Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Is it generally recommended to do a clean install after any of these larger updates or should everything still be fine? I think I may have done a clean install after the last update but don't remember why. The only thing I noticed after 1709 finished installing was that the Nvidia drivers weren't being recognized or used properly, so I did a quick uninstall and reinstall of those and they seem fine now. I didn't test performance before or after to know whether anything's worse, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Update works fine on my Surface so far, but on my desktop the Edge UI is really chugging. Webpages run just fine, but opening new tabs and windows, clicking in the address bar, etc. all have a delay of about half a second. Also, isn't there meant to be shape writing for the keyboard now?

I’ve had the same problem for months even prior to the patch.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dont be mean to me posted:

We can eliminate C:, D:, and E:, and Recovery is presumably the Recovery Partition, so at a guess it's the EFI System Partition.

It's fine, it won't change more often than once every upgrade cycle at any rate; don't fiddle with it.

If you're wondering why you can't optimize it, it's tiny and also FAT32 because that's the only thing an EFI firmware is guaranteed to be able to boot from. I don't remember if it's either or both of those that makes the defragmenter pack it in, though.

What makes it pack it in is that the partition will almost never have fragmented files, or even free space that needs rearranging

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I have been fooling around with WSL since it’s stable now. I replaced an Ubuntu image with an OpenSUSE Tumbleweed image I pulled off of Docker using the new Windows Store images. If you want info on how I did it, I can provide it, but it’s really just moving files out of %LocalAppData%\Packages and editing HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Lxss. You have to be careful never to copy or edit WSL files or extract distribution images outside of the WSL instance, though, since that will erase stuff like symbolic links. Reading, moving, and renaming files works fine.

I did notice that you can’t start daemons through WSL since it replaces the init system with a stripped-down one. You can switch to a different one in the registry, but most major distributions use systemd, which needs cgroups, which WSL doesn’t support.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is anyone else missing OneDrive placeholders? As far as I'm aware the option to enable/disable it should be under OneDrive Settings > Settings tab, but all I see there is General and Notifications. Can someone check and see if their settings tab is any different?

Edit: apparently I'm running a OneDrive version from April, and the fall creators update didn't update it, so I'm having to do it manually. :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 18, 2017

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I had the same issue. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/fpintos/2017/10/18/onedrive-not-updated-after-upgrade-to-windows-10-1709/ has a direct link to the new version, as the OneDrive download page is still providing the older one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
1709 nuked my RSAT tools on my work laptop. Otherwise, pretty smooth upgrade.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Actuarial Fables posted:

I had the same issue. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/fpintos/2017/10/18/onedrive-not-updated-after-upgrade-to-windows-10-1709/ has a direct link to the new version, as the OneDrive download page is still providing the older one.

As I just today discovered; cheers for the link!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

1709 nuked my RSAT tools on my work laptop. Otherwise, pretty smooth upgrade.
These semi-annual full upgrade installs will always nuke RSAT tools due to the unusual way they are distributed. Usually you can reinstall the .msu and then activate the features again, but sometimes they break and you have to wait for a new package. Were you able to just reinstall the existing msu?

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Is there any way to heavily modify the on-screen keyboard? I'm talking if there's a will there's a way level of hacking it.

I actually like the default one, but there's a ton of empty black space on it with my 15.4" screen and I could fit a number pad and num row without shrinking the current layout.

I tried the "standard" keyboard option that's hidden away in settings, but would much rather use the default one with extra buttons added to the left, right, and top.

e: Found this, for some reason my first few googlings whiffed
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-keyboard-layout-windows-10

wide stance fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 18, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tangential, but is it just me or is Google's search algorithm a little too clever for its own good these days? Sometimes I'll try googling for solutions to my various and myriad Win10 problems, and instead of new results I haven't seen before, it continues to serve up the same crap that I've already clicked on and not found useful.

I have to open up an incognito window to start getting fresh results again.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 19, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm having a weird problem after installing the fall creators update. The brightness on both my monitors got significantly darker. Both of them are set to max brightness in the actual monitor settings and I had the ICC color profile provided by LG installed and they were perfect before the update. Any idea what might cause that? Just a bug in windows probably? The only way to fix it seems to be to run monitor calibration and set the gamma higher but that makes a different sRGB ICC profile and doesn't use the one from LG.

Does anyone know how to change the gamma in an ICC color profile while keeping that same profile? I don't really know how any of the color stuff works I just know that my brightness is way lower than before the update and I'd like to make everything look as close as possible to the way it looked before.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I had the same thing on my LG 4K monitor - perhaps it just doesn't like the icc profile much

I just ran the screen calibration thing and bumped the gamma up until it looked okay to me but yeah a proper solution would be good

e. After nothing but bad experiences with phones, tablets and TVs I swore I'd never buy an LG device again but I figured the screen would be okay because it isn't like there is any software for them to screw up :(

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

dissss posted:

I had the same thing on my LG 4K monitor - perhaps it just doesn't like the icc profile much

I just ran the screen calibration thing and bumped the gamma up until it looked okay to me but yeah a proper solution would be good

e. After nothing but bad experiences with phones, tablets and TVs I swore I'd never buy an LG device again but I figured the screen would be okay because it isn't like there is any software for them to screw up :(

I found a temporary workaround by going into Nvidia control panel and going to: Display>Adjust desktop color settings>2. Choose how color is set. and then changing it to Use NVIDIA settings. The brightness immediately goes back to normal when I hit apply. Unfortunately it seems to reset back to dark when the computer is restarted.

I have two LG ultrawide monitors and they're both having the same problem, and I saw other people with this issue elsewhere on the internet say they have LG screens so it definitely seems to be a problem with LG screens or their ICC profile somehow.

Fiddling with the gamma setting in Nvidia control panel and flipping it back and forth it seems to be using 0.61 gamma in the (broken) default profile. The Nvidia default setting of 1.00 looks like what it normally looked like before the update.

Stuff like this (or when Lowtax changes the font size :v:) is really annoying because it's really hard to tell initially if something actually changed or you're just going crazy.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 19, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Cool. Back at that point where Edge will no longer remember screen size/position ever again.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Does anyone else have the problem when Edge will just spontaneously lose your bookmarks? I'm guessing it has to do with Edge being updated but seriously if this happens to everyone that's ridiculous.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

CFox posted:

Does anyone else have the problem when Edge will just spontaneously lose your bookmarks? I'm guessing it has to do with Edge being updated but seriously if this happens to everyone that's ridiculous.

Seems like Windows working as intended to me. You simply didn't need those bookmarks.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

If you’re banging your head against the wall trying to go from 1607 to 1709 and the update keeps failing, try decrypting your disk first. I just spent too much time trying to figure that one out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Installed 1709. Nothing has broke, the fluent design seems nice but nothing overwhelmingly different. It’s cool to sync. specific files with OneDrive but I’m already syncing everything.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

CFox posted:

It once in a while loses my previous tabs on startup, but not bookmarks, no. Possibly a sync issue with your Live account?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
This is on my work laptop so it's a domain account, that probably has something to do with it I'd guess.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

my kinda ape posted:

I found a temporary workaround by going into Nvidia control panel and going to: Display>Adjust desktop color settings>2. Choose how color is set. and then changing it to Use NVIDIA settings. The brightness immediately goes back to normal when I hit apply. Unfortunately it seems to reset back to dark when the computer is restarted.

Is the screen dark and muted but the mouse pointer is bright white like normal? I used to get that

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Finally got my mouse to stop waking up my computer. Had to go into device manager and discovered that I had 3 keyboard entries. Two of them were actually for my mouse. Turned off allowing them to wake to computer and it's actually staying asleep now

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

baka kaba posted:

Is the screen dark and muted but the mouse pointer is bright white like normal? I used to get that

Nvidia drivers hardware-render the mouse cursor by default; it'll be color-unmanaged (and thus stark white to stark black) on any color profile. This is very noticeable during Night Shift.

Intel doesn't and I can't speak for AMD. Also for whatever reason resizing windows with the mouse software-renders its cursor.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Nvidia drivers hardware-render the mouse cursor by default; it'll be color-unmanaged (and thus stark white to stark black) on any color profile. This is very noticeable during Night Shift.

Also for whatever reason resizing windows with the mouse software-renders its cursor.

An ages old mystery, finally solved. Is there any particular reason why Nvidia drivers behave this way with the mouse pointer or is this just a weird quirk that exists for reasons unknown?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Intel doesn't and I can't speak for AMD. Also for whatever reason resizing windows with the mouse software-renders its cursor.

Yeah I figured that, it just reminded me of this issue where sometimes coming out of sleep the whole screen would be shaded (except the pointer), and I'd have to sleep/wake it again until it went ok

I'm not sure what I did to fix it, but I'm pretty sure it was some conflict between Windows's colour management and the video card software, or maybe f.lux? I just let Windows handle it in the end, no tweaks anywhere else (and no f.lux either)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Finally got my mouse to stop waking up my computer. Had to go into device manager and discovered that I had 3 keyboard entries. Two of them were actually for my mouse. Turned off allowing them to wake to computer and it's actually staying asleep now

This took me forever to figure out, I had the Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard with Unifying receiver, I wanted to be able to wake with keyboard and not mouse... turns out I have to turn off keyboard-wake to turn off the mouse wake, doesn't seem to be a way around it. Now I just push the power button to wake from sleep instead. Better than a butterfly flapping its wings in Japan and triggering the mouse-wake at 5AM.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ruflux posted:

An ages old mystery, finally solved. Is there any particular reason why Nvidia drivers behave this way with the mouse pointer or is this just a weird quirk that exists for reasons unknown?

Every modern graphics card has hardware rendered mouse cursors, it's the standard behavior Windows has relied on for ages and also standard in graphics hardware for about as long. It's also only "stark white to stark black" if you have chosen to use a cursor image that is such, there's nothing in hardware rendering that requires it to be that way.

There appears rather to be a problem in nVidia drivers failing to properly color correct it, but it's not because of hardware rendering as AMD and Intel graphics drivers aren't having the same problem.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

I’ve had the same problem for months even prior to the patch.

So, having tried everything to fix Edge, including forcing a reinstall through Powershell, I resorted to a hard reset and it started running properly again. So that's probably the only option you've got if you want it up and running again. :cry:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

my kinda ape posted:

I have two LG ultrawide monitors and they're both having the same problem, and I saw other people with this issue elsewhere on the internet say they have LG screens so it definitely seems to be a problem with LG screens or their ICC profile somehow.

I kept getting something similar to this on reboots and it was fixed by playing around with the color settings until the next time I rebooted. I thought it was a night shift thing since my monitors became very pink. I seem to have finally "fixed" it for real by uninstalling my ICC profiles and just relying on the OSD adjustments. I get like 95% of the way there with OSD adjustments because lots of stuff doesn't work well with ICC profiles so I try to have the color shift as minimal as possible. I might get my colorimeter again and recalibrate, but I don't know where it is right now so I can't say if making a new profile allows it to work fine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, having tried everything to fix Edge, including forcing a reinstall through Powershell, I resorted to a hard reset and it started running properly again. So that's probably the only option you've got if you want it up and running again. :cry:

What’s the Powershell cmd and this hard reset?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Powershell command I found here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/edge/373213-can-i-reinstall-microsoft-edge-browser.html You can also find reset options for Edge by selecting it in Apps & Features and clicking Advanced Options which you should try first.

The hard reset you can find under Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, which reinstalls Windows. It keeps your Store apps, files and settings if you ask it to, but any desktop programs will need to be reinstalled.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

fishmech posted:

There appears rather to be a problem in nVidia drivers failing to properly color correct it, but it's not because of hardware rendering as AMD and Intel graphics drivers aren't having the same problem.

I can't speak for the more recent AMD drivers, but in the past I had to set the registry key for mouse trails to an invalid value (-1) to force software rendering on my AMD card and allow f.lux to color the cursor.

In the end it caused too many lovely issues with games (and Adobe software), so I just set my monitor's color temperature less blue and got rid of f.lux and that dumb registry hack. I haven't gone back to check how it behaves with Nvidia though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
1709's been sitting at 98% for the better part of an hour now. Going to let it think to itself while I sleep, then look into options if it hasn't completed by the time I get up.

Edit: Eight hours later and I'm back. That was pleasantly surprising.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 20, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Win updates just grabbed 1709.

Hoping this doesn't go fucky. I need this machine tomorrow.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I read an article about a new security feature in the Fall Creators update but isn't on by default. It's called "Controlled Folder Access", and it's under Windows Defender Security Center > Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & Threat Protection Settings. Apparently, it's supposed to be the new anti-ransomware feature in that it stops unauthorized programs from making edits to files in your personal folders: it only protects the default folders under User/(User Name) by default, but you can add more obviously.

Now, it says it'll let known good apps through... but what power user only uses the default Windows apps or crap from the Windows Store? So far, I've had to whitelist VLC and ShareX to let them change their own config files. Might be a good safety feature in the future, but until its whitelisting becomes more comprehensive/everything shifts over to the Windows Store, it's probably for the best it remain off by default for the time being.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Since updating my NUC to the 1709 version I have an absurd amount of CPU used for what should amount to background tasks:

Anyone seen something similar or any idea what could be causing something like that?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Holy balls, this update is taking a while. It's been three loving hours, and only at 17%.

I know Microsoft progress meters are utterly useless, but goddamnit, I had _things_ to do.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

No problems here with it, yet. Everything still works.

Some weird people bar in the taskbar now *disable*. Not noticing any strange CPU use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Windows Hello is the stupidest loving piece of poo poo in the world. And here I was looking forward to 2FA. But no, I have to set a PIN, which is going to be considerably less-secure than the password that I've already set. And removing the pin removes the fingerprint as well. What the ever-loving gently caress.