Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Last Chance posted:

It's a MENU. how, in 2018 can a MENU not work properly?!

sorry to doublepost but my start menu was broke exactly like that person's so this hits a sore spot. But that was during Windows 10's initial release. It was fixed after one of the big updates, but boy howdy it drove me nuts. Glad to see it make a comeback for some poor soul who just wanted to run an app on the computer

This has been something that I was also wondering about. Twice my start menu would fail to search executables. After it always working in 7 and 8 you get dependent on it and then it breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I've had my start menu fail on two machines with the Anniversary update some time back, was later fixed via Windows Update. Seems to be a pretty universal experience.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems the problem fixes itself after some time. The screen flashes and then the menus start working again. Maybe it is some kind of incompatibility with some driver or program I'm using. These kinds of problems aren't that easy to solve though...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Start menu works here, it just flickers as if it's taking it some time to render.

This is two fresh installs, one after the other on the same machine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The start menu in Windows 10 is a clusterfuck. It's a Win32 process that draws the taskbar and the desktop, which then remotes(!) into a separate UWP process, that runs the start menu flyout and the action bar. The UWP stuff is pretty fickle in regards to security settings in the system. If it considers something off, UWP apps won't initialize properly.

I wonder if that UWP XAML island bullshit is a result of the Explorer/desktop team bashing the heads in of the UWP guys. That'd get rid of remoting. I hope anyway, because I wouldn't put it past Microsoft of just abstracting it away. Too lazy to look it up.

--edit:
The Build 2018 video about desktop stuff says the XAML islands run in the same process as they're being hosted in, so no remoting.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 12, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The start menu in Windows 10 is a clusterfuck. It's a Win32 process that draws the taskbar and the desktop, which then remotes(!) into a separate UWP process, that runs the start menu flyout and the action bar. The UWP stuff is pretty fickle in regards to security settings in the system. If it considers something off, UWP apps won't initialize properly.

I wonder if that UWP XAML island bullshit is a result of the Explorer/desktop team bashing the heads in of the UWP guys. That'd get rid of remoting. I hope anyway, because I wouldn't put it past Microsoft of just abstracting it away. Too lazy to look it up.

--edit:
The Build 2018 video about desktop stuff says the XAML islands run in the same process as they're being hosted in, so no remoting.

"XAML islands", no wonder poo poo breaks.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Did a fresh install of 1803 yesterday. Still activates on Win7 keys fwiw.

Also I was quite pleased to see its install footprint at 15GB. Typical fresh installs pre-1803 came in at 24-28GB

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

"XAML islands", no wonder poo poo breaks.
At this point probably a better solution than this two process bullshit with RPC.

That said, these people should just go gently caress themselves and detach the dependency on the app container. Because that's the main problem. You can't run a generated UWP executable (for an entirely UWP app) outside the secured app container, because then the relevant COM components will just fail to initialize. Reasons you'd want to run outside the app container is using APIs that still aren't available in UWP but just Win32. Or just not deal with the file management of UWP.

Instead, the stupid solution we get now is to run a dummy Win32 window and sort of host an UWP app in that one. Which probably also means we still don't get the UWP window chrome stuff.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What's the difference between pro and home? Is there any real benefit to getting pro for home use?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Zerilan posted:

What's the difference between pro and home? Is there any real benefit to getting pro for home use?

BitLocker encryption.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bitlocker is the main one for home use, it lets you encrypt your disk in case of theft or whatever. There's other features but most aren't that useful on a home pc:
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/features/windows-10-home-vs-windows-10-pro-differences-new-features-718532

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It’s silly that Bitlocker isn’t standard across all Windows 10 SKUs.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bobfather posted:

It’s silly that Bitlocker isn’t standard across all Windows 10 SKUs.

It never actually inconvenienced me, but it always bothered me that windows 7 had RAM limits and other weird features cut for different versions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

MS really would like to charge you more for small differences between versions. In windows 10 they have a little of this mentality but also a lot of goals for Windows as a Service through some kind of subscription model. It's coming!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pro also has Hyper-V, if you need it for whatever reason.

Which is kind of stupid that it requires pro. Even on Home, if you have the Core Isolation (and Memory Integrity) features enabled, it fires up Hyper-V anyway. It just doesn't let you create user VMs.

It also has Windows Subsystem for Linux, if you need that, and the ability to run as a single user remote desktop server.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rexxed posted:

It never actually inconvenienced me, but it always bothered me that windows 7 had RAM limits and other weird features cut for different versions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

MS really would like to charge you more for small differences between versions. In windows 10 they have a little of this mentality but also a lot of goals for Windows as a Service through some kind of subscription model. It's coming!

The only versions there with meaningful RAM limits are the super cheap versions meant for substandard hardware to be honest.

Same way the difference between the 128 GB ram limit on 10 Home versus 2 TB ram limit on 10 Pro isn't going to matter for many many years.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Having issues with win10 installation. New CPU/mobo/recently formatted ssd. Used USB win10 iso to install. Created partition through installation process, creating recovery/etc partitions and the primary one. Installed win10 to primary partition. When it rebooted, getting bootmgr missing error.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zerilan posted:

Having issues with win10 installation. New CPU/mobo/recently formatted ssd. Used USB win10 iso to install. Created partition through installation process, creating recovery/etc partitions and the primary one. Installed win10 to primary partition. When it rebooted, getting bootmgr missing error.

Make sure any disks that aren't the SSD are disconnected because windows likes to put boot stuff on any disk it can find rather than the primary disk. Don't manually create any partitions in the installer, just delete them all, select the unpartitioned space and hit next and it will make its own partition scheme it likes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rexxed posted:

Make sure any disks that aren't the SSD are disconnected because windows likes to put boot stuff on any disk it can find rather than the primary disk. Don't manually create any partitions in the installer, just delete them all, select the unpartitioned space and hit next and it will make its own partition scheme it likes.

Two attempts after disconnecting my storage hdd it worked.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Rexxed posted:

Yup, I ran into this issue as well. Mostly because my SSD and HDD are the same capacity (1 TB) and during installation it was literally impossible to tell the difference. MS' list put the HDD in the first position. I had to unplug the HDD and start over when I heard it spinning (and realized it was slower than I was expecting from a SSD).

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

BitLocker encryption.

Isn't group policy editor Pro only too?

Its somewhat useful in disabling some of the more annoying features of Windows 10, like Cortana. Also disabling the "consumer experience".

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 13, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there an actual "shut down" option? I have a laptop that I rarely use, but every time I do I have to charge it up since "shut down" mode seems to just be a different version of hibernate so over the weeks the battery dies.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Medullah posted:

Is there an actual "shut down" option? I have a laptop that I rarely use, but every time I do I have to charge it up since "shut down" mode seems to just be a different version of hibernate so over the weeks the battery dies.

Isn't it just shift+shutdown?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Why does Microsoft think I want Candy crush installed?

Disabling that poo poo is a setting in the windows store app, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Medullah posted:

Hibernate (suspend to disk) doesn't use any power because the computer is completely off; the state of the RAM is just written to disk and then restored when you turn it back on. This also applies to fast startup in windows, which just suspends the kernel to disk.

Either you are sleeping (suspend to ram) which does use power to keep the ram active, in which case you should just use the shutdown option in the start menu, or the battery is being slowly discharged when your laptop is off, in which case there probably isn't anything you can do about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mystes posted:

Hibernate (suspend to disk) doesn't use any power because the computer is completely off; the state of the RAM is just written to disk and then restored when you turn it back on. This also applies to fast startup in windows, which just suspends the kernel to disk.

Either you are sleeping (suspend to ram) which does use power to keep the ram active, in which case you should just use the shutdown option in the start menu, or the battery is being slowly discharged when your laptop is off, in which case there probably isn't anything you can do about it.

I use Shutdown from the Start Menu. Looking at some Google searches, it seems that the suggestion of holding Shift + Shutdown is what I need to do.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Do you use hibernate at other times? If not, you could just disable that

From a command window:
powercfg -h off

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Why does Microsoft think I want Candy crush installed?

Disabling that poo poo is a setting in the windows store app, right?

...Because ~*~The Microsoft Consumer Experience~*~.

If you uninstall from the apps menu in settings, they won't come back*

*Until the next big <SEASON + YEAR> Creators UpdateTM, which is essentially reinstalling windows anyways so its no wonder it comes back.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Medullah posted:

I use Shutdown from the Start Menu. Looking at some Google searches, it seems that the suggestion of holding Shift + Shutdown is what I need to do.

Shift + shutdown is only different in that it doesn't write the unchanged system files from memory to disk like regular shutdown does.

There is literally no difference in the power state between the two, and any you perceive is psychological.

The only thing you're doing is changing the amount of time shutdown and startup take.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

Shift + shutdown is only different in that it doesn't write the unchanged system files from memory to disk like regular shutdown does.

There is literally no difference in the power state between the two, and any you perceive is psychological.

The only thing you're doing is changing the amount of time shutdown and startup take.

Yeah the reality is it fixes hardware devices that are 'stuck' not working, like for instance wifi cards. So no, the only thing you are not changing is OMG BOOT times.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

You're talking about a reboot, which is what shift + shutdown does the first part of.

There is still no difference in power off state between the two.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

You're talking about a reboot, which is what shift + shutdown does the first part of.

There is still no difference in power off state between the two.

Whatever technical differences there are. Doing it fixes things that don't work in a lot of cases.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

redeyes posted:

Whatever technical differences there are. Doing it fixes things that don't work in a lot of cases.

Except the person was talking about battery life when shut down.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

Except the person was talking about battery life when shut down.

A shut down is power off. Suspend/Sleep is affected for sure.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

redeyes posted:

A shut down is power off. Suspend/Sleep is affected for sure.

Suspend/sleep is different, yes.

But they were talking about shutdown vs shift + shutdown there there is no difference in power state.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redeyes please put yourself in shift-shutdown.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I put urmom in shift-restart. Fixed her good.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
For permanent Shift-Shutdown, simply disable Fast Startup in Power Options (old Control Panel).

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Tons of laptops sip tiny bits of power while "powered down" for random dumb functions. Be glad that it's weeks instead of days. Some sort of battery rundown while powered off is something I've come to expect out of laptops, personally.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 14, 2018

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Lambert posted:

For permanent Shift-Shutdown, simply disable Fast Startup in Power Options (old Control Panel).

This has been my go to in previous versions but with the latest update I no longer can even find options for it to enable/disable. If I do Start > Shutdown in the latest version I get the same thing of "shutting down" a fully charged laptop and then a week later finding the battery almost dead.

I had this issue when I first got the laptop (it came with win 10) and disabling fast boot solved the issue. But with the latest version I can't find that option anymore and disabling/enabling hibernate doesn't do anything to fix the battery drain issue or make the fast boot option appear (and of course I am clicking on the view advanced options link).

As to the claim that fast boot shouldn't be causing the issue I have read elsewhere that fast boot is a hybrid hibernation and still stores stuff in ram and thus does use power. This jives with my experience with the issue and other guides out there recommending to disable it because of that issue.

However, if it truly shouldn't be using power for that then there is still something else going on that used to coincidentally be solved when also disabling fast boot (or doing shift shutdown).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Raldikuk posted:

This has been my go to in previous versions but with the latest update I no longer can even find options for it to enable/disable.

I'm fully up-to-date and it's still there for me.

Right-click the Start Menu, select Power Options. Scroll down, and under "Related Settings" click Additional Power Options. This takes you to the traditional Control Panel Power Options window. On the left side, click "Choose what the power buttons do". Under "Shutdown settings", make sure "Turn on fast startup" is unchecked. You'll need to be on an admin account to change this - click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" near the top.