Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jokes posted:

I have a problem. I disabled Cortana because it's dumb and useless to me and I don't particularly care for it to collect my info if I never use it. However, I do want to search the internet via the Windows search icon but it too is disabled. What do?

"Cortana & Search Settings"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xamphear posted:

Stop and then disable the "Security Center" service. Defender AV will continue to run. Firewall will continue to run. Windows Update will continue to run. Those are all separate services. All "Security Center" does is nag you.

but then you also have to disable the action center, otherwise you get nagging that the security center is disabled and you should turn it back on

jokes posted:

I have a problem. I disabled Cortana because it's dumb and useless to me and I don't particularly care for it to collect my info if I never use it. However, I do want to search the internet via the Windows search icon but it too is disabled. What do?

turn cortana back on because that's how you search the internet from there. though you probably wouldn't be very happy with it anyways, since any web search from cortana uses Edge & Bing. there are convoluted workarounds to redirect that to firefox or chrome, but they seem to become more of a hassle every major windows update.

there are about a million ways to search the internet, and most of them collect your info

edit: that question is basically the same as "I blocked google.com at my router because I don't like google tracking me, how do I search the internet with google?"

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 21, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is there any way to complete disable Cortana now? The way I used to do it was to kill the task and then quickly rename the directory it was in. This doesn't work anymore.

There are also new horseshit icons in my start menu that don't seem to be apps, like "get help" and "mixed reality portal", how do I get rid of those?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 21, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shibawanko posted:

Is there any way to complete disable Cortana now? The way I used to do it was to kill the task and then quickly rename the directory it was in.

There are also new horseshit icons in my start menu that don't seem to be apps, like "get help" and "mixed reality portal", how do I get rid of those?

If they don't have an option for right click -> remove, you can try to follow these instructions:

https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog/delete-windows-10-apps/
http://mikefrobbins.com/2015/08/20/remove-app-packages-from-windows-10-enterprise-edition/

Second link is more detailed and despite the title saying Enterprise Edition it works exactly the same on any windows with powershell.

(You can also completely remove Cortana this way, but I don't recommend it because Cortana is also responsible for the useful things like type to find on the start menu and such.)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Klyith posted:

but then you also have to disable the action center, otherwise you get nagging that the security center is disabled and you should turn it back on

My Action Center is permanently set to Quiet Hours.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Klyith posted:

If they don't have an option for right click -> remove, you can try to follow these instructions:

https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog/delete-windows-10-apps/
http://mikefrobbins.com/2015/08/20/remove-app-packages-from-windows-10-enterprise-edition/

Second link is more detailed and despite the title saying Enterprise Edition it works exactly the same on any windows with powershell.

(You can also completely remove Cortana this way, but I don't recommend it because Cortana is also responsible for the useful things like type to find on the start menu and such.)

This doesn't work for Cortana for me, in the list of apps in powershell I also don't get anything that seems to match the "get help" stuff that's now in my start menu. Maybe it's just a link or something.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dont be mean to me posted:

The rollout is staged and can take weeks. Use the Upgrade Assistant or Media Creation Tool or 15063 ISO.

Well this is weird, it downloads the update to 100% (Assistant), i click update now, and it just restarts and downloads again.

Edit: Nope, still looking. Offers update, says it should go, then just re-downloads.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 22, 2017

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Deviant posted:

Well this is weird, it downloads the update to 100% (Assistant), i click update now, and it just restarts and downloads again.

Edit: Nope, still looking. Offers update, says it should go, then just re-downloads.

I had that issue as well when I was trying to get the update.

The Media Creation Tool worked though, I recommend using that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Actuarial Fables posted:

I had that issue as well when I was trying to get the update.

The Media Creation Tool worked though, I recommend using that.

Wouldn't that require me to do a full reinstall? I'm not well versed in this setup.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Deviant posted:

Wouldn't that require me to do a full reinstall? I'm not well versed in this setup.

Nope! You'll select what kind of install you want to do once it's done downloading. Click on "Change what to keep" and choose "Keep personal files and apps" to have it update as though you're doing it through Windows Update.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Deviant posted:

The Creators Update is a reinstall even through Windows Update, just without any of the reset or wipe parts. Simply choose to keep all your files and all your apps.

In fact, anything bigger than security rollups has been a reinstall since Windows 8.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Well, I'm glad I didn't clean up windows.old right away. Creators Update hosed up something in the USB driver/config and now it's reporting USB power surge even with nothing plugged in.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is there any way to complete disable action center now?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I find it weird that they named their search thing after a buxom hologram from a video game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

I find it weird that they named their search thing after a buxom hologram from a video game.

I still can't believe it,

But it's also kind of cute

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I can believe it

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Aaaaand got my first ever BSOD! So generic too! It's a little too convenient that it happened so close after updating to the latest Creators Update, no changes on my side like radical driver or hardware changes either... Haven't happened since either. Also I think what I was doing when it happened was just coping some files from one explorer window to another.

Any Ideas? (This might be outta place and not the thread to discus this, I don't want to turn this into some huge tech support derail. Sorry)

==================================================
Dump File : 042117-5734-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2017-04-21 1:46:04 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : ffffa656`31a0af83
Parameter 3 : ffff9481`17c6ad10
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : win32kfull.sys
Caused By Address : win32kfull.sys+9af83
File Description : Full/Desktop Win32k Kernel Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 10.0.15063.138 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+16bf70
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042117-5734-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 15063
Dump File Size : 682,236
Dump File Time : 2017-04-21 1:46:34 PM

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 23, 2017

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ow, gently caress. I didn't dodge a bullet with the Creator's update failing a week ago, it was just winding up for the mother of all haymakers. Had to refresh my install, and now Windows thinks my hardware's changed and I can't reach the authentication servers. I'm probably going to have to call them in the morning.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

Aaaaand got my first ever BSOD! So generic too! It's a little too convenient that it happened so close after updating to the latest Creators Update, no changes on my side like radical driver or hardware changes either... Haven't happened since either. Also I think what I was doing when it happened was just coping some files from one explorer window to another.

Any Ideas? (This might be outta place and not the thread to discus this, I don't want to turn this into some huge tech support derail. Sorry)

The Haus of Tech Support forum might be good too.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bieeardo posted:

Ow, gently caress. I didn't dodge a bullet with the Creator's update failing a week ago, it was just winding up for the mother of all haymakers. Had to refresh my install, and now Windows thinks my hardware's changed and I can't reach the authentication servers. I'm probably going to have to call them in the morning.

them = robot, call with a cell phone and you won't have to talk to a person

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Im_Special posted:

Dump File : 042117-5734-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2017-04-21 1:46:04 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : ffffa656`31a0af83
Parameter 3 : ffff9481`17c6ad10
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : win32kfull.sys
Caused By Address : win32kfull.sys+9af83
File Description : Full/Desktop Win32k Kernel Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 10.0.15063.138 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+16bf70
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042117-5734-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 15063
Dump File Size : 682,236
Dump File Time : 2017-04-21 1:46:34 PM

Off hand I'd blame RAMS. The 'creators' update is very minor and no drivers changes should occur.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

redeyes posted:

Off hand I'd blame RAMS. The 'creators' update is very minor and no drivers changes should occur.

That's not really a driver. It's part of the Win32 API's kernel interfaces, which certainly would have changed.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

redeyes posted:

Off hand I'd blame RAMS.

This is my only guess as well, does RAM just one day go bad though?

Anyway, I've heard of MemTest86 before but never actually used it, do I just grab the latest version (MemTest86 v7.3 free edition) put it on a USB, then boot from it and let it run overnight to check for errors?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Im_Special posted:

Anyway, I've heard of MemTest86 before but never actually used it, do I just grab the latest version (MemTest86 v7.3 free edition) put it on a USB, then boot from it and let it run overnight to check for errors?

Download Universal Boot CD, burn it to a CD or USB

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Run memtest86+ off it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Im_Special posted:

gently caress yes it does. I just pulled a stick from a work server that would randomly crash the poo poo out of the system anytime it pleased. It worked fine for like a year before failing. Memtest found 65k+ errors within 5 seconds of starting on the stick. It was Hynix RAM.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bieeardo posted:

Authentication calls are a doozy, you just punch in your key and a robot spews some numbers back at you. Don't worry about it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering that reports of pseudo-random BSODs are popping up everywhere on a variety of forums, where people attested a stable system going to poo poo after CU, I think the blame shifts from suddenly bad RAM back to Microsoft.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Am I rolling the dice now with steadfastly refusing to use online accounts and still use Local Accounts for my Win 10 installs? I mean, I make sure to Macrium Reflect images before every major feature update and all, but now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and ensure I can easily re-authenticate my keys should worst come to worst. The next update in the fall looks set to be a rather major UI change, and I might no get so lucky again with my rather painless upgrades like I did for Anniversary and Creators.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Am I rolling the dice now with steadfastly refusing to use online accounts and still use Local Accounts for my Win 10 installs? I mean, I make sure to Macrium Reflect images before every major feature update and all, but now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and ensure I can easily re-authenticate my keys should worst come to worst. The next update in the fall looks set to be a rather major UI change, and I might no get so lucky again with my rather painless upgrades like I did for Anniversary and Creators.

Nope. An interface change isn't going to make the license assigned to your hardware configuration go away any time soon.

I'm sure there's downsides to using a Microsoft account to log in but I haven't run into one yet (maybe, depending on whether you think the name of the folder for your local user account data being derived from your Microsoft account address is a problem).

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering that reports of pseudo-random BSODs are popping up everywhere on a variety of forums, where people attested a stable system going to poo poo after CU, I think the blame shifts from suddenly bad RAM back to Microsoft.
It's gotten to the point where I keep Ubuntu on a live usb install just so I can run tests when something craps out after an update.

Biggest example offhand: my bluetooth dongle suddenly stopped working. Ubuntu recognized it fine. Bluetooth functionality came back after a full Win 10 reinstall.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I converted my Win 10 Pro to Win 10 Enterprise with an in place upgrade. What really caught me off guard is the system is much faster now. Things that had delays like loading my TV tuner are now instant. I don't know why this would be. Maybe less overhead from telemetry?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

(maybe, depending on whether you think the name of the folder for your local user account data being derived from your Microsoft account address is a problem).

If you create a local account first, then convert it to a linked one, you get to choose the local account name and in turn the profile folder name.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

Authentication calls are a doozy, you just punch in your key and a robot spews some numbers back at you. Don't worry about it.

I ended up having to call support, because I couldn't get the automated system working. Took us a while, but the dude was courteous and I didn't have anywhere to go. Definitely making an image of my boot partition once everything's reinstalled, though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

I converted my Win 10 Pro to Win 10 Enterprise with an in place upgrade. What really caught me off guard is the system is much faster now. Things that had delays like loading my TV tuner are now instant. I don't know why this would be. Maybe less overhead from telemetry?

That's really rather interesting. I wonder if we could get some repeatable tests showing this..

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I mean an in place upgrade probably still reinstalls windows, right? It's not the telemetry but something else that got nuked along the way. Probably.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Telemetry has essentially 0 impact. You probably had some sort of weird other process (likely third party) running that got silently disabled in the upgrade process, and you just didn't notice it had been running in the first place.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

fishmech posted:

Telemetry has essentially 0 impact. You probably had some sort of weird other process (likely third party) running that got silently disabled in the upgrade process, and you just didn't notice it had been running in the first place.

This, though I noted in the last few CU builds it seemed slightly more responsive across different computers.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Nope, I run a tight ship here. It's odd. Nothing else changed. Even the GFX driver for my AMD card didn't upgrade. I know telemetry shouldn't affect anything and yet my computer is faster. i7 / 32GB / NVMe SSD.

I'll do some more snooping around. Maybe it's something I haven't though of... what other differences are there between Pro and Enterprise? I did use GPEdit.msc to disable all the telemetry stuff and it should work on Enterprise.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You could just enable telemetry again. If is doesn't slow down again, the problem probably was somewhere else. If is does... :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tamba posted:

You could just enable telemetry again. If is doesn't slow down again, the problem probably was somewhere else. If is does... :tinfoil:

I tired this and yes, it made no difference. Enterprise is just faster than Pro