Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Looks like nerds are hammering the servers. I'm download at about 25% of my bandwidth; earlier, the previous build maxed it out.

I really love this up-to-date ISO thing they do now, coupled with the cumulative updates that actually act as such. In the Windows 7 days, you'd have to download three thousand cumulative updates. Remember those days? They didn't increment the build number between 1511 and 1607, but the latest ISO available of 1511 included updates slipstreamed up until April this year.

As someone who has, in the past, probably formatted machines for other people about 60 times over the years, this is a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Desktop updated fine, Surface says that it can't install right now because other updates are in progress. I have no idea what those are, but it doesn't seem to be downloading or installing anything that I can see.

The updates to Edge are neat; pinned tabs are super useful, and the current selection of extensions is promising, so I'm going to give it a whirl as my daily driver for a bit. I tried before but it just wasn't ready for prime time; it looks much more complete now (I can actually choose where downloads go now, such luxury!), although we'll see if it dies a slow and horrible death still when you open more than ten tabs.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

astral posted:

Since some people were curious: I upgraded from 1511 to 1607 via the ISO from the MS site I linked a couple posts up (mounted it and ran setup.exe) and didn't get candy crush etc re-added to my start menu.

Using Pro, already had set the option to not show me suggestions and whatever, also had set the policy that no longer is going to work on Pro.

I didn't get Candy Crush, but I did get Microsoft Solitaire Collection back. Also the "Get fun facts, tips and more" setting had flipped.

SinineSiil posted:

New sticky notes are giant :/
Since they are UWP now I suppose there's no hope for community fixes either?
Also the icon for them changed to "This PC" icon after a restart. Awesome

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Just installed the anniversary update. Kinda wish I hadn't since its apparently broken my PC. After the bios screen it starts artifacting then goes to a black screen with just an ASCII spade and the text input underscore where I can't do anything, which is super cool.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'll probably wait as long as possible to run the update. I think waiting for you guys to beta test it for me is a good idea.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My favorite anniversary edition feature/fix so far: from the Store's list of apps that have available updates, you can now click on an app in that list to go to its page and see what changed.

Also, from the Store's "My Library" page, you can now hide apps from the library.

SinineSiil posted:

I didn't get Candy Crush, but I did get Microsoft Solitaire Collection back. Also the "Get fun facts, tips and more" setting had flipped.

Looks like I did get Solitaire back, unless I'd just forgotten to uninstall it before. I believe the tips setting may have stayed off for me, but I don't remember 100%. Definitely would recommend people check.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 2, 2016

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I really love this up-to-date ISO thing they do now, coupled with the cumulative updates that actually act as such. In the Windows 7 days, you'd have to download three thousand cumulative updates. Remember those days? They didn't increment the build number between 1511 and 1607, but the latest ISO available of 1511 included updates slipstreamed up until April this year.

As someone who has, in the past, probably formatted machines for other people about 60 times over the years, this is a godsend.

Racing to abort the restart on a vanilla XP disc install 'cause you got hit with the worm of the month.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Most things stayed off for me. It reset my default browser and added a few icons to my taskbar and systray. Getting things back to how they were was pretty painless.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Well this is happening for me. I will report back as soon as it's done.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Biodome posted:

I have the education edition and checking for updates isn't showing the anniversary update yet. Annoying. Great to hear about Adblock, though!

I'm having the same problem. The Media Creation Tool for Education doesn't seem to be updated, despite the ISOs reportedly being available in the VLSC, and the Updater that pops up for the main Media Creation Tool doesn't work for Education. I guess they don't want to push it out yet. I don't know if it's in DreamSpark Premium, which is where I originally got it, because my classes don't start for two weeks. (The tool does work, but it still downloads 1511.)

Fake Edit: LOL at them calling the rebrand of Pro "Education Pro".

Hapless IT Guy somewhere: "Let's upgrade to Education Pro and get more features! It's even cheaper than Education Standard! I wonder why that is."

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

magimix posted:

I don't know how they dole it out, or how granular things might get within a given region, but I started pulling it down just after 6pm; snobby South Coast goon as I am.

Edit: It went through a good three restart cycles, but it went from 'download starts' to 'all installed and good to go' in around 45 minutes.

I am in the Wales, so who knows

Clicking 'learn more' about the latest updates within the WU dialog box sent me to a page with a direct download to it that started the update

ufarn
May 30, 2009

magimix posted:

Okay, two newb questions for this all at home with the anniversary update...

AdBlock, or AdBlockPlus for Edge? I use uBlock on Chrome and Firefox, so I don't have a familiar choice here.
How do you start the new bash shell? I tried' bash' but it didn't find anything.

Edit: I will note that my previous choices with respect to stuff like 'privacy' didn't appear to have been messed up, which is good.
Ad Muncher is a great general desktop app available for free that I really recommend. Saves you from a lot of the trouble of setting up different browsers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Icept posted:

Racing to abort the restart on a vanilla XP disc install 'cause you got hit with the worm of the month.

:negative: The horror...

I'm aghast that people I know are still able to get viruses and other poo poo like that that bottles their system in the face. I don't four wheel it all over the internet or anything, but the last time I had malware do anything I was aware of on my own machine was in 2007. These are people who probably just read news websites and shop online, and for some reason running the same software as I am doesn't stop them getting the computer equivalent of unstoppable gonorrhoea.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dpbjinc posted:

I'm having the same problem. The Media Creation Tool for Education doesn't seem to be updated, despite the ISOs reportedly being available in the VLSC, and the Updater that pops up for the main Media Creation Tool doesn't work for Education. I guess they don't want to push it out yet. I don't know if it's in DreamSpark Premium, which is where I originally got it, because my classes don't start for two weeks. (The tool does work, but it still downloads 1511.)

On the upside, once you get the update for Education you get to ditch Cortana. And they're doing that because education versions are ad-free.

Almost makes me want to go borrow a student id and buy a copy, but iirc edu pro is still nearly as expensive as retail.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, what should I do about my system getting the spinning dots of death in the middle of the upgrade? It's been on this black screen with spinning dots for about 2 hours now after restarting a couple of times.

Should note this is a dual-boot system with Mint and I accidentally let it auto go to Mint once because I missed the reboot.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
They've changed a bit how the updates work, and I can't find a good description of how it schedules restarts.

Let's say I'm on default settings, active hours 9-5. Windows installs an update at 2am. Does it reboot immediately, or does it schedule a reboot? If it schedules a reboot, how far in the future does it do so?

I don't want to fight updates, but I want to configure windows so that it will not reboot itself unless I'm gone for more than a day or multiple days. Is it already like that, or do I need to change a setting, or do I need to do something annoying/invasive?

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

zebez posted:

Well this is happening for me. I will report back as soon as it's done.

3rd reboot: black screen, it used my TV as main screen, wich was turned off.
4th reboot: was stuck on 91% for a few minutes.
21 minutes to login screen.
+1-2 minutes until desktop was loaded.

It had disabled my Win 7 dual boot. Had to reenable.
It reset all my nvidia settings.
It added edge and store to taskbar.

most things seems to be fine though.

Edit:
Steam activity fonts are squished. Looks fine in chrome. (Fixed in steam beta)
Killer Instinct stuck on checking DLC. FIXED (Go to Control Panel -> make your way to Troubleshooting -> in the left Panel hit "View All" -> Scroll Down to Windows Store Apps and trouble shoot. Had to do it twice and restart in between.)
Sound/speaker settings was all reset too.

zebez fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 2, 2016

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Looks like I'm gonna have to loving clean reinstall and format of my windows drive, a recovery disc isn't able to fix the boot, restore to a previous version or anything useful. Loving this update a whole bunch.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

zebez posted:

Steam activity fonts are squished. Looks fine in chrome.

Same here. What a weird thing to break.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

HMS Boromir posted:

So Tim Sweeney was right!

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

Seems to be fixed in Steam Beta.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SinineSiil posted:

New sticky notes are giant :/
Since they are UWP now I suppose there's no hope for community fixes either?

They updated them and now they force minimum size, so some of my notes are 3x times the size they should be. Wow!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Was on the release candidate fine, but now the 1607 cumultative update removed Cortana for me. As with many problems with Cortana/Start Menu, creating a new profile 'fixes' it, but a little disconcerting the SM still seems somewhat fragile at this point.

Not a huge loss mind you, but it at least liked the auto package tracking stuff.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Upgraded my desktop and laptop. Had to....uhm... re-enable hide when minimized on task manager.

Oh, and remove the new poo poo added to the task bar, but whatever, 2 icons.

Otherwise, nothing of note. I'm happy with it and have already installed my Ubuntu environment.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I wasn't able to upgrade via Windows Update and had to use the media creation tool.

I don't know why it was so horked. It's been doing all other Windows updates and Defender updates. I used the "nuclear" option to restart the update service and remove the updates directory to no avail.

Anyway...kind of cool to have "native" bash.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Upgraded via Windows Update. Only changes to my settings that I've noticed are that the upgrade deleted classic shell since it wasn't supported. Latest version is though so I probably just forgot to update it. They also pinned edge and the store back to my start menu. No new apps installed.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
For some reason it removed my wallpaper but that (and pinning stuff on my taskbar) was the only real annoyance

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edge extensions work great, but can be a bugger to install. They kept failing to install and needed to be completely removed and reinstalled, but once that was done they worked just as well as on Chrome.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh wait it also killed/broke the fork of the scarlet crush Dual Shock 3 drivers. poo poo.

edit: At least it reinstsalled right this time. Last time this happened (November update) it locked the controller as port 2 until I completely wiped the drivers out and rebooted.

edit 2: Seemed to break Rocket League a bit with high refresh rate monitors and g-sync. Locks to desktop refresh rate in fullscreen (g-sync works). Borderless just runs unlocked no g-sync even when g-sync is set to run for windowed applications. Oh well.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 3, 2016

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

fishmech posted:

Refusing to use IPv6 is a great way to cause yourself an increasing amount of problems as time goes on, not sure why you're so against it.

The only reason I'm against it is :effort: The cost is non-zero, whereas the benefit to me appears to be zero - I'm not using IPv6 now and nobody has said to me "the reason you can't do that thing you really want to do is because you don't have IPv6 enabled."

I'd have guessed that direct peer-to-peer things like Skype would benefit from IPv6, but then if I recall correctly one of the best things when Skype came out was how good it was at getting around NAT, proxies, etc., so I guess it doesn't actually matter for Skype.

Is your concern just that I'm part of the problem, like if I started using IPv6 then the "how many people use IPv6" stats would increase and the powers-that-be would start to switch off IPv4? Or are there cool things you actually do yourself which can only be done with IPv6?

quote:

NAT doesn't actually protect you against things.

I understand NAT doesn't do anything to protect me from my PC connecting to the botnet command and control servers or sending all my keystrokes to someone after I run the "hot hot girl on girl action.ppt.exe" email attachment or go to a bad website with an unpatched browser.

Are you telling me it doesn't prevent people outside of my network from attempting to connect to things inside of my network and stop me receiving ping of death type things (except if I happen to have recently established an outgoing connection with the same IP, port, etc.)? I don't know how many of Windows' vulnerabilities these days are the type that you can exploit over the network, but I wouldn't like to assume it's zero forever.

Okay, I guess technically maybe my home router's firewall is advanced enough to allow me to configure it to only allow outbound TCP connections, and only allow UDP datagrams to come in to systems it has already seen a corresponding outgoing message for, but isn't that what NAT is doing for me?

plushpuffin posted:

I'm sorry if this isn't helpful, but I just have to ask. How did you never encounter a "Get Windows 10" popup, an ad, or a news article or segment telling you about the free upgrade over the past year? Have you had Windows Updates turned off entirely, and were you deployed long-term to an Antarctic research station?

Yeah, I mean I never had to deal with the popups :smuggo: but I sure as hell heard everyone else in the world complaining about them.

fishmech posted:

It was good that Microsoft killed the paid browser, and is killing the paid antivirus, and anyone who disagrees is crazy.

Isn't it possible that when you give stuff away for free, you have less money to spend on making the software actually good, but everyone likes free stuff and just gets used to software being bad (or, in the case of AV, doesn't even know it's bad)?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Just upgraded. My PS/2 keyboard not working on cold boot & "airplane mode" appearing to always be on (even though it's off) got unfucked. I lost my color calibration though, so my colors currently look like washed out garbage. :( (I keep my color profile stored in creative cloud storage, so no real loss. Just not a pleasant welcome.)

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 3, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
For some reason ever since I updated to Windows 10 it has repeatedly told me that every one of my flash drives/sd cards was borked and it wanted to scan and fix them. Especially my ipod.
Sometimes I even let it do it. Even though they are all working fine.
So of course i forgot to pop the sd card out before updating my laptop. Added an extra 30mins onto the update making it a total of 2 hours.

No extra crap except for the skype preview which I uninstalled again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just got the Skype Preview and the Solitaire thing that showed back up. I still get a notification asking what to do with the G: drive, but there's nothing plugged in that's registering as G:, so I dunno what that's about. It's been happening since I upgraded to 10 last summer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AlexDeGruven posted:

You should be using Enterprise, and even if on Pro, you should have GP in place for this.

This is not Microsoft's fault, for all their failings. This is 100% poor planning.

Yeah, no.

Also, the update uninstalls Classic Shell. Thanks fuckfaces!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Education editions just went live. Download here if you're impatient. (You'll need your product key.)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

It added back all of the SSDs as "portable drives" in the Explorer pane. Removing them the same way I did in the last version of 10 made it so that the navigation pane always expands to the selected folder and ignores the check mark to stop doing that in Folder options. :(

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, no.

Wait, seriously? Actually uninstalls or just disables?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

FunOne posted:

Upgraded my desktop and laptop. Had to....uhm... re-enable hide when minimized on task manager.

Oh, and remove the new poo poo added to the task bar, but whatever, 2 icons.

Otherwise, nothing of note. I'm happy with it and have already installed my Ubuntu environment.

Yeah, my experience is the same. Upgrade went smooth. 2 extra icons on my taskbar to remove. Couple clicks and a reboot and now I have a bash shell and ssh without using putty.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
:siren:

Zero VGS posted:

:siren: holy poo poo don't re-install classic shell they got hacked :siren:
http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6434
:frogsiren: :frogsiren:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

(unless you're using a previously saved known-good installer file)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

:siren:

:siren: holy poo poo don't re-install classic shell they got hacked :siren:
http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6434
:frogsiren: :frogsiren:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

(unless you're using a previously saved known-good installer file)

Uh oh... I only did my own computer, but I used Ninite to reinstall. Wonder if I'm OK?

Edit: that's pretty brilliant if they waited for the Anniversary Update to do that hack, knowing that MS would completely uninstall the thing and most savvy users would immediately go to reinstall it.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 3, 2016