Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rexxed posted:

If your SSD is full it's probably having a lot of write amplification. It's probably time to quickly buy a new one, image your old one to it, expand the volume and do your upgrade.

kinda depends. if it's a Sandforce controller (likely) it isn't really "full" due to compression, and a drive that's not getting much data written to it won't have many writes to amplify. instead of just blindly saying he should buy a new one on zero evidence, I'd recommend getting CrystalDiskInfo and seeing what it says about drive health.

Though SSDs are so cheap these days, an upgrade to 120gb is really a no-brainer for $40.

chippy posted:

So, I've just noticed that Windows 10 doesn't have Libraries and has gone back to the old way of just having a special 'Pictures' (etc.) folder which you can set as any folder if you want. I never really used it but I always assumed other people found it useful, did they say why they removed it?

I feel like they were only useful for a small part of the audience. They're nice if you like to organize files in different locations, but if you look at the average user's desktop you know that filesystem organization is an unknown concept.

But they're still there if you want to use them. You can also hide the folder shortcuts in my computer to cut the overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Has Microsoft said anything about System Restore?

On a clean install of Win10 build 10240, it's disabled. So I turned it back on. Then I upgraded to 14393 and it was turned off again. Is it a feature they're trying to kill off or something? Is there some other feature I should be using? My boot drive is a 120gb SSD, with plenty of free space, but maybe it's defaulting to disabled for "small" drives or SSDs or something?

I just don't get it. Does anyone have any idea what the story here is?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
What's my best bet for a VM on windows 10 home? I have a couple windows 95 games I want to run that I had a vm set up for on 7, but getting 95 to work in dosbox is a huge pain in the rear end and at this point i might as well just get a vm set up again.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Captain Novolin posted:

What's my best bet for a VM on windows 10 home? I have a couple windows 95 games I want to run that I had a vm set up for on 7, but getting 95 to work in dosbox is a huge pain in the rear end and at this point i might as well just get a vm set up again.

What VM software were you using before? VirtualBox and VMWare can import existing Virtual PC VM setups if that's what you're using (and can't anymore since vpc doesn't really work these days).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

xamphear posted:

Has Microsoft said anything about System Restore?

On a clean install of Win10 build 10240, it's disabled. So I turned it back on. Then I upgraded to 14393 and it was turned off again. My boot drive is a 120gb SSD, with plenty of free space, but maybe it's defaulting to disabled for "small" drives or SSDs or something?

This is exactly what's going on, and it is based on size. Also you couldn't system restore to a previous build even if you did have enough storage space for system restore to be default-on.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

This is exactly what's going on, and it is based on size. Also you couldn't system restore to a previous build even if you did have enough storage space for system restore to be default-on.
Yeah, I know you can't roll back to a previous OS install's restore points. It doesn't just remove the previous restore points, it disables the feature completely. But you're saying it's based on OS drive size? What's the minimum size for it to default to enabled? Do you happen to know, or does Microsoft have the number documented somewhere?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Just to be clear, are you saying that when you go Control Panel > System > System Protection, it doesn't allow you to turn it back on at all?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

fishmech posted:

Just to be clear, are you saying that when you go Control Panel > System > System Protection, it doesn't allow you to turn it back on at all?
I can turn it back on. It defaulted to off for a clean 10240 installation so I turned it on. Then turned itself back off when upgrading to 14939, without even mentioning it. When I went poking around, I saw it was off, and I turned it back on. The feature works once you turn it back on.

I'm just confused by why Microsoft seems to be showing the door to such a useful feature.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

They figure the system can't afford to devote space to System Restore, especially if they're installing things like desktop software or desktop games instead of just stuff from the Windows Store. Keep in mind that Windows (or at least the Store side of it) doesn't really expect a computer to have multiple user-accessible storage volumes inside the computer - not that it comes up much outside of tower computers and stuff, but still.

xamphear posted:

Yeah, I know you can't roll back to a previous OS install's restore points. It doesn't just remove the previous restore points, it disables the feature completely. But you're saying it's based on OS drive size? What's the minimum size for it to default to enabled? Do you happen to know, or does Microsoft have the number documented somewhere?

All I have observed is that it's off by default on my computers with 128 GB SSDs and on by default on my computers with 256 GB SSDs. If the line is at 128 GiB exactly then most 160 GB drives should be over the line unless they aggressively over-provision and every 128 GB drive would be well under the bar. I personally have no idea where the line should be but the next power-of-2 down is 64 GiB which is probably way too close a cut.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
When I was using the 10 preview on my very old laptop with a 60 GB drive, system restore was still enabled, so if they instituted a limit it would have been after main release. As far as size constraints in the release version, the smallest system drive I have in a Windows 10 machine right now is a 240 GB SSD, and that has system restore enabled.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Huh, so the breakpoint must be somewhere in the ~200gb neighborhood. Good to know. I'm just going to add "turn sure system restore back on" to my "what to do when windows does an in-place upgrade" notes. Along with "fix my video and image file associations, because, for some reason, Microsoft keeps loving that up." At least my default browser choice survived the upgrade.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

fishmech posted:

That process is literally the system kernel and the handler for a certain kind of paging. How many cores/threads do you have?

On my 4 core/8 thread system it usually idles around 1-2% CPU in normal circumstances, so 3% would sound about right for a system with fewer cores/threads, and especially with low RAM.

I checked on my old computer and there that process uses only 0-1.5% of CPU (usually under 0.5%). It's 2C4T machine with 4GB of RAM. Doesn't make sense that my way way more powerful computer has such high CPU usage for that process.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Quick question: Did any 1507 build before 10240 or any 1511 build before 10586 get a patch that took it above its initial patch level?

EDITED to reflect that 1507 started at 10240.16384, not .0.

EDITED AGAIN because never mind other 1607 builds have before today.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 23, 2016

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Trying to upgrade and I get the WindowsUpdate_C1900101 error.

Installer complains that I have a Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 x64 Minimum Runtime 12.0.21005 installed that is incompatible with Windows 10.

I removed that and it still complains about it being installed and incompatible. Anything to do?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Trying to upgrade and I get the WindowsUpdate_C1900101 error.

Installer complains that I have a Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 x64 Minimum Runtime 12.0.21005 installed that is incompatible with Windows 10.

I removed that and it still complains about it being installed and incompatible. Anything to do?

Have you tried upgrade it to the most recent version? I'm not up on VS platform packs, but there shouldn't be an issue with them for 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784&wa=wsignin1.0 Run windows update after installing it in case there are any service packs to apply.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Arsten posted:

Have you tried upgrade it to the most recent version? I'm not up on VS platform packs, but there shouldn't be an issue with them for 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784&wa=wsignin1.0 Run windows update after installing it in case there are any service packs to apply.

Thanks. I had a bunch of them since every Steam game likes to install its own version.

I upgraded from a USB drive install, and that went without problems, didn't have to do a clean install.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I am upgrading my dinky 120 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD soon so I can use it for more things than just W10. What would be the best way to move W10 from one SSD to the other?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fat_Cow posted:

I am upgrading my dinky 120 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD soon so I can use it for more things than just W10. What would be the best way to move W10 from one SSD to the other?

My preferred way to do it is to use DriveImage XML to copy the system drive over, and have a Windows 10 bootable install USB handy in case I need to use to repair the boot partition.

https://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Macrium Reflect does a drat good job at this. I used it to play SSD musical chairs the other day when I got an 500GB 850 EVO to replace the 250GB 840 in my desktop, then moved the 840 to my laptop to replace its lovely Crucial BX200, then moved the BX200 to my HTPC to replace its HDD. Not a single issue in the whole process.

If you use Reflect to migrate to a bigger drive, don't use the one-click drive copy because it will keep all your partitions the same size. Manually add the partitions you wish to clone one by one in the same order as they currently exist, including EFI/recovery partitions, until you add the main partition that you'll be expanding. Then go into advanced options and manually expand that one as large as you want it, being sure to leave space for any remaining partitions that will be following it. Once it's the right size add the partitions following it to the queue and then start the operation, and it should turn out like you want it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Looks like there is no way to pin actual shortcuts to Start, just that Most Used list which is anything but?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avalerion posted:

Looks like there is no way to pin actual shortcuts to Start, just that Most Used list which is anything but?

Er, you pin the shortcuts to the side of that list, as icons, or icons+text.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

Er, you pin the shortcuts to the side of that list, as icons, or icons+text.

Right click on the shortcut, say "Pin to Start" and then go to the right hand side of the start menu that pops up and Right-Click->Resize and then click and drag to move around as you see fit.

The icons on the right side operate akin to the iOS or Android shortcuts: Drag into groups / Move Around on Their Own (within a predetermined grid, of course)

Edit: I meant that for Avalerion. My bad.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

But there does not seem to be a way to put them on the left, right? Or am I just missing something? I can move the icon around on the right half but if I try moving it to the left there will a red stop circle on it.

Basically want to use that free gray space under my profile pic and above those folder links, like this: http://i.imgur.com/Y1ZSe14.jpg

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Avalerion posted:

But there does not seem to be a way to put them on the left, right? Or am I just missing something? I can move the icon around on the right half but if I try moving it to the left there will a red stop circle on it.

Basically want to use that free gray space under my profile pic and above those folder links, like this: http://i.imgur.com/Y1ZSe14.jpg

right-click -> more -> don't show on this list

repeat until the most used list has only things you use

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I'm trying to upgrade to windows 10. I don't want to upgrade I want to do a complete reinstall so I put windows 10 on a USB. I also used magical jelly bean to get my cd key of my old windows 7 installation. However now that I am doing the install via USB, I entered my old key where it asked for my key and it says that the key is invalid. What gives? I thought I could use my old key to reinstall to windows 10?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Klyith posted:

right-click -> more -> don't show on this list

repeat until the most used list has only things you use

Cheers this actually worked.

All in all the transition has been much smoother than I expected, after a few tweaks it's almost like having XP/7 back.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

So I'm trying to upgrade to windows 10. I don't want to upgrade I want to do a complete reinstall so I put windows 10 on a USB. I also used magical jelly bean to get my cd key of my old windows 7 installation. However now that I am doing the install via USB, I entered my old key where it asked for my key and it says that the key is invalid. What gives? I thought I could use my old key to reinstall to windows 10?

In order to get the free digital entitlement, you need to install over an activated copy of windows. You can clean install after this (which is NOT the same way as Windows 8.1 and down) by going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Get Start -> [Keep My Files / Remove Everything]. This will give you a fresh installation of Windows 10 (similar in concept to doing a reset on an Android or iOS device).

This will purge everything but device drivers (and optionally your files) from the system and give you a fresh start.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Avalerion posted:

Add shortcuts to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and they show up in the main list.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Add shortcuts to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and they show up in the main list.

I think he means the list that shows up before you click "All Apps"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arsten posted:

In order to get the free digital entitlement, you need to install over an activated copy of windows.
Not for months and months. I installed 10 to a blank SSD, using nothing but a 7 key. The drive that had 7 on it was sitting on a table at the time.

Knifegrab posted:

I also used magical jelly bean to get my cd key of my old windows 7 installation.
Knifegrab: is the PC you are upgrading where you got the 7 key a laptop or OEM (Dell/HP/Lenovo etc) computer? If so, that "key" is likely not the real one, and you need to find your actual key, the one printed on a sticker.

(Basic explanation is that major builders used to have a pre-activated OS image that they could install to all their models with the same hardware, and so they all have the same dummy key that won't work outside that initial image. The key stickers were there for when people needed to reinstall, there wasn't any step at the factory to put them into the OS. More recently in the Win8 days the OS does have a real key, because they figured out how to put keys into the BIOS chip. And the key in the BIOS is the same as the sticker.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 23, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Klyith posted:

Not for months and months. I installed 10 to a blank SSD, using nothing but a 7 key. The drive that had 7 on it was sitting on a table at the time.

Knifegrab: is the PC you are upgrading where you got the 7 key a laptop or OEM (Dell/HP/Lenovo etc) computer? If so, that "key" is likely not the real one, and you need to find your actual key, the one printed on a sticker.

(Basic explanation is that major builders used to have a pre-activated OS image that they could install to all their models with the same hardware, and so they all have the same dummy key that won't work outside that initial image. The key stickers were there for when people needed to reinstall, there wasn't any step at the factory to put them into the OS. More recently in the Win8 days the OS does have a real key, because they figured out how to put keys into the BIOS chip. And the key in the BIOS is the same as the sticker.)

Yeah that was the issue. Unfortunately the owner of the laptop peeled the stickers off because she didn't like how they looked...

Anyway I heard that if I upgrade to windows 10 through the system update in the control panel, once I launch windows 10 once, login and all that, I can then do a clean install and skip the product key because the machines hardware will now be associated with a valid windows install or something along those lines.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Klyith posted:

Just in case anyone has any doubt, this is correct and I did this on two PCs this week (well, not to SSDs, because I'm a cheap-rear end :v:).

Knifegrab posted:

Anyway I heard that if I upgrade to windows 10 through the system update in the control panel, once I launch windows 10 once, login and all that, I can then do a clean install and skip the product key because the machines hardware will now be associated with a valid windows install or something along those lines.

Yep. If by "login" you mean to your Microsoft account, that bit shouldn't be that important (supposedly in the update that is coming soon, logging in in that way will help in some way), but you want to make sure it could connect to the Internet to activate itself by checking the activation status in "System" before you go and do a clean install.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Arsten posted:

I think he means the list that shows up before you click "All Apps"

I'm on slow ring. I forget if they changed how it works at some point. I guess my directions are circa Anniversary Update.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Arsten posted:

In order to get the free digital entitlement, you need to install over an activated copy of windows. You can clean install after this (which is NOT the same way as Windows 8.1 and down) by going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Get Start -> [Keep My Files / Remove Everything]. This will give you a fresh installation of Windows 10 (similar in concept to doing a reset on an Android or iOS device).

This will purge everything but device drivers (and optionally your files) from the system and give you a fresh start.

I know this was already debunked, but is there any downside to doing it this way if I'm not changing HDs or anything? I want a clean install but I've never done a Windows upgrade before and I'm paranoid about something dumb happening, like trying to install from a flash drive after wiping the HD and finding that it can't read it because the USB drivers aren't there anymore or something. I like the idea of doing a simple upgrade and getting the entitlement stuff sorted out first before I do anything irrevocable, and then running something that just nukes all the excess junk and leaves me with a fresh install, it feels safer for someone like me who doesn't know what I'm doing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Suaimhneas posted:

I know this was already debunked, but is there any downside to doing it this way if I'm not changing HDs or anything?
Not at all.

In fact, there is an option during the upgrade process to change what is kept. Check step 17 in this tutorial. If you say to keep nothing, it will be drat close to a clean format install. Windows will be activated and there will be a 'windows.old' folder with the previous OS backup, nothing else. Back up your stuff first obviously.

Or later on, the Reset + Remove Everything is effectively the same as formatting & reinstalling, just without install media or needing to reactivate or anything. Totally automated.

Even if you do the most standard upgrade that keeps all your programs and files, it feels like a lot of Win10 issues don't need a format + reinstall to fix these days. The cruft builds up in the user profile not the OS dir. A fresh user profile solves many problems.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is there some way to use the Windows 8 metro mail app on Windows 10? Because the W10 version is seriously garbage.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is there some way to use the Windows 8 metro mail app on Windows 10? Because the W10 version is seriously garbage.

What's the malfunction?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Call Me Charlie posted:

bullshit, the 10 version is a billion times better than the worthless 8 version

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm building a new PC soon and will be forgoing an optical drive for the first time. The OEM windows via USB is like 20-30 dollars more than on DVD media, which seems really stupid. Is there a way for me to use my existing Windows 10 pc to make some type of installation media and then just pay for a new license once it's all up and running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DrNutt posted:

I'm building a new PC soon and will be forgoing an optical drive for the first time. The OEM windows via USB is like 20-30 dollars more than on DVD media, which seems really stupid. Is there a way for me to use my existing Windows 10 pc to make some type of installation media and then just pay for a new license once it's all up and running?

You can just run the downloader from the Microsoft site again, and have it make a USB drive, and use the key you get from the DVD package with it.