta channel only, currently:

https://twitter.com/MBulowius/status/1306236748922580992

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Now that they got theming figured out, maybe they can make the search actually work.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure Windows search exists do drive engagement for Bing by feeding it accidental Windows searches. Working as intended.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I updated to 2004 yesterday and now sites take a painfully long amound of time to load. Longer than on the wi-fi connected devices on the network.
Anyone have an idea of which obscure setting broke?

e: Seems to affect Firefox only.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 17, 2020

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stink Terios posted:

I updated to 2004 yesterday and now sites take a painfully long amound of time to load. Longer than on the wi-fi connected devices on the network.
Anyone have an idea of which obscure setting broke?

e: Seems to affect Firefox only.

DNS? It's always DNS.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde
Hopefully someone can help because this is driving me crazy and has been happening since I upgraded to 2004.

The mouse property "enhance pointer precision" keeps turning off every time I log off or shut down my computer. I have searched around, and followed the advice of turning off synced Windows settings and I have completely uninstalled the Logitech options (and logitech unify or whatever), but it is still happening. I don't see any startup apps that should be affecting this (just adobe stuff really). Anyone have any ideas? My mouse is a Logitech MX Master 2S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

NFX posted:

DNS? It's always DNS.

Not this time, I checked! It was affecting the entire system actually, Forza did NOT like whatever was happening.

I ended up rolling back the update today and that fixed it. 2004 is cursed.