Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently this is a major reason why the search is completely hosed up: For at least all shipping applications, it seems to search for all translations of application names, too. So if you were to enter Kladblok, which is Dutch for Notepad, the relevant app would show up. If you look for Recortes, which is Spanish for Snipping Tool, said app shows up. I figure it applies to text fragments, too. So if you're looking for something, and the first few letters match the Albanian or whatever app title of the System Information tool, that will show as best match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
well ain't that a thing, kladblok works on my poo poo to bring up notepad as well

if google can do search right so can MS

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

kl- no results, kla to klad - Notepad, kladb until kladblok -no results. Hrm.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently this is a major reason why the search is completely hosed up: For at least all shipping applications, it seems to search for all translations of application names, too. So if you were to enter Kladblok, which is Dutch for Notepad, the relevant app would show up. If you look for Recortes, which is Spanish for Snipping Tool, said app shows up. I figure it applies to text fragments, too. So if you're looking for something, and the first few letters match the Albanian or whatever app title of the System Information tool, that will show as best match.

It does do that, but also if I type "update" (with Dell Command Update installed) I get

pre:
u - Check for updates
p - Check for updates
d - Dell Command Update
a - Check for updates
t - Dell Command Update
e - Dell Command Update
and similar fuckery if you type "Windows Update" where it matches "Windows Update Settings" until the last couple of letters where it decides you want to "Check for updates" instead. Maybe it's doing some wacky averaging across all languages, and that's why the match keeps jumping between two things?

redeyes posted:

if google can do search right so can MS

Google's "natural language" fuzzy searches are awful sometimes, especially if you're searching for something technical. It substitutes antonyms! The opposite of what you're looking for!

Thank god for the verbatim button

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

baka kaba posted:

It does do that, but also if I type "update" (with Dell Command Update installed) I get

Uhhh, mine's especially weird:
pre:
u - Uninstall tool (For Autodesk stuff)
p - Check for updates
d - Discord
a - Discord
t - Discord
e - Discord
s - Check for updates
No idea how it picks Discord

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Don't even get me started on how you have to bash Google into understanding that no, you did not misspell "and", you really are, specifically, looking for Advanced Micro Devices in this context.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sininu posted:

Uhhh, mine's especially weird:
pre:
u - Uninstall tool (For Autodesk stuff)
p - Check for updates
d - Discord
a - Discord
t - Discord
e - Discord
s - Check for updates
No idea how it picks Discord

It's because Discord's target path is "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Discord\Update.exe --processStart Discord.exe" and uh..I guess having a D in there makes it more likely to pick Discord? I dunno.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Don't even get me started on how you have to bash Google into understanding that no, you did not misspell "and", you really are, specifically, looking for Advanced Micro Devices in this context.

Shout-out to every PC troubleshooting site that wouldn't search for terms of three letters or less.

Got a problem with your RAM, CPU, HDD, or Windows 98, XP, 7, 8 or 10? Then feel free to go gently caress yourself!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Sininu posted:

kl- no results, kla to klad - Notepad, kladb until kladblok -no results. Hrm.

Same for me :psyduck:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm running a monitor with my laptop via HDMI. Usually I have PSVue running in Firefox on the monitor.

Is there a way to force new browser windows to open on my laptop screen rather than on the monitor?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

What the heck do I do when it looks like Windows Update has completely poo poo itself and is refusing to install updates since about May? I've tried just about everything that Google recommends -- dism, sfc, and both in Safe Mode, stopping services to delete files in the Windows Update directories... I've even tried having DISM point to an install USB but it still complains it can't find the files to fix the problem. I've tried a Windows refresh/reset to fix Windows 10 as a whole while preserving my files, but even that fails. Not even manually downloading the update packages and installing them that way works.

It's refusing to install KB4343902, KB4295110 and KB4134661 with error 0x800700c1.

Is there any way to fix this that I've missed, or do I have to bite the bullet and wipe everything and start over?

Did you upgrade your box from an older version of windows? I have the same error and I think it has to do with how windows 7 and 8.1 reserved a couple hundred megs of disk space for random system partitions on the boot disk and now that couple hundred megs is too small (at least, that's the only plausible explanation remaining to me, all the dism, sfc, etc things have fixed things but update is still not happening).

However, my updates are still working mostly normally, the only thing that doesn't update is the big 1803 so I'm just going to hold out until microsoft fixes it or my pc blows up.

e: poo poo nvm i'm dumb, my error is 8007001f

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Shout-out to every PC troubleshooting site that wouldn't search for terms of three letters or less.

Got a problem with your RAM, CPU, HDD, or Windows 98, XP, 7, 8 or 10? Then feel free to go gently caress yourself!

My god, my blood pressure just hit the roof being reminded. >.o;

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

boop the snoot posted:

I'm running a monitor with my laptop via HDMI. Usually I have PSVue running in Firefox on the monitor.

Is there a way to force new browser windows to open on my laptop screen rather than on the monitor?

Utilities like displayfusion are good for this. Alternatively you can write a little script in something like autohotkey or autoit.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

boop the snoot posted:

Display Fusion works really well for this so I'll second the recommendation.

Within Windows you'd have to set the monitor as your primary display device to have programs launch on it. There is nothing within Windows that will let you do this on a per app basis as far as I know.

Sometimes Windows will remember what screen something was on previously and launch it again on that one, it's not 100% though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sometimes Windows will look at what screen your mouse cursor is on and launch the application to that screen. Sometimes it won't, for the same application.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why did they remove the run command from the start menu

why did they recently disable homegroups

why do i find a new terrible thing about windows 10 whenever i try to do something i hadnt yet done with it before

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Relin posted:

why did they remove the run command from the start menu

Hit the Windows Key or click Start and start typing. Start > Run is redundant now.

Edit: I forgot about the actual use cases for Run. Solution in the reply is good.

Relin posted:

So far as I know, the functionality is still there, just not as straightforward. Probably because very few people actually used it.

Relin posted:

why do i find a new terrible thing about windows 10 whenever i try to do something i hadnt yet done with it before

No OS is perfect, and if you internalize the hysteria you're always going to find poo poo that's bad.

Just use it. Windows 10 is good.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 12, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hit the Windows Key or click Start and start typing. Start > Run is redundant now

Also, the run menu is mainly good for typing poo poo in and if you're on the keyboard already, you may as well hit Win + R.

e: Also also, apparently you can search for "Run" and when it shows you the run command in the search results, pin that to your Start menu.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 12, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlexDeGruven posted:

So far as I know, the functionality is still there, just not as straightforward. Probably because very few people actually used it.

No, it's disabled as of 1803.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

You can right-click the start menu button for a list of useful things, including Run.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Ofecks posted:

You can right-click the start menu button for a list of useful things, including Run.

Win + x is the shortcut for this awesome little menu :)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Cool, good to know, thanks.

Actually I have the below page bookmarked but I haven't memorized that much of it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Also, the run menu is mainly good for typing poo poo in and if you're on the keyboard already, you may as well hit Win + R.

Just lol if you have a windows key because your keyboard was made after 1995.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Rexxed posted:

Just lol if you have a windows key because your keyboard was made after 1995.

Sorry, I mistyped. I should have said Super + R. (What, you don't use a Space-cadet KB?)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Relin posted:

Apart from not being used a whole lot, it kept breaking for me. I had to reestablish the group every so often when it just stopped working.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

fishmech posted:

No, it's disabled as of 1803.
The name homegroup is gone. But any files or printers that were shared pre-1803 using HomeGroup will continue to be shared.
And you can still share new printer or files, just not via homegroup.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Microsoft intercepting Firefox and Chrome installation on Windows 10

lmao

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gross but I would bet lots of money that was for insider builds only and never intended to go further.

because insider is how they do QA now, and if none of the insiders use Edge how will they get QA data for it?

(could the complete lack of incentive to be an insider and get your poo poo hosed up with betas explain why their QA has been so bad lately? :iiam:)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sometimes the new Microsoft looks a lot like the old Microsoft.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I like the phrasing that they used. "Warned" indeed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
They’ve been doing something similar for as long as I can remember when you try to change the default browser from edge. But forcing a pop up during installations of other browsers is funny.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I guess they like to give the European Commission money

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raygereio posted:

The name homegroup is gone. But any files or printers that were shared pre-1803 using HomeGroup will continue to be shared.
And you can still share new printer or files, just not via homegroup.

Uh dude, homegroups is gone though.

Homegroups was used to simplify handling access rights, and granted access relationships do continue to work. And homegroups was never the only way to share access. It's completely dead.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So with the latest Windows 10 version, if you have a virtualization capable machine, it now enables Virtualization Based Security, which uses Hyper-V to create some secure kernel thingymajic. To help with that, Hyper-V has gotten a new scheduler type, called root scheduler, which allows CPU scheduling control by the host partition instead of Hyper-V itself. For shits and giggles I switched to the core scheduler in Hyper-V, and I could swear that near-idle CPU usage (say playing a Youtube video) is lower than before and graphical things are apparently a little smoother. Watchdogs 2 certainly is. Microsoft says one shouldn't use the core scheduler in client Windows, but here it seems to work just fine.

The performance improvements might just be my imagination, too, but I can't be assed to boot back and forth testing it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Latest Insider build went and loving deleted the driver for my wireless chipset in my laptop, and made the only available driver from the manufacturer incompatible. Great loving job, Windows! High quality poo poo there, especially on a near-RTM build

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thank u for your service beta testing goon

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
risking my laptop so you don't have to! beware of WiFi issues if you're planning to update

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

windows 10: still in beta, and beta tested in the future

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, whatever that last update did, it installed without my permission, and has now hosed Youtube in Chrome. Videos take a long-rear end time to load, and chop at the beginning because the sound needs to catch up, something it most certainly did not need to do an hour ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
my friend recommended i use UNC to access things since homegroups are gone, but... it says i need a password for the target machine. it has never had a password for any of the (1) users. network discovery and all that jazz is enabled