Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I assumed that the Films & TV app just ran like dogshit for some videos (especially .mkv), turns out there's an extension in the Store called MPEG-2 Video Extension that's required to un-dogshit the app. Same with .webm files, I needed an extension from the Store to get some of them to play in Edge.

I assume there's a reason these extensions aren't built in, but why don't they advertise them more? I would never have known without some extensive googling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I assumed that the Films & TV app just ran like dogshit for some videos (especially .mkv), turns out there's an extension in the Store called MPEG-2 Video Extension that's required to un-dogshit the app. Same with .webm files, I needed an extension from the Store to get some of them to play in Edge.

I assume there's a reason these extensions aren't built in, but why don't they advertise them more? I would never have known without some extensive googling.

Somewhere between licensing hell and gentle prodding to get standards, maybe, I don't know.

Fun fact: some old games have their audio encoded in MPEG2, and without it title videos have no sound and in-game video can cause the game to throw up without that extension.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Some real computer janitoring going on in this thread.

Seems right. Janitors clean up the trash, AppX belongs in the trash.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Because MS gives them to you for free but has to pay a fraction of a cent to MPEG-LA every time someone installs it.

the built in video apps will always be dogshit, get VLC or MPC-HC

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
1hr 45min in on a 2.5hr makeMKV rip and Windows 10 Home is smart enough to not abandoned ship for an extremely unimportant update, right?? Hahahaha gently caress this poo poo. Will obtaining a 10 Pro license make this less miserable? Is there any better software out there for ripping Blu-ray?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have an Office 2016 Pro Plus license that is "download only", ie the click to run app. Since I really only use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint I was messing around with the deployment tool to make it only install those apps and exclude the stuff I don't use.

Ever since then I have these 2 folder icons show up on my desktop that have no labels and a sort of strange right-click menu. I can delete them but within a few minutes they come right back.

I've tried uninstalling Office to see if that fixes it, but nope. Any ideas? The create shortcut option does nothing and you can't actually open them.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 15, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

phosdex posted:

I have an Office 2016 Pro Plus license that is "download only", ie the click to run app. Since I really only use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint I was messing around with the deployment tool to make it only install those apps and exclude the stuff I don't use.

Ever since then I have these 2 folder icons show up on my desktop that have no labels and a sort of strange right-click menu. I can delete them but within a few minutes they come right back.

Try starting CMD and run these two:
code:
dir /A %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
dir /A C:\Users\Public\Desktop
Paste the full results (delete lines with personal stuff you don't want to share), or at least check if there are any oddly named items that don't match up with files and shortcuts you expect.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Some real computer janitoring going on in this thread.

Reminds me of someone who installed Windows 10 only to start hacking it back to look/function like Windows 7 only for it to go wrong and require a :killdozer:

Paging ThirdWorldReggin to the thread

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

xamphear posted:

Someone make that script a GUI that lists all the APPX packages on a system, lets you check boxes next to the ones you personally don't want, and then hit a single button to uninstall them.

Please, and thank you.

get-appxpackage | out-gridview -passthru | remove-appxpackage

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Ghostlight posted:

Hahaha, poo poo. Well done.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a Server 2012 license, and most of my PCs are running W10 Pro (I have like two that run Home I think). How much of a hell am I going to get myself into trying to run a local WSUS mirror?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have a Server 2012 license, and most of my PCs are running W10 Pro (I have like two that run Home I think). How much of a hell am I going to get myself into trying to run a local WSUS mirror?

Domain.. so lots.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

redeyes posted:

Domain.. so lots.

Would it be an easier fix to virtualize a W10 instance on my fileserver that could serve stuff on the local network via the normal mechanism? Anything in particular I would have to do to make it visible, apart from the usual Windows Update settings?

(I purge update files relatively quickly using the disk cleanup tool, because I don't have hundreds of GBs to burn on my SSDs, but as long as it's on a spinning disk then whatever.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Argh, why did I never realize that you could use out-gridview like this.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

nielsm posted:

Try starting CMD and run these two:
code:
dir /A %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
dir /A C:\Users\Public\Desktop
Paste the full results (delete lines with personal stuff you don't want to share), or at least check if there are any oddly named items that don't match up with files and shortcuts you expect.

I got it fixed by removing some registry keys. https://superuser.com/questions/719355/2-empty-folders-still-appearing-on-desktop-even-after-deletion

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Paul MaudDib posted:

Would it be an easier fix to virtualize a W10 instance on my fileserver that could serve stuff on the local network via the normal mechanism? Anything in particular I would have to do to make it visible, apart from the usual Windows Update settings?

(I purge update files relatively quickly using the disk cleanup tool, because I don't have hundreds of GBs to burn on my SSDs, but as long as it's on a spinning disk then whatever.)

Why not just use the P2P update topology that's already built in to the OS? The inbound files should be staggered enough that you won't get the same content pulling down at the same time unless manually triggering updates at the same time on each system.

If you're dead-set on it, you can point your Pro clients at the WSUS mirror through a local policy without domain enrolling them. But you're still probably in CAL-HELL at that point.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 18, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I guess Im not clear what you want to accomplish. If you want to control OS updates, you need a domain for WSUS. That means migrating your Windows computer profiles to the AD. If you just want file sharing, 2012 server works fine but I just got done shitcanning my 2012 server because all I ended up using was SMB file sharing anyways. So now I'm just using a Win 10 Pro load. Funny enough, its file shares work correctly with stuff like the Win 10 Groove Music app while 2012 do not. Never could figure out why.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One improvement I appreciate in Fall Creators is a tiny lock screen thing. Before, when unlocking my tablet, it would often just sit on a black or corrupted screen for a while, unresponsive. Now it immediately displays the lock screen image, but without any interaction elements. So at least indicating that it's waking back up or something.
I don't like the touch keyboard performance with suggestions enabled, absurdly sluggish and constantly losing inputs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The fall update seems pretty legit. I am noticing a lot less bugs and there are some nice added features. My favorite is Edge can read webpages outloud. I've wanted that feature since I was a kid!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Stanley Pain posted:

Reminds me of someone who installed Windows 10 only to start hacking it back to look/function like Windows 7 only for it to go wrong and require a :killdozer:

yo if i had a dollar for every time i did this lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

1hr 45min in on a 2.5hr makeMKV rip and Windows 10 Home is smart enough to not abandoned ship for an extremely unimportant update, right?? Hahahaha gently caress this poo poo. Will obtaining a 10 Pro license make this less miserable? Is there any better software out there for ripping Blu-ray?

Crazy idea: don't ignore the "you need to restart your PC or we will do it for you" notice forever.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Crazy idea: don't ignore the "you need to restart your PC or we will do it for you" notice forever.
No actually I usually like updating windows, I let my desktop automatically update at 3am every patch Tuesday, check periodically in between, and check the shut down menu daily to see if it wants the install updates. I have never had an issue with updates interrupting me on my always on desktop with 10 Pro. The laptop on the other hand, doesn't have the luxury of running 24/7 for 3am updates, instead it gets shutdown and rebooted far more often thus having more chances to conveniently install updates. To say this is my fault for ignoring update messages forever is simply not true as the laptop wasn't even running for multiple hours. The laptop had plenty of chances to install updates when convenient, I try to run updates and reboot it often, I find it hard to believe this is not a poor decision in Win 10 Home update management.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Why not just use the P2P update topology that's already built in to the OS? The inbound files should be staggered enough that you won't get the same content pulling down at the same time unless manually triggering updates at the same time on each system.

Is there a trick to getting that to work? I have five or six systems at home set to download from 'PCs on my local network' and none of them have ever done so.

Would be nice too because the ADSL I have here is beyond crap

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'd love to know that as well. 3 PCs and I'm using a verizon hotspot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently got a Windows 10 laptop for work. I attach it to two 1920x1080 monitors via a USB 3 dock. I've noticed that even at 100% scaling, a lot of Windows dialogs are a little blurry. I tried doing some Googling but only found people complaining about other programs, not Windows itself. How can I fix this?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hooah posted:

I recently got a Windows 10 laptop for work. I attach it to two 1920x1080 monitors via a USB 3 dock. I've noticed that even at 100% scaling, a lot of Windows dialogs are a little blurry. I tried doing some Googling but only found people complaining about other programs, not Windows itself. How can I fix this?

Is your laptop screen using a scaling other than 100%? Display scaling still kinda sucks, the only way to be sure that an app isn't going through it is for all screens to be at 100%. One solution might be to disable the laptop screen when you plug into the external monitors.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
So I activated my $25 Win 10 Pro key for my 2nd PC from that awesome seller at SA-mart, just wondering if that only works until 31 Dec this year?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Palladium posted:

So I activated my $25 Win 10 Pro key for my 2nd PC from that awesome seller at SA-mart, just wondering if that only works until 31 Dec this year?

The license is valid forever. December 31st is just the final chance to claim it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

nielsm posted:

The license is valid forever. December 31st is just the final chance to claim it.

I see and heh, the tears of "EVIL MS DIDN'T WARN ME ABOUT FREE/CHEAP W10 BEFOREHAND" are going to be glorious past the deadline.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's also a chance they actually got a Windows 10 key, I guess.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder if they'll extend it again.

When I shut mine down, if programs are running, I get the solid colour screen with the option to shut down anyway - all good.

But the screen is light yellow with white writing. That's pretty dumb not to ensure a minimum level of contrast, ms.

#pisstapewallpaperfail

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Klyith posted:

Is your laptop screen using a scaling other than 100%? Display scaling still kinda sucks, the only way to be sure that an app isn't going through it is for all screens to be at 100%. One solution might be to disable the laptop screen when you plug into the external monitors.

Yup, everything's set to 100% scaling.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

If it actually stops working it will be surprising.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

Is there a trick to getting that to work? I have five or six systems at home set to download from 'PCs on my local network' and none of them have ever done so.

Would be nice too because the ADSL I have here is beyond crap

I am pretty sure for it to work you need working IPv6 on your network. Took me awhile but I have full IPv6 on my network thanks to a Mikrotik router.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Crotch Fruit posted:

No actually I usually like updating windows, I let my desktop automatically update at 3am every patch Tuesday, check periodically in between, and check the shut down menu daily to see if it wants the install updates. I have never had an issue with updates interrupting me on my always on desktop with 10 Pro. The laptop on the other hand, doesn't have the luxury of running 24/7 for 3am updates, instead it gets shutdown and rebooted far more often thus having more chances to conveniently install updates. To say this is my fault for ignoring update messages forever is simply not true as the laptop wasn't even running for multiple hours. The laptop had plenty of chances to install updates when convenient, I try to run updates and reboot it often, I find it hard to believe this is not a poor decision in Win 10 Home update management.

The :effort: fix to this is to set whatever wireless networks you use to "metered" or whatever so it doesn't auto-download and you can do it manually when you want to. This has worked great as a "leave me the gently caress alone" button on similarly utilized devices of mine that the group policy fix didn't work on for whatever reason.

mystes
May 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

If it actually stops working it will be surprising.
I think I may have said this before, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually stop it this time because they are probably aware that most "upgrades" now are people installing Windows 10 on new computers rather than actual upgrades of existing installations, which is what they were trying to encourage by making it free.

Any remaining windows 7 users will probably just end up buying new computers if they need windows 10 at some point and that also probably suits Microsoft fine.

They achieved the mission of getting enough users on Windows 10 to make companies eventually upgrading inevitable which was probably what counts.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 20, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

mystes posted:

I think I may have said this before, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually stop it this time because they are probably aware that most "upgrades" now are people installing Windows 10 on new computers rather than actual upgrades of existing installations, which is what they were trying to encourage by making it free.

Any remaining windows 7 users will probably just end up buying new computers if they need windows 10 at some point and that also probably suits Microsoft fine.

They achieved the mission of getting most home users on Windows 10 which is probably what counts.

Windows is a service now, and they are getting money from OEMs and from bundling in lovely games and tie-ins with Xbox stuff.

It’s way easier for Microsoft to support letting people upgrade to Windows 10 forever than to deal with all the irritated emails from people who can’t do it all of a sudden.

Besides, the only thing “ending” at the end of this year is the assistive services upgrade. The loophole to upgrade to Windows 10 by entering a valid 7 or 8 key “ended” in July of 2016.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hooah posted:

Shut the lid of the laptop before you sign into Windows, or disable the laptop screen in the display settings then sign out and back in. The problem is Windows is trying to use the laptop screen DPI to set the scaling for all three screens rather than their individual DPIs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

They achieved the mission of getting enough users on Windows 10 to make companies eventually upgrading inevitable which was probably what counts.

they also officially ended the upgrade what, 1 or 2 years ago .. who knows

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ghostlight posted:

Shut the lid of the laptop before you sign into Windows, or disable the laptop screen in the display settings then sign out and back in. The problem is Windows is trying to use the laptop screen DPI to set the scaling for all three screens rather than their individual DPIs.

Turns out the laptop had somehow gotten set to 125% scaling when not connected to the dock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmmm, the new insider preview has the registry stuff factored out from the kernel into its own process. I wonder what's going on here longterm. They've already said that eventually that data is going to be compressed in RAM (isn't yet). I guess it's related to the ongoing kernel refactoring/modularization.